PDA

View Full Version : Harpooning help!?

LethalBman10119
10-30-2013, 06:14 PM
So i'm trying to harpoon a white whale i found, since i cant find any humpbacks and im sick of waiting for a tutorial mission on harpooning and I keep getting desynched because the whale keeps smashing my boat. How do you protect the rowboat so you can actually kill the blasted targets?? also any other advice would be greatly appreciated!

AlphaMandalore
10-30-2013, 11:22 PM
I bought all of the harpooning upgrades first, made it so much easier.

AngryRaisin
10-31-2013, 04:56 AM
So i'm trying to harpoon a white whale i found, since i cant find any humpbacks and im sick of waiting for a tutorial mission on harpooning and I keep getting desynched because the whale keeps smashing my boat. How do you protect the rowboat so you can actually kill the blasted targets?? also any other advice would be greatly appreciated!

Just wait until the tutorial in sequence 4. A lot of this stuff we aren't allowed/equipped to to until the tutorial comes up and they are spread out all the way through Sequence 4. I made the mistake of playing methodically from the beginning and clearing maps and doing ever side mission and collectible and it netted me over 10 hours of game play by the time I was to Sequence 3 and I didn't realize that I was making the game suck because of it! LOL

superkootje
10-31-2013, 11:49 PM
Just wait until the tutorial in sequence 4. A lot of this stuff we aren't allowed/equipped to to until the tutorial comes up and they are spread out all the way through Sequence 4. I made the mistake of playing methodically from the beginning and clearing maps and doing ever side mission and collectible and it netted me over 10 hours of game play by the time I was to Sequence 3 and I didn't realize that I was making the game suck because of it! LOL

What tutorial in sequence 4? I never got a harpooning tutorial? i in sequence 5 or 6 now.

GotFall
11-01-2013, 04:03 AM
You don't need to wait for the tutorial like these people are saying.

To stop the whale from killing your boat you need to harpoon it at the right moment and in the right area. When it attacks with it's tail, your crew will shout "Go for the tail" or similar, either way they will say "tail", this means when it's tail is slightly elevated you need to harpoon it before it can finish.

When it jumps out of the water you just need to harpoon it's body, I believe the white whale takes 2 harpoons (you need to do them rapidly) before it cancels it's attack, and if I recall the... bull whale? I don't know, only need one harpoon at this moment. So they differ.

AngryRaisin
11-01-2013, 04:46 AM
What tutorial in sequence 4? I never got a harpooning tutorial? i in sequence 5 or 6 now.

I got a tutorial right after I left Salt Key in the beginning of Sequence 4. I was following/chasing the ship and came upon a white circle in the ocean indicating a bull shark and then entered the tutorial sequence for harpooning.

FPL TEMPLAR
11-01-2013, 06:36 AM

I did this too. Got side-tracked

FrankieSatt
11-02-2013, 03:46 PM
Question about harpooning. Do you have to hold the left trigger all the way or just hold it long enough to aim and fire the spear?

I've come close to getting a white whale but I can't seem to do enough damage to it before it destroys my row boat. I have all the upgrades, except for the one that I need to find the treasure map for.

fightinTXaggie
11-02-2013, 04:17 PM
Question about harpooning. Do you have to hold the left trigger all the way or just hold it long enough to aim and fire the spear?

I've come close to getting a white whale but I can't seem to do enough damage to it before it destroys my row boat. I have all the upgrades, except for the one that I need to find the treasure map for.

If you have all the upgrades except the elite Harpoon, you should be fine. Even without one of the harpoon storage upgrades, I'd have enough to kill him and end up with about 3-5 harpoons left. Just make sure you're not throwing them willy-nilly and actually getting hits every time you throw them.

AngryRaisin
11-02-2013, 08:17 PM
Yeah I discovered this last night—you definitely have to upgrade your rowboat to get the White Whale. It's rigged so you simply can't do it without.

AngryRaisin
11-03-2013, 12:37 AM
I just got the White Whale without the Elite Harpoon (but with the other two upgrades) but could not get the Killer Whale.

SenseHomunculus
11-03-2013, 08:03 AM

The longer you hold the left trigger, the harder Edward throws the harpoon. Not long to get the max damage, just a few seconds but it makes a big difference over not holding it down.

Happy hunting!

FrankieSatt
11-03-2013, 07:52 PM
The longer you hold the left trigger, the harder Edward throws the harpoon. Not long to get the max damage, just a few seconds but it makes a big difference over not holding it down.

Happy hunting!

They have really made this mini game more frustrating than fun. You would think they would have made at least one of them easy enough for the beginner to do it and then make the other ones harder.

AngryRaisin
11-03-2013, 10:52 PM
Nah… it's not that bad. Bottom line is if you can't get the target then you are not equipped to do it yet so move on and focus on the main storyline and side missions that facilitate upgrading everything and then come back to the hard stuff after you are upgraded—it will seem almost easy.

SenseHomunculus
11-03-2013, 11:24 PM
They have really made this mini game more frustrating than fun. You would think they would have made at least one of them easy enough for the beginner to do it and then make the other ones harder.

Frankie - what are you having trouble with: killing the target or even hitting the target? I tried to take on a whale even before I knew I could just for fun and it kicked my butt, but I did at least hit it.

Drew612672010
11-03-2013, 11:37 PM
I didn't even start harpooning until I upgraded everything, but I found the elite harpoon upgrade early and maxed out boat and harpoon. White whale is easier than great white shark for me, but still did it all before memory 4.

FrankieSatt
11-04-2013, 01:41 AM
Frankie - what are you having trouble with: killing the target or even hitting the target? I tried to take on a whale even before I knew I could just for fun and it kicked my butt, but I did at least hit it.

As I said, I have everything upgraded except for the elite harpoon since I don't have the plans for that yet. I'm not hitting the target much and when I do I'm not doing enough damage to kill it before it kills me. I've come close but I just can't get it. I can't fire the harpoons fast enough and I can't get them accurate enough to do maximum damage

trickitrules
11-04-2013, 02:11 PM
Off topic guys but,
Hey all, I have a quick question regarding the harpooning Abstergo challenge. I have harpooned each and every sea animal and have skins and bones for all to prove it, but my counter is sitting at 4/6 and refuses to move. I've harpooned, bull shark, hammerhead shark, great white shark, killer whale, humpback whale and white whales, but the counter refuses to move. Any suggestions ?

SenseHomunculus
11-04-2013, 04:33 PM
As I said, I have everything upgraded except for the elite harpoon since I don't have the plans for that yet. I'm not hitting the target much and when I do I'm not doing enough damage to kill it before it kills me. I've come close but I just can't get it. I can't fire the harpoons fast enough and I can't get them accurate enough to do maximum damage

Yeah I'm in the same position upgrade-wise. I just killed the white whale though it took me 3 tries. I hit on almost every harpoon throw and, as has been pointed out, when it breaches before submerging you have to hit it in the tail to score a big hit and prevent it from smashing your boat. I had about 1 section of boat health left and I think 5 harpoons. Just made it.

GotFall
11-04-2013, 06:59 PM

Guys I've said on the first page how to stop it damaging your boat - fair enough you might miss, and will sometimes fail because of it, but you need to be hitting the right spot and the right amount when the creature is about to attack. You can kill all of the aquatic animals with no damage to your boat if you defend yourself when it's about to attack.

When it's tail is coming out of the water it's preparing to hit your boat with it's tail, so harpoon it's tail before it finishes.

When you have a giant white area right next to your boat it means it's getting ready to pop out and smash your boat with it's body, so you need to fire your harpoon quickly at this point, for the white whale it's 2 harpoons, you can't be waiting for the full strength of your harpoon hit you need to quickly fire two of them at it so it stops it's attack.

I understand people's frustration though, I went to do a whale very early on too and I either ran out of harpoons or it killed my boat. A few tries later after realizing the crew shout when it's going to attack and whatnot and that you can see yourself when and how it'll attack I managed to beat it, barely.

It's advised to upgrade all of your harpooning gear (you don't need the elite ones, even I don't have them yet) as they become really easy to kill at that point, even the whales, and they're good money if you need it..

FrankieSatt
11-04-2013, 10:40 PM
Guys I've said on the first page how to stop it damaging your boat - fair enough you might miss, and will sometimes fail because of it, but you need to be hitting the right spot and the right amount when the creature is about to attack. You can kill all of the aquatic animals with no damage to your boat if you defend yourself when it's about to attack.

When it's tail is coming out of the water it's preparing to hit your boat with it's tail, so harpoon it's tail before it finishes.

When you have a giant white area right next to your boat it means it's getting ready to pop out and smash your boat with it's body, so you need to fire your harpoon quickly at this point, for the white whale it's 2 harpoons, you can't be waiting for the full strength of your harpoon hit you need to quickly fire two of them at it so it stops it's attack.

I understand people's frustration though, I went to do a whale very early on too and I either ran out of harpoons or it killed my boat. A few tries later after realizing the crew shout when it's going to attack and whatnot and that you can see yourself when and how it'll attack I managed to beat it, barely.

It's advised to upgrade all of your harpooning gear (you don't need the elite ones, even I don't have them yet) as they become really easy to kill at that point, even the whales, and they're good money if you need it..

I'm going to try it some more but they really should have made this a little bit easier for those who want to have fun with it instead of frustration.

B3NJY 1993
11-05-2013, 01:28 AM
I had a similar problem, didn't have enough upgrades to really deal with it. After about eight attempts, I managed to kill it with a block left on the boat's health, and with one harpoon to spare. You need a minimum of 30 harpoons, and even that only allows for a few misses, and hitting it at the right moment will almost always stop it damaging the boat... so you could just about get by with no upgrades to the boat itself, if you're a good shot and know your timing.

Also, something I've learned is that its best to hunt on a clear day, its harder to see any pray if its raining or dark.