PDA

View Full Version : AC4 Key bindings for PC

jcam222
11-05-2013, 11:51 PM
Does anyone know if the keybinds can be customized for AC4? I have never played AC games but it looks very cool. I am however dead set on using keyboard / mouse. I also hate the wsad setups and like to remap to direction keys. If I cannot it would be a deal breaker for me. Would love to know ahead of dropping the money on the game. Any help appreciated.

I should mention I do not like or want to use a controller either.

SixKeys
11-06-2013, 12:06 AM
I've been playing AC with KB+M since the first one and so far the controls have always been customizable.

strigoi1958
11-06-2013, 12:21 AM
I'd have to say I wouldn't let a key map prevent me from playing the best game in the world... I think of AC 3 as the standard all games should try to reach and AC 4 definitely looks at least as good ...

ace3001
11-06-2013, 07:04 AM
Does anyone know if the keybinds can be customized for AC4? I have never played AC games but it looks very cool. I am however dead set on using keyboard / mouse. I also hate the wsad setups and like to remap to direction keys. If I cannot it would be a deal breaker for me. Would love to know ahead of dropping the money on the game. Any help appreciated.

I should mention I do not like or want to use a controller either.

All the previous AC games have been very KB&M friendly, so you won't need a controller. You can also remap them as you wish.

However, remapping to directional keys would be a mess, in my opinion. Because you need keys to use secondary weapon, weapon wheel, interaction, eagle vision and jump, which were defaulted to Q, R, E, V and SPACE in AC III. (This is not different to many other games these days, which make use of keys around WSAD.) If you want to use directional keys instead of WSAD, you will, at the least, need a five button mouse.

Why do you want to remap to directional keys, anyway? Do you use the mouse with your left hand, perhaps?

jcam222
11-06-2013, 11:34 PM
All the previous AC games have been very KB&M friendly, so you won't need a controller. You can also remap them as you wish.

However, remapping to directional keys would be a mess, in my opinion. Because you need keys to use secondary weapon, weapon wheel, interaction, eagle vision and jump, which were defaulted to Q, R, E, V and SPACE in AC III. (This is not different to many other games these days, which make use of keys around WSAD.) If you want to use directional keys instead of WSAD, you will, at the least, need a five button mouse.

Why do you want to remap to directional keys, anyway? Do you use the mouse with your left hand, perhaps?

Yes you got it. I use the mouse left handed in games and setting up with the arrow keys for direction and the mouse in left hand is second nature to me. I have played so many games like that its just what is natural and comfortable for me. Sounds like I can remap to them and then map other actions to whatever feels right. Thanks for the feedback. I may get AC3 tonight and try it out while I wait on AC4.

YazX_
11-08-2013, 07:32 PM
the only problem i have with AC games is only 4 shortcuts buttons for weapons which maps to the D-PAD in controllers, its so frustrating and this limitation is so annoying especially in AC3 where you have alot of weapons, i hope they fix this in AC4.

ace3001
11-09-2013, 05:38 AM
the only problem i have with AC games is only 4 shortcuts buttons for weapons which maps to the D-PAD in controllers, its so frustrating and this limitation is so annoying especially in AC3 where you have alot of weapons, i hope they fix this in AC4.Apparently, all weapons can be accessed from the D-PAD easily in AC4, so we should be able to do the same with 1,2,3,4 keys, I'm guessing.

YazX_
11-09-2013, 09:48 PM
Apparently, all weapons can be accessed from the D-PAD easily in AC4, so we should be able to do the same with 1,2,3,4 keys, I'm guessing.

And thats the problem, only 4 keys on a keyboard limiting it to controller configuration. for PC gamers, all weapons can be accessed easily through numbers from 0-9 or the keypad.

ShadowViper55
11-19-2013, 08:37 PM
Only issue I have noticed is that you can't bind things to the Right Shift/Control/Alt keys... which I want to be able to do! I mean, I was able to use those keys in AC3.... so why can't I bind things there now in AC4?! It really makes no sense at all. Why call them customized controls when I can't customize them how I want to lol

MafestoMeem
11-20-2013, 01:12 PM
yes i am also stuck i just hate it.. i use arrow keys for movment so right shift key is natural for me to use for free run as i can press forward walk and free run at same time.. and use numpad 0 for jump.. but now i cant change it.. please someome help

Only issue I have noticed is that you can't bind things to the Right Shift/Control/Alt keys... which I want to be able to do! I mean, I was able to use those keys in AC3.... so why can't I bind things there now in AC4?! It really makes no sense at all. Why call them customized controls when I can't customize them how I want to lol

generalxanos
11-30-2013, 07:05 PM
yes i am also stuck i just hate it.. i use arrow keys for movment so right shift key is natural for me to use for free run as i can press forward walk and free run at same time.. and use numpad 0 for jump.. but now i cant change it.. please someome help

I too am a leftist. I use mouse for aim, and numpad for movement, actions, etc. The "vital" key here is I can map numpad 8/2 for forward/back, and numpad 0 for strafe left, but I can't map numpad Enter at all. So many games that are ports to PC have this flaw. In Quake 2, I was able to strafe right, jump, while spinning right, while shooting, and arming a grenade. In essence, the middle finger controls forward/back, the thumb controls strafe left, and pinky controls strafe right. With this layout you can be strafing laterally and still have 2 fingers free on that hand to do stuff. Using numpad Del for strafe right isn't the same, you wind up stacking fingers up trying to do, or even just being *ready* to do 3 things.

To follow my drift, try taking your ring finger, and pressing the key on the other side of the key your middle finger is either resting on, or pressing. Can't be done unless you use your other hand to move it across, and it's still 1 row of keys lower.

In a few of these ports, you can find a .ini file you can manually edit, but so far I haven't seen mention of it online, and if I go digging for it myself, I could break things, I'm sure.
Oh, and Mafest, if you use my layout (provided the numpad enter eventually works), you can use the right arrow key for speed, and it's just a tiny stretch for 3 more keys to do stuff with.
Without a reach, you can have full movement, crouch, jump, run, enter/activate, and 6 *more* keys you can do stuff with. With a single-key stretch, you have 6 more.

Does anyone know what the keyboard layout file is, and if we can text-edit it?

Spetling
12-01-2013, 01:45 PM
The file you need is named defaultBindings.map or assasin4.ini. Both of these files lie inside the main folder of the game, which agin lies under program files, Ubisoft, Ubisoft Game Launcher, games and AC4:BF. And yes, It's a text file.
Hope this helps :D

tinkerbelln8
12-02-2013, 12:27 AM
Big Plus being able to customize keyboard to the Arrow keys. Never could utilize the wsad control schemes in games. Only Let off with this game is not being able to control customize the right ctrl and shift keys unlike the other Assassins creeds. All in all though I still consider this the best AC yet.

bclarg
03-04-2015, 09:47 PM

I need/want to remap my kbd. However, AC4 "recognizes" a MS controller rather than my kbd. Does anyone know how to get AC4 to recognize my kbd as my input device?

Many thanks!

Thanks Ubisoft! Great game.

All.Names.Taken
03-05-2015, 08:23 AM
Unplug your controller? That or calibrate your controller because the game will use EITHER input seamlessly and interchangeably, no action required. If the game receives input from the keyboard, it uses it; pick up your controller and start using it, it works instantly; put down controller and start using keyboard again, no problem. For some reason, your controller must be sending input to the game, i.e., it's uncalibrated so it's like you are always pushing up on the joystick a little bit. Well, that's my theory.

And why necro and hijack a year and a half old thread instead of just creating a new one?