PDA

View Full Version : IGN ranks the Assassin Creed Series

luckyto
11-01-2013, 07:24 PM
http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/10/31/the-best-assassins-creed-games

I'm disappointed with the placement of AC1. Far better than given credit for.

AC2_alex
11-01-2013, 07:32 PM
Switch Brotherood and AC1 and the list is right.

ZAMBIA449
11-01-2013, 07:50 PM
Never played AC brotherhood or Revalations, so cannot comment, i would rate as this

1) Black flag
2) AC 3
3) AC 2
4) AC 1

SleezeRocker
11-01-2013, 07:55 PM
For me switch 4 and 5 (AC1-Ac3) and the list pretty has my rankings right.

Assassin_M
11-01-2013, 08:09 PM
Reading the comments....I never realized how much idiots this fanbase has...NO ONE understands the concept of OPINIONS -_-

anyone who says "AC III is good" there's a thousand replies of "RAGARGARAGA you're stupid, aragaragarag and wrong conner iz boring, i like to suck on enzio"

I'd switch AC II with AC I and AC III with Brotherhood.

SleezeRocker
11-01-2013, 08:13 PM
Reading the comments....I never realized how much idiots this fanbase has...NO ONE understands the concept of OPINIONS -_-

*shakes head* Because ain't nobody got time to listen lol
But oh well what can one do about it :P

Assassin_M
11-01-2013, 08:15 PM
*shakes head* Because ain't nobody got time to listen lol
But oh well what can one do about it :P
Yeah, it just soured the experience of reading this article -_-

SleezeRocker
11-01-2013, 08:18 PM
Yeah, it just soured the experience of reading this article -_-

And on top of that, it's IGN(orant) hahahaha

Rugterwyper32
11-01-2013, 08:32 PM
While I haven't played AC4 (though I'm expecting it to be my favorite), I know I'd rank ACR the highest of the Ezio trilogy, ACB middle and AC2 lowest. AC1 followed by AC3 above ACB.
You might be wondering, why AC2 last? Besides the fact it took until very close to the end of the game for Ezio to finally grow on me, I have three big issues with AC2:

1) Combat felt pretty dumbed down from AC1. It got even worse in ACB, but AC2 was pretty close. The addition of medicine and armor didn't help with how easy combat could get overall. I also felt the flow AC1 combat could have was lost there, when you went on the offense with AC1 combat it would be pretty damn fun.

2) The scavenger hunt for the codex pages. Now, there are times when scavenger hunts can be fun: Metroid Prime 3 had probably my favorite looking for the energy cells as chances are you'd get the number you needed throughout the main story and there were more than what you actually needed, so it was not a problem if you didn't feel like hunting for the rest or if you wanted to do a minimalist run or something. But AC2? Well, you have to hunt all the codex pages! Also, you want to add some challenge to combat keeping low health? Well, you'll have to deal with having more health at least during the last part of the game as somehow that increases your health even though we've been basically ignoring the sync system all game long! There is no consistent logic. You've been increasing your health with armor and whatnot and healing with medicine rather than having to worry about sync and now you're getting extra health because... sync? I don't know. And the hunt itself is slightly annoying. While the game does mention the codex being important, you can basically ignore them entirely until the end of the game. Nevermind the locations are nonsensical. This reviewer from Gamefaqs actually mentions my issue with them:

"A big part of the game revolves around collecting codex pages, and while some of them are acquired naturally through the plot, others are hidden in large chests in abandoned buildings in cities, always guarded by four guards. Let's think about this a second. Why do these guards know the pages are valuable? If they know they're valuable, why don't they, oh I don't know, move them to a centralized and more secure location, like the Vatican? Why do they have to stay in random abandon buildings? And why do they add health points when you find them?!"

I still believe Codex Pages shouldn't have been in these random buildings but rather getting the ones you didn't collect during the main story in some extra mission or something.

3) Not being able to replay missions. I CAN'T. STRESS THIS. ENOUGH. Every other game in the series has had the option for you to replay missions (or in the case of AC1, sequences as a whole). Why, of all games, does this one not have as much? It's IMMENSELY frustrating. I know there's ways to keep save files on a USB or something and replay missions like that, but it shouldn't come to that. I don't want to replay the whole game to replay my favorite missions, because it turns out to be really annoying. I don't want to go through all of the first 6 sequences to get to Venice again and kill Emilio in his palace and try that in multiple ways. Seriously, that's one of the biggest blunders of AC2 and the reason it's one of my least favorites in the series. It's such a frustrating thing. You have some FANTASTIC missions, and yet the only ones you let the player redo are... The sidequests? I mean, I like secret locations, I have no problem with that, but I'd prefer replaying main missions to beating up unfaithful husbands or being a courier. It's such a missed opportunity. Honestly, that alone made AC2 my least replayed AC game.

Other smaller issues I have with it are the notoriety system and how illogical it is (recurring in the series so far) and the two cut sequences, but they're minor compared to these three issues IMO. I like AC2, yes, but it's definitely my least favorite of the series.

It's funny how the last in this list, ACR is so far actually my favorite in the series (though I didn't realize until I made up the opinion in my head). I disagree about Constantinople, it's so far my favorite location in the series, and gameplay-wise it has many elements I actually enjoy (even though they can be redundant, bombs are fun), some pretty good missions even though not enough Assassinations, some nice greyness to bring us back to it rather than MUHAHA LOOK AT ME I'M EVIL TEMPLAR, Ezio at his most likeable, seeing more of Altair after AC1, and good closure to their stories. Side missions, though much less than ACB, were rather good (except for the book ones that didn't make much sense) and I overall just find it fun, if a bit too short. I'm actually surprised by the fact I like it so much, but I do.

bismp
11-01-2013, 08:37 PM
For me it is Brotherhood>2>3>revelations>1.i haven't played assassin's creed 4, but i believe that it is going to be easily in my top 3.

Iamsosobad
11-01-2013, 10:19 PM
Switch Brotherood and AC1 and the list is right.

I have no idea what you're talking about, Brotherhood was easily a top 2 AC game -_-

CalgaryJay
11-01-2013, 10:58 PM
1) Combat felt pretty dumbed down from AC1. It got even worse in ACB, but AC2 was pretty close. The addition of medicine and armor didn't help with how easy combat could get overall. I also felt the flow AC1 combat could have was lost there, when you went on the offense with AC1 combat it would be pretty damn fun.

It's certainly easier than AC1, but I didn't find it too dumbed down in II. Agreed that it went that way in ACB though. I replayed the whole series over winter/spring, and I could tell I had gotten way better at fighting than I was the first time, as I hardly ever relied on the counter-attack button. I just liked to dart left or right at the last second when he attacked, and then stab them in their exposed side or back. But in ACB they took away that dodge button and instead made it a kick, which just completely took the skill out of fighting, hate how they did that.

That element really ruined ACB for me on my second play-through. It's funny because the first time I played all the games, I regarded ACB as the best. But on my replay as a much more skilled fighter, I hated how simple they made it in ACB. The beginning of the hand-holding that hit its apex in III..

I-Like-Pie45
11-01-2013, 10:58 PM
I have no idea what you're talking about, Brotherhood was easily a top 2 AC game -_-

We here at the forums consider Brotherhood the Superman 64 of the series.

Farlander1991
11-01-2013, 10:59 PM
I still believe Codex Pages shouldn't have been in these random buildings but rather getting the ones you didn't collect during the main story in some extra mission or something.

This actually makes sense, all Codex Pages were in possessions of Templars. Ergo the side Codex pages also should've been in possessions of Templars. Who we'd assassinate or steal from. Or maybe not just Templars, maybe just some random nobles, traders, collectors, so we'd have an option to buy them, or, well, acquire in a bunch of different ways (chests still could stay for people like collectors of antiquities)

Though what bothers me more is that somehow there's a map of the Codex pages, and it's not just an Animus convention to make it easier for Desmond to find them as Ezio, it's literally mentioned by Caterina. A list of owners would make more sense.

STDlyMcStudpants
11-01-2013, 11:38 PM
ACB better than AC3?! LOL no

Assassin_M
11-01-2013, 11:39 PM
To you..

do you frequent IGN by any chance?

LatinaC09
11-02-2013, 12:06 AM
ACB better than AC3?! LOL no

Thank you! That definitely needed to be said! ACB should be down the list in my opinion.

roostersrule2
11-02-2013, 12:08 AM
1. AC2
2. ACR
3. ACB
4. AC1
5. AC3

I'll place AC4 somewhere when I finish it.

Assassin_M
11-02-2013, 12:08 AM
Lets just not try and take away from the credibility of the publisher of the article simply because we disagree...well, I mean IGN is already in the dirt, but still..

Legendz54
11-02-2013, 12:28 AM
What is this? AC2 is on the top everywhere even though we have already had 2 games without him. People must be seeing something in him i dont because i think Altair, Connor and Edward are all better characters than him.

leroy19852010
11-02-2013, 02:27 AM
for me its, 2, 4, 3, 1, brotherhood, revelations.

number 1 was repetitive but it had amazing story and voice acting was so good, i loved altier and al mulim, how ever you spell it, i hated they changed his voice in revelations.

Shahkulu101
11-02-2013, 02:51 AM
Look at what the writer says about Constantinople - invalid arguments.

I-Like-Pie45
11-02-2013, 02:54 AM
Personally I rank them

in terms of story
AC3
AC4
AC1
ACR

yes, that is the complete list.

Assassin_M
11-02-2013, 02:57 AM
Look at what the writer says about Constantinople - invalid arguments.
and

"Assassin’s Creed IV’s more lighthearted pirate setting"
"The game also benefits from a much more playful story that doesn't get bogged down in politics and melodrama."

http://gyazo.com/2dc0676e483b44653f3894bd1a6bfb58.png

ReverseDoddo
11-02-2013, 03:00 AM
yes it is do u have a problem ac 3 sucks the best ac is 2 and acb

Assassin_M
11-02-2013, 03:00 AM
yes it is do u have a problem ac 3 sucks the best ac is 2 and acb
Hahahahahahahaha

Assassin_M
11-02-2013, 03:01 AM
Personally I rank them

in terms of story
AC3
AC4
AC1
ACR

yes, that is the complete list.
I applaud you

Shahkulu101
11-02-2013, 03:02 AM
May as well - in terms of entertainment:

ACIV
ACB
ACII
ACR
ACIII
ACI

In terms of blinding nostalgia factor:

Ac2 en Enziio rr da bessttt!,,11,!,!!!

AC2_alex
11-02-2013, 03:15 AM

anyone who says "AC III is good" there's a thousand replies of "RAGARGARAGA you're stupid, aragaragarag and wrong conner iz boring, i like to suck on enzio"

I'd switch AC II with AC I and AC III with Brotherhood.

As a regular IGN reader and a hard core AC fan, I can say that reading the comments section on AC articles always makes me cringe. For no particular reason, they put ACB on a pedestal like its the crown-jewel of the franchise.

Assassin_M
11-02-2013, 03:19 AM
As a regular IGN reader and a hard core AC fan, I can say that reading the comments section on AC articles always makes me cringe. For no particular reason, they put ACB on a pedestal like its the crown-jewel of the franchise.
I mean, okay..yeah sure, diss AC III and Connor all you want in your comments, but why take a crap on someone else's comments for liking something you dislike?? It's like there's a bunch of 5 years olds who have no life just waiting on their PCs to diss someone and feel good about themselves...gosh, I wish one of them would be reading this now..

AC2_alex
11-02-2013, 03:24 AM
I don't partake in IGN comments section........ never. I read though, its like watching a real life fight. Kinda ****ed up but still intriguing.

Assassin_M
11-02-2013, 03:25 AM
I don't partake in IGN comments section........ never. I read though, its like watching a real life fight. Kinda ****ed up but still intriguing.
It's pathetically hilarious..

I-Like-Pie45
11-02-2013, 03:27 AM
I don't think that the average IGN user is capable of comprehending the meaning of your point, M. The post would just fly over their heads.

And this is coming from me, one who believes in the goodness of the comman man more than anything else.

AC2_alex
11-02-2013, 03:28 AM
I don't think that the average IGN user is capable of comprehending the meaning of your point, M. The post would just fly over their heads.

And this is coming from me, one who believes in the goodness of the comman man more than anything else.

Sometimes your posts just make me laugh. Thanks you :)

Assassin_M
11-02-2013, 03:30 AM

Common man...IGN users are not common men...they're very very special...

ACfan443
11-02-2013, 03:30 AM
Wow, out of the 78,000 who voted in that poll, AC2's in the lead with almost half the votes.
I'd rank them:
AC2/AC1
ACB
AC3
ACR

Haven't completely finished Black Flag, but so far it's just under ACB.

Kaschra
11-02-2013, 03:33 AM
They wrote that Constantinople is boring and dull... the list is sh*t.

AC2_alex
11-02-2013, 03:33 AM
Common man...IGN users are not common men...they're very very special...

tee hee

I-Like-Pie45
11-02-2013, 03:40 AM
Darby McDevitt was the best thing to happen to this series

He brought back moral ambiguity after the horrible cartoon mess that was ACB's sto-GUARDS

Ahmet's pwning of Ezio is still one of the best dialogues in the series

I think everything would have been better for AC overall if

ACB was released as it was intended, an AC2 DLC expansion.
ACR, ACIII, and AC4 all integrated into Patrice's original AC3 vision: multiple ancestors in one game with a modern day race across the world to stop the Templars and figure out the First Civ Mystery as Desmond.

curse you Yves.

SleezeRocker
11-02-2013, 03:48 AM
Ahmet's pwning of Ezio is still one of the best dialogues in the series

ah yes, best part in ACR.
I literally did this after Ahmet's challenged Ezio

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DhrZxSoLmgA

AC2_alex
11-02-2013, 03:49 AM
Still freaking love AC, man.

Escappa
11-02-2013, 03:51 AM
1. ACIV (Great setting and story. Edward is the best assassin yet IMO, he seems more realistic than Altair, Ezio and Connor)
2. ACII and ACIII (can't choose)
3. ACB (
4. ACR (after two games, I didn't find Ezio that interesting anymore. It would be last, but it did have THE best multiplayer yet)
5. AC1 (due to being very repetitive)

But the thing is that it doesn't really matter which game is better or worse, they ALL come together to the best franchise in video game history.

AC2_alex
11-02-2013, 03:54 AM
they ALL come together to the best franchise in video game history.

eh...... eh-- eh

SleezeRocker
11-02-2013, 03:55 AM
But the thing is that it doesn't really matter which game is better or worse, they ALL come together to the best franchise in video game history.

The sentence of reason ;)

AC2_alex
11-02-2013, 04:05 AM
ehhhhh

roostersrule2
11-02-2013, 04:36 AM
Look at what the writer says about Constantinople - invalid arguments.That made me sick.

yes it is do u have a problem ac 3 sucks the best ac is 2 and acbAgreed.

pirate1802
11-02-2013, 05:30 AM

Agreed a million times. When I say this is the best and this is the worst among AC games, I only say relatively. There may be some AC games that disappoint me somewhat, but at the end of the day they all are great games, and they give me something that NO other videogame in recent times do.

Btw, my internet is acting up, so can't open that IGN link. Anyone would be kind enough to post the listing here with a short summery if possible?

roostersrule2
11-02-2013, 06:00 AM
Agreed a million times. When I say this is the best and this is the worst among AC games, I only say relatively. There may be some AC games that disappoint me somewhat, but at the end of the day they all are great games, and they give me something that NO other videogame in recent times do.

Btw, my internet is acting up, so can't open that IGN link. Anyone would be kind enough to post the listing here with a short summery if possible?Assassins Creed Revelations:

Relevations represents the low point of Ubisoftís ďkitchen sinkĒ Assassinís Creed mentality. Itís not enough to recruit and develop the skills of fellow Assassins - Revelations has to use them in an ill-conceived tower defense minigame. Itís not enough to be able to craft bombs - Revelations has to have multiple types of craftable bombs, and the ability to loot bomb-crafting materials from virtually everywhere. Itís commendable that the story brings the tales of Ezio and Altair around full-circle, but the city of Constantinople is arguably the weakest and least distinct setting in an Assassinís Creed game.

Assassins Creed 1:

The original Assassinís Creed suffers from the opposite problem as its numerous sequels. While those games are packed with systems and sideshows to the point of distraction, AC1 instead feels a little repetitive and limited in scope. Its now-famous fluid movement system and impressive verticality make controlling Altair a lot of fun, though. And the gameís 12th century Middle Eastern setting certainly feels unique, even compared to the historical settings future games would tackle. But the game never quite overcomes its repetitive nature.

Assassins Creed 3:

Setting an Assassinís Creed game during the American revolution sounds like a no-brainer, right? Unfortunately AC III suffers from a major case of sequelitis. The overwrought story and opening tutorials take nearly 10 hours to truly turn players loose on the world. And once the sandbox does open up, mission scripting problems and other technical glitches hamper the fun. Multiplayer is further refined, the American setting is thrilling, and the core leaping, stalking, and killing are still plenty satisfying, though.

Assassins Creed Brotherhood:

Assassinís Creed: Brotherhood lets players explore Rome and its surrounding countryside in all its glory. Palling around with Leonardo Da Vinci, climbing the Coliseum and other incredible Roman sights, all while building up your own personal Assassin army - whatís not to like? Brotherhood is the genesis of the complaint that AC games simply cram in too many distractions, but we think the balance here is just right. Brotherhood also scores points for introducing the seriesí surprisingly strong and innovative multiplayer.

Assassins Creed 4: Black Flag:

Assassinís Creed IVís more lighthearted pirate setting is a fantastic fit for the seriesí trademark open-ended, fluid exploration and combat. Itís an enthralling game for adventurers. Just strike out on the open seas and goÖ anywhere. The game also benefits from a much more playful story that doesnít get bogged down in politics and melodrama.

Assassins Creed 2:

Assassinís Creed II improves on virtually every element of the so-so original. Three huge, distinct Renaissance Italy cities make exploration a joy instead of a chore. And a much-improved storyline keeps you intrigued and invested in Ezioís struggles. Hidden tombs and a new money system give AC II plenty of extra content without feeling bogged down.

I-Like-Pie45
11-02-2013, 06:01 AM
I can't tell who is the worst of them all

GameSpot, IGN, or Kotaku

roostersrule2
11-02-2013, 06:03 AM

GameSpot, IGN, or KotakuI only read IGN because they have Greg Miller, the most unbiased person ever.

poptartz20
11-02-2013, 06:07 AM

GameSpot, IGN, or Kotaku

Haha.. yeah I couldn't agree more.

Umm.. but I can't say that I fully agree with this list. also, I haven't played AC4 yet. (waiting until the 15th. ;_;)

but I so agree with ACR being #6 haha. I'm currently trying to replay it.. but I still just can't get into it like I want to. I'll probably go play AC3 or ACB again. ( I barely remember the Ezio series anymore)

pirate1802
11-02-2013, 06:46 AM
Wait what? Constantinople was the weakest and least distinct city? Remind me to ignore this person's articles in future. I thought it was one of the best cities, after Venice.

IMO, this is how I'd rate them. I haven't played AC4 yet so leaving that out..

5. AC Brotherhood: Craptastic, DLC-worthy short story, cliched mustache-twirling enemies. These are unforgivable mistakes since I consider AC strong in exactly these aspects. Rome wasn't as fun as I had thought and felt oddly similar to AC2's cities; which probably made sense but still meant that the city didn't have its own distinct look. Not as distinct as Constantinople or Venice anyway. Combat was easy as **** and you can't die even if you stop mashing buttons. War Machine missions were fun and taking Borgia towers down was a fun challenge. Ezio was at his worst in his trilogy. A generic white knight robin hood that we see in other games so often. Again, an unforgivable mistake considering the history of the series. Machiavelli was interesting.

4. AC1: A great first game but pales before its sequels. Felt kinda empty with not enough to do, which is a shame because the wold it created was gorgeous. Still magnificent cities and freedom to assassinate a target as you see fit. Altair's transformation from a selfish brat to enlightened veteran was a pleasure to watch. ALL the villains were fantastic and every time I killed one of those I wondered, have I done the right thing after all? The highlight of this game and indeed the franchise. the MORAL AMBIGUITY.

3. AC Revelations: Not enough new gameplay mechanics, felt like a DLC, BUT Constantinople was just beautiful and Ezio was at his best among all his games. Ending Altair's story was a plus as well. The moral ambiguity that was so lacking in previous games felt like returning somewhat.

2. AC3: Story kinda muddled up and dull cities, but it certainly gave me glimpses of what made AC2 so endearing to me. Plus NAVEL!! The moral ambiguity, for the first tie since AC1, returned in full force. They always made me feel confused after I killed a Templar. Great cast of Templar enemies. They were varied too. Some were init for the ideology, so just for wine and titties. And Haytham Kenway, he was just awesome. The best AC character to date for me.

1. AC2: Didn't have as original a story as its other brethren but was told in a beautiful and personal way. It combined every AC elements in one beautiful game. This is the pinnacle of AC for me and I'll forever compare other ACs to this. It was interesting to watch a young and carefree Ezio and how his world shatters around him and his shoulders are suddenly burdened with responsibility he never thought of carrying. The cities were gorgeous, all of them. But the Templar enemies were cliched and generic which made me disappointed. Compared to AC1's death speeches, AC2's basically translate to "you wer right ezio i was so wrong i must dy now lolz" But other than a predictable story and cliched enemies, pretty much a flawless game.

Kagurra
11-02-2013, 06:53 AM
Eh, I didn't think anything special of Constantinople.

lothario-da-be
11-02-2013, 08:40 AM
Looks like a good list imo. I never realy rank the ac games because i can't choose a best or worst one. But if i realy had to, that would probably my list.

lothario-da-be
11-02-2013, 08:44 AM
1. ACIV (Great setting and story. Edward is the best assassin yet IMO, he seems more realistic than Altair, Ezio and Connor)
2. ACII and ACIII (can't choose)
3. ACB (
4. ACR (after two games, I didn't find Ezio that interesting anymore. It would be last, but it did have THE best multiplayer yet)
5. AC1 (due to being very repetitive)

This, when you compare ac4 to the last of us or rdr the game is less good. But as a franchise its the best off al time. I would even go so far to say that AC defines the current gaming generation.

shobhit7777777
11-02-2013, 10:11 AM
Reading an IGN opinion piece is like reading a 5 year old's essay on the Cold War

You just do it for teh lulz.

lothario-da-be
11-02-2013, 10:25 AM
Reading an IGN opinion piece is like reading a 5 year old's essay on the Cold War

You just do it for teh lulz.
True, but they probably weren't paid for this. So i guess this is more reliable then their reviews.

STDlyMcStudpants
11-02-2013, 03:43 PM
6. (Havent finished Ac IV yet)

5. Assassins Creed (Awesome setting and story, just too repettive and confusing to fully enjoy the 1st time)

4. Assassin's Creed Brotherhood (Easily the most FUN AC and introduced capturing points and the best MP to date (idk about AC4 yet), but lackluster Disney Tale)

3. Assassin's Creed Revelations (The most immersive game I've Ever played, brilliant story and camera angle - you were in the game, not just playing one!, but too small of a world, too focused on the animus and sync, though the story was great (for the present day altier ezio bits) the rest JUST about Ezio were very forgettable)

2. Assassin's Creed II (The game that changed the series, if the list was about which game made AC what it is - AC 2 is just that, the story was great, city was beautiful, had fun glyphs and puzzles to solve, but the mission design was very bland (compared to AC1 the missions were far from bland but compared to the rest of the series they were)

1. Assassin's Creed III (Greatest missions Design in the series, SO much variety. The game told separate stories and wasnt all about the Creed - which was a nice change. Wonderful side missions that were different every sequence (Not beat up a cheating husband and beat me in a race 1 sequence and then beat up 2 cheating husband and win 3 races in the next sequence, rinse and repeat), Assassin's Creed III has come the farthest out of any game in the series in terms of game design and organic gameplay, but of course had boring cities and a story with MASSIVE potential but wasnt delivered properly.)

AC IV def has the potential to dethrone AC3 for me, but i will see when i finish

roostersrule2
11-02-2013, 03:50 PM
1. Assassin's Creed III (Greatest missions Design in the series, SO much variety. The game told separate stories and wasnt all about the Creed - which was a nice change. Wonderful side missions that were different every sequence (Not beat up a cheating husband and beat me in a race 1 sequence and then beat up 2 cheating husband and win 3 races in the next sequence, rince and repeat), Assassin's Creed III has come the farthest out of any game in the series in terms of game design and organic gameplay, but of course had boring cities and a story with MASSIVE potential but wasnt delivered correctly.)http://31.media.tumblr.com/71739d526338b801ab6a4194629209b4/tumblr_moii0yGk0C1sqqg60o1_250.gif

I also don't see how AC3's your favourite, you listed more negatives for it then any other AC?

Also I could see preferring AC1's mission structure over AC2's, but blander? AC2's environment is what made everything bland from the first one fresh, that includes mission design.

STDlyMcStudpants
11-02-2013, 03:54 PM
http://31.media.tumblr.com/71739d526338b801ab6a4194629209b4/tumblr_moii0yGk0C1sqqg60o1_250.gif

It's true lol
Every missions felt like it could be in a movie and were a blast :D

Assassin_M
11-02-2013, 03:56 PM
that includes mission design.
Go pickpocket ribbons...

I-Like-Pie45
11-02-2013, 03:58 PM
It's true lol

Paul Revere's Midnight Ride

roostersrule2
11-02-2013, 03:59 PM
It's true lol
Every missions felt like it could be in a movie and were a blast :DSo you like set pieces, but even then ACR had more. ACR was the most cinematic IMO.

That's probably my main problem with AC3, EVERY mission was like that. Except they weren't cool enough to be movie quality and were linear and just boring.

roostersrule2
11-02-2013, 04:00 PM
Go pickpocket ribbons...Indeed, a fun mission, with fireworks, dancing and street performers.

Hardly bland.

AcidRelic
11-02-2013, 04:07 PM
As someone who has played every Assassins Creed game I understand the comments IGN made but personal opinions add or detract points also.

I would rank, in my opinion, 1) Assassins Creed 2, 2) Brotherhood, 3) Black Flag, 4) Assassins Creed 3, 5)Assassins Creed 1, and last Revelations. Assassins Creed 1 though gets props for being the first.

Rugterwyper32
11-02-2013, 04:21 PM
It's certainly easier than AC1, but I didn't find it too dumbed down in II. Agreed that it went that way in ACB though. I replayed the whole series over winter/spring, and I could tell I had gotten way better at fighting than I was the first time, as I hardly ever relied on the counter-attack button. I just liked to dart left or right at the last second when he attacked, and then stab them in their exposed side or back. But in ACB they took away that dodge button and instead made it a kick, which just completely took the skill out of fighting, hate how they did that.

That element really ruined ACB for me on my second play-through. It's funny because the first time I played all the games, I regarded ACB as the best. But on my replay as a much more skilled fighter, I hated how simple they made it in ACB. The beginning of the hand-holding that hit its apex in III..

There is still fun to be had in AC2's combat, I agree. It wasn't as dumbed down as ACB got (which honestly has the weakest combat in the series) but I did have issues with it, specially after how AC1's combat worked as well as it did for me. But yeah, the kick in ACB and the kill streaks ended up making it so extremely simple. And the only remotely challenging enemies, Papal Guards, were so rare they might as well not have been there.

This actually makes sense, all Codex Pages were in possessions of Templars. Ergo the side Codex pages also should've been in possessions of Templars. Who we'd assassinate or steal from. Or maybe not just Templars, maybe just some random nobles, traders, collectors, so we'd have an option to buy them, or, well, acquire in a bunch of different ways (chests still could stay for people like collectors of antiquities)

Though what bothers me more is that somehow there's a map of the Codex pages, and it's not just an Animus convention to make it easier for Desmond to find them as Ezio, it's literally mentioned by Caterina. A list of owners would make more sense.

I can agree with that. My main issue was always how somehow there was an exact map of where Codex Pages were and how we were talking blatantly obvious places protected by 4 measly guards. That which you mention would have worked a lot better, I feel.

I can tell I'm a pretty rare specimen here, to say the least. I seem to be one of the very, very few, if not only on these forums, who has AC2 as least favorite and ACR as favorite. Not to say it's not a good game: It's a fantastic game and it brought many aspects into play that are core of the series by now, plus it has some of the greatest cities in the series and some FANTASTIC missions, but those flaws I mentioned in the first page end up bringing it down for me to being my least favorite.

Assassin_M
11-02-2013, 04:27 PM
Okay, i'll do this too. I don't hate any of the games. just like one more than the other..

5: Assassins Creed II: Beautiful setting, amazing soundtrack and some nice side missions. Although the game does aesthetics beautifully, it falls on its face with narrative, character progression, character cast and some missions and terrible downgrade in combat. the narrative is uninspiring, but coherent. it dropped the subtle ambiguity of AC I in favor of a more simple approach to villains. the most boring cast of characters; they seemed to focus more on the amount of people showing up out of nowhere and less on building chemistry and relationships, which hurt the Revelation that some of these relationships are actually pretty....important in later games *cough*cristina*cough* the game also flowed well until it reached sequence 9 and then it became overly repetitive and added unnecessary narrative points that the game could very well have done without.

4: Assassins Creed Brotherhood: a MUCH better AC II in some departments and much worse in others. A bland setting, continued the simple minded direction of the story and same bland set of characters, except wait...we have an even blander antagonist now. The combat was a step up in terms of fun factor, but now it was impossible to die in combat. Ezio FINALLY gets the progression he so sorely missed in AC II and the side missions are the highlight of this game. every side mission served as an independent story in the Borgia dismemberment saga. they all flowed well and were very fun, except that they break immersion sometimes when you do them after the main story since Cesare and Rodrigo are dead.

3: Assassins Creed Revelations: The crowning jewel in the Ezio trilogy. A great protagonist, beautiful setting, ambiguous narrative, nice cast of characters, new and innovative side missions and the start of when I actually started to like Desmond. Revelations has less side missions than ACB, but it just takes the best from AC II and ACB, while adding its own touch. the hookblade added a slightly boring, but nonetheless welcome interactivity to scaling buildings. Bombs added a bit of extra strategy and with the addition of Eagle sense that shows guard routes, well placed use of bombs can work wonders. den defense was a nice change of pace and I had lots of fun doing them. the story finally returned to its roots of ambiguity. Ezio is not the perfect hero he was portrayed as previously. my only complaint is the gangesque presence of the Brotherhood, even though I liked the den defense.

I can't really choose between AC I and AC III right now to take top and second spots (that might change after AC IV, since it's pretty close to taking top spot) i'll just say what I liked and disliked in both games. AC I's freedom and sense of being an Assassin. you had a job. Investigate, report, Assassinate. it flowed well. it could be repetitive, but that would'v been easily fixable had they not threw it away with AC II. lack of side missions and meaningful collectibles also hurt the experience. The combat and its amazing fluidity made up for this, though. the setting is arguably the most immerse, with amazing audio and sound effects that really made you feel like you were there.
AC III had arguably the most innovative addition to the series. Naval combat. it was basically a game inside another game. The side missions were plenty, but some of them were just...there..they had no context and no story behind them whatsoever. The narrative was brilliant, but suffered from focus issues, it was confused about who to focus on, the Revolution? Connor? that dude on the horse? but in the end, it chose to sacrifice the main character in favor of the backdrop. the game design was the BEST in places, but was the worst in others. no need to delve on that much further. good environment, great main character, glorious cast of characters and an innovative addition to gameplay.

Assassin_M
11-02-2013, 04:33 PM
Indeed, a fun mission, with fireworks, dancing and street performers.

Hardly bland.
Oh okay

ACfan443
11-02-2013, 04:33 PM

Precisely why it was terrible mission design. It's supposed a game, not an interactive movie, Paul Revere's ride and the Battle of Concord were an utterly embarrassing embodiment of a game/movie identity crisis. (Amongst other missions, like the dreadful cutscene QTE assassinations).

Farlander1991
11-02-2013, 04:39 PM
BTW, can somebody tell me why the hell they removed the 'automatic walk along the character you talk with' feature from ACR? Do people actually care about that feature? It's not like you've lost control, you can still go somewhere to take a chest nearby for example if you want, but you also could have the walk'n'talk sections of the missions look good instead of weirdly trying to 'stay in formation' all the time, and a chance to study the environments better.

I wouldn't call it THE best new feature, but, honestly, after the walk'n'talk missions of AC2 and ACB it felt like a really nice addition, and I can certainly say that I missed it in AC3.

pirate1802
11-02-2013, 05:13 PM
Eh, there's nothing wrong with wanting an occasional movielike sequences or two in your games, well-crafted set pieces are a pleasure to play. The problem is when control is taken away from the player in order to achieve that movie-esque experience. AC2's flight over venice was a nice movielike seuence yet it didn't take control away from you, you were required to do some "gamey" things which atleast required a bit of challenge. They made you feel as if YOU are doing this flight rather than a movie clip playing. So was ACR's Greek Fire sequence. In other games, Tomb Raider's shootouts are very cinematic, yet it doesn't take control away from you too much. AC3's problem is in the process of making the moment cinematic, your involvement is reduced to "go there. press this button" or "go from this point to this point". And even then, visually neither the Midnight Ride nor the Concord battle were that engaging. They'd probably be included in a documentary or two but can't see those scenes making into a big budget movie.

So in a nutshell, I don't think the desire to make your games more of a cinematic experience is something terrible (unless you want to make Beyond: Two Assassins :rolleyes:), but how the devs go about this endevour. There are ways to make games more cinematic without sacrificing player agency.

roostersrule2
11-02-2013, 05:40 PM
I'm bored so imma go in depth, keep in mind I love all the AC's, well I like AC3 but whatever.

Assassins Creed 3: The game I though was really going to be amazing, the best ever. Well it could have been, it had it everything from a technical standpoint, it had some of the best side missions I've ever seen, the story was very good, the best combat in the series and it took me until my second playthrough but I loved Connor. However it wasn't, almost every new mechanic in the game was under utilised and even some of the old ones were. The cities were boring, the frontier was better but it wasn't diverse enough, not even ambient music would have saved them because of this I really didn't get immersed at all. The story while good was broken and paced terribly, the game locked up for the first hour or two and although Haytham was a brilliant character even he could not save the early part of the game. Then Connor was born and he started well, I was having fun until he became an Assassin, then it just goes downhill from there. The mission design gets even worse with its linearity really standing out and the overall missions were boring and some (the midnight ****ing ride) were just disgraceful. The side characters were for the most part dull, basically every historical person bar G. Washo and Connor's villains and Connor's tribe should have made more appearances (although TOKW made up for this). The side missions were hit and miss, REALLY hit and miss, the Homestead, Captiain Kidd missions and Naval were amazing, the Assassination contracts, courier missions, clubs (although they had some nice moments) and hunting were all underdone and that's putting it mildly. Perhaps the thing that ruined AC3 though was how overhyped it was the devs made it out to be the best game ever and it to me and many others it was the worst AC ever. Especially with how much they cut, the frozen lakes, random events, dynamic world, dynamic civilians, battles, Great Fire of NY, canoes, glyphs were said to be back, so were tombs and it all just added on to AC3's mediocrity. One positive though was the moral ambiguity making a return.

Assassins Creed 1: AC1 has some of the best moments in the series, the first time going to Damascus is in my top 10 AC moments as is the ending of AC which is what really got me into the series. It's beautiful atmosphere, soundtrack and world all led to this being incredibly immersive and bring the Holy Land of the 12th century to life. It's protagonist Altair started off as a real ****, who was badass but as aforementioned, a ****. His transformation from a badass **** to a respectable badass was one of the highlights that complemented this amazing story. The modern day was also really intriguing, when the repetition really started to kick in I played just to get to the next modern day part and although it was super repetitive I was sad when it ended. The repetition was this games main problem though, all the investigations were the same, the assassinations although completely open were also repetitive. The games other big drawback is the lack of things to do, the game world was huge but was severely under utilized.

Assassins Creed Brotherhood: One of the most fun games in the series, was basically a big continuation of AC2 except with a worse story and generic villains but with better gameplay and MP. The games strength was in its side missions, they actually related to the core story. Ezio was probably at his weakest though but still was the badass that everyone knows and loves (LOVES). The game used the Assassins guild more then any other and showed that you weren't just a one man army, although the combat begged to differ, which brings me to my next point. Although the combat was fun and free flowing it was ridiculously easy, like super duper easy. The soundtrack was superb however and the city suffered from being to big and not dense enough. Although Cesare was this series's worst villain, it's never to bad to have a villain you love to hate. The MP was a great addition and it's my favourite MP in the series (yet to try AC4's).

Assassins Creed Revelations: The end of an Era. It wrapped up the two stories of Ezio and Altair in fine style. It had the shortest story although it accomplished a lot, revealing some of the series's biggest secrets. The addition of the hookblade was a good one, the bombs were nice but den defence got boring fast. The side characters were really nice, Yusuf and Sofia were two of the best in the series and the villains had the moral ambiguity back. The Altair sections although short were brilliant I loved every one and it gave him the send off he deserved. I loved the cinematic value of the game and old Ezio was a complete and utter badass. Constantinople is still my favourite city along with Florence, it featured a masterpiece soundtrack and beautiful skyline, it's colour palette was gorgeous. The new connections with the recruits was nice and the tombs were some of my favourite parts in the series. A lack of content and over familiarity really let this one down though. Desmond's sections could have been better and the S16 interactions were wasted, this game did have some beautiful moments and set pieces though.

Assassins Creed 4: Black Flag: The biggest and most fun Assassins Creed. Edwards character is awesome, the side missions are awesome, the customization is awesome, The Jackdaw is awesome and Anto's voice is awesome. The story was probably the weakest in the series though, save for the past 4 hours of it. The modern day is really fun and that mystery is coming back. The world is awesome and so big, so much to do! The side cast it awesome as well, Blackbeard is scary and Vane is a crazy ****er.The hunting is much improved over AC3's and the wildlife as a whole is really quite spectacular. The stealth is the best in the series and the mission design is my favourite in the series, almost as open as AC1 yet has the diversity of the others. The ending was really a beautiful moment and this game had some heart wrenching moments.

Assassins Creed 2: The pinnacle game in the AC series. It improved over every aspect of AC1, the character transformation from a young, brash Florentine noble to mature, badass assassin was a treat and the cities and setting was superb. The side cast was great, with Leo and Mario proving a fan favourites. The story was very good and the ending was a totally WTF moment. The soundtrack was perfect and suited the brilliant setting like no other OST could. I'd write more but it's 2:40am and I could go one for ages with this but AC2 to me is the crowning jewel of the AC series and a true masterpiece.

ajl992008
11-02-2013, 06:28 PM
I might as well have a go at this as well:

6. assassins creed brotherhood: after the great story of the first and second games and all the talk in interviews of this game being as big as ac2 I was expecting the story to be amazing, it sounded so cool, liberating rome the heart of templar influence but what I found was that the story was no where near on par as the previous games, the villians were too simple and boring, ezio was at his worst in my opinion and most of the cast didn't seem to have the same charm they had in ac2, on top of that the main story for me was SHORT. I also felt that the gameplay was worse than ac2 because all the additions while cool made the game a little too easy. The salvaging aspect for me were the side missions which were very good, the biggest flaw for me though was that the main campaign had only 4 main assassinations for which most of them were very closed. overall I would give it 7.8/10

5. assassins creed 1: I enjoyed the setting and the story a lot in this game, I didnt feel like it was repetitive but my main issue was the lack of things to do, helping citizens and collecting flags doesnt really do much for me. overall though the game was still great and I liked the grey morality of it, 8/10

4. assassins creed 3: the gameplay additions made in this game where in my opinion the best in the series and what was the biggest jump between any AC title. the problem for me was that they were not implemented well enough (something ac4 has corrected), I liked connor, the story and the gameplay additions but I disliked the mission design A LOT, the other issue was all the QTE assassinations which killed it for me and also the game's ending, in my opinion the ending itself was perfect but the execution was terrible and could have been done better. but overall it was still a decent game but just very flawed, 8/10.

3. assassins creed 2: amazing changes to gameplay, great setting, great main character, awesome game in general, not more I can say really. 8.5/10

2. assassins creed revelations: I just don't understand the hate for this game, in my opinion it had the best story of the series, it's templars were very interesting for me, the new additions were more useful to me such as the hookblade, bombs and eagle sense, also no one seems to appreciate the more in depth side missions with the assassin apprentices which in my opinion were amazing. I loved altairs missions and desmonds sections too. my only issue is i hoped they made the altair sections maybe 10 minutes longer each and maybe a couple of more assassination targets, also it would have been nice to ave an end scene to see ezio and sofia leave on a ship to italy while bidding farewell to the assassins and if they could have handled the clay/lucy topic better it would have been perfect for me. the sound track was also amazing but overall this game I felt was very special. 9/10

1. assassins creed 4 black flag: this could change as i'm about 1/3 the way through the game but so far it is just perfect for me. amazing world, amazing story, amazing mission design with it being so open ended it is awesome and there are also amazing side missions and gameplay additions. this could change when I finish it I doubt it will fall below second place. 9.5/10

ACfan443
11-02-2013, 06:40 PM
Eh, there's nothing wrong with wanting an occasional movielike sequences or two in your games, well-crafted set pieces are a pleasure to play. The problem is when control is taken away from the player in order to achieve that movie-esque experience. AC2's flight over venice was a nice movielike seuence yet it didn't take control away from you, you were required to do some "gamey" things which atleast required a bit of challenge. They made you feel as if YOU are doing this flight rather than a movie clip playing. So was ACR's Greek Fire sequence. In other games, Tomb Raider's shootouts are very cinematic, yet it doesn't take control away from you too much. AC3's problem is in the process of making the moment cinematic, your involvement is reduced to "go there. press this button" or "go from this point to this point". And even then, visually neither the Midnight Ride nor the Concord battle were that engaging. They'd probably be included in a documentary or two but can't see those scenes making into a big budget movie.

So in a nutshell, I don't think the desire to make your games more of a cinematic experience is something terrible (unless you want to make Beyond: Two Assassins :rolleyes:), but how the devs go about this endevour. There are ways to make games more cinematic without sacrificing player agency.

I don't have a problem with cinematics either, so long as they're used effectively and in moderation, AC3 was too heavy handed in its approach with providing a cinematic experience, to the point where it became unbearable. So much of it was: walk from A to B, trigger a long *** cutscene, repeat. At times there were cutscenes for events/actions which were so incredibly trivial and short, that the presence of a cutscene was just pointless; like Haytham investigating a f***ing barrel.
I think AC3 focused too hard on trying to provide a movie experience rather than a gaming one.

And yeah, Beyond two souls seems to have taken it to the extreme, from what I've seen I struggle to even classify it as a game. I think AC4:BF strikes a very nice balance with cinematic elements and quality gameplay - set pieces in naval forts for example are a fantastic visual supplement, but gameplay is heavily integrated as well. The mission involving tailing a ship through the swamp is another example of good gameplay combined with a fast paced cinematic sequence. Cutscenes in BF are also used when absolutely essential rather than being there for the sake of it, which is a refreshing improvement over its predecessor.

STDlyMcStudpants
11-02-2013, 10:09 PM
The campaign being linear is a good thing..a campaign for the most part is supposed to tell a story..not let YOU tell it
if you want your own stories there is a massive open world for that..
I dont know why people list linear campaigns as a negative....
And PS to whoever cried about me listing more negatives for AC 3 than the rest - making a list of foods doesnt make them the only foods that existed...i made my point short and sweet AC3s weakness was its story and cities...every other ACs weakness was repetitiveness and IMO is enough to make them less than AC3
Again this is my opinion..I respect all opinions except for ones that say ac 3 sucks LOL
None of them suck (except for playthrough #1 of the original AC - but replaying the game after you know how it works fixes that)
It's okay for us all to have different favorites....as a whole
Assassin's Creed is my favorite gaming series period...thats one thing many of us can agree on ;)

Megas_Doux
11-02-2013, 10:29 PM
Constantinople dull??????????????????????

http://www.google.com/url?sa=i&source=images&cd=&docid=ujnSErnO0LYAUM&tbnid=Y6QXmQaQZKQXCM:&ved=0CAUQjBwwAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fdata.whicdn.com%2Fimages%2F345464 61%2Ffunny-gif-man-jump-out-the-window_large.gif&ei=SG51UuKTG9OkkQfAmYGYBg&psig=AFQjCNF6jh_TDr6f-HLOU-bgEJm5N5RBvA&ust=1383514056508081

So fart, it is city in which I feel more "into something", wandering its docks at night while

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=adpdR5kWtRQ

plays in the background, is breathtaking....

pirate1802
11-03-2013, 05:18 AM
Linear campaigns for games which are traditionally linear is a good thing, linear campaigns for traditionally openended games is a bad thing. And I don't think anyone complained about linear campaigns, AC always had that, as in you can't choose the order in which you do the main missions. But linear MISSIONS. The AC1 missions were open ended, and since AC2 it has been chipped down steadily, finally resulting in AC3's cutscene assassinations. Not trying to strike your opinion, STD, just explaining why people list linearity as a negative when it comes to AC missions. I hear AC4 has brought back that freedom.

@ ajl992008 : I don't understand the hate for ACR either. Granted, it was not packed with content like ACB and felt more like a DLC, but that is to be expected given the extremely short dev cycle had. Keeping that in mind, its a beautiful little game. Its an achievement they managed to create among the best AC cities in that short period. And in terms of environment it is right among the best of AC. It had a better story than its more fleshed our brothers (AC2 and ACB) and finally started a trend to return the series to its ambiguous roots that was lost in AC2&B. This game did so much right, and in just 10 months. :|

DovahHunter
11-03-2013, 05:40 AM
IGNorant strikes again. For me it's
1.AC4
2.AC1
3.AC3
4.ACR
5.ACB
6.AC2

roostersrule2
11-03-2013, 05:45 AM
Here's the same thing.

With moving pictures and sounds.

http://au.ign.com/videos/2013/10/31/the-top-6-assassins-creed-games

AC2_alex
11-03-2013, 08:02 AM
I only read IGN because they have Greg Miller, the most unbiased person ever.

Colin Moriarty is freaking awesome too. The most trusted videogame writer in my opinion.

roostersrule2
11-03-2013, 08:05 AM
Colin Moriarty is freaking awesome too. The most trusted videogame writer in my opinion.I was actually joking haha, but I don't hate them like some others. Colin Moriarty made me laugh with his rant about how the ME3 ending shouldn't be changed and because he's in Fallout 3. Greg Millers alright except he's not as funny as he thinks he is, but both are mega PS biased.

AC2_alex
11-03-2013, 08:08 AM
I was actually joking haha, but I don't hate them like some others. Colin Moriarty made me laugh with his rant about how the ME3 ending shouldn't be changed and because he's in Fallout 3. Greg Millers alright except he's not as funny as he thinks he is, but both are mega PS biased.

But they are totally transparent about it. I just always like hearing Colin's opinion. I really like them personally, as well.

edit: and by the way I did think there was a possibility that you were joking. Nevertheless, this is what I believe.

LieutenantJojo
11-03-2013, 01:29 PM
Personally, I find it very hard to rank them, but AC4 definitely takes the cake.

STDlyMcStudpants
11-03-2013, 04:44 PM
Linear campaigns for games which are traditionally linear is a good thing, linear campaigns for traditionally openended games is a bad thing. And I don't think anyone complained about linear campaigns, AC always had that, as in you can't choose the order in which you do the main missions. But linear MISSIONS. The AC1 missions were open ended, and since AC2 it has been chipped down steadily, finally resulting in AC3's cutscene assassinations. Not trying to strike your opinion, STD, just explaining why people list linearity as a negative when it comes to AC missions. I hear AC4 has brought back that freedom.
|

Well I guess my opinion on the series really stems from the fact that Assassin's Creed Revelations was my First AC game..I never got a chance to "miss" open ended missions...but having played all to completion (except AC IV) Only 1 game had non linear missions (as you touched on) - Assassin's Creed 1...so Traditionally AC is very linear when it comes to missions if 4/5 (80%) of their games are...tradition comes from a majority practice..not from origins.
Successors shouldn't be compared to the original, just its predecessor (singular)

But what should be compared is traditions
- Hood
- Hidden Blade
- Social Stealth
- Free Running
- Eagle Vision
- Cities
- Animus
- Eden Shard
- Feathers

IMO this is all that makes an AC game an AC game..everything else is a bonus and shouldn't be marked as a negative.
But when you're missing a tradition (AC3 - Social Stealth and a Good City)
That is when you can start saying hey...what the heck are you guys trying to do with AC?
(That being said - as an AC game AC2 is easily #1, but as a whole - AC 3 is the better game IMO)
But the missions - no...I actually enjoy games with a large amount of cutscenes just as long as my play time is 10x longer

pirate1802
11-03-2013, 05:00 PM
Lol true. If AC3 didn't have the AC in its name I don't think people would have been so critical on it.

lothario-da-be
11-03-2013, 05:05 PM
Lol true. If AC3 didn't have the AC in its name I don't think people would have been so critical on it.
If it was named " American revolution the experience within" it would probably be rated above 95% by almost everyone. including me.

roostersrule2
11-03-2013, 05:29 PM
Lol true. If AC3 didn't have the AC in its name I don't think people would have been so critical on it.AC3's problems had nothing to do with AC.

If it was named " American revolution the experience within" it would probably be rated above 95% by almost everyone. including me.Bugs, boring missions, broken story, removed features, boring cities, some terrible side missions and for most a boring protagonist ruined AC3, I highly doubt any game with these would have a rating 95.

Farlander1991
11-03-2013, 06:02 PM

Sometimes I feel that most criticism towards AC3 comes not from what it is, but from what it clearly had the potential to be.

roostersrule2
11-03-2013, 06:13 PM
Sometimes I feel that most criticism towards AC3 comes not from what it is, but from what it clearly had the potential to be.I agree with this, but it lost it's potential due to it being what it is. The game came out a mess but the hype killed it, to go from what many thought could be one of the best games ever to being one of the biggest disappointments, did not soften the blow.

lothario-da-be
11-03-2013, 06:13 PM
AC3's problems had nothing to do with AC.

Bugs, boring missions, broken story, removed features, boring cities, some terrible side missions and for most a boring protagonist ruined AC3, I highly doubt any game with these would have a rating 95.
I had barely any bugs. I realy enjoyed the story but i understand what you mean with broken, There wasn't that much removed. I realy enjoyed the cities. and if the game was called american revolution the experience the cities would have been excellent. I agree with the side missions. And Connor is AWESOME.
So for me the it would have been a 95+ game.

roostersrule2
11-03-2013, 06:20 PM
I had barely any bugs, i realy enjoyed the story but i understand what you mean with broken, there wasn't that much removed,i realy enjoyed the cities. and if the game was called american revolution the experience the cities would have been excellent. I agree with the side missions. And Connor is AWESOME.I have barely any too but I'm not speaking from my own personal criticism, but the main criticisms I've heard with it. I thought only random events, canoes and the biggest one FROZEN LAKES were removed, but I read some of the articles from before AC3's release and glyphs, tombs, dynamic world (yes Ubi said the world would change and after battles you could go back to see injured troops lingering across the battle field), free roam in Naval (although I suspect this was cut to give AC4 a more wow factor) and more. The main problem with the cities were that they had no spirit, no life, they were plain, the game lacked atmosphere. I like Connor, I actually preferred him to Edward in the early parts of AC4.

MIA SILENT
11-03-2013, 06:30 PM
I thought AC3 was a really good game for the most part.

STDlyMcStudpants
11-03-2013, 07:17 PM
The main problem with the cities were that they had no spirit, no life, they were plain, the game lacked atmosphere.

Agreed...the cities were insanely lifeless... hardly anyone in the streets...and its one of those worlds where you can tell the people are just fillers (GTA, Saints Row, True Crime)
Instead of feeling like these people actually LIVED there (Skryim, AC1-ACR)..that this was their town and you're just passing through...
The world was wrapped around you instead of you being wrapped around the world.
You didn't feel vulnerable in anyway...you didnt get a sense of "I'm one of many stories and the world will not suffer if mine ends too soon"
It was Connor the Magnificent - star of the show.
I hated every part of Boston and New York..so much potential with seasons (wouldve been cool to see fall in the cities) but they just didnt capitalize on it...
But the frontier did make up for it....
The frontier was my favorite AC city to date ;D

SixKeys
11-03-2013, 08:49 PM
I actually laughed out loud and had to rewind when the IGN guy said Constantinople was the least distinct of the AC cities. Say what you want about ACR, but the city was beautiful, end of discussion.

My list, from PERSONAL best to worst (obviously not including AC4 since I haven't played it yet):

1. ACB
2. AC1
3. AC2
4. ACR
5. AC3

I made sure to mention it's a personal list because I know I'm gonna get crap for listing ACB as the best. But I just replayed a few missions from it and once more became convinced that anyone who says the game is ugly or boring must be tripping. I spent hours just walking and climbing around, taking screenshots of gorgeous sunsets and starry night skies, sitting at the top of Tiber Island and watching as the city lights slowly dimmed into a blue night and warm lights started popping up in the distance. This game is so beautiful at times it almost makes me want to cry.

AC1 is still the "purest" AC experience. It's really more of an assassin simulator than a game in the traditional sense. The more gamey elements like flag-collecting and races actually feel out of place compared to the eavesdropping and information-gathering missions. The game is at its best when simply exploring your surroundings as a time tourist.

AC2 is basically ACB with worse graphics, better story and more locations.

ACR's story and characters were unmemorable, there was barely enough content to justify selling it as a full game and they really dropped the ball on the modern day story. Constantinople looks great but feels small. The only saving grace is the beautiful art direction and some fun missions.

AC3 is by far the worst. Terrible mission design, bad pacing, boring characters (except Haytham) and even more boring cities. Let's not even get started with the telepathic AI, trading and crafting, interface design and frustrating parkour. Still haven't finished the game a second time whereas I've finished all the other ones at least twice. Beautiful graphics but the world feels empty. The game was one big ball of wasted potential, basically. Occasionally I still catch glimpses of something far bigger and more ambitious just under the surface, like they had so much more planned than ultimately made it into the game. I'm not just talking about the canoes and frozen lakes, I mean stuff that feels oddly disconnected from the rest. "The Mad Doctor's Castle" is a brilliant location, combining traditional AC puzzles and freerunning with some new mechanics like searching for clues, but there was something else that caught my eye: after Connor has a "flashback" about the events that took place there, his surroundings briefly turn into a 3D-grid as if he actually scanned the place with Eagle Vision. This mission is the only time in the whole game where we see this effect. Before release I remember Alex Hutchinson mentioning these type of 3D elements being planned for the whole DNA tracker. I'm just bringing it up because it's so weird that they left this feature into the game for one single mission while removing it from everywhere else. It's just one example of this inconsistency I sense throughout the whole game. Like some missions were finished way earlier than others and polished to the max, while a lot of stuff feels like placeholders for a missing system. (Why is the Thieves' Club the only one you actually get invited to? You don't even find out it exists unless you happen to pickpocket enough while the other clubs are open automatically right from the start.) Some parts are absolutely brilliant, and then there's stuff that is so terrible you wonder if the devs weren't purposely trolling.

Farlander1991
11-03-2013, 08:56 PM
(Why is the Thieves' Club the only one you actually get invited to? You don't even find out it exists unless you happen to pickpocket enough while the other clubs are open automatically right from the start.)

Not that it changes much, but you get invited to the Brawler Club too after beating up a bunch of people with bare hands. :rolleyes:

RIP_AC
11-03-2013, 10:00 PM
1. AC2 (Does exactly what a sequel should - improves upon every aspect.)
2. AC1 (Was a fresh new experience.)
3. AC:R (Not exactly necessary, but at least it had a new city to roam...)

4. AC3 (Bland setting with an extremely lousy ending.)
5. AC:B (Biggest rehash of the series. Exactly like an AC2 expansion pack except with less thought put into the missions.)
6. AC4 (This should have been called "Sailor's Creed: The Tailing Missions & Other Pointless Adventures.")

Sushiglutton
11-03-2013, 10:22 PM
1) AC:B Best sidecontent and open world gameplay. Introduction of Borgia tower has been copied so many times now and expanded to other Ubi franchises like Watchdogs and Farcry. Rome was beautiful and it was the first game with natural verticality (aka hills) in the city. Best historical buildings. Climbing inside the Pantheon was epic and so was the Colloseum. Story was simple, but entertaining even though it lost track towards the end.

2) AC2 great selection of cities with loads of atmosphere. Many sound additions to AC1 such as assassination contracts, tombs, glyphs etc. Had a wonderful sense of mysticism. To follow Ezio from his youth to a fullblood assassin was the storytelling highlight in the franchise for me :). I liked the Godfather like plot with families, conspiracy, revenge and murder. Perfect fit for the setting.

3) AC1: Still a very beautiful game today. The assassination missions were well designed, but the sidecontent was tedious. Combat is fun once you get the hang of it. Like how minimalistic it is in many ways, even though at the same time it can feel too barebone. Modern day was very exciting and the ending was one of my first jawdropping moments in gaming :).

4) AC3: Lot's of improved mechanics and fantastic additions like naval and the first ever climbable forest. Unfortunately the mission design was simply atrocious. Also the 10h of tutorials did not help. A lot of the sidecontent was pure junk like letter delivery, brainless assassination missions and slowly walking through dark tunnels. There is a great game somewhere in there, but the overall result was a massive, massive disapointment.

5) AC:R: A game filled with really poor creative decisions. Things were added that didn't fit and/or were dreadful to play (tower defense, Desmond missions). At the same time some things carried over from Brotherhood that were extremely tedious to deal with again (like renovating shops). Bombcrafting added some interesting tools to stealth, but the overall execution was a poor with unnecesary complexity and the way the city was littered with bombcrafting stuff.

Sickull
11-04-2013, 01:07 AM
1) AC 4
2) ACB
3) AC 3
4) AC 2
5) AC
6) ACR
I have to agree that Revelations was the lowest point of the series, tried to force myself to play it again recently I just couldn't do it.

Megas_Doux
11-04-2013, 01:13 AM
Tied in the first place AC1 and AC3!

ACI pros: The most Immversive setting, grey story, a very solid set of antagonists, a lot of freedom, fun and, for the franchise standarts, not easy combat.
ACI cons: The most boring side content ever for a game of its kind, EVER!!!!!! I dream about what would been this game with platforming levels, day/night cycle, weather, more variety within its missions and son on. But hey, it was the origin of all this.

AC3 pros: Many new stuff like weather, seasons, tree running, stealth mechanics -poorly story wise implemented though-, the "game within a game" surprising naval gameplay. A solid and original story packed with many of my favorite characters such as Connor, Haytham and Achilles ,which leads me to say how much I like the overall cast in the game. Its fun and not easy combat, A interesting

AC3 Cons: The thing is that Ubisoft overhyped the game, removing many stuff... However its main problem is how linear and restricted the main campaign is. Its mission deign is pretty poor, something that is a shame, considering the newly introduced stealth mechanics and historic stuff just because.
Two cities that almost look the same, a little bit dull those two, however I find NY more than Boston.. And finally some minor decisions like the lack of ambient music that added to the previous thing I mentioned, almost ruined the game for me. By the way, the Modern ending felt pretty rushed.....

Then I have AC2!

Pros: Gorgeous cities, music and art direction Best in the series to date! Full of mystery, tons of new stuff to do like Assassins tombs, glyphs collect weapons renovation that made a lot sense all of that, very freash!!!!!, A little bit more restricted in tems of freedom that AC? Yes,, but with more variety of thins to do, a well achieved balance if you ask me. A story that although cliche, is very well told with a character easy to like, not my favorite by the way.

Cons. Easy and boring combat, a weak templar cast that, not as atrocious as the ACBīs, I still find hard to tolerate on screen. And its biggest flaw in my book, that you cannot repeat missions.....

ACR

Pros: The most beautiful city to date, varied and with the perfect size, a interesting mixture of byzantine and ottoman architecture in there! Good, although short story, very emotional. My favorite Ezio, despite his HUGE mistakes like setting a city on fire and compromising the entire quest because of his personal affairs. Better combat than in ACB game that overall out of its very short cycle, ended up being enjoyable! I loved its ending the most!

Cons: Very Short, a weaker side content than its two predecessors, not many memorable missions Den defense :P.

ACB

Pros: Very good side content like the Da Vinciīs machines and lairs. The Borgias towers are also a very good addition gameplay wise!
Cons: Cartoonish, predictable and cliche story; full of cartonish predictable and cliche antagonists! I cant stand every single scene of theirs. From Juan Borgia, to the french guy, but mostly Cesare Borgia! I mean he couid have been GREAT!!!!! A skilled individual that excelled in both military strategy and close combat according to history books, but instead, he was turned into a spoiled little brat yelling guards all the time, always overreacting, I just cant stand the guy as longs as his "crew" of poorly acted templars!

Rome while grandeur in terms of buildings, overall has very dull appearance, is is like Tuscany and Firenze had a very big ugly baby, I just cant freeroam in that city, something is of huge importance thing to me......

I-Like-Pie45
11-04-2013, 01:18 AM
Don't forget this other ACR con

Relegating the major bombshell that a certain ally is actually a Templar to the DLC

Shahkulu101
11-04-2013, 01:28 AM
Le's get constructive up in this B:

Why ACIV is the best: Incredibly entertaining; fleshed out side missions; the most open ended assassinations in the series and to top it all of, the brilliant naval combat. There is never nothing to do - ever. Stealth can be used more than ever, not only because the game is massive, but because the missions,side activities, side missions, random events and even chests(occasionally) are designed with it in mind. The progression system is fantastic and simple, upgrade your jackdaw or else... How do you upgrade the Jackdaw? You engage with the plethora of fun side content, board ships, storm a fort, steal cargo from a plantation, loot chests, find a white whale - kill it; sell it, and whatever else. Story wise it is solid, Edward's ideals and motives are challenged by the world around him, a world where every man struggles to find his place - made apparent by Edward's plight. I'm up to sequence 8, so I can't comment fully on the story but I suspect it gets amazing towards the end - I can't see it unfold any differently.

Megas_Doux
11-04-2013, 01:31 AM

Relegating the major bombshell that a certain ally is actually a Templar to the DLC

I forgot the L"issue", I do not mind that character being a templar, but the way it was both presented and explained is one of the lowest points in the series! NOTHING beats "Vittoria Agli Assassin" though.

Sushiglutton
11-04-2013, 01:41 AM

Very true, that killed the modern story for me. I was fascinated by it all the way to the shocking ending of Brotherhood. That Revelation didn't adress it in the main game was probably its worst crime. The game should be sent to Haag for that really. The whole animus island concept was also one step too far in the fantasy direction. It was plain silly imo.

luckyto
11-04-2013, 01:54 AM
Le's get constructive up in this B:

Why ACIV is the best: Incredibly entertaining; fleshed out side missions; the most open ended assassinations in the series and to top it all of, the brilliant naval combat. There is never nothing to do - ever. Stealth can be used more than ever, not only because the game is massive, but because the missions,side activities, side missions, random events and even chests(occasionally) are designed with it in mind. The progression system is fantastic and simple, upgrade your jackdaw or else... How do you upgrade the Jackdaw? You engage with the plethora of fun side content, board ships, storm a fort, steal cargo from a plantation, loot chests, find a white whale - kill it; sell it, and whatever else. Story wise it is solid, Edward's ideals and motives are challenged by the world around him, a world where every man struggles to find his place - made apparent by Edward's plight. I'm up to sequence 8, so I can't comment fully on the story but I suspect it gets amazing towards the end - I can't see it unfold any differently.

I'm just past you.

Yep, best AC ever. It's incredible. I'll post more later, but it's really superb.

LoyalACFan
11-04-2013, 04:07 AM
Yeah, I think AC4 may have unseated AC2 for the top spot IMO. The game is just SO huge, and contrasted to GTAV and AC3, pretty much all of the content is actually FUN.

plentybeef
11-04-2013, 09:07 AM
Black flags is my number one because there is so much to do. The diversity is close to perfect. The details were awesome, and colorf. Next gen must be better trap I wise and black flags is on mech gen. So it's going to look twice as awesome.

Ac is my second now that black flags took over and only because it started off the series. It's story was great even during the modern times. The ending is what set it off for me. I felt like it would have multiplayer but it's good as it is.

This brings me to my third which is brother hood only because it adds multiplayer. It's story was great. The side missions were repetitive. But fun all the same. As it was just a rip off of ac2

Ac 3 takes fourth only because it doesn't show enough Conner. I loved his attitude, his demeanor and his hate for the untruthful. Which stems from the dishonesty brought upon by Adams.

And finally ac2 is last in my books because, yes it doesn't come with multiplayer. Other then that I felt it could have been replaced with a defferent character entirely. I mean we didn't get to see Altair grow like ezio and Conner did. But after Ac you could tell it's not anywhere close to the original anymore. And I think this is how the respect for the creed started to fall. It's felt from a different perspective entirely. Maybe if ezio wasn't thrown into the creed I might have grown to like him. But I felt like it was more of a title he threw around to attract the ladies.

Edit- I must not have cared enough about AcR because it didn't make t on my list. By this game I saw the multiplayer maps could have been in AcB. Why was Jerusalem even in AcR when it was in Ac. Only because the first civ discs maybe. The story was good but Ezio was getting played out.

shobhit7777777
11-04-2013, 12:26 PM
I've been playing Black Flags

I won't rank it yet.
Its a MASSIVE improvement from AC3......however it is just that.

Its a fantastic game and I'll review/discuss it later.....however playing the game has just re-enforced the notion that the series is stagnant as hell.

I'm going to list out my fav games into two categories - Narrative and Gameplay

Gameplay:

1. ACR
2. AC1
3. ACB/AC2

Narrative:

1. AC2
2. AC1
3. ACB

AC3 doesn't deserve a place in any of my 'Fav' lists.

Dostoe
11-04-2013, 02:10 PM
I don't want to derail the thread, but I noticed that a couple people posted that the cities in AC3 were lifeless, and I can't but help feel that that cannot be further from the truth. In fact, that was one of the things that I liked most - just how much was going on in the cities and the wide array of activities that the AI engaged in. When you first got off the ship for the first time in Boston on the harbor, people were doing all sorts of random stuff and the city felt so busy and alive. I felt that the wilderness provided a nice contrast.

Another reason that I felt this way was that as I was playing through AC3 my sister was playing through AC2. I was watching her play as it's been a couple of years since I had played it, but I couldn't help but to notice the stark contrast in the atmosphere of the cities. It seemed there were less numbers of NPCs, and they partake in a smaller number of diverse activities. The AC2 locations have been by far my favorite of the series, but the general atmosphere of the cities in AC3 was better.

So I couldn't disagree with that opinion more.

roostersrule2
11-04-2013, 02:17 PM
I don't want to derail the thread, but I noticed that a couple people posted that the cities in AC3 were lifeless, and I can't but help feel that that cannot be further from the truth. In fact, that was one of the things that I liked most - just how much was going on in the cities and the wide array of activities that the AI engaged in. When you first got off the ship for the first time in Boston on the harbor, people were doing all sorts of random stuff and the city felt so busy and alive. I felt that the wilderness provided a nice contrast.Walking into Boston was awesome, to bad that was all scripted and nothing the NCP's did ever came close to that again.

Another reason that I felt this way was that as I was playing through AC3 my sister was playing through AC2. I was watching her play as it's been a couple of years since I had played it, but I couldn't help but to notice the stark contrast in the atmosphere of the cities. It seemed there were less numbers of NPCs, and they partake in a smaller number of diverse activities. The AC2 locations have been by far my favorite of the series, but the general atmosphere of the cities in AC3 was better.True the NCP's did more and there were more of them and there was also animals but that just comes from being a sequel, everything's upgraded. With all those advancements though it didn't really help as the buildings were bland and in the cities there were no fun side missions. The lack of ambient music didn't help and annoying guards and buildings not suited for free-running made traversal a pain.

MIA SILENT
11-04-2013, 02:51 PM
I don't want to derail the thread, but I noticed that a couple people posted that the cities in AC3 were lifeless, and I can't but help feel that that cannot be further from the truth. In fact, that was one of the things that I liked most - just how much was going on in the cities and the wide array of activities that the AI engaged in. When you first got off the ship for the first time in Boston on the harbor, people were doing all sorts of random stuff and the city felt so busy and alive. I felt that the wilderness provided a nice contrast.

Another reason that I felt this way was that as I was playing through AC3 my sister was playing through AC2. I was watching her play as it's been a couple of years since I had played it, but I couldn't help but to notice the stark contrast in the atmosphere of the cities. It seemed there were less numbers of NPCs, and they partake in a smaller number of diverse activities. The AC2 locations have been by far my favorite of the series, but the general atmosphere of the cities in AC3 was better.

I agree with this. Although I do think AC2 had a better overall atmosphere compared to AC3. AC2 had a certain mysterious vibe about it, and I preferred the historical buildings in AC2.

But I did also like the Cities in AC3 and it's not a fact that they're dull and boring like some people make out. I spent a lot of time in the cities of AC3 and grew fond of them. Can't say the same for AC4.

luckyto
11-04-2013, 04:53 PM

I think people are simply saying "lifeless" because there is not a lot to do in them. Because you are correct, the NPC population is one of the most active and versatile group in the franchise, each doing a wide array of activities.

But there isn't a lot to do in them. Half of the side content in the cities was dull and extremely boring. What content was there was too spread out. They were simple too big without enough stuff for the player to get involved in. The size of AC3 desperately called for random events, true random events. When people critique it for being lifeless, I think they are simply using a similar word to "empty" or "boring" without truly thinking about context of the word.

EaglePrince25
11-04-2013, 07:45 PM
Literally just finished Assassin's Creed lV Black Flag and I have to say...Well done Ubisoft, well done. I haven't enjoyed a game this much in a long time, probably not since Assassin's Creed 2. In terms of ranking, i'd still place AC2 first, but Black Flag is a very, very close second. In order it'd go:

Assassin's Creed 2
Assassin's Creed 4 Black Flag
Assassin's Creed Revelations
Assassin's Creed 3
Assassin's Creed Brotherhood
Assassin's Creed

NOTE: This is a list of the best games, not my favorite as that'd place Revelations a bit higher.

On Black Flag, really there's nothing I didn't like about the game. Amazing views, interesting characters, open assassinations, and a streamlined naval combat system (Which is what I was most worried about to be honest, as I hated it in AC3.) Looking at the character of Edward Kenway, I enjoyed playing as him much more than I ever did Connor. He's a different type of character than any other protagonist we've played as up until this point, more selfish and flawed. His character arc is easily one of the best i've seen so far. He starts off selfish and arrogant, and eventually grows out of it through his life choices and the pain they cause him. Altair was humbled at the start of his story, already deep into his arrogance. Ezio was more focused on revenge for the majority of his life, Connor on freedom. Edward was the first to have purely selfish motivations for his actions, and I love the way other characters played into him growing out of that. The deaths of Blackbeard and the rest of his friends were all memorable, and tragic in their own way. The characters were far better developed than Connor's allies were in AC3, and I therefore personally felt something when they died. (And that final vision Edward had of them, sitting at the table near the end, was beautifully done, as was his whole acid trip sequence when Bart betrays him. I'm probably going to search for them on Youtube when i'm done typing all of this.)

This was something of a speed run (Strapped for time at the moment) so I didn't get to fully explore the world as I will on later replays. I didn't get new outfits for Edward, or fully upgrade the ship. I didn't get to explore every island, and I never even got to the whaling, or learned how for that matter, and yet even without doing any of that I was never once bored. There was always something for me to do, some place for me to visit. The world felt so open and vast, in a way it hasn't since AC2. The previous games all felt too small for my liking, and AC3 was a step in the right direction with the Frontier. Now with the ocean and the numerous islands, AC4 has finally delivered. I don't know if i've ever enjoyed taking part in side missions as much as I have with this game, and I also don't know if i've ever used the stealth feature as much in my missions. Funnily enough, the character isn't even allied with the Assassin's for the majority of the game, and doesn't really seem to be one at the end. (He say's he'll return to do that and take care of some things, and considering he apparently trained Haytham to be one, it seems he does indeed become a full fledged member.

That being said however, I personally liked that Edward wasn't an Assassin. It's another way he was separated from his predecessors, who were either born into the Brotherhood or eventually joined it fairly early in life, and eventually rose to the position of leader of their respective Brotherhood's. Edward was more distant from the Assassin's, less trusting of them, and I feel that helped with the overall feel of the game, wherein you're a man who chose to became a pirate and more than anything support the idea of seeking your fortune and embracing your freedom. It makes sense for him to not want to commit to the Assassin Order for a long time, especially as their goals don't actually mesh with his, or his lifestyle.

Skill wise, just looking at raw talent alone, Edward's probably the best of all the playable Assassin's, being able do duplicate the standard and advanced Assassin feats with no formal training. His fighting style was similar to, but still different than Connor's (Connor being the character i've enjoyed fighting with the most.) He's able to dual wield, yet he has a different feel about him, seems slower, but no less brutal. Like with the outfits, I didn't upgrade Edward's arsenal to the fullest, so I expect to be able to do more once I replay the game in a few weeks time.

If there's one complaint I have, it's only that Edward's story seems wrapped up for the most part, with the novel and final ending of the game, so I fear I may not get to play as him again. Funnily enough, this is the exact opposite of how I felt at the end of AC3. Connor was in his mid to late 20s and the fate of the Native Americans is common knowledge, I felt those two things alone made it likely we'd get another game featuring him, just like Ezio did (And he was older than Connor at the end of his first game) I'm still convinced another game will be put out for Connor eventually anyways. Edward though i'm not sure if they'll be able to fit one in, though he did again say he would return so there's that.

The Sage...the reveal wasn't really amazing per say, but it was decent and a nice touch to the whole Juno storyline. Considering the events that took place between her and Desmond at the end of 3, I definitely expected her to receive more focus, so i'm interested to see what the next game does with her.

Nothing more to say, except that I really loved this game and can't wait to play it again, hopefully being able to experience even more than I did this time.

DinoSteve1
11-04-2013, 07:50 PM
IGN has it almost right just swap AC3 and ACR and it will be perfect.

riftsNglyphs
11-04-2013, 07:52 PM
IGN has it almost right just swap AC3 and ACR and it will be perfect.

there's nothing right or perfect about ign

DinoSteve1
11-04-2013, 07:56 PM
lol, well they do on occasion get something right, it must be like winning the lotto for them.

riftsNglyphs
11-04-2013, 08:39 PM
might as well rank mine

aciv
ac2/acb
ac3
ac1
acr

AdrianJacek
12-31-2013, 02:00 PM
and

"Assassinís Creed IVís more lighthearted pirate setting"
"The game also benefits from a much more playful story that doesn't get bogged down in politics and melodrama."

Oh boy. I don't want to sound like a snob, but... oh, f*ck this! I MUST be a snob for a while! Seems like they belong to the crowd that only plays AC games for the stabby-stab-stab action and not to experience the stories, characters and world-building. Ugh. Makes me sick. And you know what? AC2 and ACB probably have the weakest ancestor stories in the whole series (besides the DS/PSP games but I don't care about them, I'll just read a brief summary in the AC Encyclopedia or the Internet, thank you very much.) Granted, I still like AC2 and ACB. Not as much as AC1, ACR & AC3 in terms of story but still.
And I do mean THE story. THE story of Assassin's Creed. Not just some random stories of guys in white hoods who stabbed a bunch of people in various cities but THE story about the conflict of Assassins and Templars across the agaes, THE story about Those Who Came Before, THE story of Animus users who experience the lives of their ancestors and experience that conflict first-hand.
Okay, okay maybe I'm taking this a bit too serious. :P
Anyways, about AC2 and ACB - if it wasn't for Desmond, "his" assassin cell and his misadventures both outside and inside the Animus I don't think I would care about 2&B all that much. I probably wouldn't even buy ACB if I realized AC2-onwards the games would ditch the Animus.
---
"Assassinís Creed II improves on virtually every element of the so-so original. Three huge, distinct Renaissance Italy cities..."
What? Where did they find that third city? Do they mean Rome where we only go to explore the Tiny Wall of Italy? San Gimignano? It doesn't really count as a major city and if it did - what about Forli? It pretty much got the same amount of content as SG, especially with the DLC that only had to add those 6 story missions.
"ACIII - The overwrought story and opening tutorials take nearly 10 hours to truly turn players loose on the world."
I didn't feel the story was overwrought at all. And wasn't AC2 kinda like that? You just went from a Main Mission to another Main Mission. Assassinations opened in Sequence 5. And besides that there wasn't all that side stuff to do. I guess you could always find some feathers or buy some things but there were barely any side quests besides Assassinations and the Tombs. Okay, there were the Truth files but that's Desmond content so if you're a Desmond hater you can't count that. AC2 probably also had the least story-related side quests (no, AC1 didn't really have real side quests, so I don'y count that stuff). Think about it - ACB - everything was about stopping the Borgia and rebuilding Rome. ACR - while Side Missions did't have anything to do with the race for Altair's Keys they still were about Ezio's role as the mentor. Important, character-building stuff. AC3 - Homestead. Oh my God, the Homestead. It felt like Connor's second life when he isn't fighting the Templars. His role as the Captain of the Aquila in Naval Contracts and chasing Biddle. His role as the person who will rebuild the Colonial Brotherhood in Liberation Missions. And as a bonus - the Kidd's Treasure quest that, in the end, connects to TWCB. And to those who complain about the story in AC3 and only cared about the Main missions - Go back and play the game properly, with ALL Homestead quests. If it was up to me, I would've made them mandatory.
And to me - the fact there are so many "tutorials" only shows how much variety the game has. Besides, those "tutorials" feel very organic in my opinion, on par with "proper" missions later in the game. You could eaisly take some random Haytham mission, remove the instructions and some dialogue and put it somewhere later on. Is the Boston Tea Party not the kind of stuff you do in Johnson's Errand?

oliacr
12-31-2013, 02:04 PM
AC 1 the least favorite. Maybe because its the first and was created in 2007.

Honey-McBadger
12-31-2013, 02:24 PM
Great post, EaglePrince25. I agree with so much of what you said I don't have much to add.

Funnily enough, the character isn't even allied with the Assassin's for the majority of the game, and doesn't really seem to be one at the end.
If they had more time, the plan was to include investigations in sequence 12. I think if they had managed to include those, the feeling that Edward had become an Assassin would have been more present. (To anyone who has read more than two of my posts, I realise that I'm a broken record.)

LieutenantRex
12-31-2013, 03:10 PM
1. Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood - I had fun. That's the main reason you play a game. To have fun.
2. Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag - Same as above.
3. Assassin's Creed I - Challenging gameplay, and my favorite Assassin is the hero.
4. Assassin's Creed III - Refined combat, unique setting, and thought out story.
5. Assassin's Creed II - Engaging atmosphere.
6. Assassin's Creed: Revelations - Beautiful city, nice closure, and third best ending.

KingNova7
12-31-2013, 04:28 PM
AC: Brother Hood
AC4
AC2
AC3
AC: Revelations

I use to love AC3 until I realized just how much I actually hated it....

Pandassin
12-31-2013, 10:10 PM
AC4 is definitely my favourite, with AC3 following that.

I think I'm the only AC fan who just didn't enjoy AC2, yet adored AC3.

AC4 is a winner though (in my opinion.)

Will_Lucky
12-31-2013, 11:15 PM
ACR
AC4
AC2
ACB
AC1
AC3

Thats my personal opinion at least.

Hans684
12-31-2013, 11:32 PM