PDA

View Full Version : Bombsight in P39-Q1??

XyZspineZyX
10-27-2003, 04:32 PM
Is there a call-up for the bombsight in any of the fighter airplanes? I can't seem to get the bombs on target with any proficiency and am sure that I'm doing something wrong. Do the fighters have provision for a bombsight or is this a case of Practice, Practice, Practice?

VICTURUS TE SALUTO

XyZspineZyX
10-27-2003, 04:32 PM
Is there a call-up for the bombsight in any of the fighter airplanes? I can't seem to get the bombs on target with any proficiency and am sure that I'm doing something wrong. Do the fighters have provision for a bombsight or is this a case of Practice, Practice, Practice?

VICTURUS TE SALUTO

XyZspineZyX
10-27-2003, 04:33 PM
nope your gunsight can also be use as a bomb sight

XyZspineZyX
10-27-2003, 04:35 PM
So it's a question of dive-bombing rather than level bombing I guess?

VICTURUS TE SALUTO

XyZspineZyX
10-27-2003, 04:37 PM
You can divebomb using the gunsight or you can simply fly low over the target - but do remember to set the delay!

S!

M0NS (authorized P39 pyrotechnician)

"Blow up the outside world"

http://www.flugwerk.de/images/01k.jpg
My garage!

XyZspineZyX
10-27-2003, 04:44 PM
Try a 35 or 45 degree angle dive. Just when the target passes the nose of your plane drop your bomb. But having your gunsight pointed at the target is not quit enough. you need the whole plane lined up with the target.

XyZspineZyX
10-27-2003, 05:12 PM
Cool thanks for the tips. So this is a matter of practicing I guess! ;lol I'll try this tonight and see how it goes. Again, thanks for the info guys. If you get anymore ideas please lmk.

VICTURUS TE SALUTO

XyZspineZyX
10-27-2003, 07:01 PM
Practice is the key. Just picture trying to hit a roadsign with a grapefruit tossed out the window of a car doing over 60 mph!

Well, don't try this at home as the people who do this are all trained professionals....nonetheless, you get the idea.

Practice, practice, practice.

A good rule of thumb is a 2 second bomb delay and try it with a bird that allows for multiple passes (there's a 109 model that carries 4 FAB 50's I believe) thus giving more practice per sortie. Also, try attacking smaller targets like AAA. If you get to where you can hit those, train cars are child's play.

Good luck /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

http://home.earthlink.net/~aclzkim1/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/il2sig2.jpg

XyZspineZyX
10-27-2003, 08:10 PM
Thanks, TB56 /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif I have a profound respect for the guys that had to do this in real life, all the while being shot at by angry enemy pilots.

VICTURUS TE SALUTO

XyZspineZyX
10-27-2003, 09:29 PM
If you want to to get really good at bombing really quickly. Turn on unlimited ammo, go to the QMB and start a mission with any fighter-bomber you like with bombs (you'll have unlimited bombs). When you start, just pick any tree or bush and attack it, and turn on external view to see where your bombs landed and just repeat this dozens of times. Try different speeds and angles of attacking too to get a feel for how the bombs travel. I went from not being able to hit anything to being able to land any bomb within about a 10-foot radius after doing this for about 30 minutes.

http://home.grics.net/~donovan/lzsymbls.jpg
"Though the course may change sometimes, rivers always reach the sea."

XyZspineZyX
10-27-2003, 09:50 PM
Oh believe me I'm all about the 'unlimited' ammo option :lol I've not specifically setup a mission just for bombing practice but that's probably what I need to do. I've done some composite missions where I have to bomb a ship or whatnot and also fight aircover. So without all those distractions perhaps some serious bomb-training could take place.

VICTURUS TE SALUTO