PDA

View Full Version : Questions about boardings

SenseHomunculus
11-03-2013, 07:51 AM
Hi all - two things I noticed about boardings and don't understand.

First, upon boarding a Spanish-flagged frigate (perhaps higher levels, too, haven't gotten that far yet) I noticed an non-crew ally running around on deck. He has a blue dot to signify that, and the prompt says to "defend him" but I have no idea where he comes from or who he is. Doesn't say anything about it after the frigate's crew surrenders, like an extra reward or whatever.

And then second, when boarding pirate hunter ships (I think level 2 or higher) a couple of the ship's crew I'm fighting have little icons over their heads and I don't know what they mean. A couple times one guy had a little skull icon. It seemed that he was a tougher fighter than the other crewmen, but I may be wrong. And just a while ago one guy had what I thought was a plus sign, but it was only onscreen for a second (so I may be wrong) and then we defeated the crew so it disappeared. I thought afterwards maybe it was indicating there was only one more crewman left to kill? But I've only seen it the one time on a few dozen pirate hunter boardings, and it would be weird that only the guy I was fighting happened to have that icon.

If anyone knows either of these, help is appreciated.

Thanks!

Bahamut_God
11-03-2013, 12:14 PM
For the first question I think they're just your crew member struggling against opponents and about to die. For second question I think the skull refers to your first question now what I THINK is that the skull above their head is meaning those are the enemies that your crew members are struggling from?

SenseHomunculus
11-03-2013, 01:35 PM
For the first question I think they're just your crew member struggling against opponents and about to die. For second question I think the skull refers to your first question now what I THINK is that the skull above their head is meaning those are the enemies that your crew members are struggling from?

I suppose, but then it's odd that I had never seen that ally icon or the notification on any previous boarding, when I've had plenty of Jackdaw crewmen killed. The skull icon makes sense, but again it only appeared when I got to the level of attacking frigates, so maybe it's because their crews are better fighters?

SenseHomunculus
11-03-2013, 01:59 PM
OK I think you're right about the ally icon. I just boarded a pirate hunter schooner and saw the ally guy. Earlier I thought maybe he as an escaped prisoner you had to defend, but I'm pretty sure he boarded with the rest of my crew.

AngryRaisin
11-03-2013, 02:51 PM
The red above their head and then skull is part of combat and not specific to types of people. I think it means they are about to kill you and you need to do a Counter or evasive maneuver if you are going to survive their blow as standard strikes aren't enough defense when they are locked on like that.

SenseHomunculus
11-03-2013, 07:19 PM
The red above their head and then skull is part of combat and not specific to types of people. I think it means they are about to kill you and you need to do a Counter or evasive maneuver if you are going to survive their blow as standard strikes aren't enough defense when they are locked on like that.

Hey Raisin! That makes sense, actually, because the skull icon guys have been REALLY tough to kill (for me, anyhow). In fact, I think my boardings when those guys appeared have ended before I could actually kill them when I reached the required number of crew kills.