PDA

View Full Version : How can you take the ladder seriously when....

ZorboidOrbb
11-03-2013, 12:51 PM
1. People with one game have over 2000 points (at least on xbox). I am about to ask them to tutor their ways of templarhood. Clearly, you (Ubisoft) seem to like them.
2. YOU force us into a limited mode for god knows why and THEN as if it was not enough, *** a "Quitting" penalty. Can't you guys track when we go to a limited mode in the middle of the game?

Seriously, I have no idea what was actually tested (corner cases) with the ladder after development but.... a humble request to Ubisoft developers. Take down the ladder before you fix the issues. Sure, you couldn't care less about the "competitive" side of the community (BOO HOO) but.. makes sense, no? In my line of work, if I wrote a half baked code and release it to customers, my company would lose its customers and I'd probably lose my job.

Buckle up Ubisoft. Lets hear it. Whats up with ladders?

PS: I still haven't found a possible reason for you to throw the godly "Templar grade pyramid" to the trash bin only to bring out this ladder which rewards quantitative play rather than a qualitative play! Miss the good old TGP days in ACB. Really miss it.

GSK666
11-05-2013, 04:18 PM
Templar grade pyramid. I miss that. It was great. ACB days...

GreatWight
11-05-2013, 08:00 PM
TGP - had its own problems. All it truly measured was who could get into the noobiest lobbies for 3 matches so that they could get huge scores. There were even people going into specific DLC lists for this purpose.

Quirky Jezza
11-05-2013, 08:59 PM
I hate the abstergo ladder. In AC3 it was always broken for me in the first few days. I would randomly lose hundreds of points and I often reached the top 100 in the evening but when I came on in the morning I had lost a few thousand score >.<. After it was fixed I managed to settle in the top 10. I even managed 7th for a while :D. After the ladder reset for the first time I no longer cared for the ladder. it was so stressful worrying about disconnecting and being paired with noobs in team modes >.<

In AC4 it was also broken yet again. My score kept resetting to 100 every time I reloaded the game. After reaching the top 100 (I was 53 on the second day) it reset yet again and now I dont care anymore, I got the relic, etc :p.

DeanOMiite
11-05-2013, 09:34 PM
TGP - had its own problems. All it truly measured was who could get into the noobiest lobbies for 3 matches so that they could get huge scores. There were even people going into specific DLC lists for this purpose.

Oh my God I'm glad SOMEBODY ELSE finally thinks this too! Any idiot can drop huge scores on people who don't know what they're doing. I've got 15K scores in manhunt and I've got plenty of 10K scores in Wanted and I had 13K in deathmatch before, blah blah blah blah...but most of the games are against idiots. Yesterday though, I was in a reallllllly talented deathmatch room. There were a couple people I recognized from my ACB days so I knew they were good, the lobby had 7 of 8 players at least in first prestige (I know this doesn't say anything about skill, but at least it means everybody knew how to play) and there was at least one forumer in the game...RaininStormWake actually got a 1400+ pt kill on me in that game because I got stunned near him and managed to get a bench kill on me while I was grounded hahaa. But whatever, I played a couple games in that room, came in 2nd in one match that I joined with like 8 minutes left, and won the second match with something like 6600 pts, came in 4th I think the next match before I went to play some manhunt. But I mean...2nd place against a really good room, and a win with 6000+...I put more stock in that 6600 pt game against really good players than any of the games I've put up 10K against noobs.

DeanOMiite
11-05-2013, 09:36 PM
On the original topic. The ladder is broken. I'd be ranked 80something right now if it wasn't for all these hackers getting abstergo score of 2000 after one game or two games or whatever. But, that's why leaderboards are stupid, people ALWAYS hack them. The only reason I care about it in this game is because there's an unlock for it. Even if it's stupid, I can't stand that I'll probably never be able to get it because of all the cheaters. I b*tched and b*itched and b*itched about now having unlocks tied to your rank in the last game and this was the EXACT reason.

But c'est la vie. People are idiots and I'm not going to let them ruin my game for me.

Lethalla
11-05-2013, 10:30 PM
The ladder system has been stuffed since ACR; IMO there's no point even looking at it as it's not a genuine indication of how good a player anyone is, really. And Dean is correct - even Templar Grade was the same. Since score was how you went up, it was always better to play against noobs than pro players. I'd do that myself to improve my ladder position - even recently. Until the update last Monday I was in 2nd place on the FFA ACB board (and had been for weeks despite no Ranked sessions at all), and the leader had quite a good lead against me - it was impossible to catch up - but she was the same, if she saw I was in the lobby she'd quit because I beat her almost every time.

Plus ša change, as the French say... ;)

persiateddy95
11-05-2013, 11:27 PM
Back when ACB was active I always saw the best players at the top. Whether it worked 100% or not, it still worked much better than a ladder that only promotes quantity and where most players aren't even that amazing.

Free_Hidings
11-05-2013, 11:45 PM
Simple fact is most of us don't.

The ladder is easy to abuse / manipulate and is not a solid indicator of skill. Just enjoy the game, if you want to prove how good you are do it in game rather than on paper.

Carbiner
11-06-2013, 01:04 AM
Don't take it seriously? Even the "good" players on the ladder I've beaten with some regularity; granted the extremely good players from ACB don't play anymore so its sort of a crapshoot now regardless.

CasualCreed
11-06-2013, 02:35 AM
Only way for a ladder system to work is trough ranked matchmaking.

GameRenegade
11-06-2013, 07:17 AM
Imo they need to bring back "Ranked matches" and not just regular matches. Also the Templar Grade Pyramid works to an extent. Yes people can get high scores in nooby lobbies. Yes some people boosted and cheated. But when people cheated the community knew. And the people who were on top of the leaderboard were there for a reason. They knew how to play the game really well and also be really consistent about it. Saying that all they could do is beat up noobs and they were not THAT good at the game is untrue. Any person who played ACB knows this. The TGP was the best grading system in a AC game to date. It was dependent on quality and not quantity. On the newer games the way you get to the top is you play all day everyday, and I don't know about you but I have a life. Js

Metroid-Prime
11-07-2013, 10:54 PM
. Until the update last Monday I was in 2nd place on the FFA ACB board (and had been for weeks despite no Ranked sessions at all), and the leader had quite a good lead against me - it was impossible to catch up - but she was the same, if she saw I was in the lobby she'd quit because I beat her almost every time.

Plus ša change, as the French say... ;)

She quits against anyone who is even remotely good lol

Tha Fazz
11-07-2013, 11:54 PM
Back when ACB was active I always saw the best players at the top. Whether it worked 100% or not, it still worked much better than a ladder that only promotes quantity and where most players aren't even that amazing.

This

Lethalla
11-08-2013, 05:20 AM
She quits against anyone who is even remotely good lol

Yes... One of my friends said she'd always quit the lobby if he joined it.
Should we be flattered? :D

persiateddy95
11-08-2013, 08:42 PM
If you're talking about the one who's #1 atm I used to play with her sometimes when I was still active on PS3, she started quitting later on lol

ZorboidOrbb
11-08-2013, 09:20 PM

Thing was, the weeks you didn't, the scores would go down. and even if you kept running into noob lobbies, if you keep growing, the per game score needed to keep your rank used to go up consistently so it was only a matter of weeks before your score came down. It was perfectly balanced imo.

And when I was playing, there was no abuse of noob lobbies. Any time I played assassinate, I always found at least 2 others who were in top 15.

woodbok
11-09-2013, 01:14 AM
the top of ps3 ladder right now is someone with 130k score with 11 sessions. theres people there who have 3k with 1 session.