PDA

View Full Version : What I think of AC4 story (a.k.a. I lost self-constraint) [Non-specific Spoilers]

Farlander1991
10-30-2013, 10:13 PM
So, I figured, since there's 3 weeks until PC release, I'll watch a walkthrough of the first three sequences (skipping most gameplay bits without story/dialogue in it), since thanks to preview footage, interviews, demos, I knew generally speaking what would happen anyway, so no big deal, right? And then I thought, well, Edward didn't interact with the Assassins directly, so I'll watch until he does. And then it was like, oh, another part which was present in a demo. And then I was like, okay, I need to stop, but, what the hell, oh my god this interaction between these two characters is so awesome, and... Basically, shame on me, I watched the whole story. I couldn't help it!

Because it the way it flows you really want to know what happens next, which is a testament to its quality. And, yeah. yeah. It's amazing.

And it's really surprising, because... historically speaking, I pretty much knew about most of the events that happen in the game already, since I was really interested in the era a long time ago and did some additional research after Black Flag was announced. But they still managed to keep you interested in what's going to happen next thanks to Edward and his interaction with other characters, how those events affect him, this really is more of a character driven story than it's plot driven, as Darby said in one of the interviews.

I also want to say that there's no, ZERO, one-shot cameos or appearances. The smallest amount of appearances is like two (set-up of smaller side characters and then the resolution with them), which was really awesome to me, especially after all the historical cameos that AC2 to AC3 (with AC3 being the biggest offender, and ACR being the smallest offender out of those) had. Although there are also two characters who are introduced not in the main path, but I don't think that's too big of a problem.

I also like how they didn't try to include us in every event (which I guess is something AC3 liked doing also) of the pirate cast, which was a concern I had considering how most of them historically were active at almost exactly the same time. And it's actually somewhat neat and refreshing that some of the characters' fates are resolved off-screen, as a result of this.

Edward, is an awesome character. He's actually very similar to Connor in some aspects, which is surprising, considering how different his motives are. But, you know, the whole Kenway story is really sad. All three characters (Edward, Haytham and Connor) strived for some goal but couldn't really achieve it, which is something I can honestly relate to. But it also saddens me a bit. Though, out of the three Kenways Edward gets the happiest resolution I think.

The Assassins vs. Templar conflict is also actually more prominent than it was in the AC2 to AC3 games, even though not all of our targets are Templars.

Overall, I think this is the best-crafted story in AC yet. It's got a very tight pacing, like ACB, but unlike ACB it's got an interesting and certainly grey Assassin vs. Templar conflict like in AC1 (though it's not always at the forefront, but it's always there), but mixed with the very personal touch from AC3 (as well as a better and closer understanding of the Templars like in AC3 too), and a distinct, tight and diverse cast of characters where each plays a role (something like ACR, if we go by the 'best of everything' principle). And there's a very personal character-defining moment (and dialogue) that in my eyes rivals with Ezio's Bonfire of the Vanities speech from AC2 (heck, in my opinion it's even better since it's got less pathos and is, indeed, more personal, even though I still am going to love Ezio's speech to death).

Assassin_M
10-30-2013, 10:22 PM
I watched the whole story. I couldn't help it!
that nearly happened to me, but I restrained myself by preordering the game and studying for that exam I have today :| I watched bits of the game, but not in order, so I generally know a BIT.

this really is more of a character driven story than it's plot driven
This...SOOO much this. You hear characters describe Edward most of the time. giving US, the player, a view on Edward that AC III lacked. "Less bright than most" "Petty thief" etc...and you feel like it's Edward's story. This game is Assassins Creed. starring Edward Kenway. featuring the golden age of piracy. while AC III was, Assassins Creed. starring the American Revolution. featuring Connor.

Edward, is an awesome character. He's actually very similar to Connor in some aspects
I want to talk about this, but I can't without spoiling too much xP but I'm highlighting it because I was hoping that i'm not the only one who notices it.

Overall, I think this is the best-crafted story in AC yet. It's got a very tight pacing, like ACB, but unlike ACB it's got an interesting and certainly grey Assassin vs. Templar conflict like in AC1 (though it's not always at the forefront, but it's always there), but mixed with the very personal touch from AC3 (as well as a better and closer understanding of the Templars like in AC3 too), and a distinct, tight and diverse cast of characters where each plays a role (something like ACR, if we go by the 'best of everything' principle).
If the game continues like the opening 3 hours for me...i'll give it title of best story in the series..

Farlander1991
10-30-2013, 10:32 PM
This...SOOO much this. You hear characters describe Edward most of the time. giving US, the player, a view on Edward that AC III lacked. "Less bright than most" "Petty thief" etc...

Well, it's not just that, it's also the relationship between Edward, the pirates, the assassins and the templars. Even though there IS an overarching plot (the final goal), and quite a number of pure plot events, it feels like it comes from said relationship with those characters, interactions with them, AND what THEY were actually doing too. I feel that this is something that AC3 had a VERY big potential in having, in fact, sometimes it showed up there, but it was lost due to the amount of historical cameos that take the time that could've been taken by somebody else. For example, Connor starts developing a relationship with Sam Adams and some things come out of that relationship and interaction and it feels natural, but it eventually leads to nowhere, Sam Adams abruptly disappears and a bunch of other characters appear.

I still like AC3 story and Connor a lot, though.

I want to talk about this, but I can't without spoiling too much xP

I guess we could talk about this using spoiler tags? :rolleyes:

Assassin_M
10-30-2013, 10:40 PM
Well, it's not just that, it's also the relationship between Edward, the pirates, the assassins and the templars. Even though there IS an overarching plot (the final goal), and quite a number of pure plot events, it feels like it comes from said relationship with those characters, interactions with them, AND what THEY were actually doing too. I feel that this is something that AC3 had a VERY big potential in having, in fact, sometimes it showed up there, but it was lost due to the amount of historical cameos that take the time that could've been taken by somebody else. For example, Connor starts developing a relationship with Sam Adams and some things come out of that relationship and interaction and it feels natural, but it eventually leads to nowhere, Sam Adams abruptly disappears and a bunch of other characters appear.

I still like AC3 story and Connor a lot, though.
Oh no, don't get me wrong, I still very much think AC III's story is great and Connor an awesome character, but the focus of AC IV seems pretty much on Edward most of the time..if it's not on Edward, it's on the Assassin-Templar conflict..which very much involves Edward. Personal stories are just that much more engaging and impactful.
I think it also has to do with context of said relationship with a character. It's how that relationship is used. I don't necessarily think how much time a character is given, but how he's used...the chemistry between the protagonist and characters and how they mesh with each other..is their a clash? a rivalry? friendship? animosity? AC III's focus was too much on the American Revolution itself which took so much from the personal struggle of Connor imo.

I guess we could talk about this using spoiler tags? :rolleyes:
but you said non-specific spoilers:p

Megas_Doux
10-30-2013, 10:42 PM
Wow lads!

Very good feedback of the game, so far. NICE!!!!!!

Farlander1991
10-30-2013, 10:42 PM
It's how that relationship is used. I don't necessarily think how much time a character is given, but how he's used...

Well, the thing is, you can't always use that relationship effectively when there's no chance to show the character to use the relationship with :p

but you said non-specific spoilers:p

Oh yeah. Crap. Different thread then? :D Like the Edward Kenway spoiler one? :D

LoyalACFan
10-30-2013, 10:44 PM
It's been so good so far... And I'm only finishing Sequence 4...

Honestly, whoever said the story was underwhelming was either smoking some funny stuff, or it takes a huge and sudden dive in quality real quick. Because it's easily the most well-crafted AC story so far IMO.

Assassin_M
10-30-2013, 10:45 PM
Well, the thing is, you can't always use that relationship effectively when there's no chance to show the character to use the relationship with :p
Well that is true xD but I meant that...a relationship doesn't need a whole game for example for it to be engaging for the player...I'm not saying don't give the character any sort of screen time xD

Oh yeah. Crap. Different thread then? :D Like the Edward Kenway spoiler one? :D
Okay, that works :p

Farlander1991
10-30-2013, 10:53 PM
It's been so good so far... And I'm only finishing Sequence 4...

Honestly, whoever said the story was underwhelming was either smoking some funny stuff, or it takes a huge and sudden dive in quality real quick. Because it's easily the most well-crafted AC story so far IMO.

This may be a matter of expectations. After all, so far AC stories (even the ones that are simpler in structure) are, how to put it, larger than life and very big in scope (and even when it gets personal, it's still epic), while AC4... is not that. So in that sense, it could be very underwhelming to somebody who was expecting something else.

Well that is true xD but I meant that...a relationship doesn't need a whole game for example for it to be engaging for the player...

And I'm not saying it does. Black Flag is a good example of that :p

Okay, that works

Well, since you wanted to start to talk about this in detail it would be only fair if you start doing that 'transfer' of this particular part of the topic :p

Assassin_M
10-30-2013, 11:00 PM
And I'm not saying it does. Black Flag is a good example of that :p
Yes, which was my point xP

Well, since you wanted to start to talk about this in detail it would be only fair if you start doing that 'transfer' of this particular part of the topic :p
Done :D

ArabianFrost
10-30-2013, 11:23 PM
I don't know. At the beginning, the story felt really disjointed and nonsensical to me, almost rushed. A lot of things are also unexplained. Apparently Edward is born with the knowledge of assassin moves and everyone just moves on with their lives when discovering about a millennia-old truth about the actual history.

I'm halfway in and the story still feels quite unfocused. It's almost like there a thousand mini-storylines and the game just jumps from one to the other. Maybe it will be more focused as I go, but now, the story just isn't quite cohesive. I think I'm going to have to do a replay to go more in-depth into the narrative. Add to that the fact that the narrative bits are less than AC3, which give the game's story less time to shine.

Farlander1991
10-30-2013, 11:27 PM
Apparently Edward is born with the knowledge of assassin moves

Honestly, makes more sense to me than Florentine youngster doing a leap of faith from a church (sure, he was secretly being trained in Assassin ways, but, that was a big WTF moment for me that so far no ACs have topped :p ) Being an agile climber due to constantly serving on ships and learning to use hidden blades on the go since you have to wing it is as good explanation as anything to me.

ArabianFrost
10-30-2013, 11:30 PM
Honestly, makes more sense to me than Florentine youngster doing a leap of faith from a church (sure, he was secretly being trained in Assassin ways, but, that was a big WTF moment for me that so far no ACs have topped :p )

That's not the only thing. There are heap of other things that are just completely unexplained. Apparently telling Blackbeard about a Templar for the first time is just normal every day stuff.

Farlander1991
10-30-2013, 11:35 PM
That's not the only thing. There are heap of other things that are just completely unexplained. Apparently telling Blackbeard about a Templar for the first time is just normal every day stuff.

Well, it's not like Edward cares enough to keep it a secret, and it's not like the title mattered to Blackbeard. "Name's right, didn't know he have a title." As far as they're concerned it's just a group of people that holds a grudge against Edward, really.

Shahkulu101
10-30-2013, 11:35 PM

Blackbeard had no clue what a Templar was and hadn't heard of their existence. Edward didn't know what they were really, he doesn't think of them as a spooky secret order - he couldn't have cared less at that point. He just tried to use them.