PDA

View Full Version : Playing without HUD.

ZeRoDiVide 101
11-05-2013, 12:03 PM
Anyone else play AC4 without any HUD or minimal HUD?

I find the game has pretty much got audio and/or visual cues for most things (low health for example has the desync effect, rogue waves have a different hue of blue/green near the crests).

The character icon is useless clutter imo as is the puppeteer (back in the day you actually had to remember a games controls yourself).

My only concern was the minimap info but so far it's been no problem.
I left SSI on so missions are still marked with floating indicators and anything like chests, animus frags etc I tag on the map with a custom marker receives a floating marker so tbh the minimap isn't really needed to navigate in the game.

I also left sails and crew HUD indicators on for now, but I'm wondering if you can see how your crew is doing visually (reduced numbers onboard ship, looking beat up maybe, gonna check that), obviously sails have their own visual effects for degradation and speed so that HUD element isn't needed either really.

The point of all this is without all the HUD clutter not only do you engage more with the game world (as you take all your cues from the environment rather than HUD information) but the game itself feels bigger, I feel you pay more attention to the details around you... in short you look at the game more instead of the minimap.

It's an issue I had with Far Cry 3 too, the minimap (near identical) in that really pushed the "gamey" feel in a game that would have benefited infinity from a more realist approach.

So yeah, been playing AC4 sans HUD for a while now, gotten used to it, enjoying it a lot.
Anyone else play like this?

tl;dr?
No HUD = Good immersion. U dig?

Sushiglutton
11-05-2013, 02:16 PM
Waiting for the PC-version but my plan is to play it without a HUD. I replayed AC1 HUD-less a few months back after some guys on this fourm told me it was designed to be played that way. It was really suprising to me how much it changed the experience.

Take for example view-points. When entering a new city I typically look down at the mini-map to find the direction of the closest view-point. Then I run there, climb up and sync. Typically some other viewpoint is added to the mini-map so I run there and do the same thing. The experience is very mechanical. I'm giving a list with tasks so I check them off one by one.

When playing with no HUD there is nothing telling me what to do when entering a city. The intuitive feeling is to try and find some higher ground to get a better view of things. So I look up to the sky in search of a tower or similar. Instead of playing a system I'm suddenly thinking and acting like a person in that particular situation would have. That is pretty much the definition of immersion. It's very, very powerful.

I tried to play completely HUD-less in AC3, but I struggled some with missions markers being very strict and if you didn't pass them the next part of the mission wouldn't trigger. I'm curious to hear if you have expereinced any of that in AC4?

apresmode
11-05-2013, 03:11 PM
I'm going to experiment a bit with HUD less when I hop back into the game again. I think I've gotten a feel for all or most of the changes. There's a couple times so far where I feel I would have been totally at a loss as to where to go without clues on the map. I'm also concerned about not seeing any optional objectives. And in AC3 there were times that you really needed the SSI to be on in order to progess. I think it can be done for sure, but I may not go totally HUDless. I've at least gotta take out the health indicator. It's pretty big and annoying up there.

After playing Tomb Raider and The Last of Us I really love how open the screen feels without all of the gunk up there. I know those games are different, but I feel like the AC series could use some of their magic.

Birdiemaker
11-05-2013, 10:17 PM
I prefer playing without HUD too - as you said - you are more "in the game" that way...

How do feel about the misson target which - as far as I know - cannot be switched off - even with all HUD elements "off" they stay on the screen (left side for PS3) - in my opinion this is annoying - you always have that text stuff and with an optional side-mission active it has the appearance of a news-ticker.... destroying totally the atmosphere.
If Ubisoft could fix that... would be great...

luckyto
11-05-2013, 11:03 PM
My first playthrough of all games, I play with minimap only. Next, it will be no minimap. Good stuff. Much more immersive without the HUD and it hasn't been a problem in Black Flag.

tkarenko
11-05-2013, 11:12 PM
I love playing without a HUD in AC. That's how I always play them. When i first saw the first game at E3 with no HUD, i loved it. I've kept SSI on since AC2 though because I wanted to know what items i was picking up off of bodies and chests. In AC3 I turned SSI off because that stuff was moved to "updates". But in AC4 that info is back on SSI. Really? They really need to give a little more customization with the HUD, especially for an option that has some many things attached to it like SSI.

plentybeef
11-06-2013, 12:00 AM
I played w/o the HUD and I mean completely off. It didn't make me feel immersed in the game. Just my gameplay alone gives me enough feeling. But OP(original post) I get what you're sayin. I liked how there is a different sound. I felt like I was playing Hitman while HUD-less

phoenix-force411
11-06-2013, 12:39 AM
I mostly keep the life HUD on since you take a lot more damage in the game regardless...

Zellzin
11-06-2013, 12:46 AM
I love playing with all the HUD off, makes the game much more difficult. I would normally rely on the minimap to keep track of my enemies but I find myself using eagle vision a ton. The only annoyance is when I accidentally walk into a restricted area and get detected immediately.

Flutterwhat
11-06-2013, 10:43 AM
I play with only the SSI. There are a lot of visual cues and ways to figure things out without jumping into the big map, but if you need to it's harmless to just add a waypoint and get to it. The companion app actually helps a whole lot when playing Hudless. in my experience, no immersion is lost.

ETSubmariner
12-21-2014, 11:06 AM
After turning off most of the HUD, I found I could also hear more of the environment sounds, like walking on wood or stone, etc. Without all that clutter, I adjusted pretty quickly trying to find chests and such by marking them on the map.

Pandassin
12-21-2014, 12:24 PM
I love playing AC4 without HUD, it's a really fun experience. I want to play ACU without HUD too, but in this game you kinda need most of it which is a shame, especially since it has the worst HUD ever. But yeah, playing AC4 without HUD really does change your experience of the game for the better, it feels like you're more inside the world.

Aphex_Tim
12-21-2014, 01:02 PM
ACU can be played just fine with only the minimap. In fact, I've never played it any other way yet!

Golgot100
01-20-2015, 06:15 PM
I found this added a lot of longevity to AC2. I'm only now just catching up with the series, playing Black Flag, and loving the no-HUD with the sea battles especially. Just knocked up a vid today (please excuse the parrying ;))

http://youtu.be/wJrboDm_sUA

Wish I had a tablet so I could use the companion app for the map and just be totally in the game. (Also wish it removed literally everything, as I still get weird prompts, but it's pretty close!)

dargor5
01-20-2015, 08:28 PM
The only AC I can play without any sort of HUD is Unity. From blqck flag and below I needed it as the SSI doesnt appear on screen if its an area you need to go to :(

Reaper-59
01-20-2015, 08:44 PM
On the PS4 if you press and hold R3, that will remove the HUD without going in to options. Just thought I'd mention incase some people didn't know.

Democrito_71
01-20-2015, 08:58 PM
Iv'e tried to play without HUD in Unity(PS4 version) but the notification thing that pops up every time when I earn Creed points, still pops up even if I have turned off the HUD. But except for that it's really immersive to run around with the HUD off. I wonder why Ubi doesn't let us customize the HUD so we could move the HUD symbols to the corner of the screen and to minimize the HUD?

Golgot100
01-21-2015, 07:38 PM
On the PS4 if you press and hold R3, that will remove the HUD without going in to options. Just thought I'd mention incase some people didn't know.

Oo, handy

The only AC I can play without any sort of HUD is Unity. From blqck flag and below I needed it as the SSI doesnt appear on screen if its an area you need to go to :(

Aww, I prefer that. It's a bit of a pain to use the main map occassionally, but eagle vision usually sorts you out once you're close.

dargor5
01-21-2015, 08:28 PM
Oo, handy

Aww, I prefer that. It's a bit of a pain to use the main map occassionally, but eagle vision usually sorts you out once you're close.

What do you do when is an area you are supposed to reach? Having to pull the map a lot takes away from the experience even more than having the minimap

wvstolzing
01-21-2015, 08:42 PM
I played through ACU without any HUD (except the coop missions, for the locations of those damn sync points).

Even with everything turned off, ACU still displays target info., etc., which earlier games don't have, IIRC.

It also makes sense to construct a mental map of Paris in one's head, with respect to the relative positions of the important landmarks. In fact the mental map approach works fine with all the previous games (hell, it's educational as well....), except maybe AC4 (apart from Kingston and Havana).

Golgot100
01-21-2015, 10:23 PM
What do you do when is an area you are supposed to reach? Having to pull the map a lot takes away from the experience even more than having the minimap

Yeah I will go back to minimap if it's getting annoying. In cities I normally head for the synch landmark nearest (and in boats follow coasts etc). Working ok so far :)