PDA

View Full Version : Naval in future games.

rprkjj
11-05-2013, 02:39 AM
Could it be implemented in the same way Blag Flag has done it? Well, no, because the Golden Age of Piracy was known as the Golden Age for a reason. Where will it go in future installments? I doubt they'd completely part with it, but having to find a time period and region where an open-world naval system is relevant could be creatively restricting. Honestly I don't know why I haven't seen this discussed more often. Thoughts?

DinoSteve1
11-05-2013, 03:15 AM
Well there are times in history were sailing was just as important as it was durning the 16 and 1700s like the Vikings, The Hundred years war and some parts the Greco-Persian wars around the time of Thermpylae when Themistocles raised an Athenian lead fleet.

But I think I'd prefer them to move on and try other things, it also might be nice to be a straight up Assassin again, that does nothing but assassinate people.

MIA SILENT
11-05-2013, 03:23 AM
I've wondered this too. I hope it hasn't restricted where they set future games or in what era. I have a feeling it will.

Megas_Doux
11-05-2013, 03:36 AM
Do not forget the chinese, like Zheng he, that according to some scholars......

http://www.wyler.net/history-pics/zheng-he-vs-columbus.jpg

Now, I think is one the biggest decisions Ubisoft has to take, The naval gameplay, although not very "assassinish", is being praised and liked by many.

LoyalACFan
11-05-2013, 04:07 AM
Honestly they'd do better to make a whole new IP for it. Assassin's Creed can't stick with naval warfare forever (advanced sailing technology has only been around for so long, and cannons/gunpowder have been around for even less time) and it is a winning formula. They could squeeze it into AC a bit more with a Connor sequel, but beyond that I hope it's gone, lest AC become a sailing simulator rather than an Assassin game.

inferno33222
11-05-2013, 04:43 AM
Imagine an open-world naval in the Aegean Sea set during the Golden Age of Athenian Democracy (480 BCE - 404 BCE) with cities being Athens, Sparta, and Argos. Also a large free roam area on Greece itself, because Greece is so mountainous I think it would be interesting. Though I don't know enough about the sailing technology of this time period to know if it was feasible or not.

http://www.historyforkids.org/learn/maps/aegean.jpg

Also, there could be cool ruins on Crete, where the Minoan civilization once thrived.

http://www-tc.pbs.org/wnet/secrets/images/post_pics/sinking_ruins.jpg

Not to mention that the links to the First Civilization are so great. The Greek gods are modeled off of them.

rprkjj
11-05-2013, 04:46 AM
Honestly they'd do better to make a whole new IP for it. Assassin's Creed can't stick with naval warfare forever (advanced sailing technology has only been around for so long, and cannons/gunpowder have been around for even less time) and it is a winning formula. They could squeeze it into AC a bit more with a Connor sequel, but beyond that I hope it's gone, lest AC become a sailing simulator rather than an Assassin game.

A spin-off would be nice, but making an entirely new IP based of 1 game mechanic of another IP is kind of cheap.

LoyalACFan
11-05-2013, 05:44 AM
A spin-off would be nice, but making an entirely new IP based of 1 game mechanic of another IP is kind of cheap.

That's exactly what AC is though :p It started off as a Prince of Persia game, but then it evolved into a new IP based on the free-running concept in POP.

LoyalACFan
11-05-2013, 05:45 AM
Imagine an open-world naval in the Aegean Sea set during the Golden Age of Athenian Democracy (480 BCE - 404 BCE) with cities being Athens, Sparta, and Argos. Also a large free roam area on Greece itself, because Greece is so mountainous I think it would be interesting. Though I don't know enough about the sailing technology of this time period to know if it was feasible or not.

Also, there could be cool ruins on Crete, where the Minoan civilization once thrived.

Not to mention that the links to the First Civilization are so great. The Greek gods are modeled off of them.

One big problem though; no cannons. Don't get me wrong, just sailing around on the open ocean is nice, but it wouldn't carry a whole game. You need the combat aspect of it as well.

DinoSteve1
11-05-2013, 09:05 AM
well they did use Greek fire instead, it would be interesting to use.

Legendz54
11-05-2013, 09:39 AM
They can do it but in future games it doesn't have to be part of the narrative, It can be a choice/side mission to unlock your boat and roam the seas or use fast travel.

The easy way to do it would be to make a Connor sequel and make the naval free roam since Connor already knows how to sail and they dont need to waste story introducing it. Or just jump back in time as you said to Greece and find a new way to implement it.

pirate1802
11-05-2013, 11:01 AM
Greco-Persian wars would be ultra boring navalwise. Sure they used ships, but they mostly used to ram them into each or fire arrows. Siege weaponry weren't used on ships until Alexander's times (unless my history is failing me big time). Either way, like treasonousAChater said, I hope it doesn't become a permanent feature in AC games. Sure, once in a while it would be good to have a couple of ship missions in an AC game but not permanent feature. AC is overladen with useless fluff as it is, plus naval will quickly lose its shine if you see it every year every game. I can accept it for a possible Connor sequel, but not beyond that. Better make a new IP. Because as I see it, it would be win-win for both sides. This ship game, would be freed of the constraints placed by an AC game and truly become a free roam pirate experience, and who knows.. maybe we might even have multiplayer ship battles?

Ashura_77
11-05-2013, 11:06 AM

And since, I don't remember which AC it was (a puzzle, think it was AC2, but not sure), Alexander the Great was said to be a Templar, it would nicely work out. Please Ubisoft, make it happen :)

roostersrule2
11-05-2013, 11:28 AM
Greco-Persian wars would be ultra boring navalwise. Sure they used ships, but they mostly used to ram them into each or fire arrows. Siege weaponry weren't used on ships until Alexander's times (unless my history is failing me big time). Either way, like treasonousAChater said, I hope it doesn't become a permanent feature in AC games. Sure, once in a while it would be good to have a couple of ship missions in an AC game but not permanent feature. AC is overladen with useless fluff as it is, plus naval will quickly lose its shine if you see it every year every game. I can accept it for a possible Connor sequel, but not beyond that. Better make a new IP. Because as I see it, it would be win-win for both sides. This ship game, would be freed of the constraints placed by an AC game and truly become a free roam pirate experience, and who knows.. maybe we might even have multiplayer ship battles?You're right about the ships ramming into each other but there were some cool things with boats in the Persian wars, like the bridge of boats at the Hellespont.

I think when we go to Greece we should go to the Greco-Persian wars and then we go to that ancestors grandson or even great grandson in Alexander's times.

roostersrule2
11-05-2013, 11:28 AM
And since, I don't remember which AC it was (a puzzle, think it was AC2, but not sure), Alexander the Great was said to be a Templar, it would nicely work out. Please Ubisoft, make it happen :)He's not a Templar but he's Templar backed.

ze_topazio
11-05-2013, 05:29 PM
the Golden Age of Piracy was known as the Golden Age for a reason.

Piracy existed before the "Golden Age" and continued to exist after the "Golden Age", people called those times of piracy in the Caribbeans "Golden Age" because the number of pirates and their activities were more intense than usual.

Piracy existed on other places like the Mediterranean, where North African pirates, usually called Barbary Pirates, attacked European ships and coastal cities, and their activities lasted way until the XIX century, piracy also existed in the Indian ocean around India and in the rest of Asia, and in others areas of the world.

Whatever the case, depending of the time period and location, they can use the AC3 approach and keep the naval as side missions in small areas fighting pirates, Templars and protecting ships.

well they did use Greek fire instead, it would be interesting to use.

Greek fire was not invented by ancient Greeks, it was invented in the middle ages. :rolleyes:

TonberryFeye
11-05-2013, 05:32 PM
I think Assassin's Creed needs to remember that it's meant to be a game about assassinating people. I'm enjoying Black Flag's naval aspects, but it's not really an AC game - it's a pirate game running onthe AC engine. They should backtrack and focus on giving us awesome assassination game play. Putting less time and effort into Sim City / Farmville elements wouldn't hurt either.

Ritterkreuz1978
11-05-2013, 05:39 PM
I'll admit that I love the Naval warfare in this game. So much so that I wonder if Ubisoft might consider a line of games that focus on it. I certainly hope they keep it in any future games.