PDA

View Full Version : AC4: How To Replay Old Missions?

SpicyRadish
11-05-2013, 02:49 AM
So i'm going to start off by saying I screwed up. I accidently started the mission The Fort in sequence 5 memory 1 ( Pressed Circle to get out of Travel View in my ship, turns out circle started the mission) and my Jackdaw isn't NEARLY upgraded enough to take on the fort and the boat that accompanies it. So I just keep dying and replaying the mission and dying. I was wondering if maybe I could replay a past memory and go from there and upgrade my ship for later, but I can't seem to figure out how or if I even can? Basically i'm stuck in a mission that I can't complete and I don't know how to get out of it. Any help would be appreciated, Thanks!

SpicyRadish
11-05-2013, 04:32 PM
Also, I tried just sailing away from the fort, and the area is unavailable. And also I can't fast travel anywhere. Is it possible to just end a mission or something? Because I'm still stuck.

Scystab
11-05-2013, 06:05 PM
I don't have AC4 yet, but the previous games had an "exit memory" option, which returns you to free roam. should be in your pause menu, but like I said, i don't have the game yet, so it might be somewhere else :)

Also, there should be the "DNA" section in the menu, which allows you to check your progress and replay old memories.

x Kolyana x
11-05-2013, 07:21 PM
So i'm going to start off by saying I screwed up. I accidently started the mission The Fort in sequence 5 memory 1 ( Pressed Circle to get out of Travel View in my ship, turns out circle started the mission) and my Jackdaw isn't NEARLY upgraded enough to take on the fort and the boat that accompanies it. So I just keep dying and replaying the mission and dying. I was wondering if maybe I could replay a past memory and go from there and upgrade my ship for later, but I can't seem to figure out how or if I even can? Basically i'm stuck in a mission that I can't complete and I don't know how to get out of it. Any help would be appreciated, Thanks!

Just registered to try and help you with this ... because I had exactly the same thing.

Firstly: You didn't screw-up. The mission automatically prompts you to press the B-key (XBox) to start the mission when you get close, BUT IT DOESN'T GO AWAY no matter how far you sail away. When you slow down or stop, it automatically accepts the mission (that can at that point be off the map). It's a bug for sure.

But now you are stuck in the mission and you can't reset it or sail/quick travel away from it. I had the same thing and my Jackdaw was not tough enough for it. However I did manage to defeat it eventually and here is how:

1) pull the single guard ship well away from the fort so the fort cannot help it. I actually pulled it around the corner of the island where a rocky island helps shield you from the fort. Separate the ship and defeat it on its own. Then board it and use that ship to repair any damage you took.

2) Then concentrate on the fort. Unlike some other people you do not have to rely on mortars, you can do it with your regular broadsides! What I did was sail back and forth, looping in front of the castle. It will fire mortar rounds at you. The minute they start targetting you just hit your maximum speed and you will sail out of harms way, the mortars will land and the fort will start reloading. In this brief gap open up with your own cannon/mortars and target the dots (approximately) above the fort. Be prepared to hit "fast travel speed" and loop around for the next broadside once the fort has returned fire. In other words you go slow, the fort tries to predict where you are going to be, fires mortars ... and you then immediately go faster. Doing this I was able to use my broadsides in close range to destroy the fort. Then starts the land attack on the fort which is the easy bit.

I hope this helps!

SpicyRadish
11-07-2013, 03:36 AM
Just registered to try and help you with this ... because I had exactly the same thing.

Firstly: You didn't screw-up. The mission automatically prompts you to press the B-key (XBox) to start the mission when you get close, BUT IT DOESN'T GO AWAY no matter how far you sail away. When you slow down or stop, it automatically accepts the mission (that can at that point be off the map). It's a bug for sure.

But now you are stuck in the mission and you can't reset it or sail/quick travel away from it. I had the same thing and my Jackdaw was not tough enough for it. However I did manage to defeat it eventually and here is how:

1) pull the single guard ship well away from the fort so the fort cannot help it. I actually pulled it around the corner of the island where a rocky island helps shield you from the fort. Separate the ship and defeat it on its own. Then board it and use that ship to repair any damage you took.

2) Then concentrate on the fort. Unlike some other people you do not have to rely on mortars, you can do it with your regular broadsides! What I did was sail back and forth, looping in front of the castle. It will fire mortar rounds at you. The minute they start targetting you just hit your maximum speed and you will sail out of harms way, the mortars will land and the fort will start reloading. In this brief gap open up with your own cannon/mortars and target the dots (approximately) above the fort. Be prepared to hit "fast travel speed" and loop around for the next broadside once the fort has returned fire. In other words you go slow, the fort tries to predict where you are going to be, fires mortars ... and you then immediately go faster. Doing this I was able to use my broadsides in close range to destroy the fort. Then starts the land attack on the fort which is the easy bit.

I hope this helps!

It took about a half an hour, probably mostly because of my bad naval battle skills, but I finally did it! Thank you so much your advice helped a lot!

SenseHomunculus
11-07-2013, 04:05 PM
I ran out of mortars before starting the memory and couldn't leave the area to buy more, so I just used my broadsides. Because you have to get close to do that, you really have to concentrate on avoiding the mortars from the fort (same goes when you take on a man-of-war). It requires some multitasking but keep an eye on the yellow and red icons in the water around you to note the spotting and then firing of the mortars. Use half-sail to quickly swerve around them and then full-sail to get out of their way. And hit X (on Xbox) to lessen the damage if you end up in the red.

x Kolyana x
11-07-2013, 05:59 PM
Yeah, I actually like taking the forts this way, throwing in broadsides and mortars combined, speeding out of harms way, ducking in really close and opening up with everything, dodging out of the way again. fun stuff. Glad you got it licked Spicey!

Frag_Maniac
12-01-2013, 01:24 AM
Forts can be easy if you use effective strategies, but back to the point about DNA and whether missions can be replayed like before, does anyone know? I've yet to see a way in the Progress Tracker to replay them.

(EDITED)
It seems it's only assassin contracts you can't replay. Main missions and naval contracts can be replayed in the Progress Tracker. Odd they use the same skull logo for assassin contracts and naval contracts, yet only one type can be replayed.

I lost 1000 Ru failing to get the "Stay out of Combat" bonus on two assassin contracts, so I wanted to replay them.

razmat2012
12-02-2013, 05:11 AM
are mortars the ones that have the wider white arc from directly side of the ship? so far I noticed 3 or 4 different shots. the one mentioned above, another thinner white arc that shoots kind of off the front to the right or left. then I think the chain shots directly out the front , and fire barrels out the back. is there something i'm missing?

skipsarg
12-15-2013, 07:15 AM
Thank you very much. My heats was sinking when I thought I would have to restart the whole game again. This worked like a charm and I am no sailor. Took me about 10 minutes. So yes this did help! :) xx

Syr.Jake
12-16-2013, 07:26 PM
If you have not completed the mission, you can quit at any time by going to the Quit menu and choosing Exit Memory.

I have had to do this a few times when I realized after starting that I did not have sufficient items to complete it properly.

mulgthor
12-25-2013, 04:46 PM
I had an issue similar to this early in the game around Sequence 3 where I accepted a naval contract and couldn't complete it. I ended up attempting it about 5 times which all failed and it eventually asked me if I would like to exit this memory. After I accepted, it took me back to free play and I could go accept that contract after a few upgrades.

Eckhartd
05-03-2015, 12:05 PM
I ran out of mortars before starting the memory and couldn't leave the area to buy more, so I just used my broadsides. Because you have to get close to do that, you really have to concentrate on avoiding the mortars from the fort (same goes when you take on a man-of-war). It requires some multitasking but keep an eye on the yellow and red icons in the water around you to note the spotting and then firing of the mortars. Use half-sail to quickly swerve around them and then full-sail to get out of their way. And hit X (on Xbox) to lessen the damage if you end up in the red.

I approached the mission out of mortars and didn't realise there's an optional objective to hit the fort with mortars for 100% sync. I finished the mission and now whenever I replay it puts me in the same spot with no mortars ammo etc.

Does anyone of you have an idea how to tackle this? I assume that replaying the previous memory wouldn't help because after doing so I would be thrown into free roam with mission 5.1 already completed and without and option to start it over from the sea (after being able to stack up).

Do those 100% syncs stack up going for the platinum? I.e. if I complete all other syncs and then start a new game and reach this mission and get 100% will it count or will I have to get 100% from start to finish?

Thanks