PDA

View Full Version : In retrospect, that 87 Metacritic score is absolute nonsense

luckyto
11-04-2013, 05:26 PM
This game is incredible. It just appalls me that it got scores like it did. I heard that it was repetitive, but it's perhaps the least repetitive game I have every played. It has as much content as GTA, and the variety of content is all actually fun. It controls smoother, and it's story is just as tight as any open-world game I've seen. (Linear games like Last of Us do have a slight edge here in terms of polish and story-telling.... slight.... slight edge.) It's only weakness appears to be a few minor technical glitches and about 1 in 5 story missions are "meh". That's it.

Black Flag is at least a 90-95 .... at least.

Farlander1991
11-04-2013, 05:31 PM
Metacritic converts and aggregates arbitrary numbers (based on the reviewers opinions, values, personal understanding of the rating system they're using) of different systems (4 star/points, 5 star/points, 10 points, sometimes with decimals, percentage ranks) each having different 'strength' (i.e. how much they affect the Metacritic score) depending on publication into one hugely arbitrary number. Good luck having that ever making sense :p

luckyto
11-04-2013, 05:33 PM
I just think - overall - the reviews were fairly bias to the negative.

Farlander1991
11-04-2013, 05:35 PM
I just think - overall - the reviews were fairly bias to the negative.

If you read all of them you'll find most of them are very positive (even if the score is like 8 or smth)

silvermercy
11-04-2013, 05:38 PM
Yes, I think they are mostly positive. It may lose some points because it has been serialized. If this was the first game in the series it could score a 95 easily I think.

Shahkulu101
11-04-2013, 05:43 PM
Yes, I think they are mostly positive. It may lose some points because it has been serialized. If this was the first game in the series it could score a 95 easily I think.

Have you played it yet? Or are you still in the middle of an agonizing wait muhahaha

luckyto
11-04-2013, 05:44 PM

That's bias. For sure, they treat AC2 with rose-colored glasses, this is far and away superior.

silvermercy
11-04-2013, 05:45 PM
Have you played it yet? Or are you still in the middle of an agonizing wait muhahaha

I hate youuuuuuuuuu!!!!! Just wait just wait until I play it in PS4! *cries in a corner*

@luckyto: agreed!!! I haven't played it yet, but that's what I keep hearing from fans all the time lately. How good it is. :)

Shahkulu101
11-04-2013, 05:49 PM
I hate youuuuuuuuuu!!!!! Just wait just wait until I play it in PS4! *cries in a corner*

@luckyto: agreed!!! I haven't played it yet, but that's what I keep hearing from fans all the time lately. How good it is. :)

I'll be getting it for PS4 also for 10, I win.

silvermercy
11-04-2013, 05:50 PM
I'll be getting it for PS4 also for 10, I win.

:| But my PS4 disc will be so shiny! :mad: ;)

Shahkulu101
11-04-2013, 05:53 PM
:| But my PS4 disc will be so shiny! :mad: ;)

Not as shiny as Edward's teeth.

silvermercy
11-04-2013, 05:55 PM
Lmao!

poptartz20
11-04-2013, 05:58 PM

It's okay silver *pat on the back* I'm waiting for the ps4 as well! *cries in another corner* The wait is agonizing but I know it will be worth the wait of playing it on next gen!

I've heard that the game is really great! I'm happy to hear that! I don't know to much about the game yet so I'm thankful! I've spoiled a couple for myself but I don't know the ending. UNLIKE OTHER PEOPLE >_> haha (just kidding).

MIA SILENT
11-04-2013, 06:28 PM
It's an amazing game and it would probably be my favourite of the series if it wasn't for the fact it feels so familiar. I believe it's called "series fatigue". The first 2 games felt fresh and I was in awe of them at the time. So yeah I agree, the fact it's basically another Assassins Creed game (however amazing) will probably bump the numbers down a bit.

Shahkulu101
11-04-2013, 06:32 PM
Imagine it was the third entry after AC2, people would throw their knickers off and stamp tens left right and centre.

Gi1t
11-04-2013, 07:10 PM
If you read all of them you'll find most of them are very positive (even if the score is like 8 or smth)

Yeah, review SCORES and actual reviews are two very different things. How many points someone actually takes off for something is entirely arbitrary. Generally, it seems like people will take off one point per flaw, but will lump together various flaws into one overall issue with the game. They basically take a complex examination of the game and simplify it, then simplify it again and again until they're left with one totally meaningless number. XD As a result, we get to listen to people make equally simplistic judgments of the game such as: "the gameplay suckz".

I don't get how anyone can really take review scores that seriously. The only way a review can be reliable is if it's done by someone you really relate to; someone who pretty much always calls it like you see it. Only when you know a reviewer can you really evaluate what their reviews mean to YOU. I really think review sites ought to at least have detailed bios and lists of past review scores for each reviewer linked at the start of each review. Talking about oneself ought to be common practice among reviewers because reviews only mean something if you know the reviewer's perspective. Even if you disagree on the game, that still gives you some perspective on whether you'll like it or not.

From what I've seen here, the reactions to Black Flag have been really positive and indicate that the game really delivered where some of the recent games had been staying from the path, and the only flaws are areas where too little was changed, like the combat reusing AC3 animations. The reaction to the story has been VERY positive thus far and the mission design and social stealth aspects have been praised too. Now if they'd just get back on track with Prince of Persia, I might just have to try this one too. :D

SixKeys
11-04-2013, 07:56 PM
It's not like 87 out 100 is a bad score. :rolleyes:

riftsNglyphs
11-04-2013, 07:58 PM
That's bias. For sure, they treat AC2 with rose-colored glasses, this is far and away superior.

this and it's coming from an ac2 fan

luckyto
11-04-2013, 08:33 PM
It's not like 87 out 100 is a bad score. :rolleyes:

It's like getting a B when you deserved an A, even an A+. :) Game is a 95. Easy. It faults are few.

riftsNglyphs
11-04-2013, 08:34 PM
It's like getting a B when you deserved an A, even an A+. :) Game is a 95. Easy. It faults are few.

especially since a game like gta iv, a terrible game, got a 98

SgtTenor
11-04-2013, 09:42 PM
As with any series it will most likely be 'been there done tat attitude'. Look at the MMO genre. Many of them feel the same. Sure they might have different control mechanics but on the whole.... the same. For me If you are a fan of the series you'll enjoy them. I have every Lego game too and although they are basically the same, each one has it's own uniqueness and charm. Probably can't say the same thing about AC4 but it is another story of a man searching for his place in the world. That's what's it's all about.

AC4 looks fantastic.Seems like there is a lot to do.

lothario-da-be
11-04-2013, 09:51 PM
I am dissapointed in the reviews too. They almost never give it a higher score then 8.5, and that while here the fans rate it a 9+ :(

ze_topazio
11-04-2013, 10:10 PM

AC2 was only the second game and was a huge improvement over the first, AC4 is excellent, but it's just one more in a long line of AC games released every year with minor improvements, the naval is amazing but it's not something truly new, the reviewers need to take that in consideration.

TheHumanTowel
11-04-2013, 10:22 PM
You seriously whining about an 87!? Jesus fanboys gonna fanboy I guess.

I'm personally horrified at the score also though. AC4 is clearly an 88.36789. 87 is just ridiculous.

luckyto
11-04-2013, 11:17 PM
LOL

I'm not whining, well, I guess maybe. The game rocks, what can I say? I mean, I guess I just don't understand where these 100 scores come from. Nor some of the complaints in the review.

roostersrule2
11-04-2013, 11:25 PM
87 is a good score and the one it deserves.

This isn't a 90+ game.

IceHot100
11-04-2013, 11:30 PM
This game is incredible. It just appalls me that it got scores like it did. I heard that it was repetitive, but it's perhaps the least repetitive game I have every played. It has as much content as GTA, and the variety of content is all actually fun. It controls smoother, and it's story is just as tight as any open-world game I've seen. (Linear games like Last of Us do have a slight edge here in terms of polish and story-telling.... slight.... slight edge.) It's only weakness appears to be a few minor technical glitches and about 1 in 5 story missions are "meh". That's it.

Black Flag is at least a 90-95 .... at least.

"90-95...atleast"? Really? And it's not one critic who has made that score. It's created by you, by me , by the public who have played the game. I would understand your anger towards the score if it was given by one individual but sorry to break it to you. It's a perspective of many.

PS.: What was your first AC game? Just curious

davdrum8419
11-04-2013, 11:34 PM
I couldnt agree more luckyto, but I dont really look to deeply into the reviews. From the looks of the fan reviews, this game is being received rather well.. and regards to me? I am LOVING this game. Pretty much everything about it is amazing. Ive put in over 13 hours so far and I am still only in sequence 4. Just so busy doing random things and forgetting that I have missions to attend to :)

This game really put ALL the right pieces together and is for sure my favorite of the series.. maybe one of my favorite games of this gen.

luckyto
11-04-2013, 11:40 PM
Assassin's Creed.

Well, critics (about 20-30 people) gave it that score; and it is bias. It is bias against annualization. Plus, the public is still sour about ACIII. So people have gone into this game looking for ways to slam it. I read one review where the reviewers only negative was that it was repetitive. Yet, it is probably the least repetitive game that I have ever played with the wide variety of side content that is all done well. Not even GTA has side content that is that fun. Visually, it was as appealling as every other title this year ... even Last of Us which is amazing. And it had a solid story, protagonist and side characters. I play all types of games, and I'm really not understanding how it got knocked for things that other game get away with or ignored for things other games are praised for.

Is this game better than Little Big Planet 2 or Uncharted 3? Borderlands 2 or Mass Effect 3? Yes, it is. Those are all 90+ games.

LoyalACFan
11-04-2013, 11:51 PM
It's the first true "sandbox" AC, and in retrospect, it's easily superior gameplay-wise to ALL of its predecessors. I'm going to be playing AC4 non-stop for the next month, though I've already beaten the story mode, and that's something I can't say for any of the other AC's. Though I still think AC2 has the edge in terms of overall atmosphere (Renaissance architecture and Jesper Kyd's score are damned hard to beat) AC4 comes close, and it destroys AC2 in every other respect. It's the game that truly capitalizes on AC3's innovations and makes the best of them in a cohesive fashion rather than a confusing amalgamation of features like AC3 was.

My only real complaints are with the story, while it was excellent overall (with convincing character development!) I thought that

Anne Bonny was introduced FAR too late in the game, while Charles Vane and Ah Tabai were almost criminally underutilized.

TheHumanTowel
11-04-2013, 11:54 PM
You'd think AC4 got slammed from the way you're acting. From what I've seen it got mostly 8s and 9s. Reviews are just people's opinion. Just enjoy the game yourself instead of getting worked up about the meaningless difference between a set of arbitrary numbers.

luckyto
11-04-2013, 11:58 PM
I'm not worked up. Bored at work. I still feel the developers deserve more credit than they got. And this was a topic I thought people might want to discuss.

LoyalACFan
11-04-2013, 11:59 PM
Assassin's Creed.

Well, critics (about 20-30 people) gave it that score; and it is bias. It is bias against annualization. Plus, the public is still sour about ACIII. So people have gone into this game looking for ways to slam it. I read one review where the reviewers only negative was that it was repetitive. Yet, it is probably the least repetitive game that I have ever played with the wide variety of side content that is all done well. Not even GTA has side content that is that fun. Visually, it was as appealling as every other title this year ... even Last of Us which is amazing. And it had a solid story, protagonist and side story. I play all types of games, and I'm really not understanding how it got knocked for things that other game get away with or ignored for things other games are praised for.

Is this game better than Little Big Planet 2 or Uncharted 3? Borderlands 2 or Mass Effect 3?

I totally agree, but I probably wouldn't have replied if it you hadn't mentioned Uncharted 3 :p Yeah, AC4 gets knocked for being "repetitive" and "derivative" while Uncharted 3 gets 10's for being the EXACT SAME F'ING GAME as Uncharted 2, except with sand instead of snow... AC4 doesn't deserve to be compared to that trash.

I've lost all respect for IGN's reviews anyway, first it was Uncharted 3's perfect score and then it was AC4's story being described as lighthearted and disappointing... I don't know about you, but

any game where well over half the main cast dies early and horribly violent deaths is not "lighthearted" in my book. Mary Read's death was probably the saddest moment in AC history for me, she was so cool and died so young.

Farlander1991
11-05-2013, 08:20 AM
Uncharted 3, while not a horrible game per se, to me met the 'curse of thirds', so to speak. It was incohesive, didn't have good pacing, and the plot development was questionable. I mean, they even admitted that they've thought of the set pieces first and then built the story around it, and ****, it shows.

But, you know, fans complain when things stay the same and they also complain when things change, so... yeah :p

zkorejo
11-05-2013, 08:47 AM
Agreed. This game should have atleast had a Metacritic score of 94-95% atleast. It has definitely surpassed Bioshock Infinite for me already. One of the four best games this year alongside GTA V, TLOU and Bioshock Infinite... and the best part about it, I never thought it would even be remotely good.

Mr_Shade
11-05-2013, 12:13 PM
Breaths in the refreshing air..

Makes a real change to see so many positive comments about the game and to see so many say the review scores [though good] should be higher :)

Sushiglutton
11-05-2013, 02:21 PM
87 is a fantastic meta-score for the sixth game in seven years. I don't think anyone else has achieved this. Critics do look at how much a sequel has moved forward from its predecessor, so it is harder for an annualised franchise to achieve the highest scores.

D.I.D.
11-05-2013, 02:55 PM
Yeah, review SCORES and actual reviews are two very different things. How many points someone actually takes off for something is entirely arbitrary. Generally, it seems like people will take off one point per flaw, but will lump together various flaws into one overall issue with the game.

No, that's what readers do! Journalists do not start at ten and knock points off per flaw. This is idea has really taken hold in people's minds. Gamespot's readers were furious that GTA V got a 9, accusing Carolyn Petit of docking the point for misogyny, since that was her main gripe. However, Petit herself was doing what all reviewers do with a points system; asking, "Does this game feel like an [x]/10?" She decided GTA V was near perfect, and deserved a 9. The idiots didn't see a score meaning "excellent", and were focused on that meaningless, unquantifiable lost point. "SHENANIGANS!" shrieked the chimps. "How can Rival Game X get such a high score when it's got a list of problems?" is another complaint. It "felt" like a 9, that's why. Sleeping Dogs had a ridiculous number of bugs and glitches, and the occasional bit of bad design, but overall it was absolutely superb. People who think it should have got no more than a 6 or 7 because of faults are missing the bigger picture (and maybe they've forgotten what fun is).

And here we have a thread which veers towards chimpiness too, because 8/10 also means "excellent" on anybody's scale (except for the chimps, whose "out of ten" scale only contains two numbers. Under chimp rules, every game with a large fanbase should get a 10 if the series' fans say so, but human reviewers can't do that. The reviewer has to grade the game using their own personal experience of it, and try to translate that to an audience which, it is assumed, is mostly comprised of people who don't usually play that series. The diehard fans' voices are the least relevant to this conversation because their minds were made up before the review was even written, and most of them had probably bought the game already too.

D.I.D.
11-05-2013, 03:00 PM
Breaths in the refreshing air..

Makes a real change to see so many positive comments about the game and to see so many say the review scores [though good] should be higher :)

I'm surprised to see you encouraging negativity against an aggregate score which is within a whisker of 9/10. The forum's been incredibly positive all round for BF, so it's not as if this thread swims against the tide.

roostersrule2
11-05-2013, 03:08 PM
No, that's what readers do! Journalists do not start at ten and knock points off per flaw. This is idea has really taken hold in people's minds. Gamespot's readers were furious that GTA V got a 9, accusing Carolyn Petit of docking the point for misogyny, since that was her main gripe. However, Petit herself was doing what all reviewers do with a points system; asking, "Does this game feel like an [x]/10?" She decided GTA V was near perfect, and deserved a 9. The idiots didn't see a score meaning "excellent", and were focused on that meaningless, unquantifiable lost point. "SHENANIGANS!" shrieked the chimps. "How can Rival Game X get such a high score when it's got a list of problems?" is another complaint. It "felt" like a 9, that's why. Sleeping Dogs had a ridiculous number of bugs and glitches, and the occasional bit of bad design, but overall it was absolutely superb. People who think it should have got no more than a 6 or 7 because of faults are missing the bigger picture (and maybe they've forgotten what fun is).

And here we have a thread which veers towards chimpiness too, because 8/10 also means "excellent" on anybody's scale (except for the chimps, whose "out of ten" scale only contains two numbers. Under chimp rules, every game with a large fanbase should get a 10 if the series' fans say so, but human reviewers can't do that. The reviewer has to grade the game using their own personal experience of it, and try to translate that to an audience which, it is assumed, is mostly comprised of people who don't usually play that series. The diehard fans' voices are the least relevant to this conversation because their minds were made up before the review was even written, and most of them had probably bought the game already too.Her reasons or his reasons, I'm actually not sure haha were stupid though, one was actually misogyny and when the games theme is parodying America, misogyny is a must.

shobhit7777777
11-05-2013, 03:18 PM
87 is a damn fine score if you ask me...especially for the 6th (?) game in an annualized franchise

Black Flags is one of the most well designed AC games regardless of a metascore.

roostersrule2
11-05-2013, 03:23 PM
87 is a damn fine score if you ask me...especially for the 6th (?) game in an annualized franchise

Black Flags is one of the most well designed AC games regardless of a metascore.Indeed, 87 is what it deserves.

That makes it the third highest AC metacritic score behind AC2 and ACB, it's the sixth highest rated game of the year and that is in a year with games such as GTA V, TLOU, Bioshock Infinite and Tomb Raider in it.

luckyto
11-05-2013, 03:40 PM
Who you callin chimp?

-

It's an A game, not a B. Played those games you listed. It's an A game.

roostersrule2
11-05-2013, 03:43 PM
Who you callin chimp?

-

It's an A game, not a B. Played those games you listed. It's an A game.It's a B+ game.

I haven't played BI at all and not much of TLOU but GTA V is better then AC4 and TR has a better story, although I prefer AC4 due to the world and scope.

luckyto
11-05-2013, 04:27 PM
The only real difference between those games and ACIV are the few technical issues (weird glitches) and the controls are a little clunky and glitchy at times. I loved Tomb Raider. Loved Last of Us. They were A+ games. TLOU was especially awesome. But even they had issues. Last of Us was very repetitive and had some of the worst "puzzles" I've ever played in my life. And Tomb Raider's side characters were cliche' and totally weak. Just seems like a wash to me.

TheHumanTowel
11-05-2013, 04:32 PM
Who you callin chimp?

-

It's an A game, not a B. Played those games you listed. It's an A game.
You do realise an A is anything above 85% lol?

Shocking thought here, maybe the reviewers just don't agree with you. *GASP* There's not some objective scale that applies to every game.

luckyto
11-05-2013, 04:52 PM
It's an objective discussion. Chill your panty hose.

Obviously they disagree with me. Duh, bananas. If they agreed with me, I wouldn't be disagreeing.

TonberryFeye
11-05-2013, 05:03 PM
I know I'll likely get flak for this, but AC 4 is probably the worst Assassin's Creed ever made... and yes, that does include Revelations.

The tutorials are ham-fisted and jarring; the "Abstergo" plot is the most irksome and least engaging yet; the multiplayer is an insult to the franchise and the movement feels clumsier and less precise than ever.
Throw in a whole host of silly glitches, questionable design choices and general dumbing down, and the result is a bloody terrible game that really doesn't deserve half the praise it gets.

However, what is worthy of praise is the sequel to Sid Meyer's Pirates that is hiding inside of the AC4 framework. The whole pirate aspect of the game is solid, and continues to be fun long after I've stopped giving a crap about Templars and Assassins and Ubisoft Montreal wanking off about how funny it is to make themselves a villainous corporation taking over the world.

Sid Meyer's Pirates 2: Black Flag is a really good game, but it shouldn't have been released under the AC banner. As my partner put it - "everything I hated about AC 3 has been blown up tenfold and has become the whole point of the game."

To me, it's a cool pirate adventure game. To my partner, it's a collection of pointless Facebook apps and stupid minigames. The only thing we can agree on is that it is not Assassin's Creed.

luckyto
11-05-2013, 05:08 PM
Finally, a real opinion. Thanks, I disagree, but thanks for adding real criticism instead of "whining about the whining."

the multiplayer is an insult to the franchise and the movement feels clumsier and less precise than ever.
Throw in a whole host of silly glitches,

Yeah, I agree with you there. All true. I disagree everywhere else, but that is spot on.

TheHumanTowel
11-05-2013, 06:00 PM
It's an objective discussion. Chill your panty hose.

Obviously they disagree with me. Duh, bananas. If they agreed with me, I wouldn't be disagreeing.
What are you on about? What's objective about this?

Sushiglutton
11-05-2013, 06:06 PM
the movement feels clumsier and less precise than ever.

questionable design choices

general dumbing down

Could you please provide examples for these? In what situations is the movement clumsier? What questionable design choices? Examples of the general down-dumbing?

What are you on about? What's objective about this?

Pretty sure he meant "subjective" :)

SolidSage
11-05-2013, 07:01 PM
Excellent AC entry. Optimized blend of everything the series has done right to date and makes great advances of it's own.

Tis the best one I've played yet. It should not score lower on metacritic than any of the previous Creeds'. So yeah, 87, while not a disparaging score at all, is just not correct.