PDA

View Full Version : Assassinís Creed Reddit AMA Was SO Disappointing!

RinoTheBouncer
11-06-2013, 11:02 AM
Last night, I was online, reading the developers answers to fans asking questions about Assassins Creed at: http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/1pz0j2/iama_developer_on_assassins_creed_iv_black_flag/ Ö (http://t.co/kEtTvsj1EA)

First of all, I adore ACIV and I wish Edward would come back again. Thatís just to assure you that this isnít an ACIV hate thread. Now, reading the answers of the developers (who were very evasive of real questions) a lot of fears I had were confirmed to be true.

They almost completely ruled out the possibility of a Connor game, they said that itís unlikely that a new modern day protagonist will ever show up and advising us to keep checking acinitiates.com to keep up with the modern day story. So that basically translate to ďModern day will be even more minor that a few posts on a website will be the best youíll get in addition to the minimized gameplayĒ. They also said AC will keep going on as long as Modern Day will be more of a context that ties all games, than a plot-driven thing, which basically means Modern Day is just an excuse to get into the Animus and relive the past, nothing more.

Iím honestly really shocked. I donít wanna be hating here but from AC1 to AC3, everything felt so connected and meaningful and now by the end of the Desmond trilogy, AC is gonna take a new phase just to appeal to people who donít wanna play with ďa loser in a hoodieĒ and a big punch in the face to all those who loved Desmond or the modern day missions that were perfect in ACIII. I donít care whether Desmond lives or dies or whatever, what I care about and hoped for is that the games remain as entertaining as they were and not keep inventing excuses to minimize the modern day story.

When I play AC1, I loved it a lot and I hoped weíd have more about the modern day. In AC2, we got that and it was wonderful along with the interesting AC:B modern day missions and the shocking cliffhangers of both AC2 and ACB, then presented in a different way in ACR and perfectly done in ACIII. Now, though I did like this modern day, it only felt like an introduction to something bigger, maybe modern-day as Rebecca or Shaun or someone new who would do a major role to stop Juno who was a major plot point of AC3 and from the ending, she was obviously a major character of the next game (ACIV) but sadly, she only appeared for a minute and thatís all.

I really am so worried. AC is my most favorite franchise and I donít want it to end up losing itís initial luster or hype. I appreciate the historical portion of the game. Itís the major part and itís very well done but now I see that modern day is just an excuse to revisit the past and the past isnít there to change anything in the present anymore, unlike the previous games which were going hand in hand, now itís just a video game played by someone to test it and get some stuff from it that others will use it in a way you wonít ever know. I just hope AC wonít turn into a pure historical game with standalone stories that have nothing to do with each other. First we were looking for the Apple of Eden, then the Grand Temple and then the Keys to the Temple..etc. but now weíre just checking out different environment and sticking the Assassins logo on them.

Discuss.

dxsxhxcx
11-06-2013, 11:17 AM
from what I read is pretty much confirmed that they'll show the middle finger to those who invested themselves for years in the modern day storyline from AC1 to AC3, a shame that they won't even try to fix that now that they have the opportunity for a new beginning... this franchise is pretty much done for me since now all they'll do is milk it even more, and I'll certainly won't waste my time caring about other games they create since if the game makes enough profit it'll certainly be milked to death and have its story dumbed down and screwed up, watch out Watch Dogs! :(

RinoTheBouncer
11-06-2013, 11:21 AM
from what I read is pretty much confirmed that they'll show the middle finger to those who invested themselves for years in the modern day storyline from AC1 to AC3, a shame that they won't even try to fix that now that they have the opportunity for a new beginning... this franchise is pretty much done for me since now all they'll do is milk it even more, and I'll certainly won't waste my time caring about other games they create since if the game makes enough profit it'll certainly be milked to death and have its story dumbed down and screwed up, watch out Watch Dogs... :(

I really hope they read this thread because they’re turning their image from “A group of really talented people who made an outstanding franchise that taught me history more than school or college” to “A bunch of materialistic people who care about nothing but money and don’t give a **** about story or the fans”.

What I fear most is keeping is on and on till the game can barely sell 2 million copies and then want to “start fresh” with a reboot that does even worse than it’s predecessor.

Flutterwhat
11-06-2013, 11:39 AM
Well, while i agree that there isn't as much focus on the modern storyline as I'd like, i strongly believe that Ubisoft feels affection for us...because of all the side content they hidden in Abstergo entertainment. there's actually quite a wealth of interesting information, especially when it comes to desmond. And i have a hunch that Watch_dogs will actually take over the modern storyline somehow....

dxsxhxcx
11-06-2013, 11:49 AM
And i have a hunch that Watch_dogs will actually take over the modern storyline somehow....

this would be their most grievous mistake, WD already lost a little of its appeal for me after they implied AC and WD might be part of the same universe, if they turn WD into a wannabe modern AC that game will be dead for me even before its release, I'm OK with little easter eggs just for fun (especially involving Erudito) but receive more focus that that would be wrong...

The_Heisenberg
11-06-2013, 12:05 PM
This is a real slap in the face for me. I thought the modern day in AC4 was handled alright, had some mystery while touching upon the Juno plot line. To find out that they don't really want to put more effort into it is frustrating to be honest

Farlander1991
11-06-2013, 12:36 PM
Desmond's Saga, to me, is a lot of wasted potential. Intriguing plots, sub-plots and concepts were set up, and not a single one of them was resolved in a non underdeveloped manner (some less underdeveloped than others, but still). Desmond's Saga is something that looks good on paper, but when you go through it in the game, it's like, 'eeeeh.... yeeeeaaaahh... I dunnoooo...'

People are pissed off now because the modern day is not the focus of the series, but in the long run this is for the better. Because this allows room for the devs to properly scale up or down what and when they can.

I personally see the modern day stuff that started with AC4 in the end is going to be much more fulfilling, satisfying, and qualitative than Desmond's Saga ever was.

shobhit7777777
11-06-2013, 01:23 PM
Good

Legendz54
11-06-2013, 01:27 PM
If modern day doesn't become 3rd person again its dead to me.

RinoTheBouncer
11-06-2013, 01:34 PM
if modern day doesn't become 3rd person again its dead to me.
exactly.

MIA SILENT
11-06-2013, 01:43 PM
Yeah, when McDevitt said that going forward they want people to think of the Modern day as "context" rather than "plot", I got annoyed. I mean, whats this whole thing with Juno if not a plot?! Or are they planning on dragging it out so long that the plot becomes so stretched it doesn't even resemble a damn plot!

I love the lore, but this was a big disappointment.

dxsxhxcx
11-06-2013, 01:51 PM
Desmond's Saga, to me, is a lot of wasted potential. Intriguing plots, sub-plots and concepts were set up, and not a single one of them was resolved in a non underdeveloped manner (some less underdeveloped than others, but still).

I agree with you here, ACB and ACR and to an extent AC3 (whose main problem was in its presentation) were all wasted opportunities, we had an entire city in ACB and nothing to do there other than watch a few cutscenes, a lot of bad decisions were made regarding the plot as well, why not explain S16 ACB's message before AC3? it would've been much better than the way it was handled in AC4, watch Desmond files on AC4 to see by yourself, the one he talks about TWCB calculations, this was something that was made believe to be important so it deserved a better place than those Desmond files that I don't know if are optional or not, what would make this even worse

People are pissed off now because the modern day is not the focus of the series, but in the long run this is for the better. Because this allows room for the devs to properly scale up or down what and when they can.

I don't want the modern days to become the focus of the franchise, I understand why they'll never do a game set only on the modern days, but it should receive more attention than it does in order to deliver a good story (and make the overall story better), the modern days are part of what AC is about, it's not a separated thing like some people like to think and without it (or with less focus on it) IMO it'll make the historical part a LOT less interesting...

I personally see the modern day stuff that started with AC4 in the end is going to be much more fulfilling, satisfying, and qualitative than Desmond's Saga ever was.

I hardly see it happening since a 1st person mute character without a personality is much harder to relate to than a unique character with its own personality (good or bad, this is debatable) like Desmond was..

ps: 1st and 3rd person is just a matter of preference, IMO 3rd person is much better than 1st.

RinoTheBouncer
11-06-2013, 01:53 PM
Yeah, when McDevitt said that going forward they want people to think of the Modern day as "context" rather than "plot", I got annoyed. I mean, whats this whole thing with Juno if not a plot?! Or are they planning on dragging it out so long that the plot becomes so stretched it doesn't even resemble a damn plot!

I love the lore, but this was a big disappointment.

Yeah, that’s exactly the point that made me feel so frustrated and disappointed. AC1, AC2, AC:B, AC:R and ACIII were all building something really big that all of us fans came to love and look forward to. We didn’t like Desmond in AC1 and maybe not even AC2. It’s ACB that actually made people really get into him and be interested in his story and once he and his story became relevant, they scrapped all that for no other reason than to do the easier work. To be perfectly honest, I can’t look at them with the same appreciative and respectful way that I used to before last night.

roostersrule2
11-06-2013, 02:05 PM
Yeah, that’s exactly the point that made me feel so frustrated and disappointed. AC1, AC2, AC:B, AC:R and ACIII were all building something really big that all of us fans came to love and look forward to. We didn’t like Desmond in AC1 and maybe not even AC2. It’s ACB that actually made people really get into him and be interested in his story and once he and his story became relevant, they scrapped all that for no other reason than to do the easier work. To be perfectly honest, I can’t look at them with the same appreciative and respectful way that I used to before last night.Desmonds story was interesting as soon as we found the blood on the ground at the end of AC1, that's still one of my favourite AC moments.

Farlander1991
11-06-2013, 02:10 PM
I hardly see it happening since a 1st person mute character without a personality is much harder to relate to than a unique character with its own personality (good or bad, this is debatable) like Desmond was..

What I said had nothing to do about relating to a character though, but modern day as a whole, but since you've mentioned this...

Here's the thing, making a third-person modern day requires for the character we play to have an arc. Something that Desmond, again, had the potential to have, and did have in a way, but his arc was severely underdeveloped and uneven. Desmond's memos from AC4 have shown so much of Desmond's character that AC1-3 never dreamed of doing. Also, as painful as they were from gameplay perspective, the abstract first person sections showed much more of Desmond's personality than his third-person moments.

First-person removes the need for an arc. We focus solely on what's happening on the outside, the world, and the plot itself. And, most importantly, the whole Abstergo framing allows to put much more content and character development via means like, well, Desmond memos for example - in short, something that doesn't require a lot of money and doesn't overblow the scope of the modern day (or security camera footage that doesn't require expensive animations, or letters, and, well, talks with people too of course, basically - a very wide variety of possibilities). But this is why Desmond has suffered so much, his parts required resources allocated to him, and he never had enough (with the exception of ACB probably, but that's mostly because they could reuse ****tons of stuff), this new first person framing, again, eradicates that problem, paving path for a more coherent experience than Desmond's sections were in AC1-AC3, and, the best part about it, even if it so happens that there's still not enough resources for the modern day part - it's easily scale-able without a huge amount of damage.

Sushiglutton
11-06-2013, 02:21 PM
I think both these decisions were correct tbh. I have no wish to return to Connor for several reasons.

The plot driven third person modern day didn't work out. I liked it until Revelations, but in that game it collapsed. AC3's modern world section was nothing short of atrocious. I don't blame the devs though, it's just very hard to make two parallel games. For example the plan to make Desomnd a badass was doomed to fail as they were never going to be able to create the gameplay tools necessary for a modern day assassin. He was always gonna turn out like a reskinned, gimped version of his ancestor.

From a story persepctive it's hard as they don't want to force players to spend too much time in the modern day as many fans simply don't like it. At the same time they need to retell a lot of the story each time for new players which leads to pacing issues. It's also tough because they don't know in advance how much they will need to stretch it and it must be flexible depending on what they want to do with the ancestor.

For these reasons I think the "context" way is much better. They don't really need any (action) gameplay at all for that. It's very flexible in terms of how much time a player can spend in it and easier to get into.

Landruner
11-06-2013, 04:45 PM
I think both these decisions were correct tbh. I have no wish to return to Connor for several reasons.

The plot driven third person modern day didn't work out. I liked it until Revelations, but in that game it collapsed. AC3's modern world section was nothing short of atrocious. I don't blame the devs though, it's just very hard to make two parallel games. For example the plan to make Desomnd a badass was doomed to fail as they were never going to be able to create the gameplay tools necessary for a modern day assassin. He was always gonna turn out like a reskinned, gimped version of his ancestor.

From a story persepctive it's hard as they don't want to force players to spend too much time in the modern day as many fans simply don't like it. At the same time they need to retell a lot of the story each time for new players which leads to pacing issues. It's also tough because they don't know in advance how much they will need to stretch it and it must be flexible depending on what they want to do with the ancestor.

For these reasons I think the "context" way is much better. They don't really need any (action) gameplay at all for that. It's very flexible in terms of how much time a player can spend in it and easier to get into.

I agree with you - The modern day part was not my favorite, but it was part of the games and I still enjoyed it... I believe Desmond pinnacle had been in ACB - the character was evolving with new power abilities, was having some funny pons with Lucy, and started to actually enjoy that modern part of the game - I remember having a big WTF of reaction for the final cliffhanger, but I though, well now for the next one they are going to come with something genius...Then came ACR that in my opinion destroyed the Desmond part to the ground - Those first puzzles (a la Portal) were cool but I believe that it will have been better for Desmond to actually revisiting his past in actually replaying his past. Actually playing young Desmond that escape from its Assassin camp, and some other situation - It would have been a much better approach for the Desmond of AC3 - Then came AC3... I would say the relations with his dad are boring, the character is demotivated up to the ending (If it could be called one ending)... A few months ago I was in conversation with some people (twitter, reedit and else) that did not really like the Desmond part and told me that the Devs did not care any longer of the modern day part and they had to get ride of Desmond, however; even if devs and else had to do that, it is just the way they did it which is the most chocking
So, I would say the general consensus and even from the ones who did not like Desmond or the modern day parts was that the final of AC3 uninspired, clumsy and insulting for the Franchise and the fans of it.

SixKeys
11-06-2013, 05:03 PM
From a story persepctive it's hard as they don't want to force players to spend too much time in the modern day as many fans simply don't like it. At the same time they need to retell a lot of the story each time for new players which leads to pacing issues.

This is a good point too. The "previously on Assassin's Creed" recaps were getting more and more convoluted with each release. I can't blame newbies for not getting into Desmond if their first entry into the series was ACR or AC3.

Shahkulu101
I'm a little disappointed, I mean I was sure they just put the 3rd person narrative on hiatus for one game. It's a good business decision though, a lot of people just weren't and are never going to be invested in the Modern day.

They wasted a lot of potential with Desmond's story, it seems they don't want to risk hurting the series. After all, are Ubisoft even capable of making a great modern day narrative? Not with annualisation, no. They are not.

MIA SILENT
The fact it's now in first-person doesn't bother me. I actually really enjoyed walking round Abstergo uncovering bits of lore. But I will be very sad if they give up on progressing the Modern plot in favour of giving context to those who haven't been following it.

luckyto
11-06-2013, 05:17 PM
I guess that I'm in the minority. I thought the modern day was perfect. The series needs to go this direction. It needs to get away from the continuous story line of the modern day, which honestly, really held back ACR and ACIII. After ACB, I truly felt it was more a detriment than a help. The first person is a very nice change of pace from the historical game in the Animus; and delivers an immediate emotional detachment between life inside the Animus and the modern day. For future releases, it opens the series up to a wide range of possibilities, allows for infinite sequels and puts the focus where it should be: reliving the memory inside the Animus (aka ... the actual game.) I don't think it could be more perfect.

luckyto
11-06-2013, 05:20 PM
First-person removes the need for an arc. We focus solely on what's happening on the outside, the world, and the plot itself. And, most importantly, the whole Abstergo framing allows to put much more content and character development via means like, well, Desmond memos for example - in short, something that doesn't require a lot of money and doesn't overblow the scope of the modern day (or security camera footage that doesn't require expensive animations, or letters, and, well, talks with people too of course, basically - a very wide variety of possibilities). But this is why Desmond has suffered so much, his parts required resources allocated to him, and he never had enough (with the exception of ACB probably, but that's mostly because they could reuse ****tons of stuff), this new first person framing, again, eradicates that problem, paving path for a more coherent experience than Desmond's sections were in AC1-AC3, and, the best part about it, even if it so happens that there's still not enough resources for the modern day part - it's easily scale-able without a huge amount of damage.

Well said.

twenty_glyphs
11-06-2013, 05:38 PM
I'm fine with this now. Revelations diminished and then AC3 destroyed the interest I'd built in Desmond and his arc after AC2 and Brotherhood. I really can't bring myself to care that much anymore. I still really like the historical conspiracy and the science of the First Civilization causing them to be interpreted as deities, but a lot of the modern day urgency was killed by AC3. I still wish Desmond's ultimate fate had been something cooler, even if it still included death. But it was always going to be hard to pull that off in a game where most of the time was necessarily devoted to the historical gameplay. (AC3's present day was so lame, I would rather play Desmond's first-person puzzle sequences from Revelations a thousand times before playing the present day missions from AC3 again.) I wish Abstergo and Vidic had turned out to be more competent than the bumbling fools they were portrayed as in AC3. Seriously, the laziness of just saying that their satellite wasn't going to work anyway completely neutered the threat that Abstergo had posed.

The sad part is that the yearly development is probably the cause for the collapse of Desmond's story arc. If the same team had been able to tell his story in 3 or 4 games with 2-year dev cycles, it might have come off better. But at the same time, now that the series is yearly the context angle makes a lot more sense than a plot-driven modern day narrative with someone like Desmond. I'd like to see maybe just different series of trilogies within the yearly framework that focus on a different main character or threat, but considering that each of those 3 games might be made by 3 completely different teams, it would be hard to make the story consistent. It just makes a lot of sense to relegate the modern day portions to a basic framework that gives an excuse to explore history for important knowledge or artifacts. Hopefully we still get to see lots of new info about TWCB and their role in early human history, as well as Templar conspiracies, along the way.

*** MINOR AC4 PRESENT DAY SPOILERS: ***

I wouldn't even mind seeing the next game not even have a separate present day mode where you walk around somewhere. AC4 hints that next year Abstergo will roll out their product to people's homes so they can use the Animus at home, like a video game. I wouldn't mind that being the framing device for next year's game, with the setup being that you're playing an Abstergo Entertainment Animus product. Of course, you'd get contacted by the Assassins or Erudito who'd start encouraging you to hack into Abstergo's network or something to reveal interesting files and secrets. But all the present day stuff could be voiceovers from those characters (hopefully including Shaun and Rebecca) in between memory sequences, with the Animus menu as the background. Perhaps they could even have the option to video chat with Shaun and Rebecca at various points, so you could have a few conversations with them like Desmond in AC2 and Brotherhood. But all of the present day story stuff could then live under its own menu that the Assassins or Erudito could hack to add to your version of the Animus. I'd like to see cool virtual-reality stuff like when you unlock the Subject 16 free-running level to meet him as Desmond in Brotherhood. I envision hacking puzzles that involved some free-running with the current game's character avatar through a virtual-reality world and solving puzzles along the way to unlock secret files.

Markie577
11-06-2013, 05:38 PM
They made a mistake with not setting an overall arc and one they can control. They should have figured out in the beginning that there wouldn't be a need to go back into the animus one day, they could have done a lot of different things. I only hope they will return to Eden and a good story arc for the modern day part. OR perhaps they should leave the modern day alone and look at it from a different point. Namely the past, what if you would be a character in Eden, and be one of the people responsible for guiding things to their proper course.

ArabianFrost
11-06-2013, 05:45 PM
I'm a little disappointed, I mean I was sure they just put the 3rd person narrative on hiatus for one game. It's a good business decision though, a lot of people just weren't and are never going to be invested in the Modern day.

They wasted a lot of potential with Desmond's story, it seems they don't want to risk hurting the series. After all, are Ubisoft even capable of making a great modern day narrative? Not with annualisation, no. They are not.

I don't understand. Darby said they already have an ending in mind and they definitely aren't making these games arbitrarily as they go. They probably have a number of AC games set in mind, so since there won't be any variables to maul any future modern plot, it would make sense to return to a proper 3rd person moder story with a character and a plot for them.

I hated how the modern plot progressed very little in the Juno plot. To be honest, it didn't actually add anything. It just told us more about what we already knew. Juno.is.weak. We already knew that before starting the game. Everything about Juno we already knew about. We knew that she needed a body. We knew that she needed first civ artifacts to get back. At least with a character like Desmond as our portal to the modern world, we had an effect on the modern day plot rather than a faceless, insignificant, ineffective employee that just "watches" rather than play a vital role in the modern part. We'll have to end Juno somehow and silly hacking mini-games most certainly won't end the life of a first civ entity. This Abstergo open world thing was cool for AC4, but you CANNOT in anyway have this be the norm. It's just too awkward to be the guy that watches everything ensue without having a direct effect. It would seen too constricting.

It's not like ALL modern characters would be Desmond look-alikes. We could have an interesting modern day character, like Otso Berg, we could also have more interesting scenarios for modern day missions, Ubisoft just has to try harder and not make the missions seem forced and bland. The social stealth can still work in the modern day and the historical maps can have a layer of modern day frosting for modern day missions (like monterrigioni), but it needs an extra bit of effort. Oh well, Ubisoft has effectively killed any possibility of that. At least the historical aspect still has the First civ parts to it.

TheDanteEX
11-06-2013, 05:51 PM
I thought everybody agreed that Desmond's story just ended in failure? It was always going to end, so I'm not sure what the complaining is about. I prefer the new modern day because it's what I feel the modern day should be. Uncovering secrets and learning more about the "true world" and more about Abstergo. They can now tell stories without having you live through them, and it's optional. So, it's pretty much like AC1 but in first person. It's believable. By the time AC3 rolled around, visiting modern locations felt artificial and that's not how it should feel. Being a tiny speck in a picture far greater than you realize has always been the appeal to me.

World building is much more possible and much less information is spelled out for you. It doesn't feel like information is just piling on to lead to some kind of conclusion. We just live in a world that changes over time, which is what real life is.

Shahkulu101
11-06-2013, 05:59 PM
I don't understand. Darby said they already have an ending in mind and they definitely aren't making these games arbitrarily as they go. They probably have a number of AC games set in mind, so since there won't be any variables to maul any future modern plot, it would make sense to return to a proper 3rd person moder story with a character and a plot for them.

I hated how the modern plot progressed very little in the Juno plot. To be honest, it didn't actually add anything. It just told us more about what we already knew. Juno.is.weak. We already knew that before starting the game. Everything about Juno we already knew about. We knew that she needed a body. We knew that she needed first civ artifacts to get back. At least with a character like Desmond as our portal to the modern world, we had an effect on the modern day plot rather than a faceless, insignificant, ineffective employee that just "watches" rather than play a vital role in the modern part. We'll have to end Juno somehow and silly hacking mini-games most certainly won't end the life of a first civ entity. This Abstergo open world thing was cool for AC4, but you CANNOT in anyway have this be the norm. It's just too awkward to be the guy that watches everything ensue without having a direct effect. It would seen too constricting.

It's not like ALL modern characters would be Desmond look-alikes. We could have an interesting modern day character, like Otso Berg, we could also have more interesting scenarios for modern day missions, Ubisoft just has to try harder and not make the missions seem forced and bland. The social stealth can still work in the modern day and the historical maps can have a layer of modern day frosting for modern day missions (like monterrigioni), but it needs an extra bit of effort. Oh well, Ubisoft has effectively killed any possibility of that. At least the historical aspect still has the First civ parts to it.

I would like this, everyone would like this. Heck, Ubisoft would probably like this!

The fact is the two experiences - modern day and historical can never be equal in terms of quality. They are too separate from each other from a gameplay perspective, we saw for ourselves their attempts in AC3, Desmond infiltrating the worlds biggest corporation...with a puny blade and fighting of guards with bloody batons!

What I'm saying is, they can't make two satisfying games in one. That doesn't mean the narrative can't be of high quality, but they seem to have thrown a modern day plot out the window as of now.

Kiba6688
11-06-2013, 07:25 PM
Modern day was my favourite part of the game since AC1, I just loved the cliffhangers at the end of the first 3 games. I know i am in the minority, but I always wanted some modern day missions, so I am happy that Ubisoft granted my wish in AC3. So Black flag was like an epilogue of the game for me, because I probably won't buy the next games. I am not saying the games will be bad, but without a good present day plot in the background.....it won't feel like an AC game to me.

xx-pyro
11-06-2013, 07:57 PM

Annualisation has nothing to do with Ubisofts ability of creating a modern day plotline, it's been equally crappy since the beginning, and AC4 had (in my opinion) the most effective means of distributing information and lore in a completely optional way of all of the games.

I don't need some cheesy mission climbing a building as Desmond while not even carrying a gun (like seriously, wtf?). I was much more satisfied with the modern day in AC4 and had a lot of fun getting the glimpses of information that I did wandering around, something that was never possible in the other AC games.

Gi1t
11-06-2013, 08:22 PM
from what I read is pretty much confirmed that they'll show the middle finger to those who invested themselves for years in the modern day storyline from AC1 to AC3, a shame that they won't even try to fix that now that they have the opportunity for a new beginning... this franchise is pretty much done for me since now all they'll do is milk it even more, and I'll certainly won't waste my time caring about other games they create since if the game makes enough profit it'll certainly be milked to death and have its story dumbed down and screwed up, watch out Watch Dogs! :(

Ubisoft giving the middle finger to fans who invested themselves in a story and abandoning it with no logical transition. Gee, where have I heard that before? -__-

I should post this on the pop forums so they can appreciate the irony. XD

On a side note, I found the modern day story fascinating from the start as well. When they made AC4, I thought that maybe the first-person modern day would be a way to experience the moern story in games where there wasn't a proper modern day protagonist, but it seems it was just cheap excuse to minimize it for the people that never even questioned the premise the series was built on. -__- You want to talk about 'dumbing things down' try downsizing an entire dimension of the story so that it can be ignored and people won't be confused by it. The first person method could have been really cool, with kind of a Myst feel to it. I imagined it as you being totally alone in that part, which would have added a haunting atmosphere as you wonder what's going on in the outside world.

monteiro416
11-06-2013, 08:28 PM
To me, modern day was a always a huge factor in the Assassin's Creed games. I too loved the cliffhangers in each game, and was disappointed by the lack of one in ACIV. I suppose in the back of my mind I was just hoping at the end you look into one of the bathroom mirrors or something and - SURPRISE - you recognize the face as .

But lack of cliffhangers aside, I just thought that modern-day was always the supporting beam of the historic plot. Why even go into the animus and relive memories if you're not looking for something? Just for the fun of it, as is shown by the whole Abstergo Entertainment plot? It just doesn't seem like a good enough drive to me. In the past there was always a [I]reason for the historic side, and the devs need a reason for the modern-day? In my opinion, that's just obnoxious.

And that's not even taking into account that there is a reason to go into the animus - to get rid of Juno - which I don't see happening as a first-person protagonist.

Gi1t
11-06-2013, 08:34 PM
And that's not even taking into account that there is a reason to go into the animus - to get rid of Juno - which I don't see happening as a first-person protagonist.

Maybe you'll get to go online and watch real hero defeat Juno on youtube. XD

monteiro416
11-06-2013, 08:39 PM
Maybe you'll get to go online and watch real hero defeat Juno on youtube. XD

LOL. While we're at it, let's just play as the guy who watches the hero do everything in the historic parts too.

dxsxhxcx
11-06-2013, 09:05 PM
Ubisoft giving the middle finger to fans who invested themselves in a story and abandoning it with no logical transition. Gee, where have I heard that before? -__-

I should post this on the pop forums so they can appreciate the irony. XD

On a side note, I found the modern day story fascinating from the start as well. When they made AC4, I thought that maybe the first-person modern day would be a way to experience the moern story in games where there wasn't a proper modern day protagonist, but it seems it was just cheap excuse to minimize it for the people that never even questioned the premise the series was built on. -__- You want to talk about 'dumbing things down' try downsizing an entire dimension of the story so that it can be ignored and people won't be confused by it. The first person method could have been really cool, with kind of a Myst feel to it. I imagined it as you being totally alone in that part, which would have added a haunting atmosphere as you wonder what's going on in the outside world.

while I prefer 3rd person over 1st person, I'm not entirely against it, when they created the idea of Abstergo Entertainment I saw in it the opportunity to keep the series going when everything that started in AC1 was over and then these "entertainment" products created by Abstergo would be a way to make the AC universe richer but without directly affecting the central plot that was finished, but this should've happened when everything they started was over and not now, right in the middle of this Juno situation that is a direct continuation of Desmond' story...

fortunately I wasn't here by the time they did it with POP, I just played one POP game so I wasn't affected by the decision they made, but it certainly sucks to be a POP and modern day AC fan right now... :p

Shahkulu101
11-06-2013, 09:31 PM
Patrice will be rolling in his run-down one bedroom apartment.

Mixing whiskey with painkillers and what not.

ArabianFrost
11-06-2013, 09:40 PM

Mixing whiskey with painkillers and what not.

Yeah. He's the person I feel sad for the most. Imagine your creation that was just about to reach its final climax, , absolutely mauled and milked for profit.

Now he doesn't even have 1666. He's gonna need some hardcore stuff. What do unemployed game designers do anyway for profit?

Shahkulu101
11-06-2013, 09:43 PM
Yeah. He's the person I feel sad for the most. Imagine your creation that was just about to reach its final climax, , absolutely mauled and milked for profit.

Now he doesn't even have 1666. He's gonna need some hardcore stuff. What do unemployed game designers do anyway for profit?

He was the creative director, not game designer. Although I'm not quite sure what that title even means.

He's probably made a fair few bucks in his life though, he won't be poor I assume.

dxsxhxcx
11-06-2013, 09:45 PM

move forward and sign better contracts in the future... :p

LoyalACFan
11-06-2013, 09:55 PM
I'm always amazed at how many people love the modern day stuff. IMO it was AC's weakest point from the start. Sure it was interesting at the beginning, but after five games of convoluted plot twists and cliffhangers (most of which remain unresolved) I lost interest. Conversely, AC4 had some fun little things to uncover in the present, and I enjoyed it far more than any of Desmond's content post-AC2. I hope it stays exactly the way it is. Especially with the Abstergo Entertainment angle, they can visit ancestors who led interesting lives just because they want to make an entertainment product about them, rather than having to shoehorn in some First Civ crap to justify researching them. It broadens the range of stories they can tell, and each ancestor no longer has to be "Little Jimmy Special," as Shaun would say, with a direct link to the First Civ.

ACfan443
11-06-2013, 09:58 PM

He's still rich anyway, and as long as his previous titles continue to sell, he'll continue to receive a cut of the profits (as much as it probably pains Yves).

Gi1t
11-07-2013, 01:53 AM
LOL. While we're at it, let's just play as the guy who watches the hero do everything in the historic parts too.

Bystander's Creed? http://static5.cdn.ubi.com/u/ubiforums/20130918.419/images/smilies/tongue.png

monteiro416
11-07-2013, 03:02 AM
Bystander's Creed? http://static5.cdn.ubi.com/u/ubiforums/20130918.419/images/smilies/tongue.png

Have you read the Black Flag emails? Your co-worker is playing as Bernard Kenway, sheep farmer. They really should explore that option. :p

UKassassinsfan
11-07-2013, 06:11 AM
Gotta admit I'm in the minority too and I personally thought the modern day stuff was core to the series! Must say I was gutted by the decision to cut modern plot because at the end of the day the modern plot is the story, in AC1 you were a modern character who relived memories to progress the modern story, just feel the Desmond story has been canceled to appeal to newer fans

roostersrule2
11-07-2013, 07:54 AM

Mixing whiskey with painkillers and what not.Patrice Payne 3.

BRING BACK PATRICE!!!!

Genos99
11-07-2013, 12:16 PM
Fans Recognize desmond miles but why not ubisoft .....we prince of persia fans are facing the same thing from 5 years

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=308971175885985&set=a.308969159219520.74760.293878754061894&type=1&theater

Ritterkreuz1978
11-07-2013, 02:51 PM
Gotta admit I'm in the minority too and I personally thought the modern day stuff was core to the series! Must say I was gutted by the decision to cut modern plot because at the end of the day the modern plot is the story, in AC1 you were a modern character who relived memories to progress the modern story, just feel the Desmond story has been canceled to appeal to newer fans

You make a good point, but let's face it, the historical stuff is the truly fun part of the game.

Zellzin
11-07-2013, 04:25 PM
Wow that's like a stab in the heart... Admittedly I wasn't into the modern day story for the first couple games, but especially after ACIII I am fully immersed in it. There always was a reason to go back in time, so now what's the point? To make movies?

*End Game Spoilers*
That's what bothered me about Black Flag. Maybe I simply missed it but was Abstergo trying to find the Observatory and the Crystal Skull?

SneakierNote
11-07-2013, 07:04 PM
I started with AC 3. I enjoyed the modern day part of the story in a huge way. I thought it tied and EXPLAINED the game well to me a newbie at the time.

RinoTheBouncer
11-10-2013, 09:23 AM
Wow that's like a stab in the heart... Admittedly I wasn't into the modern day story for the first couple games, but especially after ACIII I am fully immersed in it. There always was a reason to go back in time, so now what's the point? To make movies?

*End Game Spoilers*
That's what bothered me about Black Flag. Maybe I simply missed it but was Abstergo trying to find the Observatory and the Crystal Skull?

That’s the problem. A lot of us didn’t appreciate Desmond even if we loved Modern Day story until AC:B or ACIII but just as people did so, all was taken away.

rec0n09
11-10-2013, 09:33 AM
You guys all have valid points and I am glad that you like the modern day portion of the game. However, for me I really don't like getting out of the Animus.