PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else think Assassin's Creed IV has potential to become the best game ever?

jabulaniman
10-29-2013, 01:05 PM
For me atleast. And that's saying a lot because I have a TON of good games. Pretty much all the bestsellers.

Heres why:

What I loved so much in AC3, was

a) The naval battles
b) Sailing the ship, exploring the waters and those beautiful carribean-looking islands and turqoise waters
c) That one mission (may have been dlc) where you explore the ancient mayan temple to find Kidd's sword,
ergo the Uncharted-style aspect.

And that is what AC4 will all be about, right? Sailing the carribean, exploring islands, ancient temples, epic sea battles, underwater diving, boarding ships, stopping at ports and towns like Havanah with close roofed houses awesome for free running like those cool times in Venice or Rome, brutal combT and graphics better than ever before.

Crap, I can't wait. It's my most anticipated game EVER, even more so than say Skyrim or Batman or WoW: MoP.

Anyone agree?

HypeR.tgL
10-29-2013, 01:13 PM
Yep, and all that stuff is never ending, ships constantly roaming the seas, guards and random events all over the cities, endless amount of collectibles to be collected, the vast amount of upgrades and items you can get for your jackdaw, crafting to be done.. oh it just never ends..

MrNightmareTM
10-29-2013, 01:17 PM
It's a good game but I wouldn't go that far. It's not flawless.

roostersrule2
10-29-2013, 01:21 PM
No.

D.I.D.
10-29-2013, 01:36 PM
Absolutely not. I'm hoping it returns the series to competency. That will be fine. (I'm waiting for the PC version.)

There's no way it can possibly be the best game ever. Dishonored isn't close to being the best game ever either, but it was extremely good and it absolutely demolished ACIII as an assassination game. I strongly doubt that ACIV will outdo Dishonored on that basis either, but it should earn its place through the fun of exploration and the naval stuff. The stealth demo video on Kotaku today looks very promising, so it looks like the level designers have recaptured that "peeling an onion" thing that AC has sometimes done really well.

AC has steered itself into an area of performance where the old gen is holding it back. If it maintains its current design, we won't see the best of it until it's no longer being made for 360/PS3. With the spare processing for AI, it might change quite a lot in the next couple of years. My personal hope is that they will soon make a satisfying ending to the modern day story, to please the people who like that side of AC, and then completely reboot the series and redesign/reimagine it from the ground up.

roostersrule2
10-29-2013, 01:44 PM
AC has steered itself into an area of performance where the old gen is holding it back. If it maintains its current design, we won't see the best of it until it's no longer being made for 360/PS3. With the spare processing for AI, it might change quite a lot in the next couple of years. My personal hope is that they will soon make a satisfying ending to the modern day story, to please the people who like that side of AC, and then completely reboot the series and redesign/reimagine it from the ground up.I agree with this so much. I used to like the modern day but ever since it's lost that mystery I kinda wish they'd just wrap it up and just have standalone stories.

I'd love for Ubi to have a game every 2 years with two big DLC's in the 2 year gap.

FrankieSatt
10-29-2013, 01:49 PM
No, this will be at best a very good Pirate game. By the looks of things they focused way too much on the Pirate stuff and not nearly enough on the Assassin's Creed part of the game nor the Present Day part of the game.

xboxauditore
10-29-2013, 02:02 PM
Very rarely do we get a good Pirate game, and I think this is going to be the best PIRATE game ever, but everyone knows the title of best game ever goes to either The Last of Us or Bioshock Infinite.

dxsxhxcx
10-29-2013, 02:11 PM
No, this will be at best a very good Pirate game. By the looks of things they focused way too much on the Pirate stuff and not nearly enough on the Assassin's Creed part of the game nor the Present Day part of the game.

this, that's the impression I got from some reviews as well... hell, someone even put the blame of the pirate part not exploring its full potential on the AC part of the game... lol

FrankieSatt
10-29-2013, 02:16 PM
this, that's the impression I got from some reviews as well... hell, someone even put the blame of the pirate part not exploring its full potential on the AC part of the game... lol

This is why I think if they really wanted to make a Pirate game they should have done so without the Assassin's Creed name. They could have kept everything else the same and created a great Pirate main story.

Trying to mix Pirates and Assassin's Creed just isn't going to work I don't think. I've seen some videos of the game and I'll be playing it tonight but I'm really thinking they should have done just a Pirate game alone.

dxsxhxcx
10-29-2013, 02:28 PM
This is why I think if they really wanted to make a Pirate game they should have done so without the Assassin's Creed name. They could have kept everything else the same and created a great Pirate main story.

I still hope they will do it, they will be wasting this feature's potential if they don't or keep using it in AC...

Landruner
10-29-2013, 03:37 PM
Absolutely not. I'm hoping it returns the series to competency. That will be fine. (I'm waiting for the PC version.)

There's no way it can possibly be the best game ever. Dishonored isn't close to being the best game ever either, but it was extremely good and it absolutely demolished ACIII as an assassination game. I strongly doubt that ACIV will outdo Dishonored on that basis either, but it should earn its place through the fun of exploration and the naval stuff. The stealth demo video on Kotaku today looks very promising, so it looks like the level designers have recaptured that "peeling an onion" thing that AC has sometimes done really well.

AC has steered itself into an area of performance where the old gen is holding it back. If it maintains its current design, we won't see the best of it until it's no longer being made for 360/PS3. With the spare processing for AI, it might change quite a lot in the next couple of years. My personal hope is that they will soon make a satisfying ending to the modern day story, to please the people who like that side of AC, and then completely reboot the series and redesign/reimagine it from the ground up.

I some king of disagree with what you wrote above

It is not the technology that does a game better - The so call next generation does not bring anything more in gameplay features or innovation than an enhancement visual and performance, which is already allowed on powerful PCs. If gameplay has too change for a new assassin creed, well that the all concept and game design that has to be reviewed from scratch without the assets of the previous ones, and you don't need new tech for this, but just a big brainstorming from some creative 's pool in order to come with new idea of gameplay...

Dishonored and AC 3 are not even comparable even in term of reference (except for both protagonists in both games are Assassins) - Dishonored was closer too the THIEF series than any assassin Creed of this series.

AC3 disappointed because of its own fault and flaws, (:confused:long list, and it will be foolish to expend there), but past is past and I am glad that the new devs learned some of the past mistakes:o

AC4 is good and no one can really feel that disappointed, however; they are still some little stuff that...well, [No spoiler] perhaps they go with the flora and lore of this series (???)

However; I strongly believe that it will be in the future, a sequel of this entry it will be an AC Black Flag 2:rolleyes: (Assassin Creed or not)

jabulaniman
10-29-2013, 03:52 PM
I definetely think it's combining the best elements of AC3 and bringing some real new flavor into the series.

Farlander1991
10-29-2013, 04:01 PM
It is not the technology that does a game better - The so call next generation does not bring anything more in gameplay features or innovation than an enhancement visual and performance

Well... this is kinda both true and not true at the same time. A lot of times game design is directly tied in with the technology and technology possibilities. AI, as it was mentioned, is actually a good example. In it's purest form of just logic AI wouldn't require that much, yes, but combine it with having all the NPCs to count what they see and what they don't see, to count their pathfinding, to count what particular animation they have to be performing or what they have to be saying for a proper visual/audio feedback (and, for example, the memory has to hold those audio snippets to be easily played, for example, and that takes memory, and just in and of itself not much, but combine it and it's a lot), etc. etc. (all that is also part of game design as well, btw, not just technology) and you have on your hand something that you require a powerful rig for. So technology can help a lot.

D.I.D.
10-29-2013, 04:32 PM
I some king of disagree with what you wrote above

It is not the technology that does a game better - The so call next generation does not bring anything more in gameplay features or innovation than an enhancement visual and performance, which is already allowed on powerful PCs. If gameplay has too change for a new assassin creed, well that the all concept and game design that has to be reviewed from scratch without the assets of the previous ones, and you don't need new tech for this, but just a big brainstorming from some creative 's pool in order to come with new idea of gameplay...

Dishonored and AC 3 are not even comparable even in term of reference (except for both protagonists in both games are Assassins) - Dishonored was closer too the THIEF series than any assassin Creed of this series.

AC3 disappointed because of its own fault and flaws, (:confused:long list, and it will be foolish to expend there), but past is past and I am glad that the new devs learned some of the past mistakes:o

AC4 is good and no one can really feel that disappointed, however; they are still some little stuff that...well, [No spoiler] perhaps they go with the flora and lore of this series (???)

However; I strongly believe that it will be in the future, a sequel of this entry it will be an AC Black Flag 2:rolleyes: (Assassin Creed or not)

Technology does make games better. With plenty of spare cycles, you can have much better AI, as I said in my post. You can have dramatically improved physics that create entirely new gameplay possibilities.

Even just looking at graphics, a game with better graphics is - in that regard - a better game, and it's a perfectly legitimate factor. I think of games as a kind of recreational drug, or at least half of one. They key into your adrenalin and your emotions to create pleasure. I don't care how much anybody claims not to care about graphics - you've all definitely had the experience, as I did with Bioshock Infinite and Tomb Raider this year, of looking around the most spectacular parts of the environment and feeling that rush of graphics-based satisfaction, smacking the F12 key and thinking "Ooooh yeah, that's the stuff".

As for gameplay, Dishonored absolutely spanks ACR and ACIII, both in terms of mechanics and thrills, and for simply making me care. Yes, it's more like Thief, but it's very hard to play Dishonored and not think how hollow AC's idea of assassination is by comparison (or at least, it was for me). My point is that Dishonored was a new game about an assassin, and it was designed sharply towards that goal. AC has become very woolly, and I would argue that nobody designing an assassin game today (not even Ubisoft) would build something in the mold of AC in its present form. I care about AC enough to want it to be great, and it can be done. They just have to start with a blank piece of paper again, and gear the design towards the theme. Rather than keep the first civ theme going for the entire lifetime of AC, I think it would be liberating to bring it to a close early and disencumber the series of that clunky aspect. It would be good for us all, I think: both the camp that doesn't like it, and also the camp that does. Give that latter group a conclusion while they're still somewhat excited by it :)

luckyto
10-29-2013, 04:53 PM
Honestly, I'm happy with it remaining more like a Comic Book series and continuously bringing in new characters. I think people get too hung up on the "Assassin" part of the game or the Abstergo element. It's a core part, but it's even more about melee combat and free-running and exploration as anything else. The Templar/Assassin thing is just a pretense to move story along or set game objectives. The real heart of the franchise is the gameplay --- it's in the world they build, your avatar in it and the controls used to explore and fight in that world. AC franchise has a totally unique recipe. There's no sense in getting rid of that formula --- not to make a perfect "assassin" game. I'd rather have a game that has good free-running, good combat and an excellent world with loads of stuff to do. Black Flag does that.

pirate1802
10-29-2013, 06:25 PM
Lol I almost broke my F12 taking shots in those two games for sure!

SleezeRocker
10-29-2013, 06:56 PM
Very rarely do we get a good Pirate game, and I think this is going to be the best PIRATE game ever, but everyone knows the title of best game ever goes to either The Last of Us or Bioshock Infinite.

So far im really digging AC4 a lot than AC3 but yes, I highly doubt AC4 wouuld really be GOTY material. My vote would go for Last of Us since I really liked the story so much. Bio Inf. was ok but it didn't leave a lasting impression to me :/

Dutchman141
10-29-2013, 08:17 PM
I can understand that the die hard AC fans miss the Creed feeling in AC4, I don't know how to put it in other terms.
For someone like me a regular AC fan and a huge fan of pirate age inspired games AC4 is just a dream come true.
Do I think AC4 could be GOTY or even Best game ever ? Naah I don't think so, maybe for me personaly but not worldwide.
Games like Call of Duty have much more fans and players I think, and most proffesional reviewers go for the masses in my opinion.

jabulaniman
10-29-2013, 09:50 PM
Honestly, I'm happy with it remaining more like a Comic Book series and continuously bringing in new characters. I think people get too hung up on the "Assassin" part of the game or the Abstergo element. It's a core part, but it's even more about melee combat and free-running and exploration as anything else. The Templar/Assassin thing is just a pretense to move story along or set game objectives. The real heart of the franchise is the gameplay --- it's in the world they build, your avatar in it and the controls used to explore and fight in that world. AC franchise has a totally unique recipe. There's no sense in getting rid of that formula --- not to make a perfect "assassin" game. I'd rather have a game that has good free-running, good combat and an excellent world with loads of stuff to do. Black Flag does that.

Yarrrr, agreed, matey!
I be lookin forward to sailin the seas and beatin the stuff out o' those landlovin spanish scallywags! Aarrr.

phoenix-force411
10-29-2013, 10:38 PM
Whoever said Assassins had to be like during Altair's times? It's good that they bring in new elements as well.