PDA

View Full Version : I love the Sea Shanties, but.....

Ritterkreuz1978
11-04-2013, 03:03 PM
I love 'em, plain and simple. They add so much to the game as far as immersion goes for me, and I enjoy sailing all the more because of them. But.....I just learned my favorite one (Drunken Sailor) in the game only dates back to about 1820, with it's first published account appearing in 1839, over 100 years after the game takes place. Also, the word "early" was pronounced, well um, early and not earl-aye until Burl Ives recorded a version in 1956.

Oh well, it's still my favorite and I'll enjoy it none-the-less despite it's historical inaccuracy.

TheDanteEX
11-04-2013, 04:21 PM
Creative liberties. There's no in-game excuse as far as I'm aware as these memories are unaltered, but it's a popular sea shanty so it would just be best to include it. Just like searching for buried treasure. It may not be accurate but it is neat.

Am I the only one who wishes you could pick which song the crew sings? Most of them are catchy but there are a select few that I am in love with.

DovahHunter
11-04-2013, 04:27 PM
Just think of it as Abstergo Entertainment adding it in for fun

Klagermeister
11-04-2013, 05:06 PM
Historical inaccuracy in an Assassin's Creed game?
Surely you jest!

Crouching.Tiger
11-04-2013, 09:55 PM
Creative liberties. There's no in-game excuse as far as I'm aware as these memories are unaltered, but it's a popular sea shanty so it would just be best to include it. Just like searching for buried treasure. It may not be accurate but it is neat.

Am I the only one who wishes you could pick which song the crew sings? Most of them are catchy but there are a select few that I am in love with.

Actually, the memories aren't unaltered. If you check out the Animus database entry for the cathedral of Havana (which wasn't built until a few decades after the game takes place), Abstergo basically says "screw historical accuracy, it's too cool to leave out". If they can include a cathedral that wasn't built yet, they surely can include songs that weren't written.

Farlander1991
11-04-2013, 10:05 PM
Regarding altered/unaltered memories, this is slight off-topic (considering the thread is about AC4 and sea shanties), but I've always wondered if Charles Lee is a total *** when we play as Connor and a very helpful and resourceful man when we play as Haytham because they remember him that way.

DinoSteve1
11-04-2013, 10:18 PM
What are peoples favorites? I like Leave her Johnny.

MIA SILENT
11-04-2013, 10:24 PM
What are peoples favorites? I like Leave her Johnny.

Randy Dandy O

jabulaniman
11-04-2013, 11:06 PM
I also wish yoi could choose which shanty is sung. Only heard Drunken Sailor twice! :(
I read on some review that you could like GTA-guess they were wrong?

ladyleonhart
11-04-2013, 11:12 PM
I also wish yoi could choose which shanty is sung. Only heard Drunken Sailor twice! :(
I read on some review that you could like GTA-guess they were wrong?

You can choose which one they sing. :) Just press the right-directional button, for the 'Sing' option, each time you want to listen to a different one. I guess it's like being able to skip through a playlist. Your crew will immediately start singing a different one. I do this a lot since I already have my favourites. :D

luckyto
11-04-2013, 11:13 PM
Whiskey Johnny. Whiskey take me to where I go...

DisbandedBox359
11-04-2013, 11:20 PM
Shanties are awesome, also love the tavern songs

LoyalACFan
11-05-2013, 12:03 AM
Leave Her Johnny, Drunken Sailor, and Randy Dandy O are my jam. Haven't found them all yet though, so there are bound to be more gems out there.

Shahkulu101
11-05-2013, 12:48 AM
My favorite is probably Lowlands Away or Randy Dandy.

ArabianFrost
11-05-2013, 01:14 AM
My favorite is probably Lowlands Away or Randy Dandy.

Lowlands Away and Padstow's Farewell. They almost have the same gloomy mood to them and both are awesome.

On the more Spanish side of things, Rio Grande is really cool too.

ZeRoDiVide 101
11-05-2013, 11:47 AM
You can choose which one they sing. :) Just press the right-directional button, for the 'Sing' option

Thank you.
I had no idea you could do this.
Does the game tell you this at any point?
I play with no HUD so I may have missed it.

robinthefactory
11-05-2013, 06:55 PM
Mine would be Captain Kidd, Drunken sailor(because of drunken whaler from dishonored), leave her, Johnny, Randy Dandy-O, and lastly The Dead Horse. Good playlist don't you think?

D173120T
11-05-2013, 08:29 PM
Thank you.
I had no idea you could do this.
Does the game tell you this at any point?
I play with no HUD so I may have missed it.

Just right click on the D Pad when sailing and the menu appears

JarekKorczynski
11-05-2013, 08:37 PM
I'll enjoy it none-the-less despite it's historical inaccuracy.

Which can be easily said about the game in general. :)

MuddledMuppet2
11-05-2013, 09:13 PM
I actually love that song, and yeah i can live with a little historical liberty in the name of art :)

I did a version of this song whilewaiting release, so its put out as a trailer, maybe you might like it. Or maybe not!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d3AGYcBMhWA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d3AGYcBMhWA

Flutterwhat
11-06-2013, 10:53 AM
my favorite is Leave her Johnny, but Haul away joe was great in AC3.
My favorite song of them all is the tavern song "all for me grog."
I've loved that song since i was a lad, i was so happy to see it included into ac4.