PDA

View Full Version : What happened to the combat system in AC4???

JDrizzle117
11-02-2013, 11:27 PM
I'm at a loss as to what happened here. There is so much to like about the game, but the combat is HORRIBLE! I can't understand why certain choices were made here no matter how hard I try. One of the better aspects of the combat in ACIII was that it was crisp, brutal, and the controls were responsive...it was very satisfying to watch Connor destroy enemies with efficiency while never feeling out of the users control. The animations were quick and bloody and chaining together kills was intuitive and fluid.

With AC4, it's like they kept the single button parry function from AC3, but then paired it with the enemy AI from AC1, (only one attacks at a time ever), added sluggish animations that take so long they make the user feel as though the game is running in slow motion, and inexplicably tossed out instant kills from behind with anything other than the hidden blade, and finished it off with a wildly erratic camera. Please someone help me understand this?

1.) Remember when you could help out an ally by taking your sword out and sticking it through an enemy's back for an instant kill? You can't do it here...why the !@#$ not??? Now you either get one of 2 or 3 kill animations using the hidden blade or you get Edward slashing them and having them turn around and fight you. Seriously...what the !!@# is this $hit? Coming up behind someone and ramming a bayonet through their back was awesome, seeing a generic slashing animation followed by the enemy turning around as though you simply tapped him on the shoulder...NOT awesome. Dual swords should be slammed right through a enemy's unsuspecting back...not slashed in the same fashion as though they were facing you.

2.) Remember the way you could chain together counter kills in ACIII? You know, when you saw two enemies attacking, so you pressed the appropriate button twice and Connor executed a double counter kill animation? In AC IV, this never happens --- instead its like the AI was ripped from the progenitor and transplanted into this game...where enemies circle around you, but just stand there waiting to attack you one at a time. Honestly the opportunity to counter more than one attacker simultaneously happens so rarely, I'm not sure it isn't just a bug when they do.

3.) Overly long animations for basic attacks make the game feel incredibly unresponsive. There is no point timing your strikes now though as there is no discernible reward to timing your button presses with when the swords hit the enemies, so I guess you are just supposed to pound the button and eventually after a few long drawn out animations your opponent might eventually die. Then I sure hope you continued to pound in the direction of some enemy if you had any hope of chaining a kill streak together.

4.) The kill animations are lame and seriously lack the visceral nature of AC4's predecessors. Maybe its because the camera seems to never know whether it should be in and out and so it just randomly zooms around wherever it pleases during fights often depriving you of both the awareness that you are in some kind of kill animation, the satisfaction of seeing said animation actual sight of said killing, and often making you unable to tell what the hell is going on around you.

I just don't get it. This game is such a cool experience and it should easily be the best in the series, but the combat is such a frustrating mess, that I can't say that it is. I love this game, but I just cannot understand how they could F!@# up something so fundamental to the game in such a major way. Every other aspect of the game, for the most part, improves upon what was laid out in AC3, but they managed to destroy one of the best aspects of that game in a profound and saddening way.

Kagurra
11-02-2013, 11:38 PM
I only read the beginning of your post and parts of the bulletins, and I haven't played the game myself because I'm waiting for next-gen, but I would blame parts of this on current-gen systems. I know people want to play this game as soon as possible, but ps3/360 versions of the game really aren't actually the real versions of the game IMO. I told my friend who mentioned possibly getting it for current-gen (because he can't get next-gen right away) that I wouldn't spoil my experiences and time with the game on the current consoles, even though he would be getting it for next-gen too, his first (probably many) hours with the game would pale in comparison to what it could be on next-gen.

But you've already bought it and I can't tell people how to spend their money, so anyways, like I said, I think the combat AI has been limited on current-gen because of the resources needed for other things. Besides, combat in AC3 was boring anyways compared to Brotherhood. The enemy types were so distinctive that you could only take a certain enemy out in a (couple) certain way/way's, which like I said... is boring.

tkarenko
11-02-2013, 11:41 PM
I agree that the the double sword kill animations look sloppy. I knew right from the moment double swords were announced it wouldn't look great because of how AC3 animations handled (as in weapons not actually connecting to each other when blocking and weapons not connecting to enemies during kill animations.) One more sword is just one more thing that makes the bad animation sync look worse. it also looks weird when on a crowded ship with 15 other NPCs. Swords just clip through everyone. I wish there was an option to just use one sword when you wanted to. I am a fan of the hidden blade animations though. Better than AC3's.

MIA SILENT
11-03-2013, 01:16 AM
The combat is definitely better in AC3, I agree. You can instant kill from behind with the double-swords though, but only in a high profile kill animation that looks exactly the same as the double-blade animation. I'm guessing that the new team in charge of combat didn't have much discussion with the people that made AC3's so great. This is the only thing about AC4 that is worse than AC3 as far as I'm concerned. I always set my X/Y axis sensitivity to max, which helps out a little when in combat. Less of a fight with the camera. Also, AC3's 'quick-select' functions better than AC4's.

hamNdoritos
11-03-2013, 05:04 AM
I feel like they didn't even bother to advance the combat system for AC4, Edward has the same fighting, killing, and assassinating moves. In AC3 the moves fit Conner really well because he wield a tomahawk and when he counter kills, He hacks the tomahawk into the enemy's neck like he's chopping wood. They used this same counter kill style for Edward and it's just really not smooth, He counter kills the same way but it looks like he's hacking the butt of the sword into the enemy's neck.

Nurikee
12-09-2013, 06:58 AM
I can't agree with you more, I just figured that the kill combo animations from AC3 were gone in AC4.. I have played almost the whole game now. But then I was eating and playing one handed while fighting 5 guards in a "hard" city and just pressing E (block) after like 4 minutes of just doing this 2 enemies came at the same time finally and I got a kill combo animation. I've had this game for a month playing everyday and almost 100% complete and yet this was the first time I saw this animation. The combat is horrid in this game.

STDlyMcStudpants
12-09-2013, 07:48 AM
100% Agreed.
ACR and AC3 made you cringe in a good way.
Combat here is very simple, but finishing blows take way too long and can be interrupted...not good when you have to constantly take on 20 enemies at a time....
It's a shame i have to stab someone in the throat 20 times before they die.
I blame the people that cry every year because AC is easy.

I will say the double assassination front facing hop was a good cringe worthy move..wish there were more like that that made me oooooooooooooo

MaceoniK
12-09-2013, 08:31 AM
One element of the combat system I haven't seen anyone talk about is:- when your fighting the captain archetypes and you press or just hold the counter button, Edward kicks them in the bollocks leaving them incapacitated while they bend over in pain, and even in this compromising position you can't finish them with one move, I find that so stupid:mad:.
I could go on and on about how the combat system is such a massive step back compared previous AC's, but it would be way to long and no one would read it.

Remember when you could throw dust in guards eyes with Ezio?, that was cool:cool:

shobhit7777777
12-09-2013, 09:05 AM
I agree with OP

Combat is an absolute joy-killer

HiddenKiller612
12-09-2013, 09:09 AM
For rizzle JDrizzle?

D.I.D.
12-09-2013, 01:15 PM
1. You can, but it's not as surefire as in previous games
2. You can, but again it's harder to do. As for multiple attackers, I think they had to back off this a bit to make ship boarding combat possible, but they do definitely attack you together still. Could be better though.
3. I really don't think these are worse now than before. I only played AC3 once, but I'm sure the animations seemed too long in that. I didn't get the same sense of control being taken off me quite so much in this edition, which was welcome.
4. I didn't have many problems with the camera. Generally I appreciated it staying zoomed out more

I preferred the combat this time. It was a little more strict about wrong button presses, so you had to be a touch more careful than in the past about what you did. Still extremely simple once you knew what you had to do, but I quite liked it even though my preference would be for something much more deadly and strategic.

Sushiglutton
12-09-2013, 02:55 PM
The description that combat was great in AC3 and terrible in AC4 is completely off imo. The way I think about it is that combat was very lackluster in AC3 and then they made a few minor tweaks for AC4. Dual counters were not a good feature (btw you only need to tap once :) ). Overly long animations with a cinematic camera completely disrupted the flow. They were also overpowered.

The way to evolve combat is def not to go back, they need to go forward.

luckyto
12-09-2013, 04:10 PM
AC3's combat was much much better. ACIV's combat is a travesty to the franchise. It's the games' major failing.

DynaRider
12-09-2013, 04:56 PM
The combat when you board a ship is really chaotic! First, when you swing over on the rope and try an air assassination on an enemy below you all Edward does is jump on them without hurting them. If you're in the midst of several enemy Edward just jumps from one to another without killing anyone and when you only need to kill one more enemy it's pretty hard since he won't concentrate on killing single one instead just jumping around swinging his swords. Also if you're running low on health and need to switch from a pistol to smoke bombs it's sometimes near impossible. Also getting Edward to drop a smoke bomb is oftentimes difficult. I think the combat system definitely needs an overhaul.

MnemonicSyntax
12-09-2013, 06:38 PM
One element of the combat system I haven't seen anyone talk about is:- when your fighting the captain archetypes and you press or just hold the counter button, Edward kicks them in the bollocks leaving them incapacitated while they bend over in pain, and even in this compromising position you can't finish them with one move, I find that so stupid:mad:.
I could go on and on about how the combat system is such a massive step back compared previous AC's, but it would be way to long and no one would read it.

Remember when you could throw dust in guards eyes with Ezio?, that was cool:cool:

I've brought it up multiple times and how as a pirate, he fights dirty and I like it. However he should also be able to throw sand in the faces of the enemies, like Ezio, as that was a "dirty move."

"You cheated"

"Pirate"

D.I.D.
12-09-2013, 06:48 PM
The combat when you board a ship is really chaotic! First, when you swing over on the rope and try an air assassination on an enemy below you all Edward does is jump on them without hurting them. If you're in the midst of several enemy Edward just jumps from one to another without killing anyone and when you only need to kill one more enemy it's pretty hard since he won't concentrate on killing single one instead just jumping around swinging his swords. Also if you're running low on health and need to switch from a pistol to smoke bombs it's sometimes near impossible. Also getting Edward to drop a smoke bomb is oftentimes difficult. I think the combat system definitely needs an overhaul.

It's not as bad as that. It seems to depend on the type of enemy you target for the air assassination, and some will only go down to that attack in the rarest of circumstances, but it does work. You lock an enemy with left trigger. I prefer the way it's now difficult to pull out a weapon that's not already engaged. I hated the weapon wheel pausing everything and giving you all the time on the world. I know technically this is only the same as pausing, but surely hardly anyone pauses mid-fight. The old systems demanded that you paused.

I won't argue that things need to be overhauled since there's a lot I'd like to see redesigned from scratch, but as this combat goes I think they did a decent job with it this time.

STDlyMcStudpants
12-09-2013, 06:48 PM
I only played AC3 once, but I'm sure the animations seemed too long in that.

It's not about the animation as much as the execution. I don't mind the slow mo cringe that AC3 and ACR delivered beautifully. I mind the goingfor the kill in ac4 edward goes in slow mo but the rest of the world doesnt...youre about to stick your sword in this a holes back (It takes 10 seconds it feels like to get your sword to his flesh) 10.....5 - 4- 3- 2 - and then pow youre hit in the back yourself or ( ! ) you have to reverse.
I wouldn't mind this if say only 3 guards were every attacking you at once, but you literally have to take on 20 at a time sometimes and execution should be delivered at the drop of a hat.
Also on the ships edward constantly changes target so you beat a guy up to where hes ready to get the finishing blow then edward all of a sudden locks onto a guy 5 feet away instead of finishing off your first target and then that target regains health because your crew is too dumb to finish him off for you.

TorQue1988
12-09-2013, 07:07 PM
I agree with everything you said. The combat is boring, slow, repetitive, unresponsive and lacks variation in both animations and weapons.
I know i'm in the minority here, but my favorite combat system was in Brotherhood. The sheer number of kill animations and weapons was awesome. Also the kill streak was very fluid and visually rewarding, despite being too damn easy.
They should try to make the combat like in the Arkham games, but more realistic.

Bashilir
12-09-2013, 08:49 PM
I typically try to do the pistol double kill moves as much I can on the boardings. Also, don't know if anyone experiences this but, when I board ships with shooters, I go to the lift and literally right when I get up there unable to attack still, THE GUY ATTACKS ME AND MAKES ME FALL OFF WITH ONE SQUARE OF HEALTH AND I GET KILLED BY SOMEONE WHILE I'M COUNTERING SOME RANDOM DUDE. I was probably throwing my shoes around for at least five minutes. Not only had I spent ten minutes beating the shiznip out of the ship to board it, but the fact that one random shooter ended it, makes me mad.

Sushiglutton
12-09-2013, 08:59 PM
I'm worried how much fans focus on variation in terms of weapons and animations. To me that kind of variety is shallow and not super interesting (flash over substance). Real variations comes from a greater number of moves which can be chained together in various ways for different strategic purposes. That's key to an entertaining combat system for me. People bring up the dual counters from AC3 and the weapon variation in AC:B, but that's the completely wrong direction to go imo.

STDlyMcStudpants
12-09-2013, 09:02 PM
I typically try to do the pistol double kill moves as much I can on the boardings. Also, don't know if anyone experiences this but, when I board ships with shooters, I go to the lift and literally right when I get up there unable to attack still, THE GUY ATTACKS ME AND MAKES ME FALL OFF WITH ONE SQUARE OF HEALTH AND I GET KILLED BY SOMEONE WHILE I'M COUNTERING SOME RANDOM DUDE. I was probably throwing my shoes around for at least five minutes. Not only had I spent ten minutes beating the shiznip out of the ship to board it, but the fact that one random shooter ended it, makes me mad.

scouts are as*holes I wait untl they are reloaded to attacck but yes..not only are they quick, but they can hit you through the beem on the ship and shoot through walls.
Plus they always blow your cover in stealth - f them haha

STDlyMcStudpants
12-09-2013, 09:03 PM
I'm worried how much fans focus on variation in terms of weapons and animations. To me that kind of variety is shallow and not super interesting (flash over substance). Real variations comes from a greater number of moves which can be chained together in various ways for different strategic purposes. That's key to an entertaining combat system for me. People bring up the dual counters from AC3 and the weapon variation in AC:B, but that's the completely wrong direction to go imo.

I play assassins creed to have fun not to stress....having flashy moves and variation IS the way to go..I want to enjoy combat, not be frustrated by it.
I loved the combat in ACR the most in terms of opening opportunities for chain kills.

Shahkulu101
12-09-2013, 09:04 PM
I play assassins creed to have fun not be challenged....having flashy moves and variation IS the way to go..I want to enjoy combat, not be frustrated by it.

Faith in humanity lost.

STDlyMcStudpants
12-09-2013, 09:07 PM
Faith in humanity lost.

Stress isn't good for the human body.

Sushiglutton
12-09-2013, 09:07 PM
I play assassins creed to have fun not to stress....having flashy moves and variation IS the way to go..I want to enjoy combat, not be frustrated by it.

Greater variety doesn't mean harder/more frustrating. It would make it more meaningful to implement different difficulty settings though.

Shahkulu101
12-09-2013, 09:10 PM
Stress isn't good for the human body.

Challenge = fun

Only stress if you are weak willed.

MnemonicSyntax
12-09-2013, 09:13 PM
Challenge does not always equal fun. It CAN equal fun, but then again people's opinions of a challenge are different.

Sushiglutton
12-09-2013, 09:18 PM
Challenge does not always equal fun. It CAN equal fun, but then again people's opinions of a challenge are different.

Exactly, which is why most games have different difficulty settings...

MnemonicSyntax
12-09-2013, 09:21 PM
For example, I'm not keen on the idea of forced navigation and stealth because combat becomes so difficult, I can't take out more than four guards at once. That's not fun. I don't want to go run and hide if I'm getting my hood handed to me by just four guys. If it's ten or twenty, then sure. But I shouldn't be forced to run because I shouldn't be able to "fight more than four guys."

Sushiglutton
12-09-2013, 09:35 PM
For example, I'm not keen on the idea of forced navigation and stealth because combat becomes so difficult, I can't take out more than four guards at once. That's not fun. I don't want to go run and hide if I'm getting my hood handed to me by just four guys. If it's ten or twenty, then sure. But I shouldn't be forced to run because I shouldn't be able to "fight more than four guys."

Agree completely. I think there are just a couple of hardcore fundamentalists who think a cap at four enemies would be fun/make sense. Bring on the slaughter imo. Then there can be mionr rewards (like in AC4) for choosing a stealthy approach. That said, I'd prefer if the slaughtering was more difficult on the whole.

STDlyMcStudpants
12-09-2013, 10:05 PM
Challenge = fun

A challenge is stress no matter which way you bend it.
(I challenge myself in REAL LIFE, I game to unwind)
I used to look forward to AC as a break from the stresses of the world, I can't do that anymore.
AC 4 is extremely stressful compared to the others....
I used to pick fights on purpose in past games, now I try my hardest to stay out of them.
It just isnt fun in AC IV...it's stressful and uninteresting.
I hate that they listened to the stealth cry babies.

SixKeys
12-09-2013, 10:35 PM
If you want a game with no challenge and no stress, why don't you play something like Journey instead? Great game, no stress whatsoever.

MnemonicSyntax
12-09-2013, 10:40 PM
If you want a game with no challenge and no stress, why don't you play something like Journey instead? Great game, no stress whatsoever.

Because in Journey, you can kill loads of people!

Shahkulu101
12-09-2013, 10:41 PM
A challenge is stress no matter which way you bend it.
(I challenge myself in REAL LIFE, I game to unwind)
I used to look forward to AC as a break from the stresses of the world, I can't do that anymore.
AC 4 is extremely stressful compared to the others....
I used to pick fights on purpose in past games, now I try my hardest to stay out of them.
It just isnt fun in AC IV...it's stressful and uninteresting.
I hate that they listened to the stealth cry babies.

The combat is not remotely difficult. I don't understand how you didn't think this was a problem in AC3, considering there is only a minimal difference between the two combat systems. Grow a pair for Christs sake.

ACfan443
12-09-2013, 10:53 PM
I used to pick fights on purpose in past games, now I try my hardest to stay out of them. .

Good.
Let's hope it stays that way with future combat iterations.

SixKeys
12-09-2013, 11:05 PM
Because in Journey, you can kill loads of people!

Okay then, a game where you can kill loads of people with no challenge whatsoever. Hmmm..... Let me know if you think of a good one.

ACfan443
12-09-2013, 11:12 PM
Okay then, a game where you can kill loads of people with no challenge whatsoever. Hmmm..... Let me know if you think of a good one.

Ryse:Son of Rome
A combat system so sophisticated, you don't even have to lift a finger. Literally.
Meets the aforementioned requirements perfectly.

luckyto
12-09-2013, 11:18 PM
I like combat systems that allow for the killing of loads of people with brainless button-mashing and perhaps some luck, but doing it will style and skill takes mastery and is challenging. God of War, Batman Arkham and AC1 all fit that bill. You can mash the button and survive... barely. Or you can master the system after much practice and make killing a hundred guys look effortless and amazing.

Too challenging becomes frustrating. Too easy becomes boring. The only systems that work are the ones that easy to play but difficult to master.

Black Flag's just sucks. Not because it's hard. But because it's just annoying and glitchy.

AssassinHMS
12-09-2013, 11:36 PM
Challenge = fun

This!!!!

Seriously, STDlyMcStudpants what he is saying is true. Play an Assassin's Creed where both combat and stealth are deep and challenging and you will see. Unfortunately, there is no such AC game so, if you want to find out how much fun, thrilling and exciting such an experience is, you will have to hope for Ubisoft to come to their senses.

luckyto
12-10-2013, 12:00 AM
The strict stealth missions in AC's franchise history are the worst of the worst. I hate those things. It's much better if you have a little wiggle room. And while I agree that ACB's combat was so easy that it ruined the game, combat too difficult is frustrating ... and boredom beats frustration. Challenging does not mean fun. Often times, challenging just means meticulous and unnecessarily difficult and frustrating.

STDlyMcStudpants
12-10-2013, 12:04 AM
The combat is not remotely difficult. I don't understand how you didn't think this was a problem in AC3, considering there is only a minimal difference between the two combat systems. Grow a pair for Christs sake.

I didn't say it was difficult EVER.
There's a difference between stressful and difficult.
You can't just pick a fight with 1 or 2 guards ...if you assassinate anyone and a guard is within a 10 mile radius when you do this or a scout just SEEES you a whole damn army comes after you.
Open up your mind "for Christs sake".
Wanting to avoid combat in a game about combat is a MASSIVE red flag that something is wrong.
If you develop a game and all you care about is forcing a play style then your game is **** with no substance.
AC IV FORCES stealth the whole way even when you free roam.

I felt like I was playing Hitman more than I was playing Assassin's Creed

SixKeys
12-10-2013, 12:12 AM
AC IV FORCES stealth the whole way even when you free roam.

Are you trolling now? You can raid plantations, attack ships, destroy forts and do assassination/naval contracts ALL without using stealth in freeroam.

STDlyMcStudpants
12-10-2013, 12:19 AM
Are you trolling now? You can raid plantations, attack ships, destroy forts and do assassination/naval contracts ALL without using stealth in freeroam.

Are you trolling...what do you have to do to raid the plantations?
What do you have to do to get to the forts?
What kind of bonus do they give you in the assassination contracts?

Oh thats right.. STEALTH

The whole game is "Stealth or fight 20 people at the same time because killing one attracts the other 19 instantly"

SixKeys
12-10-2013, 12:25 AM

Oh thats right.. STEALTH

The whole game is "Stealth or fight 20 people at the same time because killing one attracts the other 19 instantly"

Getting a bonus for completing an assassination contract stealthily is not the same as forcing. Forcing stealth would be instant desynchronization if you're detected. None of the missions I listed have that. Forts can't even be taken down stealthily (you bombard them from the front, FFS), so I don't know what game you've been playing.

Just because you suck at combat doesn't mean the game is actively forcing you into a stealthy approach.

SixKeys
12-10-2013, 12:29 AM
Here, let me help you:

How to Raid Plantations Without Stealth:

Step 1: Bring four pistols and 20 bullets.
Step 2. Shoot every mofo in sight.
Step 3: Reload.
Step 4: Shoot more people. Repeat steps 3 and 4 until bullets run out.
Step 5: Switch to sleep darts (max. 15). Dart every mofo in sight.
Step 6: ???
Step 7: Profit!

AssassinHMS
12-10-2013, 12:32 AM
Jesus. I would understand this reaction if AC was actually challenging but it isn’t.

What’s wrong with people? We’re not demanding the extreme. Everyone knows since they’re 5 years old that anything in exaggeration is bad so stop using that argument. AC’s core mechanics need challenge in order to become better and thrilling/exciting.
People who don’t want challenge, who want this AC, are the actual extremists. They don’t want challenge because they want to feel badass which would be fine if it didn’t have such nasty repercussions. Stealth is pointless, POINTLESS. Escape is pointless as well. Combat is a joke, a JOKE. It isn’t even combat. Do you call squashing ants, combat??
We need a balance, combat mustn’t get in the way of stealth and escape and it mustn’t replace them. People who don’t want combat to be any harder are the ones who cripple the other core mechanics. They are the extremists. I want the middle term. I don’t want impossible combat, but there needs to be drawn a line, there needs to be a moment where escape and stealth kick in and not because the game tells you will desynchronize if you aren’t stealthy, but because it is the only way. To avoid being forced to use stealth, players who want to kill everyone must do so strategically by splitting enemies into smaller groups that can be more easily handled.

The lack of challenge is ruining this franchise for a lot of people and, most importantly, it is ruining the actual core of the franchise.
How so?
Well take AI for an example. AC4’s enemy AI is dumb. Why? So that stealth is at the same level as combat. If enemy AI became better (more challenging), then stealth would require more thought, more planning. So far so good, but what if combat remained the same? What is the point in using a method that requires thought and skill, if we can kill everyone and be gone with it? There isn’t and stealth becomes obsolete.

And it isn’t a simple problem of purpose. It’s a problem of immersion, of fun, of thrill.
Stealth, combat and escape can only be thrilling, exciting and fun if there is a sense of danger, if combat is challenging. This is common sense.

If you want to relax all the time then play other games, read a book, etc. Assassin’s Creed doesn’t deserve to suffer for people who are bored and just want to do something. Assassin’s Creed is brilliant and as such it should be made for those who want experience it to the full and not simply as a ball to be thrown at the wall when bored.
When I want to relax or have some mindless fun, I read a book or go play football but I’m not selfish to the point of demanding AC to change to suit my lesser needs.

MnemonicSyntax
12-10-2013, 12:38 AM
You haven't even played 4. The combat has been increased. No longer can you just chain kill every person you meet, and you have to think about the pattern (note, the pattern is what I have a problem with, once it's learned, it's not that difficult) yet I find myself running away more in 4 to regain health than any other game in the series.

Watching YouTube videos doesn't count either. Sorry. Until you play it, your opinion on anything AC4 is pretty much pointless.

Lastly, as ACfan stated below, you get options. Yours aren't options. They're forced. I don't want to go navigate and stealth because I'm forced to. I shouldn't have to escape when a certain limit is reached, unless it's health related. If I can continue to fight, let me.

And the few of you that think like you do, are the few. Reviewers, gamers, YouTubers, and the majority are fairly okay with the idea of what it is now. Yes, it needs changing, somewhat. But to the point where it's forced?

That will kill the franchise.

Something that is challenging to you may be impossible or improbable for someone else. You're the minority. I've said this since day one.

ACfan443
12-10-2013, 12:38 AM

Oh thats right.. STEALTH

That's exactly what AC3 did with its dumb, broken AI, but you seem to class it as the holy grail of gaming.

Stealth is optional in all the cases you mentioned. Should you choose to, going on a killing spree through a plantation is an option completely open to you. To get to a fort you blow it up, once you're inside the fort you're essentially a victim of inevitable detection - combat's actually promoted, I don't see how that example has any relevance to stealth.

It's refreshing that they mixed it up and facilitated stealth opportunities for those who like a bit of sneaking, and once again it's totally optional. Stop complaining for heaven's sake.

MIA SILENT
12-10-2013, 12:56 AM

This is dumb. Obviously if you kill a guard in front of others they're going to come at you. And you'll only get a few more guards than usual come at you if one rings the bell, and even then they attack in small groups. After reading your posts, sounds to me like you just suck at the game (something I thought impossible).

UKassassinsfan
12-10-2013, 01:08 AM
I just think the games overall are getting too easy, the only thing I personally struggled on was the legendary ships but even they weren't too bad, it seems like the game is becoming too generic and easy whilst not rewarding players with years of experience in the franchise, I should feel as a player whose played all the titles since launch should be better than someone who has just joined ACBF because they like pirates,

MackinsVII.
12-10-2013, 01:45 AM
Well after getting 100% in Single Player today on my PS4, I went back to AC3 on my PS3 to unlock the Altair costume as I changed my PSN name for the PS4 as I had problems with my PS2/PS3 name on some games last gen, so I thought fresh console, fresh start, anyway back to the point...

I didn't realise the combat in AC4 was so bad until I went back to AC3, the fluidity, the clipping and sheer brutality on AC3 is way better!

I've had problems with a lot of the AC4 gameplay, it's far from a solid experience, counters not working, certain triggers in missions not triggering and the infuriating parkour glitches where he jumps in the wrong direction, won't climb things that are climbable, can't get up a foot high step, won't slide under a low tree and so on and so forth.

The only part of the game that is well polished, and seems to have bugs to the minimum is the sailing part of the game, the boarding does get very tedious though and as some one else mentioned, climbing up to the crows nest and getting whacked off by a scout is just rage inducing, especially as you know it's coming and the countering on that part seems to be less than 50% reliable.

Overall I enjoyed it and it is a worthy entry to the franchise but is also not as good as AC3, which is my favourite in the entire franchise. I know I'm in the vast minority in that respect though.

Bring back Connor!

STDlyMcStudpants
12-10-2013, 04:34 AM
This is dumb. Obviously if you kill a guard in front of others they're going to come at you. And you'll only get a few more guards than usual come at you if one rings the bell, and even then they attack in small groups. After reading your posts, sounds to me like you just suck at the game (something I thought impossible).

Sure, but send the whole damn British army after me?
AC IV FORCES you to walk on egg shells and if you don't you're punished by having to suffer with the poor combat and enemies that need to be stabbed 50 times before they die...
We are playing 2 completely different games if "small groups" are all that you get
LOOK AT THIS SH*T!!! All I did was sneeze

http://i41.tinypic.com/2nqw4t5.jpg

At least in AC3 you can bloody air assassinate targets that have already detected you instead of throwing you off of them like you're a rag doll and not a 180 pound man with swords in both of your hands!

STDlyMcStudpants
12-10-2013, 04:47 AM
The game is flawed...from its combat to it's mission design.
This is the first AC game EVER that I don't enjoy to fight.
If given the option I'm a brute in any game I play. I like charging in and owning sh*t.
The combat isn't swift or satisfying enough for you to fight your way through without frustration.
And IMO that isn't a good thing...
Most of you are acting like this is your child - a perfect angel.
You are blind if you think the direction AC IV went with the series is good in any way.

A true OPTION means no "Dont enter combat" as an "optional" objective but its 100% NOT optional if you want to 100% sync and it means choosing between stealth and brute.
AC IV does NOT offer the brute option.
It makes you feel like if you dont sneak you're doing it wrong.
No game should feel like that.

pirate1802
12-10-2013, 06:29 AM
I'm not sure we played the same game? Combat was a little harder sure (a welcome change) but it was definitely not hard enough to hide in fear everywhere I go? lmao

I like charging in and owning sh*t.
The combat isn't swift or satisfying enough for you to fight your way through without frustration. .

Thats the problem right there. I suggest Assassins Creed Brotherhood. Best combat in AC history!

PS: That prison-break mission.. lets put things in context. You are a prisoner, at a disadvantage, inside a well-guarded prison. You're seriously complaining that enemies surround you when they see you? dafuq And you know, you could still fight your way out of it, that screenshot you posted.. I could do it, the only reason I full stealthed it was out of a sense of satisfaction, not because fighting was too hard o anything.

shobhit7777777
12-10-2013, 08:57 AM
I'm not sure we played the same game? Combat was a little harder sure (a welcome change) but it was definitely not hard enough to hide in fear everywhere I go? lmao

Exactly

While I certainly agree with everyone who feels the combat is as boring as turtle sex....but complaints that combat is harder? Hell. No. In fact the ability to just steamroll through everyone only enhances the boredom.

In the Ezio trilogy, I didn't mind the easy combat because it was fun to do - the super fast combos, killstreaks and the way you could mix and match all them gadgets & weapons. It was like Batman: AA in that regard.

Thats the problem right there. I suggest Assassins Creed Brotherhood. Best combat in AC history!

Agreed.

mikeyf1999
12-10-2013, 12:08 PM
I'd appreciate it if you don't freaking inuslt people who liked the direction ACBF took the series I honestly liked it and I played it since day 1 does that mean I'm blind
Sheesh............

pirate1802
12-10-2013, 12:51 PM
I never EVER had an instance of the scout whacking me off the crow's nest..

MIA SILENT
12-10-2013, 02:11 PM
Sure, but send the whole damn British army after me?
AC IV FORCES you to walk on egg shells and if you don't you're punished by having to suffer with the poor combat and enemies that need to be stabbed 50 times before they die...
We are playing 2 completely different games if "small groups" are all that you get
LOOK AT THIS SH*T!!! All I did was sneeze

At least in AC3 you can bloody air assassinate targets that have already detected you instead of throwing you off of them like you're a rag doll and not a 180 pound man with swords in both of your hands!

Sounds like we had totally different experiences from the game. I find it VERY easy to avoid detection in AC4. I think Ubisoft made it this way because the complaints about AC3's AI being telepathic. The combat is so damn easy that I think 1000 guards could come at me and I'd kill them all without dying. But, I do agree that the combat in this game is very sluggish, overly-simple and a bit boring.

And if I recall correctly, in AC3 you couldn't air assassinate guards that detected you. Pretty sure about that.

JustQuent
12-10-2013, 02:59 PM
I have to agree It seems like they couldn't be bothered to make Edward fight as well as previous assassins I was really looking farward to some good double kill animations an the like wth him being such a badass but most of his moves were borin in gameplay ...and a bit arkward on the packed ships.

SixKeys
12-10-2013, 04:01 PM
PS: That prison-break mission.. lets put things in context. You are a prisoner, at a disadvantage, inside a well-guarded prison. You're seriously complaining that enemies surround you when they see you? dafuq And you know, you could still fight your way out of it, that screenshot you posted.. I could do it, the only reason I full stealthed it was out of a sense of satisfaction, not because fighting was too hard o anything.

But, but, it would be much less stressful if they just gave Edward some flowers and tea instead! :(

luckyto
12-10-2013, 04:42 PM
I really have no problem with the stealth in ACIV. It's perfect. It's optional. Breaking it has consequences, but consequences that can be dealt with. You could even tighten it down a little more --- not much --- but a little more. I think they should make it so you can't be spotted at all in restricted zones without attracting at least 2 guards or more. It's almost too forgiving in that I can be seen, and duck into a brush, and then exploit an easy hidden kill to get out of my mistake. Up the rewards for stealth, but make it so that if you get seen, you are far more likely to get caught.

And to whoever said it was a good mix, spot on. It's really the best mix in the entire series. The best.

I didn't realise the combat in AC4 was so bad until I went back to AC3, the fluidity, the clipping and sheer brutality on AC3 is way better!

I've had problems with a lot of the AC4 gameplay, it's far from a solid experience, counters not working, certain triggers in missions not triggering and the infuriating parkour glitches where he jumps in the wrong direction, won't climb things that are climbable, can't get up a foot high step, won't slide under a low tree and so on and so forth.

!

That's my problem with combat. It's not difficult. Not at all. It's still easy. But the method in which it is challenging, is simply because it is glitchy, slow, inconsistent and annoying. Combat quarters are often too tight, leading to people bumping into each other or the lock system not working properly. The animations are slow, and worse, guards attack you in mid-animation --- often putting you in a situation where the player can do nothing because the game is busy animating you elsewhere. You hop up on boxes or edges or all kinds of bizarre parkour glitches occur which make it even more aggravating.

ACIV isn't challenging because it's the fun type of challenge, it's challenging just to deal with the annoying quirks that the player has no control over. It's not fun.

I absolutely despise Brotherhood's combat because it is way way way way way too easy. But it is a million times more fun than ACIV's combat. AC3 had a fun fluid combat system that was just slightly too easy -- I just don't know why they screwed it up. All they needed to do was tighten the counter windows and damage to create a progression system - done. AC1's combat was great too. But here we are in Black Flag was a super-simplified version that is both too easy and frustrating.

Dev_Anj
12-10-2013, 06:04 PM
Exactly

In the Ezio trilogy, I didn't mind the easy combat because it was fun to do - the super fast combos, killstreaks and the way you could mix and match all them gadgets & weapons. It was like Batman: AA in that regard.

Wait what? Super fast combos? Of what weapons? Sure, the killstreaks were well animated, and it was good to use a sword and pistol together, but I don't remember being able to pull off many combos, aside from kicking an enemy repeatedly and then slashing them while they were on the ground. Revelations did encourage weapon and secondary weapon combos to a certain extent, but most of the secondary weapons were too slow to be used effectively in a fight.

STDlyMcStudpants
12-10-2013, 07:00 PM

#1 it is like this in every mission...every damn bush and rock in the game is "well guarded"
I did do it..I fought my way out of it by making them follow me up the roof.
Again I am not saying the combat is HARD im saying its frustrating. Your finishing blows are constantly interrupted because they take so long to execute making a group of enemies that would take 60 sec to finish off in any other AC game take 5 min to finish off here because you have to constantly reverse and change target while the enemy you were about to kill instantly regains all of his health.

You all have a misconception of what hard is.
This is the 2nd easiest combat system in AC history...breaking defense or hold a button to counter. All that is added was a damage sponge and unresponsiveness. THAT isnt hard THAT is frustration.
Running Assassinations n the spot cant be done because by time Edward pulls his swords out the guard sees you.

It should be counter/break defense - kill
Not counter - slash - slash - slash - slash - slash - go for the kill - (!) - reverse - slash - slash - (!) - reverse - (!) - reverse - slash - slash - go for the finishing blow - get stabbed - throw a bomb because youre tired of this sh*t

And dare try and insult my skill level because I want a FUN time with swift combat instead of tedious button mashing.

STDlyMcStudpants
12-10-2013, 09:16 PM
I'm not saying fighting isn't doable - I'm saying they are stripping away that option by making it tedious and unenjoyable - an obvious punishment for not choosing stealth.

luckyto
12-10-2013, 10:19 PM
Tedious and unenjoyable is a good description.

SixKeys
12-10-2013, 11:09 PM
You all have a misconception of what hard is.

Yes, clearly you are the only enlightened one in this thread and everyone else just doesn't understand the definition of "hard". Guide us, oh Wise One! :rolleyes:

Running Assassinations n the spot cant be done because by time Edward pulls his swords out the guard sees you.

See, this is the kind of stuff that makes it hard for me to take your first point seriously. Because I am able to pull off running assassinations all the time, and all the other moves that you claim "can't be done" in this game. You keep saying you don't think it's hard while complaining that it's impossible to do these things that other people manage to do without a problem all the time.

If you think the combat is too difficult, it's okay to say so. Pretending like you're good at it while making statements that prove you're clearly not just eats away at your credibility.

STDlyMcStudpants
12-11-2013, 12:43 AM
Yes, clearly you are the only enlightened one in this thread and everyone else just doesn't understand the definition of "hard". Guide us, oh Wise One! :rolleyes:

See, this is the kind of stuff that makes it hard for me to take your first point seriously. Because I am able to pull off running assassinations all the time, and all the other moves that you claim "can't be done" in this game. You keep saying you don't think it's hard while complaining that it's impossible to do these things that other people manage to do without a problem all the time.

If you think the combat is too difficult, it's okay to say so. Pretending like you're good at it while making statements that prove you're clearly not just eats away at your credibility.

Maybe because you have the hidden blade already chosen, but by default edward reaches for his sword so you run and press square and its an awkward oops my weapons arent ready....
You can do running assassinations but you shouldnt have to prep for them
The combat isn't "difficult" at all - its boring and tedious.
It last 3 times longer than it should

EzioAssassin51
12-11-2013, 01:26 AM
Fanbase: Oh the combat is too easy, can they make it harder?
Ubisoft: I know, let's make it harder by having enemies interrupt attacks, have less double-attacks so you can't slay through a group as easily, and let's make it take longer to kill someone by having the player need to hit them more.
Fanbase: This new system is too tedious, too difficult (it seems for some) and we dislike it. Make it easy again like Brotherhood.

Also, you can still do the whole 'kill form behind' but now it's a slashing thing, rather than the stab!
Seriously, does no one notice that these changes to the combat you find so 'tedious' are in fact making it more difficult, and it's just unusual in an AC game? The camera zooming in a bit more so you have to look around to find your enemies. The longer killstreaks so you can't continue chains as easily, since they get interrupted or guards move away.
In saying that, of course the combat is still easily, and incredibly fun, with, in my opinion, awesome killstreaks, nearly entirely unique to Edward, except for like 3 sword animations, which, IMO, still work well!

People are just so willing to find something to complain about, they do so about a perfectly great system.

STDlyMcStudpants
12-11-2013, 01:30 AM
Fanbase: Oh the combat is too easy, can they make it harder?
Ubisoft: I know, let's make it harder by having enemies interrupt attacks, have less double-attacks so you can't slay through a group as easily, and let's make it take longer to kill someone by having the player need to hit them more.
Fanbase: This new system is too tedious, too difficult (it seems for some) and we dislike it. Make it easy again like Brotherhood.

Also, you can still do the whole 'kill form behind' but now it's a slashing thing, rather than the stab!
Seriously, does no one notice that these changes to the combat you find so 'tedious' are in fact making it more difficult, and it's just unusual in an AC game? The camera zooming in a bit more so you have to look around to find your enemies. The longer killstreaks so you can't continue chains as easily, since they get interrupted or guards move away.
In saying that, of course the combat is still easily, and incredibly fun, with, in my opinion, awesome killstreaks, nearly entirely unique to Edward, except for like 3 sword animations, which, IMO, still work well!

People are just so willing to find something to complain about, they do so about a perfectly great system.

Noone is saying make it easy.
ACR and AC3 are the hardest systems and they were perfect.
I wish they would stop fixing what isnt broken.
But congrats to them on officially breaking combat.

MnemonicSyntax
12-11-2013, 01:33 AM
Actually, you can still double kill. It's almost like a double counter, but instead of countering, you hold down the "tool" button after a successful single counter kill. Edward will run to the nearest enemy and do an animation where he'll kill two people at once, even if it's not a counter. You can do this with groups of pretty much anyone, but as you said, they can also be interrupted.

This not only works for pistols, but so far, it works for rope darts too. I was able to use hidden blades and the pistol at the same time.

It's actually pretty awesome. I know Connor and Ezio could both do this, but it wasn't as easy as before.

Still though, the combat has improved greatly and I'm pretty happy with it.

MIA SILENT
12-11-2013, 01:38 AM
Man, the last thing AC needs is people calling ACR and AC3's combat "perfect". AC3's is my favourite - but ALL of them are too easy and one dimensional.

This is why if Ubisoft wanted to tweak combat to make it harder they'd need difficulty modes so not to upset the extremely casual players.

Dev_Anj
12-11-2013, 01:54 AM
Tedious and unenjoyable is a good description.

For me, this applied to every Assassin's Creed's game's combat. Assassin's Creed 1 had some potential for strategic fights, but the poor A.I and the clunky controls in combat ruined it. Assassin's Creed 2 made the combat more button mashing oriented, and only changed up the combat by making you use different types of counters on different enemies, which wasn't really much of a change and got a bit annoying. Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood gave a defense break in the form of a kick, which would be fine on its own, but the kick was ridiculously swift and so could be spammed to throw down even very well armored enemies. The killstreaks had potential to reward good players, and it did make the fights go quicker, but it generally made the combat easier, not to mention there was very little you could do to ward off enemies attacking you if you were in the middle of a killstreak.

Assassin's Creed: Revelations had more or less the same system from Brotherhood, but now every enemy except the spearmen became vulnerable to counters. The Janissaries were supposed to be challenging, but all you need to kill one of them is to counter their attack three times, which got more frustrating and repetitve than anything else. The new system theoretically allowed for several combos, but most of the secondary weapons were too slow to use in frontal combat.

I don't know about Assassin's Creed 3 since I haven't played it. But from what I've seen in Assassin's Creed 4 and Assassin's Creed 3, now there is atleast some depth to the combat, instead of just countering everyone and using overpowered guard breaks. I hope the combat improves further and actually becomes enjoyable with some depth.

EzioAssassin51
12-11-2013, 02:03 AM
Noone is saying make it easy.
ACR and AC3 are the hardest systems and they were perfect.
I wish they would stop fixing what isnt broken.
But congrats to them on officially breaking combat.

Well you seem to be saying to make it easier because it's too difficult for you...
I agree that ACR was the hardest, but AC3 was still pretty easy, easier than ACR IMO, but AC4 improved from AC3, again IMO.
Isn't broken? People have complained about the combat non-stop since AC1, it's impossible for them to get it right apparently.
I don't get how they've broken combat... All they've done is made it slightly more difficult, with enemies interrupting attacks and making people harder to kill, and having more guards come at you when detected SOMETIMES. If a bell goes off, damn straight a **** ton of guards should come.
What's broken about making it more difficult?

EDIT: And IMO, the guard archetypes are harder in this one, with the brutes being harder to kill. I like having to hit them more because again, it adds strategy and difficulty to the combat, since you need to watch out for other guards who are going to come in and hit you while you're killing the other guy.

And for people who complain it's toooooo easy, I will say what I've always said! It makes sense for it to be easy to slay through people as a pirate and an assassin. As an assassin, you'd want to kill them ASAP, so you can get back to being hidden, or get to you target as he's escaping. If you're sitting there for half an hour trying to kill people you're doing a **** job as a trained killer. As a pirate it's the same thing. Pirates are trained killers, able to outsmart their enemies using scummy tactics, such as kicking, or 'stunning' them, as in the game. As a pirate, you'd want to clear the deck ASAP, so as to plunder the ship, get the cargo and get out of there before
a) it sinks
b) half of your crew dies
c) YOU die
d) more ships come that can overwhelm you.

You guys just complain about nothing. Think about it and it will make sense!!!!!!!!

MnemonicSyntax
12-11-2013, 03:47 AM
Actually, you can still double kill. It's almost like a double counter, but instead of countering, you hold down the "tool" button after a successful single counter kill. Edward will run to the nearest enemy and do an animation where he'll kill two people at once, even if it's not a counter. You can do this with groups of pretty much anyone, but as you said, they can also be interrupted.

This not only works for pistols, but so far, it works for rope darts too. I was able to use hidden blades and the pistol at the same time.

It's actually pretty awesome. I know Connor and Ezio could both do this, but it wasn't as easy as before.

Still though, the combat has improved greatly and I'm pretty happy with it.

I made this video to show what I was referring to.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TiepNyZQFQs.

Fatal-Feit
12-11-2013, 06:07 AM
Well you seem to be saying to make it easier because it's too difficult for you...
I agree that ACR was the hardest, but AC3 was still pretty easy, easier than ACR IMO, but AC4 improved from AC3, again IMO.
Isn't broken? People have complained about the combat non-stop since AC1, it's impossible for them to get it right apparently.
I don't get how they've broken combat... All they've done is made it slightly more difficult, with enemies interrupting attacks and making people harder to kill, and having more guards come at you when detected SOMETIMES. If a bell goes off, damn straight a **** ton of guards should come.
What's broken about making it more difficult?

EDIT: And IMO, the guard archetypes are harder in this one, with the brutes being harder to kill. I like having to hit them more because again, it adds strategy and difficulty to the combat, since you need to watch out for other guards who are going to come in and hit you while you're killing the other guy.

And for people who complain it's toooooo easy, I will say what I've always said! It makes sense for it to be easy to slay through people as a pirate and an assassin. As an assassin, you'd want to kill them ASAP, so you can get back to being hidden, or get to you target as he's escaping. If you're sitting there for half an hour trying to kill people you're doing a **** job as a trained killer. As a pirate it's the same thing. Pirates are trained killers, able to outsmart their enemies using scummy tactics, such as kicking, or 'stunning' them, as in the game. As a pirate, you'd want to clear the deck ASAP, so as to plunder the ship, get the cargo and get out of there before
a) it sinks
b) half of your crew dies
c) YOU die
d) more ships come that can overwhelm you.

You guys just complain about nothing. Think about it and it will make sense!!!!!!!!

AC:IV's combat was no more difficult than Brotherhood's, let alone AC3 or ACR. You can take down 3 brutes in less than 10 seconds by simply pulling out 4 pistols and a swing, or rinse and repeat the break counter and back-swing combo. Hell, you can instantly kill anyone by running behind them and taking a swing during conflict because Edward's swords are magnetically aimed towards their necks 100% of the time. They've even given you a handicap with the officers by having Edward give them a nut-kick after a counter without pressing anything. Using guards to defend against bullets are also a joke since 1 bullet is not going to make a difference. The game endlessly telegraphs bullets and bombs 5 seconds before it happens, while also leaving huge red bars in your screen to keep you reminded. Speaking of bombs, it's now only available for the brutes. And speaking of brutes, there are little to no brutes and officers anymore. AC3 had you pinned against 5-6 brutes and officers most of the time. And they were much more difficult because breaking their guard isn't always available, nor was attacking. There is little to no strategizing for AC:IV compared to AC3 or ACR.

I could go on but I won't because I have almost no problem with AC:IV's difficulty. I actually like it. It's easy and simple, aside from the fact that Edward keeps kicking the officers when I DON'T WANT HIM TO.

The problem IMO, is that it's clunky, messy, glitchy, and frustrating at times. I've lost count of all the swings that made no sound or hadn't hit the target when it clearly animated it. And purchasing new weapons or guns are almost meaningless. The developers could of made better use by having players find and discover new swords or pistols through chests and puzzles than already buying the best ones by the time they leave Havana.

But problems aside, I really do like the simplicity and flow of the combat. It's sort of like Zelda in a way. You don't have to worry too much about upgrades and weapons but just get right into the adventure. And regardless of what everyone else says, I still end up using stealth despite being a killing machine. It's not like it made it any less fun,

pirate1802
12-11-2013, 06:09 AM
Damn, finding weapons through chests would have been so much better 0_o

stoffangadd
01-08-2014, 01:10 PM
Well Connor was double as big as Edward (and I mean muscle) so he was more brutal in battle, but much slower at running!

EchoFiveKilo
01-08-2014, 01:14 PM
AC3s combat was the best out of the series no doubt, I honestly do not understand how they managed to ruin the fluid animation and the fun factor of AC3s combat in AC4. In AC3 getting into a big fight with lots of Jaegers and another enemies was fun, the combat was detailed, with perfectly motion captured moves and all. If they cant improve upon the combat, then just bring back AC3s combat in every way.

dxsxhxcx
01-08-2014, 01:37 PM
people tend to forget that this is a game and some things need to be a little unrealistic in order to make the experience enjoyable, combat IMO is one of these things, it doesn't matter if the character we control is known as a god in combat in the story, combat needs to be BALANCED (not hard as hell, not easy as hell, just balanced) on both sides (something that AC's combat is FAR from being), want an explanation for the combat being a little harder in the game? Synchronization, the more you play and train in the animus, more synched to the character you become (which means you'll have a better control of the ancestor as you practice). Voilą! Here's your explanation...

ziljn
01-08-2014, 02:51 PM
All this talk about difficulty of combat in AC. Yeah, It's not that hard and never was. If you want really challenging combat you're playing the wrong game.

Most combat changes Ubi makes aren't for difficulty but for variety and flow. AC4 was a step back in this regard, and it's glitchy as hell.

When you defense break a brute and have him turned around for the killing blow but Edward decides to attack someone behind him instead, that's not a feature, that's a glitch. The camera didn't always keep up with the flow of combat and melee attacks from off-screen weren't uncommon. Sometimes Edward would enter combat but wouldn't draw his swords even though they were selected. The flow of combat was jerky... it didn't flow well like AC3 did. In AC3 you could get interrupted delivering the killing blow but you could react and keep the combat flowing. In AC4 you may or may not react to the attack (even though you saw it coming and tried to). Also, several times I'd have a target highlighted for an air assassination and instead of actually jumping that person Edward would attack the nearest person under him instead.

The one button, try to climb everything near you, free running system didn't help either.

RinoTheBouncer
01-08-2014, 06:23 PM
“What happened to the combat system in ac4???”, It’s dead or ****ed, or both... pretty much like the franchise.

luckyto
01-08-2014, 07:43 PM
I agree with OP

Combat is an absolute joy-killer

It's horrendous. It's a frikkin disaster. It's really a huge glaring blemish on an otherwise beautiful game.

Hans684
01-08-2014, 08:00 PM
If the combat really is that bad, why not make a pention for it's removal? No combat, no trouble. Since obviously acording the people it's broken and can't be fixed in anyway, at least by Ubisoft.

Shahkulu101
01-08-2014, 08:03 PM
If the combat really is that bad, why not make a pention for it's removal? No combat, no trouble. Since obviously acording the people it's broken and can't be fixed in anyway, at least by Ubisoft.

Moreover, let's set it in WWII and replace it with 3rd person shooter mechanics!

Hans684
01-08-2014, 08:07 PM
Moreover, let's set it in WWII and replace it with 3rd person shooter mechanics!

Made by Ubisoft in cooperation with Infinity Ward/Activison/EA!

Assassin's Creed: The Call Of Battlefield