PDA

View Full Version : Assassin's Creed 4 Black Flag PC Resolution Question

bbq4tw
11-02-2013, 05:09 PM
Will Assassin's Creed 4 support a resolution of 2560x1080? When I say support the resolution, I mean support it in the full resolution, not like Assassin's Creed 3 which ran it in full screen but was 1920x1080 with black bars on the side. No clue why the regression from 2 and brotherhood which both supported the resolution fully. If 4 plays in the full resolution, I'll preorder today. Does anyone know a site that lists the supported resolutions?

Mr_Shade
11-02-2013, 07:47 PM
I will see what I can find out.

bbq4tw
11-05-2013, 02:50 PM
Any update to this question?

strigoi1958
11-05-2013, 03:50 PM
Wow that's a monster of a monitor :eek: I always assumed (and knowing me I'm probably 100% wrong) more people were moving to 16: 9 ratio as a lot play on their HD tv's and even some multi monitor displays turn them portrait to get a 16:9 aspect ratio... yours is really really widescreen must be 21: 9 or 21: 10 it would need a lot more game to fill the gap but I hope it is made available to you.

Johny-Al-Knox
11-05-2013, 04:49 PM
http://www.geforce.com/whats-new/articles/assassins-creed-iv-black-flag-pc-nvidia-enhancements-revealed

Nvidia is pushing the 4K. So yeah it will support 4K i would naturally assume.

But how well it will perform etc.. is my biggest concern

YazX_
11-05-2013, 05:01 PM
http://www.geforce.com/whats-new/articles/assassins-creed-iv-black-flag-pc-nvidia-enhancements-revealed

Nvidia is pushing the 4K. So yeah it will support 4K i would naturally assume.

But how well it will perform etc.. is my biggest concern

it is not about resolution only, its about aspect ratio which is the core of this thread, 4k will run on 16:9 aspect ratio, so there is no problem, also 2560 x 1440 @ 16:9 aspect ratio works well on AC3 and most probably on AC4 as the major of gamers have screens with 16:9 aspect ratio, having 2560 x 1080 resolution will result in 21:9 / 21:10 aspect ratio (Ultra Wide screen) which was not supported in AC3, and i really doubt it would be in AC4, only time can tell when the game is released, unless Mr_Shade can get us some info from the Dev team.

Wow that's a monster of a monitor :eek: I always assumed (and knowing me I'm probably 100% wrong) more people were moving to 16: 9 ratio as a lot play on their HD tv's and even some multi monitor displays turn them portrait to get a 16:9 aspect ratio... yours is really really widescreen must be 21: 9 or 21: 10 it would need a lot more game to fill the gap but I hope it is made available to you.

Well yah, but recently, LG and others are bringing 29" Ultra wide screens which costs around 500$ and gives you great gaming experience, but the problem is few games support it as its just minority who use them. maybe in future we will witness better support for them.

Johny-Al-Knox
11-05-2013, 05:32 PM
it is not about resolution only, its about aspect ratio which is the core of this thread, 4k will run on 16:9 aspect ratio, so there is no problem, also 2560 x 1440 @ 16:9 aspect ratio works well on AC3 and most probably on AC4 as the major of gamers have screens with 16:9 aspect ratio, having 2560 x 1080 resolution will result in 21:9 / 21:10 aspect ratio (Ultra Wide screen) which was not supported in AC3, and i really doubt it would be in AC4, only time can tell when the game is released, unless Mr_Shade can get us some info from the Dev team.

Well yah, but recently, LG and others are bringing 29" Ultra wide screens which costs around 500$ and gives you great gaming experience, but the problem is few games support it as its just minority who use them. maybe in future we will witness better support for them.

I see. Just something i assumed then i guess

I have only a 1080P monitor so yeah.

bbq4tw
11-05-2013, 09:01 PM

I have no clue why they didn't support the resolution in AC3 after AC2, Brotherhood, and I believe Revelations all supported it. I didn't realize that AC3 was using a different engine.

aixilmf
11-06-2013, 06:54 PM

Few games support 21:9? Most games since 2007 support 21:9. With Hor+ there shouldn't be a problem.

aixilmf
11-06-2013, 06:58 PM
I understand that devs may want to preserve 16:9 for cinematics but that doesn't mean that gameplay support for 21:9 should be gimped just as devs shouldn't abandon 16:10 or 4:3.

bbq4tw
11-06-2013, 08:14 PM
I understand that devs may want to preserve 16:9 for cinematics but that doesn't mean that gameplay support for 21:9 should be gimped just as devs shouldn't abandon 16:10 or 4:3.

I just noticed you (aixilmf) posted about the same issue with the new splinter cell game. I guess it's fair to say Ubisoft has abandoned the resolution. No clue why they no longer support it when they did in the past. Guess I'll wait for the steam summer sale to get black flag (should be around $10-$15 then).

Mr_Shade
11-08-2013, 12:16 PM
Hi guys,

yes it's supported and the game also supports Eyefinity/Surround

ACBF PC Single-Player support all 3x1 resolutions

There maybe some boarders on a single screen to maintain the ratio and MP on multiple monitors - to stop any advantages in MP

bbq4tw
11-09-2013, 12:23 AM
Hi guys,

yes it's supported and the game also supports Eyefinity/Surround

ACBF PC Single-Player support all 3x1 resolutions

There maybe some boarders on a single screen to maintain the ratio and MP on multiple monitors - to stop any advantages in MP

Thanks for the info (although I'm a little disappointed).

aixilmf
11-09-2013, 07:57 AM
Just to be clear, in the case of single screen 21:9 resolutions the borders are only for MP right?

bbq4tw
11-09-2013, 06:03 PM
Just to be clear, in the case of single screen 21:9 resolutions the borders are only for MP right?

I'm betting the borders will be there for both single and multi player. Sounds exactly like AC3.

YazX_
11-09-2013, 06:14 PM
I'm betting the borders will be there for both single and multi player. Sounds exactly like AC3.

yep and this is what i expected.

aixilmf
11-10-2013, 09:18 AM

What a shame for a AAA title! What I don't understand is why eyefinity/surround support but not 21:9? Isn't it all Hor+ anyway? Can't think of a recent non-Ubisoft title that doesn't support 21:9.

bbq4tw
11-10-2013, 05:03 PM
What a shame for a AAA title! What I don't understand is why eyefinity/surround support but not 21:9? Isn't it all Hor+ anyway? Can't think of a recent non-Ubisoft title that doesn't support 21:9.

What's worse is it's supported in Far Cry 3 and all the Assassin's Creed titles before 3. I believe it was you that posted it wasn't supported in the new splinter cell game either so it seems all their new games are locked at 16:9. Would love to hear a developer's reasoning behind this.

aixilmf
11-11-2013, 06:30 PM
What's worse is it's supported in Far Cry 3 and all the Assassin's Creed titles before 3. I believe it was you that posted it wasn't supported in the new splinter cell game either so it seems all their new games are locked at 16:9. Would love to hear a developer's reasoning behind this.

Yeah. Apparently they released a patch that provided "support for super widescreen aspect ratios" for Splinter Cell Blacklist and by support they meant black borders yet they have full support for eyefinity/surround on SP without black borders. I've tried to modify the .ini files but it doesn't work. The black borders seem to be baked into the engine itself. Tried technical support and the forums but no response. I can't believe they are actually charging $60 for Splinter Cell Blacklist with its outdated engine, unremarkable gameplay and poor pc support. Didn't expect this from a major developer/publisher. Even Unigine's Heaven 4.0, which is free, supports custom resolutions and its made by a 20 person outfit.

As you said, I would love to hear their reasoning but we're probably not gonna get one because they wouldn't have a bona fide reason to begin with. MP advantage? Then have the restrictions only on MP. Quality control / design choice? Then why allow eyefinity/surround? I mean if its really for quality control, they should seriously learn from Metro: Last Light. Give consumers the choice and warn them that things may not run as well. After all, most of us PC users know what we're doing and even we don't, we're willing to take the risk. We didn't build our own PCs, OC our CPUs and burnt a few parts in the process just for devs to coddle us with console-grade settings. If possible, we would sweet-fx/ENB/SGSSAA the crap out of every single blade of grass.

So Ubisoft, you started out developing for PCs. Don't let us PC users down.

FalcaxTwitch
11-12-2013, 10:20 AM
I jsut moved to a new place and only have an old flat screen that only supports 4:3 i mean it doesnt even have an hdmi input. So i would like to know if AC4 will have 4:3 support unlike AC3 which did not

aixilmf
11-19-2013, 07:43 PM
Just installed AC4. Unsurprisingly, it does NOT fully support 21:9. Has the same pillarboxing as Splinter Cell: Blacklist and AC3.

gpkgpk
11-20-2013, 01:49 AM
Uh, running 3x 1920x1200 in nV Surround, bezel corrected resolution of 6030x1200 and you can imagine my surprise ( very unpleasant) when the first thing I see are letterboxing black bars at the top and bottom of the screens.
What's the deal here? Last I checked it was 2013 and nVidia was touting AC4 +PC=awesome. The 16:9 aspect ratio smells of consolitis, which is unforgivable for a PC flagship title
If I had known in advance I probably would not have pre-ordered.
Maybe the devs are eating too many St-Viateur bagels instead of the more delicious Fairmount Bagels and it is clouding their judgement...

gpk

GravitySmacked
11-20-2013, 03:10 PM
So it supports 21:9 but with black bars down both sides; in summary it's not really supported at all. Coupled with there being no way to alter this in the config file (from what I can see anyway) it's very disappointing; even Half Life 2 supports this res.

gustavorios2
12-01-2013, 03:36 PM
SOLVED!!
There's a software called Flawless Widescreen (http://www.flawlesswidescreen.org/) that fixes this game and many others!
Amazing work the guy is doing https://www.flawlesswidescreen.org/

SirArchie6
12-01-2013, 03:46 PM
Also try widescreen gaming forum http://www.wsgf.org/ who support widescreen fixer which deals with a huge range of games and the fixes needed to make them work with different screen setups. I have 3 x HD res 5760 x 1080 or greater and have found this group invaluable and a nice bunch of guys.

musefongfsl
12-10-2013, 10:30 AM
http://abload.de/img/21_9_tho9sv5.jpg

musefongfsl
12-10-2013, 10:31 AM
http://www.wsgf.org/forums/viewtopic...26834&start=20

DO IT NOW and ENJOY! Thanks user fac51 for sharing to us!