PDA

View Full Version : Is AC4: black flag worse than ac3? (NO spoilers please)

rupok2
10-31-2013, 11:09 PM
I have been hearing mixed opinions about the game. I been hearing things like less focus on story of the assassins and that the story is weaker than past games. I was extremely disappointed with AC3, not only the ending but because the story didn't flow well in my opinion. The reason I play AC in the first place is the story, the gameplay is always so similar that it has become stagnant, so a story as good as ac2 would be the main reason for me to play the game. I am a pc guy so I didn't get the game yet. Give me your thoughts so I can decide whether to preorder or just skip the game since people are saying that its not Assassins creed anymore, just a shell of its former self.

pineal_gland
10-31-2013, 11:26 PM
The assassin and templar conflict feels a lot better than in AC3.
The ending of the game is the most boring one of the series.
The modern-day hacking puzzles are a really bad version from the glyph puzzles in AC2 and ACB.

Wolfmeister1010
10-31-2013, 11:30 PM
You seriously heard wrong, since this game has received WAY better reviews from all review sites and magazines other than gameinformer. The critics love this game, do not know where you got the idea that they were very mixed around it. Sure, a common complaint from some critics is the story,but they say themselves that the massive fun open world more than makes up for it

Legendz54
10-31-2013, 11:30 PM
NO it is not worse than AC3.. AC4 as of now is one of the bet open world experiences an AC has delivered. The game delivers what it promises with a massive filled up world with lots of stuff to do, and if you want great story too then get it.

rupok2
10-31-2013, 11:38 PM
How is the story compared to Ac2 and brotherhood? I personally think those were the epitome of the AC storyline.

Legendz54
10-31-2013, 11:52 PM
The story in this game is one of the most emotional... especially the end and epilogue you get this amazing sense of DE JA VU

The only thing that might get to people is that you are a pirate for most of the game but I didn't mind it as it has it's advantages since you get awesome character development from Edward and all the other characters he meets

LoyalACFan
11-01-2013, 12:05 AM
How is the story compared to Ac2 and brotherhood? I personally think those were the epitome of the AC storyline.

It's better. FARRRRRR better. But then again I thought AC2's story was just OK, and Brotherhood's was an atrocity, so take that as you will.

scooper121s
11-01-2013, 12:36 AM
The story in this game is one of the most emotional... especially the end and epilogue you get this amazing sense of DE JA VU

The only thing that might get to people is that you are a pirate for most of the game but I didn't mind it as it has it's advantages since you get awesome character development from Edward and all the other characters he meets
I'm still sobing over that Sequence 7 mission

MIA SILENT
11-01-2013, 12:42 AM
In one way, yes. I honestly felt the combat in AC3 was better. Seemed to flow better and had better animations. You might think differently though.

LoyalACFan
11-01-2013, 12:43 AM
You seriously heard wrong, since this game has received WAY better reviews from all review sites and magazines other than gameinformer. The critics love this game, do not know where you got the idea that they were very mixed around it. Sure, a common complaint from some critics is the story,but they say themselves that the massive fun open world more than makes up for it

After actually getting a taste of the story for myself (on sequence 5 right now) I can say with even more certainty that the IGN reviewer was tripping balls. He made it sound like the story is all lighthearted and adventurey like Hollywood pirate movies, and it's most assuredly not.

Wolfmeister1010
11-01-2013, 02:52 AM
After actually getting a taste of the story for myself (on sequence 5 right now) I can say with even more certainty that the IGN reviewer was tripping balls. He made it sound like the story is all lighthearted and adventurey like Hollywood pirate movies, and it's most assuredly not.

A lot of the reviewers were tripping balls! Like the gameinformer reviewer who said the naval combat was "all over the place" and "fell apart" often.

?

Lonnie_Jackson
11-01-2013, 03:23 AM
Watched up to sequence 5 with my brother playing (Getting PS4 version day one) and I must say as a die hard Ezio fan... Edward has taken the top! The story is fresh and the character grows on you as does Adewale. To be honest so far it is shaping up to be my favorite in the series! I actually stopped watching him play and am now heading home so I don't ruin it for myself any further. Man this wait is killing me!

I-Like-Pie45
11-01-2013, 03:34 AM
Can't be as bad as AC2 or ACB, the lowpoints of the series.

ZAMBIA449
11-01-2013, 11:43 AM
NO it is not worse than AC3.. AC4 as of now is one of the bet open world experiences an AC has delivered. The game delivers what it promises with a massive filled up world with lots of stuff to do, and if you want great story too then get it.

This.

lothario-da-be
11-01-2013, 12:27 PM
I just finished sequence 7 and the story is good. All characters are interesting and there is an assassin brotherhood. So far they didn't apear that much, but more then ac3 at least. if you don't mind the pirate theme the story is good. it can sometimes feel a bit all thrown together but so far i realy injoyed it. Don't expect deep templar dialogue though.

RIP_AC
11-02-2013, 09:53 PM
Folks claimed AC1 was repetitive, yet this game is tedious beyond belief unless you like the ship missions from AC3. It marks the first game in the series that I didn't even care to finish. What really made AC special in the first place is the parkour element in conjunction with interesting semi-historical architecture. Not only have the gameplay mechanics been stagnant since AC2 (which is still by far the best), but the studio has now almost entirely lost sight of what made the series great in the first place by revolving the game around a novelty feature from the prior installment. It's as if they're trying to cover up how over-saturated the series has become due to yearly reiterations. For the reputable sake of a once great IP, I hope AC takes a much needed rest.

FortiPlex
11-02-2013, 10:12 PM
The main critique people had with AC1 was how repetitive it was, yet this game is tedious beyond belief unless you like the ship missions from AC3. Honestly AC4 is the first game in the series that I didn't even care to finish. What really made AC special in the first place is the parkour element in conjunction with interesting semi-historical architecture. Not only has the gameplay mechanics been stagnant since AC2, but they've lost sight of what made it great in the first place by revolving the game around a novelty feature from the prior game. It's as if they're trying to cover up how over saturated the series has become due to yearly reiterations. It's truly time for AC to take a long rest.

That is actually false. (not going against your opinion) but the AC series is not famous for it's awesome parkour elements surrounding historical architectures. My first game I have ever played in the AC series was the first one. It, for some reason, didn't feel repetitive because of the storyline. Which is weird because gameplay is the major point in any game, regardless of storyline. But I just really loved the plot twists and the story-telling throughout the series. In AC4, the developers brought a deeper story within the character himself and less on important factors such as the Assassin's Brotherhood. But it still created a larger situation regarding to the templars and Edward himself.

Now that AC4 has an awesome plotline, where is the gameplay? It is everywhere. You don't need to hop on a ship and do everything. You can jump off of it and venture forth into islands and towns. Do side quests and skin animals for character upgrades! AC4 brings everything we love about the AC series and puts it together in one nice piece of pie. The best part of the game is not the plot or the gameplay, but how free it is. It is not a linear game like AC3 or other games. You can finish missions your way and explore the Caribbean in your own haste.

If Ubisoft continues down this route and not the route they took on AC3, then the series will just continue being a thrill-ride.

Raibuscus
11-02-2013, 10:13 PM
Best game in the series.
I just finished it, I applaud Darby for the story. I loved it sooooo much, I can't get over it.
I'm going to be watching a walktrough from a random guy just to know what he feels, etc... xD

ACfan443
11-02-2013, 10:54 PM
Miles better than AC3.
With regards to the story, the presence of the Assassin Brotherhood has never been stronger. However, in spite of this I've never felt so disconnected from being an assassin. Honestly, the bulk of the story concentrates so much on his pirate shenanigans that the Assassin-Templar conflict is barely touched upon and is more of a sub plot rather than the main focus.

Other parts of the story are a little disjointed imo, the beginning of the game felt a little rushed and a few things are not explained properly. But other than that, the overall narrative is superior to AC3's.

RIP_AC
11-02-2013, 11:12 PM
That is actually false. (not going against your opinion) but the AC series is not famous for it's awesome parkour elements surrounding historical architectures.
No, actually it is the one aspect that set it apart. The freeform fluidity of the traversal was far beyond anything seen before in a game (and still has its own unique "feel"). It is the spiritual successor to the platformer, Prince of Persia, after all. Plenty of games have intriguing stories to draw the player in. Not to mention, it's pretty evident from the ending of AC3 that it wasn't exactly well thought out for the long run.

Now that AC4 has an awesome plotline, where is the gameplay? It is everywhere. You don't need to hop on a ship and do everything. You can jump off of it and venture forth into islands and towns. Do side quests and skin animals for character upgrades! AC4 brings everything we love about the AC series and puts it together in one nice piece of pie. The best part of the game is not the plot or the gameplay, but how free it is. It is not a linear game like AC3 or other games. You can finish missions your way and explore the Caribbean in your own haste. Problem is it's not one nice piece of a pie, it's fragmented little sections separated by a vast ocean that you're forced to traverse. Furthermore, I couldn't care less about skinning animals or upgrading that darn ship. How about finally improving upon the weak combat or the repetitive tailing missions? In fact, I'm approximately 1/4 the way through the main story and all I've done so far is bland tailing missions and streamlined ship battles. Truth is, all they've been doing is covering up broken bones with a band-aid. They can throw in all the poor man's versions of other genre gameplay mechanics such as RTS or first person platforming, but it won't fix the fundamental core flaws that are practically just as evident as they were in 2007. However, I'm sure there are plenty of people such as yourself that see justification in quantity over quality.

Landruner
11-03-2013, 12:52 AM

@ Wolfmeister1010 - Critics are also mostly for the repetitive tasks you have in the game and the lack of imagination from the design of most of the missions that ALAS are pretty much the same than the previous games of the series. At least for the ones that wanted to be fair and honest with the game.

For responding to that thread No you heard wrong or people were not objectives AC4 improved comparing to AC3 - AC4 is a better game, but not the best one in the AC series

Landruner
11-03-2013, 01:26 AM
No, actually it is the one aspect that set it apart. The freeform fluidity of the traversal was far beyond anything seen before in a game (and still has its own unique "feel"). Plenty of games have intriguing stories to draw the player in. Not to mention, it's pretty evident from the ending of AC3 that it wasn't exactly well thought out for the long run.

Problem is it's not one nice piece of a pie, it's fragmented little sections separated by a vast ocean that you're forced to traverse. Furthermore, I couldn't care less about skinning animals or upgrading that darn ship. How about finally improving upon the weak combat or the repetitive tailing missions? In fact, I've played the main story for six or seven hours and all I've done so far is bland tailing missions and streamlined ship battles. Truth is, all they've been doing is covering up broken bones with a band-aid. They can throw in all the poor man's versions of other genre gameplay mechanics such as RTS or first person platforming, but it won't fix the fundamental core flaws that are practically just as evident as they were in 2007. However, I'm sure there are plenty of people such as yourself that see justification in quantity over quality.

I understand what you try to say above, but that is the problem with AC 1 - We were told back in some year 2006 during the game development that the game was going to be Huge with a lot of content and things to do besides Killing and the Assassinations were going to be at a very high level of intensity... - we will have to investigate to know about them in order to get close to our targets and killing them in different points of their routines (could be outside in the streets, inside their quarter, on the market or a secret underground hideout) - If you fail the first time, you will have to find them because they are hiding in some part of the cites because they know they are a potential target and blabla) ...In fact, post release in turned that the investigation parts were just repetitive tasks over and over, the hide and seek with the target tuned into being forced to kill the target in some specific point, and being just "desynchronized" if you fail, and it turned as well that the side activities were just collecting 420 flags and killing some Templars waiting for us around the cities.

AC2 improved over the first one, and it added a lot of extra contents, some interesting & added some economic system because Ezio was a banker. ACB extended the gameplay of AC2 took it crazy but fun, ACR filled up the potential fun but it took it away after release, AC3 that did not bring much on the table, except that the "mass of gamers won't buy the hype and soup for the next one My opinion AC3 should been an animated movies. AC4 innovates, but once again, the depth of the expectation is not there...Too much hype, too Hope, and small delivery - However I still enjoyed any of the game from that Franchise, I love the AC series.

UKassassinsfan
11-07-2013, 04:19 AM
I personally loved the game, however it wasn't an AC game for me! I did love sailing and being a pirate and I agree that the franchise can't keep repeating itself! However I think that killing off Desmond was a huge mistake, although sometimes his story was slightly dull he was THE assassin! Like the glue that linked all the assassins (I love how in Ac2 there is a lot of mention to Altair and I think people loved how ezio, Desmond and Altairs story all linked in the modern day story. I genuinely hated the modern day parts to this game, first person was a mistake, but most of all it felt very unfulfilling. I was always fascinated by the modern story and how precursor tech helped shape history but I feel like the game kinda has lost it's essence.
Although I loved the Edward story and his ending was very pleasing I felt that the game was definitely pirates with some assassins whereas it should overall be more about assassins IMO.
I did love the game loads and I could list all the positives everyone has been saying but I think the game was an anticlimax, and now with the modern assassins stuff there really isn't a way back to all cool secret naive Desmond stuff. Alas I shall always be an avid fan of the series and continue playing. Give the game an 8/10.

GreatBeyonder
11-07-2013, 06:02 AM
Story-wise, I think Connor's was more epic , thought-provoking, and emotional. I like Edward, but its much more of a sidestory than anything. Altair, Ezio, and Connor saved countries while discovering harsh but poignant truths about the world. Edward just made an *** of himself for several years in the most epic fashion before finally deciding that killing people for money may not be the best career option. He doesn't even really become an assassin until MAYBE the very end, and spends just as much time hanging out with Templars.

BATISTABUS
11-07-2013, 06:27 AM
I can tell you that the story is better than AC2's. The style of the story is more in that vein, but with internal conflict (of Edward) and interesting villains.

monteiro416
11-07-2013, 06:43 AM
Story-wise, I think Connor's was more epic , thought-provoking, and emotional. I like Edward, but its much more of a sidestory than anything. Altair, Ezio, and Connor saved countries while discovering harsh but poignant truths about the world. Edward just made an *** of himself for several years in the most epic fashion before finally deciding that killing people for money may not be the best career option. He doesn't even really become an assassin until MAYBE the very end, and spends just as much time hanging out with Templars.

My thoughts EXACTLY. As I've said in a different thread, Edward's redemption came too quickly and too late. It just didn't feel like an assassin game so much as an apathetic outside perspective.