PDA

View Full Version : A minor rant on Revelations (NOT involving Lucy)

GreatBeyonder
10-20-2013, 11:12 AM
Has anyone ever noticed Ahmet makes little sense as a villain?

First, the man is this close to inheriting half the known world. He owns the largest city on the planet. He starts the game with potentially far more power than any other villain in the series. On top of that, he's Grandmaster of the local Templars, giving him connections and knowledge beyond the ken of his rivals. And yet,,,

1. He allows his Templar brethren to weak havoc all over his city for no discernible reason.Why ARE there Byzantines everywhere in Constantinople making him look weak and incompetent? Why aren't they harassing Ahmet's brother, a man who actually DOES want to make some Byzantines miserable? Hell, why not just have them kill Selim and solve all his problems before Ezio shows up?

2. Ahmet gambles a LOT on the hope that whatever's in the library will lead him to the Grand Temple. We never learn why he might feel this way. Altair never discusses it, so we have no reason to believe he ever even knew about it. Its never brought up in the first three games. So where is he getting his info, then? And why does he assume that the Assassins, if they already knew 500 years ealier, wouldn;t have already found it first? And even then, what makes him think the Grand Temple is anywhere near him? In the end, all these assumptions are proven utterly false. Altair never knew about the GT, and was only protecting his Apple. The Assassins (in The Da Vinci Disappearance) and Templars (ACIII) DO find the location, but neither realize the significance and just move on. And finally, the chances of Ahmet making his way to New York are practically nonexistent,

3. And finally, the part that bugs me more than anything.... why would you TELL Ezio you're the Grandmaster? Why would you stop to explain your plots? He has minions! A lot of them! Potentially more minions than de Sable, the Borgia, and Haytham combined! Just delegate the task to someone else. The Borgias were insane, but they never ran up to the hero and said, "Hey, Ezio, let me tell you about my plan while you're just hanging around!" Even Rodrigo had the decency to wear a hood in public and never go LOOKING for Ezio. Ezio always found him behind an army of guards and a web of intrigue. What's more frustrating is he was already considered an ally. He could've just asked, "Hey Ezio... want some help with that Byzantine problem? What with you being my nephew's best friend and all..."

Mind you, I kind of like Ahmet. I like his presentation and his scenes and just being a very pleasant fellow for a Templar Grandmaster, but really, the character is quite simply not a very believable mastermind. I hope Mr. McDevitt delivers a more believable Templar plot in BF. :p

lothario-da-be
10-20-2013, 11:52 AM
Its October 2013 bro. A bit late for acr rants. But you make some good points there.

GreatBeyonder
10-20-2013, 11:59 AM
Well, I recently replayed it to get a feel for Mr. McDevitt's writing, which is why I found it relevant. But yeah, I realize everyone's thinking about pirates instead of Ottomans these days.

adventurewomen
10-20-2013, 12:01 PM
its october 2013 bro. A bit late for acr rants. But you make some good points there.
This!!

Hans684
10-20-2013, 12:32 PM
If you want to rant villains, please show all mistakes done by each villain.

Farlander1991
10-20-2013, 03:21 PM
1. He allows his Templar brethren to weak havoc all over his city for no discernible reason.Why ARE there Byzantines everywhere in Constantinople making him look weak and incompetent? Why aren't they harassing Ahmet's brother, a man who actually DOES want to make some Byzantines miserable? Hell, why not just have them kill Selim and solve all his problems before Ezio shows up?

Because he's not a regent of Constantinople, so all the things that Byzantines do in the city actually make Bayezid and Selim look weaker and more incompetent. Wasn't he a governor of the Cappadocia area or smth like that?

2. Ahmet gambles a LOT on the hope that whatever's in the library will lead him to the Grand Temple. We never learn why he might feel this way. Altair never discusses it, so we have no reason to believe he ever even knew about it. Its never brought up in the first three games. So where is he getting his info, then?

Well, we know Altair knew about the vaults and Temples, since the map is hidden on the pages of his codex. We know that Templars were at least partially in the possession of some parts of the codex during the Renaissance (the location of a vault under the Vatican is why Rodrigo wanted to become pope in the first place). And we never have actually seen the full version of Altair's codex (it was the work of his lifetime, you can't possibly think it's just 30 pages long). After all, Ezio's father mentions the library in a letter, that information is not in the codex pages that we gathered, but he most know of it from somewhere, right?

Basically, Altair knew a lot of things (though not necessarily what they all meant), and that knowledge was spread out and gathered by different parties in different ways which could lead to a lot of misinformation.

And finally, the part that bugs me more than anything.... why would you TELL Ezio you're the Grandmaster? Why would you stop to explain your plots?

This, I have no clue :D But Ahmet seems like a person who would want a direct conversation with one of the biggest mentors of the Assassins without smoke and mirrors (which, well, he does).

shobhit7777777
10-20-2013, 10:25 PM
In my experience. The best way to enjoy Assassin's Creed: Revelations is to avoid the main campaign and treat it like a Master Assassin/ Mentor simulator....by taking Constantinople back from the Templars and managing the Brotherhood

I see it as an addon to Brotherhood...Ezio travelling to the East to establish aid the Brotherhood there. I focus on the Templar Dens and my Assassin's. It easily becomes a marvellous game if treated as such.

Jack-Reacher
10-21-2013, 12:10 AM
Yeah i think AC2 + its expansions have the best gameplay in the series. I have a feeling AC4 is going to be pretty much just eye candy.

plentybeef
10-21-2013, 01:47 AM
Ahmet found Altairs belongings under their palace, which were given to the Polos. And thus the journey starts, which was really fantastic if you paid attention to what's happening. And Ahmet was playing the situation which against his brother who was off makng war. It's why Ahmet was trying to kill his nephew. Over all Darby did a really good job.

Wolfmeister1010
10-21-2013, 02:03 AM
Yeah i think AC2 + its expansions have the best gameplay in the series. I have a feeling AC4 is going to be pretty much just eye candy.

Lol, okay slick

Megas_Doux
10-21-2013, 02:10 AM
Ahmet found Altairs belongings under their palace, which were given to the Polos. And thus the journey starts, which was really fantastic if you paid attention to what's happening. And Ahmet was playing the situation which against his brother who was off makng war. It's why Ahmet was trying to kill his nephew. Over all Darby did a really good job.

Ahmet was not trying to kill Suleiman, he "just" wanted put him into some "risk" and then rescue him to gain everyone´s favour.

Sturnz0r
10-21-2013, 02:27 AM
^good recollection. Ahmet was actively seeking Ezio because he did want to have a sort of discussion, and by that I mean he wanted to make Ezio and his assassins stand aside, peacefully forcing his agenda on them

He was a different antagonist in that regard, he just should have controlled his men more, and ezio shouldn't have been so quick to judge Tarik, who was the man

LieutenantRex
10-21-2013, 03:21 AM
I didn't like Revelations when I first played it. I hated it so much that I refused to play it again, and the case and disc just sat there, gathering dust.
Then my Brotherhood disc broke, and I replayed to get a feel of the AC2-ACR combat system, and general experience. I found the game genuinely more enjoyable, perhaps because I realized how much I missed playing as Ezio, and how beautiful the water looked. I liked its story, but sometimes I thought it was too big for its own good.

jamesrosa5
10-21-2013, 04:09 AM
I don't think it'll get the chance to attack against high elo players.http://www.derrckmde.com/08.jpg

plentybeef
10-21-2013, 04:23 AM
Ahmet was not trying to kill Suleiman, he "just" wanted put him into some "risk" and then rescue him to gain everyone´s favour.

Hence playing the situation quiet well, I presume. But it just shows Darby's story telling

ze_topazio
10-21-2013, 04:21 PM
but sometimes I thought it was too big for its own good.

This might be the first time i see someone saying Revelations was too big, usually people call it short.

pirate1802
10-21-2013, 04:47 PM
This might be the first time i see someone saying Revelations was too big, usually people call it short.

hahahaha yeah lol

pacmanate
10-21-2013, 05:06 PM

Well I think Revelations is too big, in the sense that there isn't a lot to do outside the short story.

phoenix-force411
10-21-2013, 08:33 PM
Templars weren't a huge concentration, but mainly something that just sort of got in the way. You find yourself searching for answers more. But it was pretty sad that Tarik had to die because of misunderstanding....

phoenix-force411
10-21-2013, 08:36 PM
I loved Revelations, and it brought back a lot of Drama and Nostalgia. Being able to see the last moments of Altair and Ezio's final stand, ACR was a great game that people underrated because it was another Ezio game. If you can play Zelda, you can play ACR.

ze_topazio
10-21-2013, 09:20 PM
The unnecessary overdramatic drama is what i didn't like about Revelations.