PDA

View Full Version : AC4 Review: Thanks Ubisoft for making the best game in history(literally ;D)*spoilers

jabulaniman
11-03-2013, 01:18 PM
I'm loving it so much. I knew I would ever since it was revealed as the naval part was my favorite thing in AC3.

And the game actually feels a bit more like AC2 and ACB, which I love. The vibrant colours and close built, irregular buildungs, perfect for free running.

The first thing I noticed was the stunning detail...of everything. The detail of the landscapes, foliage and towns. It's amazing.
The second thing I noticed was the sheer SIZE. The game is HUGE! And it keeps that detail throughout. Wow. Like, Havanah was freakin awesome, and then I went on the map thinking, hmm this town is pretty big..and then I zoomed out...and out... and out...

I love Edward. He's such a pleasant change after grumpy Connor. A cool, swashbuckling foul-mouthed yet friendly welsch badass. Love him. Oh, and his robe/armour is amazing. Best one yet.

There is so much to do and explore. Getting back to those classic dove Assassination Missions is great, booty hunting with treasure maps is fantastic. Shanties, manuscripts, all that, all great.

Sea battles, especially boarding, is an absolute blast. When you see gameplay demos, you're usually like "Well, they took like one of the highlights of the game, that probably doesn't happen often" in this case, NOPE. Zooming up onto the mast, then swinging onto the enemy ship to air assassinate, then to get up, whip out your guns and shoot 3 guys in a row, pew pew pew. Fun.

Combat and gameplay remains pretty much the same as AC3, that's good. Edwards can treejump, run-kill, hunt, all the cool new features from AC3. There's a lot of stealth, great!

The story has been really solid so far, and the characters are all great.

Also, as I mentioned, the game really went back to how it was in Ezio's time. The buildings, assassinations, synchronizations.

The carribean towns are so cool, from secret pirate coves to bustlings towns like Nassau or Havanah, and of course, extremely detailed.
And exploring the waters, and all the little islands, is awesome.

A big thing for me in games is also the music. I love film and video game music, and Assassin's Creed has a history of awesome soundtracks that have made it onto my iPod. Alas, AC4 does not disapoint. Rocking those pirate shanties all day long! ;)

Also, a smaller thing: The loading screen and main menu design is superb, the best I have ever seen.

Well, that's my review. Favorite game in the series. No, favorite game of all time.

I'm personally hoping for a Black Flag 2, if they can manage to make the game different enough.
Thoughts?

ZAMBIA449
11-03-2013, 01:35 PM
I agree with your thoughts as well, although would add the diving/underwater gameplay is also great - trying to loot chests etc, while trying to avoid sharks and not running out of breath is cool - really well done.

And yes the map is massive, alot bigger then i expected, plus more stuff opens up to explore as your progress. i would love to see a Black flag 2 - on next gen only, but hope ubisoft release some quality dlc first though

roostersrule2
11-03-2013, 01:40 PM
I love it too.

However there's not going to be a Black Flag 2, it's known that Edward dies early and in that time he's more of a parent then an Assassin. The DLC is with Adewale but Mr_Shade has said that the Season Pass only incorporates announced DLC so maybe there's going to be more after that and Edward could come along.

SneakierNote
11-03-2013, 02:04 PM
I think its the best game ever made seriously. I been up for days with no rest. Sadly I found a bug for Xbox 360 users. All I can do is hope they fix it, bug is detailed in the post above. AC 4 is better then FC 3 and Oblivion never thought I would say I liked a game better then those.

jabulaniman
11-03-2013, 02:32 PM
I agree with your thoughts as well, although would add the diving/underwater gameplay is also great - trying to loot chests etc, while trying to avoid sharks and not running out of breath is cool - really well done.

And yes the map is massive, alot bigger then i expected, plus more stuff opens up to explore as your progress. i would love to see a Black flag 2 - on next gen only, but hope ubisoft release some quality dlc first though

Ah yes, I havn't actually gotten that far yet! Looking forward to it.

I also REALLY like the main menu AND the loading screen. The blue looks better than the same ol' bright animus-y white light, and I like how it looks like the sea too.

AngryRaisin
11-03-2013, 02:46 PM
It took me over 10 hours of play to warm up to it and realize how mind-blowingly cool it is because I wasn't playing the main storyline and therefore didn't have full functionality. But once I got through Sequence 4 and realized what a bonehead I had been, I fell in love with the game. I'm now over 20 hours in and only on Sequence 5 and feel like I have barely scratched the surface of all the locations and missions. I am blown away by things like the wildlife and marine life and the beauty of the locations and such. I am going on vacation tomorrow and will have withdrawals until I get back! LOL

Landruner
11-03-2013, 06:10 PM
I love it too.

However there's not going to be a Black Flag 2, it's known that Edward dies early and in that time he's more of a parent then an Assassin. The DLC is with Adewale but Mr_Shade has said that the Season Pass only incorporates announced DLC so maybe there's going to be more after that and Edward could come along.

It will be a Black Flag 2, but by its own, and perhaps not related to the AC franchise at all - AC5 won't be a sequel to Black Flag

AWO1 Wolf
11-03-2013, 08:49 PM
I agree with all the comments made, it made me laugh at the mention of the loading screens. I thought the same thing when first loading the game. This is by far my favorite Assassins creed, game of the year!

jabulaniman
11-03-2013, 08:55 PM
Hah,I know, right. It's just something...which makes the game that little bit more awesome, however small.

AWO1 Wolf
11-03-2013, 09:02 PM
Definitely, it's those small details, that we love to see.

Black_Widow9
11-04-2013, 05:17 AM
So glad you liked it! Please make sure you also post this here:
http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/803791

jabulaniman
11-04-2013, 11:17 PM
Done!

DinoSteve1
11-04-2013, 11:34 PM
I love AC4 but the best game in history is a bit of a reach, its not even the best game this year, its great don't get me wrong but the best? I don't think so.