PDA

View Full Version : Preparing for the worst ---- while playing the best

luckyto
10-22-2013, 04:32 PM
I am more confident that Black Flag will deliver a fun game than I was with AC3 or ACR. I've seen enough to know that it will be a good game, and unless there are some serious technical issues or the story missions and story just fall flat, it will be a GREAT game.

It's entirely possible that this is the best game of the series. Lots of places to explore, immersive, fun combat, interesting stealth, lots of action, treasure, and unlockables with an interesting protagonist and engaging story.... it could be the best AC game to date...

and critics may still pan it. Some magazines have their noses so far up THE LAST OF US and GRAND THEFT AUTO IV that it's quite possible that they will knock this game, regardless of how good it is. And I just want to say that I don't care. And the rest of the fans, prepare yourself for it - come to grips with that possibility - and don't care what they say either. Word of mouth is the best advertisement there is, and if this game lives up to the promise; then I'll be the first in line to tell everyone else about it.

Shahkulu101
10-22-2013, 04:36 PM
I am more confident that Black Flag will deliver a fun game than I was with AC3 or ACR. I've seen enough to know that it will be a good game, and unless there are some serious technical issues or the story missions and story just fall flat, it will be a GREAT game.

It's entirely possible that this is the best game of the series. Lots of places to explore, immersive, fun combat, interesting stealth, lots of action, treasure, and unlockables with an interesting protagonist and engaging story.... it could be the best AC game to date...

and critics may still pan it. Some magazines have their noses so far up THE LAST OF US and GRAND THEFT AUTO IV that it's quite possible that they will knock this game, regardless of how good it is. And I just want to say that I don't care. And the rest of the fans, prepare yourself for it - come to grips with that possibility - and don't care what they say either. Word of mouth is the best advertisement there is, and if this game lives up to the promise; then I'll be the first in line to tell everyone else about it.

Pretty much my attitude going in to Black Flag. By the way though, I think The Last of Us deserved it's almost universal praise, not so much GTA though.

pacmanate
10-22-2013, 04:37 PM
To be fair AC reviews go in through my mouth and out my bum. I don't base my judgement on buying AC games from reviews, or any series I like to be honest. I feel the same way as you, the only thing this game hangs on is mission design and story.

I am also worried about sequences. Replaying AC:B there are so many leading sequence mission things. One for example is rescuing Bart's wife, The first mission is stealing armour, the second walking to the camp, and the Third is rescuing her. These could have easily been 1 who mission, and if not 1, then at least the last 2 missions being merged into one.

I absolutely hate leading missions. In shortens the length of a sequences feeling imo, those 3 missions are practically half a sequence, but they are all specifically one thing.

luckyto
10-22-2013, 04:45 PM
Oh yeah. Shahkula. LAST OF US is a great game. I loved it. :) But it's not without flaws (invisible walls, somewhat clunky control, etc); and yet they treat it like it's infallible. It may even be worthy of Game of the Year. It's in my top 5. But it still gets praise where other games are overlooked. Tomb Raider reboot had a better cover system and controls. Every AC has had the best protagonist animation compared to any other title, and one of the most intuitive control systems designed. Is GTAV's controls (shooting, driving, running, walking) really better than Just Cause 2? I doubt it.

I just fully expect the critics to be super critical of AC Black Flag after ACIII - especially as they are love-smitten currently. The community should prep itself for reviews that may not live up to what the game really deserves. I am.

adventurewomen
10-22-2013, 04:55 PM
The glass is half full.. ;)

Bastiaen
10-22-2013, 05:18 PM
I rarely trust reviewers. My own experience is that most games are way better than most people--especially reviewers--say.

xboxauditore
10-22-2013, 05:35 PM
I think that The Last of Us deserved every single praise it got, it was phenomenal.

I don't care what reviewers say, If I enjoy it, it's a good game, for me, and when I tell someone, and they disagree, that's their opinion.

STDlyMcStudpants
10-22-2013, 06:18 PM
I expect AC IV to either bump AC2 back or slip in between ACR and AC2 for my personal rankings
Highly doubt it will dethrone my beloved AC3 as #1 though :D

STDlyMcStudpants
10-22-2013, 06:22 PM
To be fair AC reviews go in through my mouth and out my bum. I don't base my judgement on buying AC games from reviews, or any series I like to be honest. I feel the same way as you, the only thing this game hangs on is mission design and story.

I am also worried about sequences. Replaying AC:B there are so many leading sequence mission things. One for example is rescuing Bart's wife, The first mission is stealing armour, the second walking to the camp, and the Third is rescuing her. These could have easily been 1 who mission, and if not 1, then at least the last 2 missions being merged into one.

I absolutely hate leading missions. In shortens the length of a sequences feeling imo, those 3 missions are practically half a sequence, but they are all specifically one thing.

Agreed except I will listen to reviews on ANY game except for AC, Uncharted, or God of War...I'm to engulfed in their stories to care if the game is a 10 or not lol..if reviewers gave their games a 1 id still play them :D
Reviewers jobs are to protect the consumers...it's up to us to decide if we should listen or not.

xXRyzonXx
10-22-2013, 08:08 PM
I appear to be of the rare opinion that AC3 was a great game and therefor I see little reason why I wouldn't enjoy AC4

luckyto
10-22-2013, 08:36 PM
I liked AC3 too. A lot of people were upset - some upset that it didn't live to their expectations, some upset with what people said. When I read stuff about ACIV, I universally see a disclaimer: ".... though most weren't happy with ACIII." So I won't be in the least bit surprised if the press goes after it --- just because.

---------

xboxauditore - I like the game. But tell me... did you really enjoy those "puzzle" sections (move ladder, swim crate, etc)? Because I found it the most uninspired horrible puzzle sections in a game in years. Personally, I think the MP is better than the SP, just me.

scooper121s
10-23-2013, 04:26 AM
Each of the AC games have been in the top ten

(Current):
1: Assassin's Creed
2: Anno 2070
3:Skyrim
4: Oblivion
5: Assassin's Creed III
6: Assassin's Creed Revelations
7: Assassin's Creed Brotherhood
8: Assassin's Creed II
9: Red Dead Redemption
10: Fable II (Don't know why :P)

STDlyMcStudpants
10-23-2013, 06:31 PM
Each of the AC games have been in the top ten

(Current):
1: Assassin's Creed
2: Anno 2070
3:Skyrim
4: Oblivion
5: Assassin's Creed III
6: Assassin's Creed Revelations
7: Assassin's Creed Brotherhood
8: Assassin's Creed II
9: Red Dead Redemption
10: Fable II (Don't know why :P)

Lol you'd be saddened by my top 10....

1. Assassin's Creed III
2. Assassin's Creed II
3. Assassin's Creed Revelations
4. Assassin's Creed Brotherhood
5. Skyrim
6. Tomb Raider 2013
7. Uncharted 2
8. Mafia II
9. Borderlands 2
10. God of War 3
1,182: Assassin's Creed

hahahaha

xboxauditore
10-23-2013, 07:19 PM
Well, since people are doing top 10's, I'll throw in mine. Because reasons.

1. The Last of Us
2. Bioshock: Infinite
3. Bioshock
4. Bioshock 2
5. Skyrim
6. Assassin's Creed 2
7. Far Cry 3
8. Assassin's Creed 3
9. Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood
10. Assassin's Creed/ Assassin's Creed: Revelations (Both contain Alta´r, So I suppose I can put them at the same level)

scooper121s
10-23-2013, 09:35 PM
STD? Seriously you hated the first game that much?! And you've played over 1'000 games :O

STDlyMcStudpants
10-23-2013, 09:45 PM
STD? Seriously you hated the first game that much?! And you've played over 1'000 games :O

Lol I didn't hate it..it was just not fun anymore after the first hour :D
plus some of the info missions were frustrating..an instant desync if I kill someone..whats up with that?!

pacmanate
10-23-2013, 09:53 PM
plus some of the info missions were frustrating..an instant desync if I kill someone..whats up with that?!

You sucked so bad the game gave up :rolleyes:

STDlyMcStudpants
10-23-2013, 10:02 PM
You sucked so bad the game gave up :rolleyes:
Lol....well it was boringgg
TBH if i was going to make a list of every game ive ever played it would make my top 40...but prob not top 30 :D

scooper121s
10-24-2013, 02:02 AM
Lol....well it was boringgg
TBH if i was going to make a list of every game ive ever played it would make my top 40...but prob not top 30 :D
AC was not boring :O

Gi1t
10-24-2013, 02:26 AM

Yeah, it's so hard not to accidentally kill someone....:rolleyes:

(well, the game did literally have an Assassinate button, but really, I never got desyncronized from accidentally killing someone. XD )

STDlyMcStudpants
10-24-2013, 05:09 AM
Yeah, it's so hard not to accidentally kill someone....:rolleyes:

(well, the game did literally have an Assassinate button, but really, I never got desyncronized from accidentally killing someone. XD )

lol really? there was info missions where you had to "knock out" 3 different guys with a freakin time limit (to add to the frustration) and ontop of that you couldnt be detected (maybe it was kill them with your hidden blade) but in AC you could only do hidden blade kills from behind...
the city is crawling with stinkin guards
all 3 targets are spread out
you literally had no time to wait for the guards to cycle through their fixed positions because of the timer...
so you couldnt stratagize or plan..i hated it lol

STDlyMcStudpants
10-24-2013, 05:13 AM
oh and then theres those stinkin maniacs that try to bite you while youre going through alley ways and they slow you down even more and or blow your cover!!!!
It was such a frustrating game..everything about it lol
Def shows it's early gen :D