PDA

View Full Version : Captain Charles Johnson, Olivier Levasseur & Henry Morgan

MrSoKoLoV
11-07-2013, 12:06 AM
Was I the only one here who expected to see some of these known pirates in AC4 Black Flag?

For those who don't know, Captain Charles Johnson is the most famous of all..while he actually never really existed at all. This British man wrote A General History of the Robberies and Murders of the most notorious Pyrates, a book wich many researchers today use as the prime source of information around pirates. But no Captain Charles Johnson lived in those times, lastly almost no pirate could spell or write this well. His identity is therefore still a mistery.

Olivier Levasseur is a famous pirate. Nicknamed "The Buzzard", he worked alongside Benjamin Hornigold for a time. However he is most famous because he and pirate John Taylor caputured the Portuguese great galleon Nossa Senhora do Cabo. The loot aboard belonging to the bishop of Goa, was around £100,000,000 (gold, silver, diamonds, silk..) making it the biggest treasure every taken by pirates. Eventually later in life, he was captured near Fort Dauphin, Madagascar. He was then taken to Saint-Denis, Réunion and hanged for piracy on 7 July 1730. His grave can still be visited today.

Henry Morgan was one of the most famous pirates of them all. Capturing many ships and being one the few to live his life till the end with the loot he captured. He died in 1688 from tuberculosis.

guardian_titan
11-07-2013, 12:25 AM
There's a limit to how many characters you can have in a story before it becomes convoluted and hard to follow. If you watch TV or read books regularly, you'll notice a pattern with how many characters are typically in a given episode/book and how many are in a given scene. Think it's typically 3-4. You see more than that, you'll notice only some have lines and the rest just stand there. You'll also noticed that often characters are removed before new ones are brought in. Rare are new characters introduced without someone getting the chopping block first.

Henry Morgan would only be a mention at most much like how Kidd was eluded to. Morgan died before Edward's even born. Johnson has no place in the game if there's no proof he existed and the book was written after the fact. Levasseur is one thing, but again, can't introduce too many characters or things get confusing. Look at the screen time for each character in the game beyond Edward. Hornigold wasn't really around that often to warrant a friend of his popping in even for 30 seconds. I actually thought Stede had no point in the game. Guy had such a tiny part.

GreatBeyonder
11-07-2013, 02:26 AM
I was actually expecting Levasseur myself in a game revolving around crazy treasure hunts, and perhaps expecting Edward Kenway to write the book himself.

BATISTABUS
11-07-2013, 03:09 AM
Henry Morgan would only be a mention at most much like how Kidd was eluded to. Morgan died before Edward's even born. Johnson has no place in the game if there's no proof he existed and the book was written after the fact. Levasseur is one thing, but again, can't introduce too many characters or things get confusing. Look at the screen time for each character in the game beyond Edward. Hornigold wasn't really around that often to warrant a friend of his popping in even for 30 seconds. I actually thought Stede had no point in the game. Guy had such a tiny part.
Morgan actually was eluded to in Torres' conversation with Laurens Prins, who had apparently fought alongside him at some point.

Farlander1991
11-07-2013, 08:37 AM
I actually thought Stede had no point in the game.

The main point of Stede was to set up exposition, Edward's characters and thoughts without having everything explained to Edward (which is why most of our interaction with him is before his pirate career). Though, there is still some point to him in the game after we meet him as he's with Blackbeard.