PDA

View Full Version : Question about AC4 for those who've played it [NO SPOILERS]:

MIA SILENT
10-28-2013, 11:44 AM
I've read a couple of fan reviews where people are saying that the leap from previous AC games to this one is comparable to the leap from AC1 to AC2. Gameplay-wise to me AC4 looks very similar to AC3, which isn't really a bad thing-I enjoyed AC3's gameplay a lot.

I wanted to ask the people that have played it if the combat feels much different from AC3? Are there any subtle differences in the way enemies act while in combat, and apart from new weapons are there any new tactics we can employ while in combat? Has there been anything added or removed from combat that you're unhappy about? In AC3 we were able to carry on a kill-chain after quick-selecting a different weapon, but it was very limited because you could only do it with 3 different weapons. Has this been built upon? Meaning are there more weapons we can now use during a kill-chain without breaking it?

roostersrule2
10-28-2013, 12:35 PM
Apparently combat is harder and 'grittier' then AC3's but more or less the same.

pacmanate
10-28-2013, 12:36 PM
Not to sound like an ASSassin but the game comes out tomorrow. Why even ask this question, just wait 1 day and experience it yourself

Farlander1991
10-28-2013, 12:48 PM
Some of us can't experience it ourselves until second half of November, mate.

pacmanate
10-28-2013, 12:55 PM
Some of us can't experience it ourselves until second half of November, mate.

Oh yeah... soz br0

Mr_Shade
10-28-2013, 02:54 PM
and.. reviews will be everywhere tomorrow.. and youtube ;)

Best to ask a range of people / sources etc

Since - it is a very objective thing.. one person may struggle with combat - others are fine.. ;)

MrNightmareTM
10-28-2013, 03:09 PM
I don't really find the combat "difficult". I have played the game fully to the end. I'd say the combat is pretty much the same as AC III and contains the same issues. Enemies only die when you "execute" them if it makes sense. If you keep attacking them it's like they don't die unless the execution stuff is triggered. Half way when you are doing that, another random enemy will push you or get in your way resulting in the execution not being finished and the enemy remaining alive. It's quite frustrating and it did happen to me continuously throughout and in AC III. But you can just button mash since there's hardly any challenge to the combat.

Sushiglutton
10-28-2013, 03:13 PM
Haven't played the game, but have asked similar questions to several who have. Based on this and the footage I expect freerunning and combat to be pretty much identical to AC3. There's still no quickfire option so you need to equip the gadget you want to use in combat through the menu. The menu has been improved, but it's still a clunky, outdated system. There have been reports of the combat in AC4 being more difficult, but noone has been able to explain why/how so I'm sceptical about that for now.

The two areas the devs have focused on are naval and stealth (which I def think was the right priority). Naval have been expanded on in a number of ways including new weapons like mortars and explosive barrels, seamless boarding and more. The people who have played the game all says the AI has been noticably improved for stealth, which is great. There is a new gadget called the blowpipe and you are now able to tag enemies and see them through walls. There's a new archetype who is some kind of sniper.

So in summary:
Combat/parkour: pretty much identical to AC4
Naval/stealth: fairly substantial updates.

Mr_Shade
10-28-2013, 03:22 PM
There's still no quickfire option so you need to equip the gadget you want to use in combat through the menu.

Ermm - do you mean being able to fire your pistol / darts - while in active combat [with swords etc] via the triangle button?

If so, I'm pretty sure that's in the game?

Sushiglutton
10-28-2013, 03:27 PM
Ermm - do you mean being able to fire your pistol / darts - while in active combat [with swords etc] via the triangle button?

If so, I'm pretty sure that's in the game?

No I mean that you are only able to fire the gadget you have selected in the tool slot. So you can either fire pistols or ropedart with the 'Y'/Triangle button, depending on which one is selected. There is no way to fire either one with a simple tap (like in DMC, Arkham, God Of War etc). You must select the tool first with the d-pad.

Mr_Shade
10-28-2013, 03:44 PM
oh right..

MIA SILENT
10-28-2013, 04:12 PM
No I mean that you are only able to fire the gadget you have selected in the tool slot. So you can either fire pistols or ropedart with the 'Y'/Triangle button, depending on which one is selected. There is no way to fire either one with a simple tap (like in DMC, Arkham, God Of War etc). You must select the tool first with the d-pad.

If I remember rightly I think that by using the d-pad we could switch between 3 different tools that were able to be used either during a kill-chain or to initiate one. Arkham is a good example of what I'd like to see happen in terms of more weapon/tool variety being utilised without breaking up the flow of combat.

Sushiglutton
10-28-2013, 06:57 PM
If I remember rightly I think that by using the d-pad we could switch between 3 different tools that were able to be used either during a kill-chain or to initiate one. Arkham is a good example of what I'd like to see happen in terms of more weapon/tool variety being utilised without breaking up the flow of combat.

They have changed how the d-pad works though, so it's the only menu for selecting tools (I think). Check below vid at 10:51. Now there are multiple choices in each direction. Kind of neat that we won't have to pause the game anymore. Not as smooth as Arkham's quickfire system ofc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=yKkc4IoMb70#t=65 1

TheDanteEX
10-28-2013, 07:40 PM
Is there a loading screen between cutscenes or do they transition into gameplay smoothly now?

MIA SILENT
10-28-2013, 08:34 PM
They have changed how the d-pad works though, so it's the only menu for selecting tools (I think). Check below vid at 10:51. Now there are multiple choices in each direction. Kind of neat that we won't have to pause the game anymore. Not as smooth as Arkham's quickfire system ofc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=yKkc4IoMb70#t=65 1

Yup, this is definitely a lot better than having to go into a menu to select something different. Hopefully having the ability to quick-select between more weapons/tools means we'll be able to use more than a couple to carry on the same kill-chain.

pirate1802
10-28-2013, 08:50 PM
Is there a loading screen between cutscenes or do they transition into gameplay smoothly now?

Yeah I'd like an answer to this question too.

RzaRecta357
10-29-2013, 01:03 AM
Pretty sure it transitions smooth but I wasn't paying attention. Will go to my next mission ASAP and let you guys know. Fighting is largely the same.

dpad works like up for hidden blades. Down for swords. Left for tools and right for maps and money to toss.

Edit: Definitely has a transition for a split second black screen. It's fast but it's no fancy batman or rockstar game where the camera just pans out and in while they're moving and what not.

TheDanteEX
10-29-2013, 03:41 AM
Thank you. I was hoping it was like GTA V, but at least it isn't a lengthy bright white screen like AC3 had after every narrative-related action.