PDA

View Full Version : ACIV Reviews

Wolfmeister1010
10-29-2013, 03:22 PM
All the reviews and their scores have been put into one page for our convenience.

I am quite disapointed with the review Gameinformer gave. It basically says the opposite of what I feel lol. They say that the stealth is bad, the ship combat is bad, and everything kinda falls apart, which made me laugh out loud. But whatever, their opinion. I am also seeing a surprising amount of negativity towards the story in many of the reviews. I do not like Edward as much as Connor, but I thought the story was great! Anyway, here is link of page showing all reviews, and links to each one are in the page.

http://www.vg247.com/2013/10/29/assassins-creed-4-black-flag-reviews-begin-get-all-the-scores-here/

What would you rate Black Flag? If your score falls between two scores, just round to whatever it is closest to and comment your accurate precise score. You might not even be even close to being ready to give a score, but whatevs.

roostersrule2
10-29-2013, 03:27 PM
9 so far, I'm only at sequence 3 though.

As for the GI review, it isn't a horrible review just because it disagrees with you doesn't make it horrible and as for ACR and AC3 getting higher scores, they obviously thought they were better games and an 8.25 isn't even a bad score.

Wolfmeister1010
10-29-2013, 03:28 PM
9 so far, I'm only at sequence 3 though.

As for the GI review, it isn't a horrible review just because it disagrees with you doesn't make it horrible and as for ACR and AC3 getting higher scores, they obviously thought they were better games and an 8.25 isn't even a bad score.

you are right, I was not trying to seem selfish. I do prefer meta critic though, as it finds a consensus out of dozens of critics, not just one.

Farlander1991
10-29-2013, 03:30 PM
I am quite disapointed with the review Gameinformer gave. How is it possible, that ACR got an 8.75, AC3 got a 9.5, but Black Flag got a 8.25?????

ACR and AC3 were reviewed by Matt Miller, AC4 was reviewed by Joe Juba. ;) :p

Reviewers have different set of values, preferences, and the way their scoring system works, therefore comparing score from different reviewers (even if it's a single publication) is not representative of anything. If Matt Miller would give AC4 8.25, then that question would've been valid ;)

The review itself is horribe, and basically says the opposite of what I feel.

Wait, are you saying it's horrible BECAUSE it says the opposite of what you feel, or you just think that it's badly written? At any rate, reviews are essentially opinions of the people who wrote them and ours don't have to align with them.

D.I.D.
10-29-2013, 03:31 PM
Reviewers don't care about number scores anywhere near as much as some readers do. They want you to read their reviews to know about the game. The score is just a clumsy shorthand. There is no reason why a reviewer should have to spend hours comparing the scores (that other colleagues gave, mind you!) for every other game in the series, and then to ensure that the score is compared correctly with Tomb Raider, GTA V, Battlefield, etc. This is ridiculous behaviour, and they rightly leave that argument to the shrieking chimps who read the reviews. The editors and publishers are perfectly happy for the more unhinged sections of the readership to disagree with the review score, anyway: more clicks, more cash.

OMG THIS GOT 0.25 MORE THAN THAT

Please.

"Is it worth buying?" is the only thing to care about. And even then, don't get emotional.

Wolfmeister1010
10-29-2013, 03:37 PM
Guys I understand why it sounded selfish what I said, that is why I deleted saying the review was horrible. Now can we please get to what this thread was supposed to be about

I-Like-Pie45
10-29-2013, 03:38 PM
Did as you asked.

Gave it the same score that I gave Grand Theft Auto V, Bioshock Infinite, and The Last of Us.

Sigv4rd
10-29-2013, 04:01 PM
9.5 from me... :)
I don't know yet if it is my favorite AC game, but I'll probably do free roam in AC4 from now on :p

lothario-da-be
10-29-2013, 04:30 PM
I give it a 9 at the moment. Only in sequence 5 and played 17 hours. Still have lots of things to do. But so far it looks very good. Not realy any bugs and there is good stealth!

Sushiglutton
10-29-2013, 04:35 PM
I think that's a very impressive set of scores tbh. Sixth game in seven years, it's not easy to get that kind of recognition. Especially since many review sites have been coming down hard on sequels lately. I have read several of the reviews and it seems to me that the devs have done sound priorities and really listened to a lot of the feedback after AC3. So I think they deserve a lot of praise for that. I can't review the game myself as I won't get it until 21/11.

Farlander1991
10-29-2013, 04:37 PM
Wha, Sushi, I thought you weren't getting it on release? :D

Sushiglutton
10-29-2013, 04:43 PM
Wha, Sushi, I thought you weren't getting it on release? :D

I'm a very weak person :(. My mood is swinging like crazy lately also, so basically it depends on if I had a cup of coffee or not lol (my life is a bit upside down atm). Anyway I think I have been overly harsh and like I said it really seems like the devs have listened and made a lot of sound changes. So yeah I will get it on PC-release. I also didn't want to miss out on all the discussion with you and the rest of the forum ;).

STDlyMcStudpants
10-29-2013, 04:49 PM
AC IV DEF got treated less harshly than AC3
AC4 is a 9..AC3 is a 9.5..AC2 is a 9.2
not a SINGLE complaint about bugs in any review...(which of course there are a few)
Im surprised IGN only gave it an 8.5
I saw a lot of 9s and 8s and the 7s and below have no idea what AC even is...

"VideoGamer
Oct 29, 2013
There's only so many times, however, that you can tolerate the poorly-defined stealth and terrible AI."

LMAO
But oddly enough the PS3 version is getting higher reviews (average 89) than the PS4 Version (Average 81)

stingray110
10-29-2013, 05:28 PM
7/10 the same thing every year with a couple tweaks. Disappointing. I don't know how people can give it a 9 considering other superior games even if they are a different genre.

lothario-da-be
10-29-2013, 05:46 PM
7/10 the same thing every year with a couple tweaks. Disappointing. I don't know how people can give it a 9 considering other superior games even if they are a different genre.
A couple of tweaks? A COUPLE OF TWEAKS???

LoyalACFan
10-29-2013, 06:16 PM
IGN's review was terrible, the guy spent half the review talking about how he liked that the story's tone was less stone-serious than previous AC's, but then at the very end the only "con" he mentioned was "Disappointing Main Story." Dafuq? It lost 15% because of something he talked about liking?

pirate1802
10-29-2013, 06:27 PM
I think that's a very impressive set of scores tbh. Sixth game in seven years, it's not easy to get that kind of recognition. Especially since many review sites have been coming down hard on sequels lately. I have read several of the reviews and it seems to me that the devs have done sound priorities and really listened to a lot of the feedback after AC3. So I think they deserve a lot of praise for that. I can't review the game myself as I won't get it until 21/11.

Yeah, same for me :( I'll review it when I get the game around that date. Till then, I'd look puppy-eyed at other people reviewing and praising the game. :nonchalance:

LoyalACFan
10-30-2013, 01:01 AM
So, without spoilers, how is the story? Because I've heard fans saying it's great, but reviewers saying its sucks.

D.I.D.
10-30-2013, 01:12 AM
IGN's review was terrible, the guy spent half the review talking about how he liked that the story's tone was less stone-serious than previous AC's, but then at the very end the only "con" he mentioned was "Disappointing Main Story." Dafuq? It lost 15% because of something he talked about liking?

Readers are always doing this - looking for the negative criticisms, and ascribing the difference between the review score and 100% to that mention of a fault (for example, all the raging creatures at Gamespot assuming Carolyn Petit had deducted points from GTA V for misogyny and poor representation of women). Another common complaint is similar: the assumption that every reviewer starts from "perfect" and then whittles it down, but they don't. They're just thinking about how the game feels. Every reader thinks this would be easy, but it really isn't - not when you're doing it professionally. You're saying the IGN review was "terrible", but was it, really? Saying the story was better than the last one is only a comment on ACIII. It doesn't mean the writer thinks the story is now great.

All sites and magazines ought to ditch scores completely.

silvermercy
10-30-2013, 01:22 AM
THIS!

I wish they got rid of them completely. You may get a general idea of course but at the end of the day it's all subjective. I never let reviews dictate if I see a film or listen to a music album. It's the same with games. This discrepancy between critics and general public has happened countless of times before. Most of the times, I tend to agree with the general public.

LoyalACFan
10-30-2013, 01:35 AM
Readers are always doing this - looking for the negative criticisms, and ascribing the difference between the review score and 100% to that mention of a fault (for example, all the raging creatures at Gamespot assuming Carolyn Petit had deducted points from GTA V for misogyny and poor representation of women). Another common complaint is similar: the assumption that every reviewer starts from "perfect" and then whittles it down, but they don't. They're just thinking about how the game feels. Every reader thinks this would be easy, but it really isn't - not when you're doing it professionally. You're saying the IGN review was "terrible", but was it, really? Saying the story was better than the last one is only a comment on ACIII. It doesn't mean the writer thinks the story is now great.

Yes, I'm saying the review was terrible. And I'm sticking by that. It was poorly-written and contradictory. And it's not because of the score they gave it; I couldn't care less about the 8.5, and I totally agree that numbered scores should be scrapped. I'm just pointing out that the reviewer praises the story for having a lighter tone and not being afraid to poke fun at itself, but then you get to the bottom and he calls the story "disappointing" with literally no explanation whatsoever. That is a bad review. The only reason I even brought up the numbered score was because the story was the ONLY negative he mentioned in the wrap-up (when he had just been praising it a few sentences earlier) but it was apparently enough to significantly affect the score.

I'm usually (perhaps overly) critical of IGN reviews in general, though. The TLOU review for example, which I actually agreed with, was a bunch of fawning fanboy nonsense.

Megas_Doux
10-30-2013, 01:39 AM
I'm usually (perhaps overly) critical of IGN reviews in general, though. The TLOU review for example, which I actually agreed with, was a bunch of fawning fanboy nonsense.

IGN giving GTA IV a 10 score........

I could NOT disagree more, to me it is the weakest since the reborn of the franchise with GTA III.

scooper121s
10-30-2013, 01:40 AM
10//10, Best AC game yet :D

LoyalACFan
10-30-2013, 03:06 AM
IGN giving GTA IV a 10 score........

I could NOT disagree more, to me it is the weakest since the reborn of the franchise with GTA III.

I'm not even talking about the scores though (much as I agree with you about the absurdity of GTA IV's 10), just the reviews themselves tend to suck. Their opinions aren't usually well-justified, even if I agree with what they're saying. Just like what I was saying about the AC4 review, one minute he was saying how fresh and great the story was for AC and the next minute he was trashing it without any justification.

Keza MacDonald is really the only reviewer I've seen on that site who can actually write an articulate review that backs up her opinions.

pirate1802
10-30-2013, 06:00 AM
So, without spoilers, how is the story? Because I've heard fans saying it's great, but reviewers saying its sucks.

Eh, Gamespot review says its great.

Wolfmeister1010
10-31-2013, 07:22 PM
I am very happy that we all seem to be liking it!