PDA

View Full Version : ACIV: The Little Things :)

Wolfmeister1010
10-31-2013, 03:55 AM
Remember when I made that thread talking about how the "little things" that they add to video games really makes a huge difference? I mean, things like Connor geting into a more comfortable position after staying motionless in the trees for a bit, or stores having unique, different names on the signs.

Let us all take a moment to appreciate and list some of the little details the dev team put into ACIV. I have a few to start.

1. WAY more npc chatter in the world.
2. Enemies react differently based on where you shoot them. Considering ubisoft lacks the physics engine of games like GTA, it would have been expected for them to do the same "lurch forward" as in previous ACs when recieving a non fatal shot.
3. During boarding, enemies open and climb out of the lower deck, try to cut the lines your crew has thrown, and engage in long range firearm battles with your crew. They could have easily have just made the enemies just do nothing but stand still or fight you.
4. Ropes: extrnely difficult to program the player to use in game, and just as difficult to program the crew to throw them and pull the ship in closer in real time.
5. There are way more powder barrels placed around the cities, just for FREAKING FUN!
6. Instead of just looking like they submit to the blows like in AC3, at the beginning of combo attacks, the enemies now appear to try to block the attacks. Does not affect gameplay at all, but is a wonderful aesthetic feature.
7. Animals such as dolphins roam the seas, unhuntable, but a glorious aesthetic.

I would have considered the crouching a little detail as well. Does not need to be a gameplay feature imo, just a nice aesthetic. But hey! What can ya do? Maybe next game!

What little details have you discovered so far in your open world West Indies adventures?

scooper121s
10-31-2013, 04:29 AM
I agree with every single one!

One thing I like to add: 50 odd different sea shanties that are randomly picked

SneakierNote
10-31-2013, 04:36 AM
I got 2 close 2 a barrel and blew it up edward did this crazy thing. He did not take damage but he stagered and held his ears ( like you would do irl) was very cool.

Wolfmeister1010
10-31-2013, 05:11 AM
I got 2 close 2 a barrel and blew it up edward did this crazy thing. He did not take damage but he stagered and held his ears ( like you would do irl) was very cool.

Really?! THAT is cool! :)

roostersrule2
10-31-2013, 06:30 AM
http://au.ign.com/articles/2013/09/30/100-little-things-in-gta-5-that-will-blow-your-mind

When AC reaches that level, call me.

ACLexter
10-31-2013, 07:29 AM
http://au.ign.com/articles/2013/09/30/100-little-things-in-gta-5-that-will-blow-your-mind

AC is a great franchise. I agree why not make it to that level. even the tiny things.

roostersrule2
10-31-2013, 08:09 AM
AC is a great franchise. I agree why not make it to that level. even the tiny things.Indeed, little things make games big. R* are the king of little things, it's evident in GTA V and RDR. If AC ever reaches that level of detail I'll be very happy.

mrgrimezHD
10-31-2013, 09:06 AM
Personally I like the interaction with the Developers with their Games / Fans, has anyone else took the time out and read the Animus Profiles of each Character? I'm betting the Hardcore AC fans will have destroyed that already but they will know what I'm talking about. It just shows they're gamers too and they aren't just Robots which have lost their roots by pumping out crap games just to earn some cheddar.

You'll read a biography / description about a certain Character and then you'll see a Note from one of the Team chiming in with their own opinions of said Character. I know it's nothing mind blowing but still, gotta enjoy the little things. Right?

Is it me or does Edward feel more fluid in his day to day animations? I notice it a lot more with climbing then any other Protagonist from the AC Series... and that's saying something. I can't put my finger on it but I feel more "connected" to Edward also.

lothario-da-be
10-31-2013, 09:31 AM
I realy enjoy that all the little things make ac4 feel like ac4 and not like ac3.5 .

chibi_andy
10-31-2013, 10:58 AM
I agree with every single one!

One thing I like to add: 50 odd different sea shanties that are randomly picked

lol i managed to get the drunken sailor song :P its now one of my fav songs to listen to, though getting the crew to sing that song can take a while when trying to cycle through those songs

Nitrotoluene
01-11-2014, 02:58 PM
I like how Edward's knees twitch slightly as he stands still on the deck of Jackdaw. It's like he's an excited kid doing a little dance to some music in his own head. It's not a feature, probably an animation/physics glitch, but funny to watch.

I frequently find myself stopping in the middle of a quest just to admire some of the 3D artwork. Like the parrot in the cage at the drunken pirate's tent on Great Inagua. They didn't have to make that tiny bit of scenery so realistic but they did. A huge amount of care for detail has gone into this game and some of us appreciate it.

Cornik22
01-11-2014, 07:23 PM
Here's my list of little crazy things to do in the game just for the fun of it. Try them and then tell me what you think ;)

1- Go to one of the big cities (Havana and Kingston work great), annoy as many soldiers as you can near the port and then let them chase you as you go back to your ship. Enjoy as your crew engage in an epic fight with the soldiers when they try to board the Jackdaw.

2- Find a place with 8 to 10 soldiers close to each other (I really like Prins house, as an example). Use the sleeping darts against all of them. Now, quickly pick up their swords one by one and hide them far from the area. When they get up, start a fight and make sure you have your fists selected. Itís like the tavern fights, only harder!

3- Go to a plantation, hide close to a group of soldiers and then shoot as many slaves as possible with the berserk darts. Enjoy as the slaves "revolt" against their owners punching the hell out of them. If you want to make things easier for the rebels, you can try hiding the soldierís weapons first (like in the previous idea) or just put them to sleep. Either way, It will be hilarious.

4- Use the sleeping darts against one of those groups of 4 to 5 soldiers. Now from the distance (works great if you're on a rooftop) shoot the berserk dart against some random civilian walking close to them, and enjoy as the civilian shouts and kicks the soldiers on the ground.

5- If you shoot a crocodile with the berserk dart while there are soldiers in the area, they will automatically get closer to the predator (for some unknown reason). Enjoy as the crocodile eats them one by one!

6- This is not an easter egg, but more of a glitch. SPOILERS!! Replay sequence 11 memory 01 (To Suffer Without Dying) Now find Rackamís body to the right of the map . Shoot him with a sleeping dart and he will fall off the cage. Now shoot him with the berserk dark, and he will come back from the dead to fight you as the undead Rackam END OF SPOILERS!!

7- Find a courier. Instead of chasing him, if you shoot him with a sleeping dart youíll be able to pickpocket the body without killing him. As soon as you finish, he will get up and walk away like nothing happened. If you shoot him with a berserk dart and are close enough, he will fight you with his sword. If not, he will fight against any soldier that is close.

There are many more, all we have to do is use our imagination! ;)

Hans684
01-11-2014, 08:17 PM
Here's my list of little crazy things to do in the game just for the fun of it. Try them and then tell me what you think ;)

5- If you shoot a crocodile with the berserk dart while there are soldiers in the area, they will automatically get closer to the predator (for some unknown reason). Enjoy as the crocodile eats them one by one!

6- This is not an easter egg, but more of a glitch. SPOILERS!! Replay sequence 11 memory 01 (To Suffer Without Dying) Now find Rackam’s body to the right of the map . Shoot him with a sleeping dart and he will fall off the cage. Now shoot him with the berserk dark, and he will come back from the dead to fight you as the undead Rackam END OF SPOILERS!!

This is something worth trying, suicide soliders and undead Rackam.

ziljn
01-11-2014, 09:25 PM
My favorite little thing is when one of your crew is roping over to board the enemy's ship but just sails right over the deck into the water on the other side. Cracks me up every time.

MasterAssasin84
01-11-2014, 09:29 PM
I thought it was very Funny when Edward said to Mary Reed " So how is it your woman ? and she replied " Christ Edward does that really need Answering !!

Fatal-Feit
01-11-2014, 09:42 PM
I love how Rackam and Anne makes funny appearances in cutscenes that sometimes doesn't involve them.

Kaschra
01-11-2014, 11:04 PM
6- This is not an easter egg, but more of a glitch. SPOILERS!! Replay sequence 11 memory 01 (To Suffer Without Dying) Now find Rackam’s body to the right of the map . Shoot him with a sleeping dart and he will fall off the cage. Now shoot him with the berserk dark, and he will come back from the dead to fight you as the undead Rackam END OF SPOILERS!!

I just tried this one out... oh my god, it's hilarious xD

Kagurra
01-11-2014, 11:33 PM

If only the online component, the mainstay of the game, was any good whatsoever...

Wolfmeister1010
01-11-2014, 11:34 PM

1- Go to one of the big cities (Havana and Kingston work great), annoy as many soldiers as you can near the port and then let them chase you as you go back to your ship. Enjoy as your crew engage in an epic fight with the soldiers when they try to board the Jackdaw.

2- Find a place with 8 to 10 soldiers close to each other (I really like Prins house, as an example). Use the sleeping darts against all of them. Now, quickly pick up their swords one by one and hide them far from the area. When they get up, start a fight and make sure you have your fists selected. It’s like the tavern fights, only harder!

3- Go to a plantation, hide close to a group of soldiers and then shoot as many slaves as possible with the berserk darts. Enjoy as the slaves "revolt" against their owners punching the hell out of them. If you want to make things easier for the rebels, you can try hiding the soldier’s weapons first (like in the previous idea) or just put them to sleep. Either way, It will be hilarious.

4- Use the sleeping darts against one of those groups of 4 to 5 soldiers. Now from the distance (works great if you're on a rooftop) shoot the berserk dart against some random civilian walking close to them, and enjoy as the civilian shouts and kicks the soldiers on the ground.

7- Find a courier. Instead of chasing him, if you shoot him with a sleeping dart you’ll be able to pickpocket the body without killing him. As soon as you finish, he will get up and walk away like nothing happened. If you shoot him with a berserk dart and are close enough, he will fight you with his sword. If not, he will fight against any soldier that is close.

Thank you for this. These are some of the most inspired ideas I have ever heard! I will definitely have fun with all of these! :)

Kagurra
01-11-2014, 11:43 PM
Thank you for this. These are some of the most inspired ideas I have ever heard! I will definitely have fun with all of these! :)

Especially the Rackam thing. That's super funny.

predatorpulse7
01-12-2014, 10:03 PM
Sea Shanties are absolutely awesome and they lively up the long voyages.

The Legendary ships were great as well, wish there were more of them.

As other people have mentioned, the world feels more lively when you are in cities.

The chaos that happens on deck in a board. Especially when I hit my own guys because of the crowding.

Getting a sniper to hit another sniper by standing next to him so that he is in the line of sight. Hilarious.

How the crew hail you when you come back on th ship or how they yell "captain's dunking himself" when you go for a swim.

How there can be too much smoke in a ship battle. Seriously, I don't know if it's the physix, volumetric fog or whatever but sometimes the smoke takes a 3-4 seconds to go away and the added vulnerability feels awesome in a fight since most ship battles get way too easy once you are halfway through upgrades.

The way the peaceful wildlife moves away from you, like with the crabs or flamingos.

The water. At the shore it's absolutely gorgeous.

roostersrule2
01-13-2014, 12:28 AM
If only the online component, the mainstay of the game, was any good whatsoever...Both the online and singleplayer are brilliant though.