PDA

View Full Version : how can i take a larger ship like a frigate?

Justice4Britt
11-06-2013, 08:39 AM
i have only 24% in armor in my inventory and minimal ammo, how do i take a lager frigate to add to my fleet?? they engage me when im sailing around and always shoot me to pieces i try aiming for their sails, but it hardly does any damage.

Fireseed
11-06-2013, 08:59 AM
You can just upgrade your ship the Jackdaw. Itīs not possbile to take a frigate or man of war. Would be nice but not possible until now :)

Justice4Britt
11-06-2013, 11:05 AM
TY, actually 20 min after i posted this i saw a MoW in a battle with some friagets and low and behold they almost disabled it, but i did, then boarded and captured!!!! :cool::cool:;);):p

B3NJY 1993
11-07-2013, 05:30 PM
In my experience, you can take down high level ships without full armour, but it can be seriously difficult. Basically, keep moving, don't get too close, stay out of their fire, bombard the hull with cannon fire, and use the swivels a lot. Also if you start off an attack by ramming the ship, you can deal some good first-hit damage. I won't promise that this will work, but its what has worked whenever I've tried taking on difficult ships.

buzbuz33
11-07-2013, 07:34 PM
Use your mortars as soon as possible and, once engaged, try to "cross the T" a lot.

zymurgist_27
11-08-2013, 06:07 AM
It is easy to out manuver the larger ships by raising and lowering your sails. With them low you can turn on a dime but you lose forward speed. I find that if I get just far enough away from them I can run a circle around them. Picture there is a rope attached to your target at the center of a circle. You just keep turning around them keeping your broadside to them and the rear of their ship turned to you. This keeps them from being able to send cannon volleys at you but you are able to fire away.

Practice - the technique gets easier the more you do it - it's like buzbuz33 said - cross the T

buzbuz33
11-08-2013, 10:25 PM
Once you get to about 75% of improvements, there is an easy strategy for taking out the man-of-war ("MOW") Increase your "wanted" level to the max. When a MOW appears with his sidekick, get about 500 feet in front of them and start dropping mortars on them. It takes about 8 hits to take out the MOW and another 5 hits for their buddy. You can also drop fire barrels to increase the damage.
One thing that works in your favor is that your pursuers are sailing into your mortar fire while you are sailing away from theirs. So, even if your mortars are evenly matched, you will have a range advantage. The mortars reload pretty quickly so there is a temptation to stay in "mortar view". However, you need to make sure that you don't run into an island and be careful because you may not know that you are taking damage.
If done correctly, you will knock out the MOW while taking no damage to your ship. You can either take out the small ship first and the MOW second. Or vice versa, although there is a risk that you will lose sight of the crippled MOW before you are done with the small ship and interlopers. Or you can race back to the crippled MOW, while trying to avoid and damage the small ship.
Once you board the MOW, you will no longer be under fire. The next challenge will be to take out the MOW crew and meet the extra requirements. The deck gun is not much help because the MOW is so tall. You can help the crew kill the required number of crew. However, I tend to focus on the extra requirements because, until those are eliminated, the fighting will continue and you will continue to lose crew.
After you are done, you can add the MOW to your fleet (I have about 4). Be sure to teleport to a dock and replenish your ammo and repair your ship.
I assume that this same tactic should work on the "boss ships" as well, but I haven't tried it yet and probably wont until my ship is 100% upgraded.