PDA

View Full Version : A question about ship ammunition

EloquentIre
11-02-2013, 07:46 PM
I'm having trouble understanding the mechanics of ship looting in regard to ammunition. When I locate a ship with fire barrels or mortar ammunition and board it, the amount of ammo I have for these weapons doesn't seem to change. I've been boarding ships with the heavy shot for about an hour, and my stock isn't going up. When I do sink ships, I do get the ammo they were carrying. Do you only get the ammo if you sink the ship?

AngryRaisin
11-02-2013, 08:22 PM
??? Sounds a bit odd. If you are boarding ships you are taking them over, right—killing 10 crew and then it asks you what you want to do—either repair the Jackdaw or the second option (blanking on that right now as I have been always repairing). Every time I select Repair the Jackdaw I then get a cutscene of the crew carrying away the goods and then I get a tally of the stuff I obtained such as metal, wood, fire barrels and mortars.

EloquentIre
11-02-2013, 08:28 PM
I haven't been getting any tally. I get the cutscene but not the ammo. I can get sugar and rum just fine. Do I need to be at a certain point in the story?

Gazzaho
11-02-2013, 08:31 PM
I can't be sure but when you capture a ship you gain what is displayed on the capture screen where you can repair, reduce your reputation or later add to Kenway's Fleet. You may have to upgrade your stores in order to ensure you have a lot of ammo, the only thing I need to replenish most of the time is mortar ammo as smaller ships don't carry it, not sure if the larger ones do.

AngryRaisin
11-02-2013, 08:39 PM
I haven't been getting any tally. I get the cutscene but not the ammo. I can get sugar and rum just fine. Do I need to be at a certain point in the story?

Ah, yes, if you haven't got to mid-Sequence 3 yet where you get the tutorial about upgrading the Jackdaw and fighting/taking over ships then that would likely be the issue. You need to get through Sequence 4 to get all the fundamental functionalities of the game made available.

fightinTXaggie
11-02-2013, 08:48 PM
You can only carry a limited amount of ammo. Are you sure you aren't at your maximum allowed based on your current upgrades?

AngryRaisin
11-02-2013, 08:49 PM
^^^^ Good point!!

EloquentIre
11-02-2013, 11:01 PM
You can only carry a limited amount of ammo. Are you sure you aren't at your maximum allowed based on your current upgrades?

Yes. I'm currently at 18 heavy shot out of 20 and I'm not getting it when I plunder a ship that has heavy shot listed on the spyglass and after I kill the crew. I'm having to sing the whole ship and only get half the ammo as it stands.

EloquentIre
11-04-2013, 06:47 AM
Now I'm not getting any ammo or crew from the ships I board. Can anyone please help me with this?

EloquentIre
11-04-2013, 07:23 AM
Bump

AngryRaisin
11-04-2013, 07:27 AM
What sequence are you on? You need to be past mid-Sequence 3 to have full ship capabilities.

EloquentIre
11-04-2013, 07:28 AM
What sequence are you on? You need to be past mid-Sequence 3 to have full ship capabilities.

I'm currently finished with sequence 4. I haven't yet started 5.

invertedx
11-04-2013, 07:34 AM
Now I'm not getting any ammo or crew from the ships I board. Can anyone please help me with this?

Maybe you need to upgrade the overall cargo hold of your boat and upgrade your crew quarters as well, both of those are separate upgrades as well. I think that's the problem. Try selling your rum and sugar too free up some space if you can't afford the cargo or crew upgrade.

EloquentIre
11-04-2013, 07:39 AM
Maybe you need to upgrade the overall cargo hold of your boat and upgrade your crew quarters as well, both of those are separate upgrades as well. I think that's the problem. Try selling your rum and sugar too free up some space if you can't afford the cargo or crew upgrade.

I understand this. I have an well over 30,000 at the moment, and my cargo is all at the highest I can get it. My problem is something else. For example, I still had 8 mortars out of 10 despite boarding 3 different ships in a row that had mortars listed. I got fed up and sunk another with mortars and got ammo. I don't understand why I'm not getting it when I board a ship that has it. This is happening with crew also.

KingPavelas
11-04-2013, 07:43 AM
Because u have full ammo and crew members.

EloquentIre
11-04-2013, 07:45 AM
Because u have full ammo and crew members.

No sir, I do not have full crew and ammunition. The storm I was in and the 3 frigates and 1 man of war made sure of that.

AngryRaisin
11-04-2013, 07:57 AM
Well that is a real head scratcher. If it were me, I would just keep playing and see what happens down the road a bit. Have you been to Kingston yet?

invertedx
11-04-2013, 08:02 AM
I understand this. I have an well over 30,000 at the moment, and my cargo is all at the highest I can get it. My problem is something else. For example, I still had 8 mortars out of 10 despite boarding 3 different ships in a row that had mortars listed. I got fed up and sunk another with mortars and got ammo. I don't understand why I'm not getting it when I board a ship that has it. This is happening with crew also.

So just to clarify, when you board the ship and take it over, and it has the booty screen at the end to show what you have plundered, it specifies that you are going to receive 2 or 3 or whatever number of Mortars and yet the amount of ammo after doing this is the same as it was before you enagaged them?

OR

When you spyglass them before you engage, it says "this ship has 3 Mortars blah blah" and then when you take it over, it says you didn't receive any Mortars on the plunder screen despite it saying they were available before you engaged them?

If it's scenario #2, maybe they used the mortars during the fight so they weren't available at the end? If not then i guess it's a bug.

EloquentIre
11-04-2013, 08:02 AM
I don't think I've been there yet. I've done all the missions up to sequence 5. Is Kingston plot related?

EloquentIre
11-04-2013, 08:03 AM
So just to clarify, when you board the ship and take it over, and it has the booty screen at the end to show what you have plundered, it specifies that you are going to receive 2 or 3 or whatever number of Mortars and yet the amount of ammo after doing this is the same as it was before you enagaged them?

OR

When you spyglass them before you engage, it says "this ship has 3 Mortars blah blah" and then when you take it over, it says you didn't receive any Mortars on the plunder screen despite it saying they were available before you engaged them?

If it's scenario #2, maybe they used the mortars during the fight so they weren't available at the end? If not then i guess it's a bug.

It's the first scenario. I really hope it's not a bug, but it's looking more and more like it is.

TaylorBlakeH
01-07-2015, 06:20 PM
I'm having trouble understanding the mechanics of ship looting in regard to ammunition. When I locate a ship with fire barrels or mortar ammunition and board it, the amount of ammo I have for these weapons doesn't seem to change. I've been boarding ships with the heavy shot for about an hour, and my stock isn't going up. When I do sink ships, I do get the ammo they were carrying. Do you only get the ammo if you sink the ship?

I can second having this issue. I am VERY familiar with the mechanics of the game so I know it isn't an oversight lol. It's very frustrating because sometimes I want to spend a long time at sea looting every man of war I come across but I can only do so as long as my heavy and mortar shot ammo allows without having to fast travel somewhere there's a harbor master to buy more ammo. Sometimes I see those low level gunboats and I peer through my periscope and see that it's carrying 5 mortar shot and I say, "Heu! Perfect! I can just loot this ship for it's ammo and be about my way" but this is not so. I know that my ammo isn't maxed out because even when it's at ZERO and I board a man of war and take it's alleged 6 mortar shot, I'm still out of ammo. I'm well pat st Sequence 3 and my ship is completely upgraded aside for a few elite upgrades I haven't found the plans for yet. Any advice would be appreciated, although it seems like a bug. Obviously I've tried restarting the game and nothing seems to fix it.

TaylorBlakeH
01-07-2015, 06:30 PM

Okay I actually may have just figured something out... It seems as though you only get the ammo if the amount that you're lotting from the ship is less than or equal to the amount needed to reach your maximum capacity. For example: When you're fully upgraded in storage, you can carry 25 heavy shot and 15 mortars. I just sank a ship with 7 heavy shot and 3 mortars. My mortar ammo was at 4 out of 15 and my heavy shot was at 22 out of 25. After looting the ship, my mortar ammo went from 4 to 7, but my heavy shot stayed the same! Thats because the 7 heavy shot I was looting would cause my heavy shot ammo to go over the maximum amount. So that's the key. Make sure the amount of ammo on the ship you're targeting is less than what would make you go over the max amount. I personally view this as a bug because why not just throw away the extra and at least keep what you can but that doesn't seem to be the case. It looks like sinking instead of boarding my be ideal in this scenario since you only get half the amount of everything.