PDA

View Full Version : AC1 retcons *SPOILERS*

TheHumanTowel
11-01-2013, 08:55 PM
http://i.imgur.com/WU8Q1np.jpg

So all the stuff in the e-mails in AC1 about how 2012 was kind of dystopian have been retconned? Guess it was inevitable seeing as they've completely ignored it since AC1 but it's still disappointing to see. It doesn't even make sense really. Why would Erudito post fake news stories that everyone would know weren't true? I think everyone would realise 90% of the population of Africa hadn't been killed by a plague or that all the film studios hadn't closed. It's just a pretty lame copout that shows they really haven't known what they were doing with the modern day for a long time.

Sushiglutton
11-01-2013, 09:03 PM
I guess Erudito wanted to create unbelievable news to undermine Abstergo's newswire and make them look silly?

Never understood why Ubi went there in the first place tbh. I think it's better if the modern day part in AC matches the real world as much as possible by letting the Assassin/templar conflict happen in the shadows. Especially long therm that seems better for the franchise as otherwise it will become increasingly less credible. Killing off 90% of Africa was kind of a dead end and completely unnecessary, especially since it was presented in some e-mail.

I dunno, I'm no modern day AC scholar.

ACfan443
11-01-2013, 09:21 PM
Any loose threads from previous games which revolved around the present day, you can expect to either be completely ignored, or resolved in a similar fashion to the 'Finding Eve'/Desmond's 'son' plot, and now of course this. Copouts and half arsery became increasingly evident post Brotherhood, and now they've toned down the present day to being almost entirely optional. It's a shadow of its former self and I don't really see it going anywhere in the future, sadly.

ze_topazio
11-01-2013, 09:34 PM
I guess Erudito wanted to create unbelievable news to undermine Abstergo's newswire and make them look silly?

Never understood why Ubi went there in the first place tbh. I think it's better if the modern day part in AC matches the real world as much as possible by letting the Assassin/templar conflict happen in the shadows. Especially long therm that seems better for the franchise as otherwise it will become increasingly less credible. Killing off 90% of Africa was kind of a dead end and completely unnecessary, especially since it was presented in some e-mail.

I dunno, I'm no modern day AC scholar.

I agree, never quite liked the idea of a semi-apocalyptic modern world too.

Farlander1991
11-01-2013, 10:51 PM
I see it as a good thing, really. Gives possibility to cover some of the current events as part of the Assassin/Templar conflict. You can't really do that when the world is not in the same shape as it is now.

PS. Btw, it could also be Erudito's 'test drive' in tampering with Abstergo security.

I-Like-Pie45
11-01-2013, 10:56 PM
I see it as a good thing, really. Gives possibility to cover some of the current events as part of the Assassin/Templar conflict. You can't really do that when the world is not in the same shape as it is now.

PS. Btw, it could also be Erudito's 'test drive' in tampering with Abstergo security.

so would Obama be a Templar or Assassin?