PDA

View Full Version : My ACIV NON SPOILER Review

Wolfmeister1010
10-26-2013, 02:36 AM
A few of the people who have been lucky enough to get the game a bit early have been posting their reviews of the game. So I will AS WELL. Before you read this review, please understand that this is based on MY personal experience, and you

Pros:
1. The ambient music is fantastic. The music of the islands sounds wonderfully and chillingly like FC3.
2. The environment and cities are wonderful. Jungles are anything but linear.
3. The combat is a bit more difficult IMO. Same core as AC3, but with more aggressive enemies and shorter counter windows.
4. Stealth is not only better than AC3, but better than all other AC's, and on par with other 3rd person stealth games.
5. Voice acting and sound effects are top notch
6. Harpooning is surprisingly addicting...
7. Underwater is decent fun, but mostly when there is a cave to enter.
8. Tons of contracts, and random encounters to find! Yes, there are random encounters! They are to rescue pirates, but you will always be loses crew members, so you will always be able to find these dynamic encounters.
9. Naval is much more fluid and fun.
10. Never get bored on the open seas with TONS of stuff to do.
11. Over 20 outfits. Way better and more "realistic" to the setting than previous games. For the first time since Ac2, there is an unlockable outfit that I actually want to wear for extended period of time! There is an outfit very similar to Altairs outfit in the sense that you need to find many keys to unlock it.
12. Great storyline, at first I didnt believe they could make Edward a **** and selfish, but...I was wrong. He is a bit of a **** at first!
13. The assassins are more plentiful and included more in the story.
14. More assassination targets.
15. Havana is one of my favorite cities, and Kingston is surprisingly fun to explore!
16. EVERYTHING ubi has promised to be in the game is there.
17. Blowpipe is fun to use, and is actually necessary in certain situations. You will find that all of the tools have a very unique use.
18. Guns are extremely fun to use, not OP, and easy to chain.
19. Free aiming adds a lot to the experience.
20. Enemy AI are largely improved. For the first time in AC, I actually think twice before going into battle.
21. Graphics are very good on current gen.
22. Templar cast is extremely good and I want to kill them all. Julien du Casse is as sexy as ever. JS
23. All tools and weapons are properly introduced.
24. Havana, I promise you guys, is bigger than it looks. I would say the size of Florence, and a little bit extra.
25. Mission design is drastically improved for each mission.
26. Hunting is more fun and useful.
27. Crafting is great and reminds me of FC3.
28. Upgrades are really important as so many of the ships you encounter can destroy you with a few volleys.
29. I have boarded SO. MANY. SHIPS. I don't think...I don't think I will ever get bored of it.
30. Modern day is very fun and brings back some of the fun and creepiness from the glyphs of earlier games.
31. Sea shanties are great! Transport yourself back to dishonored with "drunken sailor"
32. You really come to be attached to your ship. I did, to the point where whenever my ship took a big hit, I flinched. It does not feel "disposable" like the Aquila.
33. Fish move out of the way when you swim by them. Even on current gen.
34. A few very subtle but very very very awesome POTC easter eggs. You will know them when you see them.
35. Edward's hideout is GORGEOUS
36. Darby does an AMAZING job fleshing out each character and making the story seem very interesting and fun. Bravo!

Cons:
1. Some frame-rate issues.
2. Graphical and sound bugs, as well as some gameplay bugs.
3. While AC3 took too long to get to a steady pace, AC4 rushes too much at the start, but fortunately calms down by the 3rd sequence.
4. Nassau is a bit disappointing to me, but still a good city.
5. Some sword animations recycled from tomahawk and do not look good.
6.Edward never kisses me through the screen.
7. Unfortunately, many of the constraints are still too specific, but they are not too difficult to do. No more giant red writing. Many of them are still ridiculously specific and controlling, such as "assassinate with ropedart" or "assassinate from bench" or "kill x number of enemies with sleep darts"
8. Same as in AC3, when you do a low profile hidden blade assassination from behind, no blood or anything appears on on the target's back. If mods read this, please include it in your report.
9. Some of the side missions can be a bit repetitive.

Cons of current gen:
1. Blurry textures at times
2. Less foliage
3. Less smoke, fog, and particle effects
4. Smoke from pistols not as detailed, almost like AC3's
5. Sails stay kinda stationary like AC3.
6. Stalking zones do not move while you are in them
7. Waves not as detailed and rain does not create reflective puddles
8. Fire less detailed.
9. Ship damage less detailed.

The current gen version is great! But it just does not feel like the ideal version to play.

Overall:

This game is unlike any of the other AC's to date. While AC3 took a beautiful world and didn't fill it up enough with things to do, AC4 fills up an even bigger, more stunning world and fills it to the brim with things to do. For the first time since AC2, the core of the game has really changed and evolved into something great. This game has delivered everything it promises to deliver, and then some! This is the best game in the series, I promise you that. While it has some glitch and bug issues, these are literally some of the ONLY faults IMO. I don't know what other people are saying, I think combat is a bit more difficult. It is also very easy to see how the developers have brought the best from each game into this one. There are various pieces of the game that remind me very much of AC2, AC1, AC3, and more! Is it a perfect game? No. But it is a masterpiece. GTA5 can sit down. Welcome to the golden age of piracy, to the golden age of Assassin's Creed.

The Golden age has arrived everyone.

Overall, I would give this game a 9.75 out of 10. It still has some issues, but is impossible to put down. Get ready for a hell of a time. And just for some comparison, I would give GTA5 a 9 .

If you guys have any questions you want me to answer, Ill try to answer them as best as I can. Please try to keep them brief

silvermercy
10-26-2013, 02:46 AM
As I said earlier on twitter, thank you so much for your review!! I think I will definitely enjoy this game (er.. when I finally gain access to a console, that is... lol)! ^^

About the voice acting of THAT character there is this... "rumor" about the character as I had mentioned. lol But who knows... Edit: mystery solved. Lol

I don't think the negatives will affect my experience. Some issues seem to be PS3-related mostly. If I get to play it on PS4 later it will be fantastic. There will also be some more patches by then.

:)

Wolfmeister1010
10-26-2013, 02:48 AM
As I said earlier on twitter, thank you so much for your review!! I think I will definitely enjoy this game (er.. when I finally gain access to a console, that is... lol)! ^^

About the voice acting of THAT character there is this... "rumor" about the character as I had mentioned. lol But who knows...

I don't think the negatives will affect my experience. Some issues seem to be PS3-related mostly. If I get to play it on PS4 later it will be fantastic. There will also be some more patches by then.

:)

Bugs are only temporary. Other than that, this game is near perfect IMO.

Wolfmeister1010
10-26-2013, 02:51 AM
The character with bad voice acting is....you will have to play to find out!

Megas_Doux
10-26-2013, 02:52 AM
Nice review wolf!
Really looking forward about the freeroaming activities!

By the way, are there any "platforming levels" such as the asassins tombs in AC2, Romoulus lairs, etc etc? If any, did you like them?

Wolfmeister1010
10-26-2013, 02:53 AM
Nice review wolf!
Really looking forward about the freeroaiming activities!

By the way, are there any "platforming levels" such as the asassins tombs in AC2, Romoulus lairs, etc etc? If any, did you like them?

There are a few like those. Some including puzzles. They were great, as are most of the missions in the game

Megas_Doux
10-26-2013, 02:55 AM
Thanks!

AlexCleysson
10-26-2013, 03:22 AM
Your review makes me even more excited to play the game... Thanks for posting this great review =D
I just wanna get lost in the world with Adé and the Jackdaw!

Wolfmeister1010
10-26-2013, 03:31 AM
Your review makes me even more excited to play the game... Thanks for posting this great review =D
I just wanna get lost in the world with Adé and the Jackdaw!

Of course! I know you will just love it!

I-Like-Pie45
10-26-2013, 03:34 AM
wm, can you pm me

are there any connor easter eggs
whats the story/ending

Wolfmeister1010
10-26-2013, 03:46 AM
wm, can you pm me

are there any connor easter eggs
whats the story/ending

There is absolutely no way I am telling you any of that :). I will post my opinions and non spoiler review. But I will never post anything that spoilery.

Rugterwyper32
10-26-2013, 03:48 AM
One that I'm wondering: What kinds of new viewpoints are there? I know there's at least one windmill in Kingston, but other than that any other viewpoints that are pretty interesting?

I-Like-Pie45
10-26-2013, 03:49 AM
There is absolutely no way I am telling you any of that :). I will post my opinions and non spoiler review. But I will never post anything that spoilery.

at least tell me

the easter eggs

:(

Wolfmeister1010
10-26-2013, 03:50 AM
at least tell me

the easter eggs

:(

No. Stop. I can tell you that there ARE easter eggs. But nothing more.

Wolfmeister1010
10-26-2013, 03:51 AM
One that I'm wondering: What kinds of new viewpoints are there? I know there's at least one windmill in Kingston, but other than that any other viewpoints that are pretty interesting?

The viewpoints are generally the same. Some on the islands and on nassau are pretty cool in the sense that they look very organic and makeshift.

Rugterwyper32
10-26-2013, 03:53 AM
The viewpoints are generally the same. Some on the islands and on nassau are pretty cool in the sense that they look very organic and makeshift.

Yeah, should have expected as much.
Pretty nice to know about the Nassau ones, though. I had been wondering how they'd handle viewpoints in Nassau overall, all things considered, and makeshift viewpoints seem to fit with it. Thanks for answering!

I-Like-Pie45
10-26-2013, 03:56 AM
Can we punch horses in the face, like:
http://i.imgur.com/i96z0.gif

Wolfmeister1010
10-26-2013, 04:04 AM
Can we punch horses in the face, like:
http://i.imgur.com/i96z0.gif

No

breakdownthewall
10-26-2013, 04:07 AM
Thankyou for sharing your experience with us. I cannot wait to get my hands on the game!

The_Heisenberg
10-26-2013, 04:11 AM
Massive cliffhanger or what?

inderg23
10-26-2013, 04:20 AM
I'm wondering if you could tell us whether your playing on a 360 or PS3 as I have heard that there are quite a few framerate issues with the PS3 version

Wolfmeister1010
10-26-2013, 04:24 AM
I'm wondering if you could tell us whether your playing on a 360 or PS3 as I have heard that there are quite a few framerate issues with the PS3 version

I am on xbox.a few issues, but not as bad as others are saying for ps3.

TheDanteEX
10-26-2013, 04:55 AM
Thank you for sharing your thoughts, and though you might be a more positive person than I am, you've made me more excited to play AC4. If you can answer a question, does the 360 version use only one disc this time around?

roostersrule2
10-26-2013, 06:29 AM
Nice review, touched upon some little things without spoiling.

Also remember Shade has heavily implied that a day one patch is on it's way so a lot of bugs, problems etc. could be fixed.

I don't get the comparison to GTA V though? You do it a lot really.

Aphex_Tim
10-26-2013, 07:41 AM
Maybe I SHOULD quit the forums for a little while. All these positive reviews are getting me a little too excited. :p

EllJim
10-26-2013, 09:21 AM
Maybe I SHOULD quit the forums for a little while. All these positive reviews are getting me a little too excited. :p

Amen to this. Have jsut received a shipped alert for my game from Game.co.uk so am as kiddy as a school child.

Wolf - Q have you installed the disk on your HDisk? I've heard of improvement if that's done.

Jim.

pacmanate
10-26-2013, 09:29 AM
Thanks for the review wolf. Most of your cons of current gen were expected though so that is okay with me.

For everyone saying about PS3 having more issues than Xbox 360, do you really think it will? With every AC game since AC:B the difference in frame rate and screen tearing between platforms has become more and more minimal with each installment. I doubt AC4 will ruin this, either the PS3 guys are exaggerating or the 360 guys are not telling the truth (not you wolf, just mean in general);

Black_Widow9
10-26-2013, 10:15 AM
Thanks for the review wolf. Most of your cons of current gen were expected though so that is okay with me.

For everyone saying about PS3 having more issues than Xbox 360, do you really think it will? With every AC game since AC:B the difference in frame rate and screen tearing between platforms has become more and more minimal with each installment. I doubt AC4 will ruin this, either the PS3 guys are exaggerating or the 360 guys are not telling the truth (not you wolf, just mean in general);
It could also be that there may be a Patch that they have not received yet. :p

pacmanate
10-26-2013, 10:20 AM
It could also be that there may be a Patch that they have not received yet. :p

Also this for sure. Do we get patch details for this?

I hope it fixes the fact that you can run through some walls and crates...

TJ_Wylde
10-26-2013, 10:21 AM
Hmm got patch 1.01 or 1.1 something like that yesterday. Maybe that's why i don't have all those issues then. (this is not considered a spoiler right?)

pacmanate
10-26-2013, 10:23 AM
Hmm got patch 1.01 or 1.1 something like that yesterday. Maybe that's why i don't have all those issues then. (this is not considered a spoiler right?)

Lol :p no that is not a spoiler, that is a patch.

Sushiglutton
10-26-2013, 10:47 AM
Excellent review Wolfie, very detailed and to the point, makes me a lot more optimistic :)!

I'm kind of happy about the current gen framerate issues, because it means they have pushed the tech to the breaking point which will be nice for us PC/next-gen gamers.

Shahkulu101
10-26-2013, 10:49 AM
excellent review wolfie, very detailed and to the point, makes me a lot more optimistic :)!

i'm kind of happy about the current gen framerate issues, because it means they have pushed the tech to the breaking point which will be nice for us pc/next-gen gamers.

eeeeveeell!

Sushiglutton
10-26-2013, 10:50 AM
eeeeveeell!

Mwaahhahahaha hahhahaha :cool:

pirate1802
10-26-2013, 12:14 PM
Great review, wolfie. And thanks for keeping it spoiler-free! I have a few questions, if you may:

1. You said there are 20 outfits. Are they actually different outfits or just differently coloured same base outfit, or with cosmetic differences. I guess some of them are craftable. And you have to unlock some by finding keys, like those peg leg trinkets?

2. Can you describe Edward's mansion a bit omre? How does it compare to the other hideouts of the series and how large and customizable it is?

3. What different types of random encounters are there. You said there are rescuing pirates, but are there more types? Or are they different types of the same rescue-pirate event?

Thanks!

White24Room
10-26-2013, 12:34 PM
Thanks for your review ! Can't wait to receive my game. But a little question, you mentionned that there were a lot of assassinations, but can we assassinate our targets "freely"? I mean is this an open area and we can kill him as we want or is this, like in AC3 scripted ? Thank you :)

andreycvetov
10-26-2013, 04:49 PM
I wanna ask about the ending(without spoilers).Is it good,does it set something for future ac games.Is it a OMFG ending ,decent or a bad one.I remember Ash saying: Best ending to an AC game,mark my words.So are his words true or?

Wolfmeister1010
10-26-2013, 04:56 PM
Great review, wolfie. And thanks for keeping it spoiler-free! I have a few questions, if you may:

1. You said there are 20 outfits. Are they actually different outfits or just differently coloured same base outfit, or with cosmetic differences. I guess some of them are craftable. And you have to unlock some by finding keys, like those peg leg trinkets?

2. Can you describe Edward's mansion a bit omre? How does it compare to the other hideouts of the series and how large and customizable it is?

3. What different types of random encounters are there. You said there are rescuing pirates, but are there more types? Or are they different types of the same rescue-pirate event?

Thanks!

1. SO many of the outfits are actually different from the main one, but there are about 4 or so ones that are just color change. It is amazing. Yes one of them you have to unlock very similarly to AC2.
2. Edwards mansion is amazing. It is very spacious, and filled with many rooms. There is also a small town near it, where your jackdaw is. It is quite amazing to watch it transform as you upgrade it.
3. All of them I have encountered were for rescuing pirates, but there are tons of different kinds. Some require stealth, some dont.

Wolfmeister1010
10-26-2013, 04:57 PM
Thanks for your review ! Can't wait to receive my game. But a little question, you mentionned that there were a lot of assassinations, but can we assassinate our targets "freely"? I mean is this an open area and we can kill him as we want or is this, like in AC3 scripted ? Thank you :)

....a VERY small few of them you have to kill kinda scriptedly...like in a chase for example. But almost all of them you can take on however you want.

Wolfmeister1010
10-26-2013, 04:57 PM
I wanna ask about the ending(without spoilers).Is it good,does it set something for future ac games.Is it a OMFG ending ,decent or a bad one.I remember Ash saying: Best ending to an AC game,mark my words.So are his words true or?

His words are true. While I wont say anything Bout the ending spoiler wise, I will say that it is AMAZING. Thanks Darb

killzab
10-26-2013, 05:12 PM
....a VERY small few of them you have to kill kinda scriptedly...like in a chase for example. But almost all of them you can take on however you want.

Yeah that Julien du Casse mission was AMAZING !

This game is so much better than AC3 that I don't even want to play that turd ever again.

And glad the ending is amazing.

But why did you rush through the game ? :(

I've been expecting it for so long, I don't want to end it in 2 days.

ACfan443
10-26-2013, 05:16 PM
There are a few like those. Some including puzzles. They were great, as are most of the missions in the game

How many of these tomb-esque platforming missions are there? And are they as complex, fun, and lengthy as AC2's/ACB's?

EDIT: also, how many main assassination targets are there?

zeo6016
10-26-2013, 05:21 PM
did u try to harpoon a blue whale ?? :D

Dutchman141
10-26-2013, 05:32 PM
Wolfmeister I hope you don't mind me posting my impressions of the game in your review. If you do then I'll edit the post and remove it.

I got the game this morning and all I can say regarding the Pros mentioned in the OP is that they are spot on.

I'm a regular gamer and love the AC series. I'm not a hardcore fan who analyses every glitch, move, animation, etc. so my impressions aren't as in depth as Wolfmeister's.

I have played all of the AC games but AC4 captures me as no other. Maybe it's because I love the pirate setting to much but the atmosphere of the game realy catches me, more then any AC before.
I think this is a extremely enjoyable game with tons of stuff to do and looks fantastic on current gen.
It doesn't look as good as next gen but still I'm amazed about what they did for current gen.
I'm not bothered by any framerate issues or lags at all, some framerate drops are there but they never bothered me in playing the game or had any effect on gameplay, by the sound of it, it looks as if the ps3 version realy has some issues compared to the Xbox360.

The naval part of the game is thrilling and as Wolfmeister said boarding is so much fun, I just can't stop going back out there and plunder every ship I encounter, well at least the one's I can handle at the moment :)

Personaly I think that anyone who is/was afraid of current gen being a dissapointment graphics wise doesn't have to worry a bit. I think it looks stunning. The gameplay should be the same on both gen consoles and if you're a regular gamer like me then you're in for a realy good time.

Allready I think that AC4 will be my most favoured game on Xbox360.

If I had to give AC4 a score then it would be 9.8 out of 10.

Landruner
10-26-2013, 06:26 PM

Yep, but on both console(s) they played the game without the day 1 patch that come the 29th, hopefully it will fix some of the issues reported so far. I saw partially the game running on Xb360 so far, and they are not lying, and I was surprised by it since UBISOFT could have dropped the ball and focus on next Gen only - I did not see it on PS3 yet.

Wolfmeister1010
10-26-2013, 06:26 PM
If I had to pick one fault that genuinly hurt the experience for me, it is the mission constraints, which, mostly, are still very specific and controlling. It is quite a shame. "Assassinate target from a bench", "air assassinate target", "assassinate target with ropedart". that is the only permenant gameplay fault I have with the game. I do not count bugs as permanent gameplay issues.

Shahkulu101
10-26-2013, 06:28 PM
If I had to pick one fault that genuinly hurt the experience for me, it is the mission constraints, which, mostly, are still very specific and controlling. It is quite a shame. But that is the only permenant gameplay fault I have with the game. I do not count bugs as permanent gameplay issues.

Well, at least it's optional I suppose. It's a shame Ashraf was economical with the truth.

Wolfmeister1010
10-26-2013, 06:29 PM
How many of these tomb-esque platforming missions are there? And are they as complex, fun, and lengthy as AC2's/ACB's?

EDIT: also, how many main assassination targets are there?

I have played throught the main campaign and some side missions like contracts and stuff, but I am saving the bulk of the open world experiemce for next gen. I do not know the answer to your quesrion.

Wolfmeister1010
10-26-2013, 06:30 PM
Well, at least it's optional I suppose. It's a shame Ashraf was economical with the truth.

Yeah. The game allows you to choose different paths to GET to the target, but once you get there, it becomes very specific. In Ash's defense though, he is truthful about EVERYTHING else, which is not something previous game directors could say.

wigster2012
10-26-2013, 06:30 PM
Wolf what did you make of the modern day story? Was it better then you expected or worse? Is it a good modern day story as well? Can you also play the modern day stuff any time you want or do you have to wait for certain times? also what is the ending like is it a cliffhanger, or just a really good ending? Obviously no spoilers please.

Wolfmeister1010
10-26-2013, 06:31 PM
Yeah that Julien du Casse mission was AMAZING !

This game is so much better than AC3 that I don't even want to play that turd ever again.

And glad the ending is amazing.

But why did you rush through the game ? :(

I've been expecting it for so long, I don't want to end it in 2 days.

I did not rush throught the game. Trust me, it is far from over for me.

Wolfmeister1010
10-26-2013, 06:33 PM
Wolf what did you make of the modern day story? Was it better then you expected or worse? Is it a good modern day story as well? Can you also play the modern day stuff any time you want or do you have to wait for certain times? also what is the ending like is it a cliffhanger, or just a really good ending? Obviously no spoilers please.

The modern day is very fun and informative. You can do it whenever you want, but there are a few parts where it makes you do it, but not for a very long time. The ending is very very good and WTFy!

Shahkulu101
10-26-2013, 06:33 PM
A quick question: are there hints towards the next game - like setting or whatever?...

;)

pacmanate
10-26-2013, 06:35 PM
I did not rush throught the game. Trust me, it is far from over for me.

How many hours did you play? Cause if story finishes in 2 days thats probably AC:B length.

Wolfmeister1010
10-26-2013, 06:35 PM
A quick question: are there hints towards the next game - like setting or whatever?...

;)

Yes.

zeo6016
10-26-2013, 06:36 PM
did u harpoon a blue whale ?

Wolfmeister1010
10-26-2013, 06:37 PM
How many hours did you play? Cause if story finishes in 2 days thats probably AC:B length.

I went on a bing all nighter with my friend. I played AC4 for 3 days, and finished the main story in like 20 something hours. The next dozen or so hours was spent doing some side activities and stuff. I have played like a total of 30 something hr and I am 72 percent done. I expect when i complete EVERYTHING I will have spent around 45-50 hours. But I am taking my time now.

Wolfmeister1010
10-26-2013, 06:38 PM
did u harpoon a blue whale ?

Yes. Like I said in the OP, harpooning is surprisingly addicting.

zeo6016
10-26-2013, 06:39 PM
so harpooning this giant sea animal was from the small boat or from jackdow ?

Wolfmeister1010
10-26-2013, 06:42 PM
so harpooning this giant sea animal was from the small boat or from jackdow ?

All harpooning is from the small boat.

silvermercy
10-26-2013, 06:57 PM
If I had to pick one fault that genuinly hurt the experience for me, it is the mission constraints, which, mostly, are still very specific and controlling. It is quite a shame. "Assassinate target from a bench", "air assassinate target", "assassinate target with ropedart". that is the only permenant gameplay fault I have with the game. I do not count bugs as permanent gameplay issues.

It may sound strange but I actually love this type of missions! I find it more challenging and fun this way. XD It goes to show how subjective we can all be with what we like. ^^ Yeah... I love the mission constraints. lol

spidermma82
10-26-2013, 07:02 PM
I agree with your review in the most part. However I think AC4 is a step in the wrong direction. I am only about half way through the game, but I don't really feel part of the bigger picture like I did in AC3. It also seems to be a bit watered down for my liking. Part of my love for AC3 was the ability to build up your homestead, help your citizens, sell your wares etc. This doesn't really seem to exist in AC4. Sure you can upgrade your ship and sell your plunder, but it really feels like a step down from the depth of its predecessor. The naval combat is fun, but quickly becomes a grind.

Ubisoft Montreal are certainly a talented bunch of developers and I'm really looking forward to what they can do when next gen starts to settle in. I personally hope they go back to having more depth in AC5 and don't drown us in side missions that have little impact on the world. I'm predicting review scores ranging from 7-8. Its a good game, just not the best of the series to date from my pov.

ACfan443
10-26-2013, 07:15 PM
I have played throught the main campaign and some side missions like contracts and stuff, but I am saving the bulk of the open world experiemce for next gen

Fair enough

I do not know the answer to your quesrion.

Is this a continuation of your answer to my first question, or an answer to my second one?

Wolfmeister1010
10-26-2013, 07:42 PM
I agree with your review in the most part. However I think AC4 is a step in the wrong direction. I am only about half way through the game, but I don't really feel part of the bigger picture like I did in AC3. It also seems to be a bit watered down for my liking. Part of my love for AC3 was the ability to build up your homestead, help your citizens, sell your wares etc. This doesn't really seem to exist in AC4. Sure you can upgrade your ship and sell your plunder, but it really feels like a step down from the depth of its predecessor. The naval combat is fun, but quickly becomes a grind.

Ubisoft Montreal are certainly a talented bunch of developers and I'm really looking forward to what they can do when next gen starts to settle in. I personally hope they go back to having more depth in AC5 and don't drown us in side missions that have little impact on the world. I'm predicting review scores ranging from 7-8. Its a good game, just not the best of the series to date from my pov.

I dont believe you even have the game to begin with, since you CAN upgrade your hideout as well, and sell your wares. What are you trying to prove friend?

Wolfmeister1010
10-26-2013, 07:43 PM
Fair enough

Is this a continuation of your answer to my first question, or an answer to my second one?

I do not know exactly how many platforming missions there are. There could be more platform style missions I have not seen yet.

ACfan443
10-26-2013, 07:57 PM
I do not know exactly how many platforming missions there are. There could be more platform style missions I have not seen yet.

Okay, thanks for clarifying. So, what about the number of main assassination targets? (Apologies if this is getting repetitive).

Wolfmeister1010
10-26-2013, 07:59 PM
Okay, thanks for clarifying. So, what about the number of main assassination targets? (Apologies if this is getting repetitive).

Im sorry I can not tell you. spoilers.

TorQue1988
10-26-2013, 10:17 PM
2. Edwards mansion is amazing. It is very spacious, and filled with many rooms. There is also a small town near it, where your jackdaw is. It is quite amazing to watch it transform as you upgrade it. .
So you can upgrade the small town as well, like the Homstead in AC3 or Monteriggioni in AC2?
Also, do you know how many species of animals are in the game? And is there a giant squid or a kraken easter egg?

inderg23
10-26-2013, 10:58 PM
I am on xbox.a few issues, but not as bad as others are saying for ps3.

Thanks for answering my question Wolf. Was wondering if going from the land to sea is as seamless as it is on gameplay videos shown for next gen? Or is there any loading at all when moving onto your ship? Thanks

magikaquaror
10-26-2013, 11:05 PM
Looks like a great way to kick off my PS4 with.

Wolfmeister1010
10-26-2013, 11:48 PM
So you can upgrade the small town as well, like the Homstead in AC3 or Monteriggioni in AC2?
Also, do you know how many species of animals are in the game? And is there a giant squid or a kraken easter egg?

More similar to villa in the sense that you can actually upgrade it. I dont know exactly how many species, but I have seen tons. At least as many different species as AC3

Wolfmeister1010
10-26-2013, 11:48 PM
Thanks for answering my question Wolf. Was wondering if going from the land to sea is as seamless as it is on gameplay videos shown for next gen? Or is there any loading at all when moving onto your ship? Thanks

Yes. Seamlessness is just as good as they advertise it.

Romtsarafo
10-27-2013, 12:18 AM
I approove this review :D I also noticed that they fixed running assassinations from AC3. Now, you can run behind a guard without him turning!!! I rembered being spotted in missions when I was doing them, it was so frustrating! (sorry for my bad english I speak French)

poptartz20
10-27-2013, 08:56 AM
I approove this review :D I also noticed that they fixed running assassinations from AC3. Now, you can run behind a guard without him turning!!! I rembered being spotted in missions when I was doing them, it was so frustrating! (sorry for my bad english I speak French)

votre anglais est tres bon!

This makes me sooo... .happy!

Thanks for the review wolf!

Even when I got to play it ahead of time I had a feeling this game would be the one. It just felt right. Not to mention there was so much to do, and I had fun doing it! It didn't feel forced!

Makes me a little disappointed on the AC3 end because it had the potential of 4. <3 #iwillalwaysloveyou #iknowhashtagsdontworkherebutidontcare

andreycvetov
10-27-2013, 04:58 PM
I wanna ask one more question.How is the dialog,i mean is it something that makes you think (like altair -al mualim dialogs or connor achilies ones).Is it simple or somehow deep,for example -Freedom isnt peace,its an invitation to chaos.I hope you get my point.

I-Like-Pie45
10-27-2013, 05:11 PM
I wanna ask one more question.How is the dialog,i mean is it something that makes you think (like altair -al mualim dialogs or connor achilies ones).Is it simple or somehow deep,for example -Freedom isnt peace,its an invitation to chaos.I hope you get my point.

Yes

poptartz20
10-27-2013, 05:14 PM
yes to which part? lol.

simple or deep?

pirate1802
10-27-2013, 05:17 PM
yes to which part?

No.

NotMyWill2639
10-27-2013, 05:45 PM
Don't know if this has been asked but if you change outfits does it show up in cutscenes?

Wolfmeister1010
10-27-2013, 06:04 PM
Don't know if this has been asked but if you change outfits does it show up in cutscenes?

Confirmed

Wolfmeister1010
10-27-2013, 06:05 PM
yes to which part? lol.

simple or deep?

The dialogue I found is still very deep...just like it has been in all previous ACs. If there is on thing the writers at ubi can do for an AC game, it is to make amazing dialogue.

AidenPixxel
10-27-2013, 06:07 PM
Can we start bar fights at will?
Is there a fast walk option?

Thanks you!!

Shahkulu101
10-27-2013, 06:10 PM
On a scale of Connor to Ezio how awesome is Adewale?

Wolfmeister1010
10-27-2013, 06:10 PM
Can we start bar fights at will?
Is there a fast walk option?

Thanks you!!

There are bar fights for bars, but only at the first time you visit them, to gain access to them you must beat up a bunch of people.

Yes there is fast walking.

Wolfmeister1010
10-27-2013, 06:11 PM
On a scale of Connor to Ezio how awesome is Adewale?

I thought you were a connor fan?

AidenPixxel
10-27-2013, 06:13 PM
There are bar fights for bars, but only at the first time you visit them, to gain access to them you must beat up a bunch of people..

Can you use objects from the environment at the bar fights?

Shahkulu101
10-27-2013, 06:16 PM
I thought you were a connor fan?

I am.

However, Adewale can only be awesome. It is just a question of how awesome he is. I was really just being annoying on purpose but let me ask another question if I may: Do you predict Edward will become the fan favorite? And: Is Adewale as awesome as we all expected?

pirate1802
10-27-2013, 06:40 PM
Confirmed

Ha. I'd reserve one playthough just to have Edward wear Connor outfit and go through the whole storyline just like that.

silvermercy
10-27-2013, 06:48 PM
Ha. I'd reserve one playthough just to have Edward wear Connor outfit and go through the whole storyline just like that.

I will try to do that, too, on my 2nd playthrough!! XD Hopefully on the PS4.
(oh hey, I hope that's not the Connor sequel I wanted. :| lmao)

andreycvetov
10-27-2013, 06:52 PM
I saw in a gameplay that edward walks slowly at times(badass slow walk),somehow threatning.Is it there and if yes a little more info about it?thanks

pirate1802
10-27-2013, 07:04 PM
I will try to do that, too, on my 2nd playthrough!! XD Hopefully on the PS4.
(oh hey, I hope that's not the Connor sequel I wanted. :| lmao)

http://i.imgur.com/Imz5lUF.png

I-Like-Pie45
10-27-2013, 07:45 PM
If you are going to ref. Deus Ex, ref. the real Deus Ex.

Real Deus Ex fans only like Deux Ex, because Human Revolution is clearly for casuals and posers.
http://www.unreasonablegamers.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/snob1.gif

This is similar to AC games. Real AC fans know AC is the only real AC game. All these other games are for casuals and posers.

Megas_Doux
10-27-2013, 09:10 PM
Hello wolf?

So far how has being your freeroaming experience?

DELTA Kristian
10-27-2013, 09:47 PM
Wait till tomorrow to say if it`s good or bad since it isn`t out lol.

Megas_Doux
10-27-2013, 09:48 PM
Wait till tomorrow to say if it`s good or bad since it isn`t out lol.

Getting the PS4 until christmas :(

Wolfmeister1010
10-27-2013, 10:09 PM
Hello wolf?

So far how has being your freeroaming experience?

Amazing! The campaign is great, but the endless fun Of the open world experience is the highlight

andreycvetov
10-27-2013, 10:21 PM
how long does it really take to do the main missions(probably not 20 hours as they said eh?)

Wolfmeister1010
10-27-2013, 10:26 PM
how long does it really take to do the main missions(probably not 20 hours as they said eh?)

Took me me bit over 20 hr

Assassin_M
10-27-2013, 10:30 PM
Hello, Wolf :D

can you please elaborate more on the random events? I'm sorry, I know i'v been bothering you with it for the last couple of months xP

ajl992008
10-27-2013, 11:23 PM
can someone please tell me how many assassinations there are? I dont think the number should really count as a spoiler, if it does then could someone give me a rough idea
1. 5-10 Targets
2. 11-15 targets
3. 16-20 targets

also how open are the assassinations? are they like ac2, ac1 or even more open than both of those?secondly how long does just the main mission campaign take? this is really important to me since with every installment the length goes down, for comparison:

ac1 = 10 hours
ac2 = 20 hours
acb = 10 hours
acr= 13/14 hours
ac3 = 15 hours

can anyone confirm if its longer than ac2? i felt like ac2 had the perfect length and longer would be better, thanks a lot in advance :)

NotMyWill2639
10-27-2013, 11:31 PM
Confirmed

thanks, this is awesome news.

Wolfmeister1010
10-27-2013, 11:37 PM

can you please elaborate more on the random events? I'm sorry, I know i'v been bothering you with it for the last couple of months xP

You will be happy:

-TONS of different scenarios of rescuing priates.

There are many variations of saving pirates about to be executed by guns. Different guard placements, stuff like that.

Some like assassins recruitment, where you need to save a pirate being attacked by a group of guards.

Intervene in hangings

Recruit at taverns,

I believe there are some like TOKW, like giving medicine to sick person, and stuff like that, but I have not enountered that yet.

Most of them are for recruiting pirates, but you will always be losing crewmembers so there will always be dynamic encounters to explore, and they are all very organically placed, like you dont get an encounter every 3 seconds like TOKW.

I-Like-Pie45
10-27-2013, 11:37 PM

it simple

sometimes, edward will bump into a red pirate. and on other times, he will bump into a blue pirate. Sometimes there may even be a green or purple pirate!

Wolfmeister1010
10-27-2013, 11:38 PM
it simple

sometimes, edward will bump into a red pirate. and on other times, he will bump into a blue pirate. Sometimes there may even be a green or purple pirate!

Why do you ****post so much?

I-Like-Pie45
10-27-2013, 11:51 PM
To stay in character.

Sushiglutton
10-28-2013, 01:29 AM
You will be happy:

-TONS of different scenarios of rescuing priates.

There are many variations of saving pirates about to be executed by guns. Different guard placements, stuff like that.

Some like assassins recruitment, where you need to save a pirate being attacked by a group of guards.

Intervene in hangings

Recruit at taverns,

I believe there are some like TOKW, like giving medicine to sick person, and stuff like that, but I have not enountered that yet.

Most of them are for recruiting pirates, but you will always be losing crewmembers so there will always be dynamic encounters to explore, and they are all very organically placed, like you dont get an encounter every 3 seconds like TOKW.

Sounds a bit like Lemmings!

Sigv4rd
10-28-2013, 04:34 AM
So now that you have played the game how does Eddy rank among the previous Assassins? Do you have a new fave?
From the sound of it he and Altair may be tied for the lead...

OppaRex
10-28-2013, 04:04 PM
Hi wolf!
Thanks for the review... I am curious to know if there are any mayan villages( not just treasure hunting locations, but a proper village with people nd maybe mayan pyramids) the game.
I would luv to see an ancient mayan pyramid with a village around it with mayan people!!!!! :)

dxsxhxcx
10-28-2013, 06:28 PM
Does treasure hunting gets more "complicated" as you advance in the game (with more and less obvious landmarks to identify before you find the treasure) or all of them are like the one shown in one of the promotional videos (just find the landmark to win)?

luckyto
10-28-2013, 08:09 PM

You are talking about optional objectives?

also HUD customization. How in-depth is it? Can I turn it all off?

TenaciousD-ZA
10-29-2013, 05:23 PM
What kinds of outfits do you get? Can you dye your clothes/armour?

CalgaryJay
10-29-2013, 07:09 PM
If you end up engaged with a predatorial animal, does it still trigger a QTE scene like in 3? Please say no...

Mr_Shade
10-29-2013, 07:12 PM
also HUD customization. How in-depth is it? Can I turn it all off?

HUD - You can turn all of it off or toggle:

All
Breath Meter
Crew Meter
SSI
Health
Mini Map
Puppeteer
Tutorials
Updates
Weapon Indicator
Character Icon
[navel options]
Sails
Wanted level

Sushiglutton
10-29-2013, 07:23 PM
HUD - You can turn all of it off or toggle:

All
Breath Meter
Crew Meter
SSI
Health
Mini Map
Puppeteer
Tutorials
Updates
Weapon Indicator
Character Icon
[navel options]
Sails
Wanted level

Removing the navel will make those shirtless sections a bit less disturbing I suppose ;).

I'm gonna remove everything from the start this time around and see how that works out. Will probably mean I miss some stuff but overall I think it will be worth it. Treasures will be sweeter to find if you actually find them :).

Farlander1991
10-29-2013, 08:29 PM
Is Edward's original robe variation (with the blue coat and everything) available as a separate outfit? Or is it like Connor's captain uniform, available only during particular memories?

luckyto
10-29-2013, 10:42 PM
Awesome! Thanks for answering!

What is "puppeteer"?

Mr_Shade
10-29-2013, 10:50 PM
Awesome! Thanks for answering!

What is "puppeteer"?

The idea of the Animus is your are a viewer controlling the action - so you are controlling the subject remotely - like a puppeteer - so that relates to the 'X= Assassinate' and 'A = Jump' control buttons etc on screen ;)

luckyto
10-29-2013, 10:52 PM
Der. I should have known that. I don't ever remember it being called that in the HUD menu before, but I should know that. Thanks -

Farlander1991
10-29-2013, 11:04 PM
Is it valid to still call it Puppeter though? AC3 kinda went away from that scheme a bit, didn't it? Its control scheme is not really about 'head, main hand, off hand, legs' anymore.

Secu12
10-30-2013, 07:55 AM
We still have assassin recruits and if so, the arrow storm feature is back?