PDA

View Full Version : ACIV: Last Minute Concerns

Wolfmeister1010
10-20-2013, 04:52 AM
Many people saw that first review of the game by that french magazine. I hope I don't get suspended for bringing it up. But long story short, it got an AMAZING review. The same score as GTAV got in that magazine.

But if you are like me, there are always concerns that I have until the moment I get the game. I am sure that this game will be the best in the series! But I need to vent a few of my last concerns, and maybe you all have some as well. I will type down a few of my last minute minuscule concerns.

1. Crouching after stalking zones- I thought this was a thing, but in recent videos Ed has stood up immediately after exiting stalking zones. I wonder if the feature is still there, and how is it controlled? Is it automatic? Affecting by time or distance? Does it still exist? I sure hope so.

2. Auto-lock "highlight" function- you know what I am talking about? Whenever you look at a guard, they get a white highlight outline that shows that they are targeted for a possibly quick shot with a ranged weapon. I can understand the use of this feature, but I always feel that it should be a turn off-able feature for immersion. In the first Havana stealth demo http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=kXSaqyChZ_E the whole HUD was off, and at he end, he quickshot two guards without the highlight appearing. I hope this is a feature you can have in the game. I asked Mr. Darby, Ashraf, and @assassinscreed on twitter about it, so maybe I will get an answer. Let me just take this moment to (on a completely unrelated topic) say how intelligent, talented, funny and handsome Darby is.

Jexx21
10-20-2013, 04:58 AM
your first question was answered by mr shade or someone else already.

if you walk slowly out of crouching zones you will stay done for a few seconds but you can't do a run crouch out of them. So if you run out of them you won't crouch.

Wolfmeister1010
10-20-2013, 05:14 AM
Darby is one of the most ugly pieces of corporate poop I've ever seen. He just leeches off of his hard working boss, Yves Guilliemont.
I have AC4 already, I got it early, but I won't spoil the horrible ending for you all who still have your hopes up.

He often reads these threads. So..

Wolfmeister1010
10-20-2013, 05:20 AM
I don't mean ugly in physical attractiveness either, I mean personality. I met him at ComicCon this year... Horrible individual to speak with. He completely ignored me half our conversation.

Oh really! That is so interesting! What did you guys talk about?!

Sigv4rd
10-20-2013, 05:22 AM
I hope they expand on crouching mechanics in AC5...

Wolfmeister1010
10-20-2013, 05:23 AM
I hope they expand on crouching mechanics in AC5...

Me as well. Hopefully they will finally just give us full, pure, crouching.

pirate1802
10-20-2013, 05:26 AM
So how does the hood/no hood thing work? I guess Ol' Eddy would have his hood up in restricted areas and within story missions but off elsewhere?

Wolfmeister1010
10-20-2013, 05:29 AM
So how does the hood/no hood thing work? I guess Ol' Eddy would have his hood up in restricted areas and within story missions but off elsewhere?

When just walking through the streets, he has his hood down, to add to the calm ambience, but when he is in a restricted area, or in a dangerous situation, he puts it on.

Sigv4rd
10-20-2013, 05:34 AM
When just walking through the streets, he has his hood down, to add to the calm ambience, but when he is in a restricted area, or in a dangerous situation, he puts it on.

Makes me wonder if he keeps it on in the bedroom :cool:
/JK
So anyone else concerned that the 4 pistol thing is gonna be the new "win button"?

pirate1802
10-20-2013, 05:37 AM

Naise. I likey.

HypeR.tgL
10-20-2013, 05:40 AM
With the hood thing, when you've finished the game's main story missions, they need to have a hood on/off option at the weapon selection cross. It would be freaking awesome to take off your hood and put it on at will.

Sigv4rd
10-20-2013, 05:41 AM
Seriously killing four soldiers in a row instantly is concerning... Especially if this game has Duckfoot Pistols!

Jexx21
10-20-2013, 05:43 AM
Me as well. Hopefully they will finally just give us full, pure, crouching.

What about contextual crouching? Cause I don't think adding the ability to crouch whenever we want makes much sense.

Jexx21
10-20-2013, 05:44 AM
Seriously killing four soldiers in a row instantly is concerning... Especially if this game has Duckfoot Pistols!

wut. This game will most likely not have duckfoot pistols. We don't even have dual barrel pistols. And you could do that in AC3 and Liberation as well. Not that concerning considering reload times and all.

Sigv4rd
10-20-2013, 05:58 AM
wut. This game will most likely not have duckfoot pistols. We don't even have dual barrel pistols. And you could do that in AC3 and Liberation as well. Not that concerning considering reload times and all.

I wan't aware we didn't have double barrel pistols :)
Still 4 instant kills at the push of a button seems a bit OP IMHO

Jexx21
10-20-2013, 06:48 AM
I wan't aware we didn't have double barrel pistols :)
Still 4 instant kills at the push of a button seems a bit OP IMHO

As I said, it's really not when you consider the amount of enemies plus reload times and the fact that we could do it in AC3 and Liberation.

Sigv4rd
10-20-2013, 07:01 AM
As I said, it's really not when you consider the amount of enemies plus reload times and the fact that we could do it in AC3 and Liberation.

True but if you kill: The Captain, Heavy, Agile, and a Grunt that only leaves the Drummer (are they still in AC4?) and another grunt...

Jexx21
10-20-2013, 07:04 AM
Yea but in some of the gameplay trailers we saw it takes 2 or 3 shots to kill one of the archetypes.

lothario-da-be
10-20-2013, 08:14 AM
I have a lot more concerns then you OP.
- too small cities
- broken stealth again
- a short game
- useless modern day
- underdevelopped side missions
- Caribbean less explorable then we thought
- Too much naval
:p

AC2_alex
10-20-2013, 08:37 AM
- too small cities
- broken stealth again
- a short game
- useless modern day
- Too much naval

I don't think anyone has reason to be worried about most of these things :|

lothario-da-be
10-20-2013, 08:49 AM
I don't think anyone has reason to be worried about most of these things :|
I have, no ac3 situation this time.

jayjay275
10-20-2013, 08:53 AM
Do we actually get ambient music in the retail product? I have heard a "Yes." from Ashraf....

pirate1802
10-20-2013, 09:09 AM
Do we actually get ambient music in the retail product? I have heard a "Yes." from Ashraf....

There was ambient music in one of the recent Playstation Access videos when Eddy was roaming in Havana.

jayjay275
10-20-2013, 09:14 AM
There was ambient music in one of the recent Playstation Access videos when Eddy was roaming in Havana.

I know. But was there ambient music in the AC3 E3 demo? Then look at the retail product... :-(

Jexx21
10-20-2013, 09:25 AM
- too small cities
- broken stealth again
- a short game
- useless modern day
- Too much naval

-city size doesn't matter
-only issue would be under-utilization of stealth, the stealth was fine in AC3, besides guard detection
-no AC game has been short (40 hours in all, except AC1 and ACR which I got 30 hours)
-how?

rest I can't comment on

pirate1802
10-20-2013, 09:57 AM
I know. But was there ambient music in the AC3 E3 demo? Then look at the retail product... :-(

Right but those were E3 demos, made specifically for E3. These seem to be parts of the actual game, and this close to release.

Legendz54
10-20-2013, 10:17 AM
My only Concern is the quality of the story in this game and how much stuff there is to do.

HypeR.tgL
10-20-2013, 10:24 AM
For me, if the game doesn't have any game breaking glitches for free running and stealth, I'll gladly just run around havana double assassinating people for hours. It's all I do in AC 3 atm lol.

ACfan443
10-20-2013, 12:29 PM
-city size doesn't matter

To you it doesn't, but to me and quite a few others it does. Too large a city and you're left with a sparse environment with diluted content. Too small a city and you'll feel a sense of confinement and over-familiarity, reaching the border of the city in less than a few minutes doesn't exactly sound fun (imo).

A dense, moderately sized city sounds ideal to me.

rob.davies2014
10-20-2013, 12:43 PM
I would also like to be able to turn off the enemy highlight feature. I think once you're used to the game it would be possible to play without it and it would immerse the player more if enemies didn't have a bright white border.

AssassinHMS
10-20-2013, 12:49 PM
Will the player be forced to buy/use the blowpipe and, for some reason, won't be able to remove it?

AlexCleysson
10-20-2013, 01:09 PM
To you it doesn't, but to me and quite a few others it does. Too large a city and you're left with a sparse environment with diluted content. Too small a city and you'll feel a sense of confinement and over-familiarity, reaching the border of the city in less than a few minutes doesn't exactly sound fun (imo).

A dense, moderately sized city sounds ideal to me.

In a playstation access video you can see the size of Havana when the guy synchronize... It's not that small.

ACfan443
10-20-2013, 02:13 PM
In a playstation access video you can see the size of Havana when the guy synchronize... It's not that small.

Did I say it was? Or did I specify a particular city? I was talking about city sizes in general.
And I've seen the playstation access video, Havana does look a little on the small side, but maybe after I've played the game and explored it fully I'll feel differently.

Wolfmeister1010
10-20-2013, 02:29 PM
For those of you concerned bout the pistols being op: chaining quickshots substantially decreases damage of the pistols. I remember seeing this somewhere a few days ago

GreySkellig
10-20-2013, 03:02 PM
For those of you concerned bout the pistols being op: chaining quickshots substantially decreases damage of the pistols. I remember seeing this somewhere a few days ago

This is correct. If you watch the chain-shots in most of the recent videos, you'll notice they are not a one-shot-kill. It has been explained that this is
1) To avoid the sort of "win button" scenario people are concerned about
2) To push you to use the new free-aim and aim for the head.
3) To use the chain-shots mid-combo to break a guard's defense or to ward off an attack.

It seems like only end-game pistols will be able to one-shot most archetypes.

Regardless, even if the chain-shots were an insta-kill, it would be no worse than the Royal Pistols in AC3. Those completely defeated stealth. I would double-assassinate, squeeze in another quick double if I was lucky before the patrol turned on me, rope dart and Brutes/Captains to the ground for a finishing move, and then whip out the Royals to kill everyone left standing. Whole group of eight or nine guys dead in ten seconds. Everybody's so concerned about pistols being overpowered in this game--they were OP back in AC3, and Ash has said that while they're more integrated into the combat now, they're actually less of a "win button."

bismp
10-20-2013, 03:34 PM
My concern is about how they manged to make such a big game in 2 years!this game has completely new seting,characters,cities,a massive ocean and improved gameplay(naval and hopefully stealth).all these changes were done in both current and newt gen.so how did they do it?

Mr_Shade
10-20-2013, 03:49 PM
My concern is about how they manged to make such a big game in 2 years!this game has completely new seting,characters,cities,a massive ocean and improved gameplay(naval and hopefully stealth).all these changes were done in both current and newt gen.so how did they do it?
Magic;)

They have had many people in many different teams working in this ;)

dxsxhxcx
10-20-2013, 03:59 PM
my concern is about this new eagle vision becoming something permanent on the franchise, I didn't like the way it works (see through walls make things too easy and we can see tagged guards through other people's and Edward's body as well), if at least this "tag" vanished a few seconds later like it used to happen on the previous games it would be better, I wouldn't mind that much if we were only able to see through walls while the eagle vision is on (since we can avoid using it) but do it with EV turned off is really strange, ugly and immersion breaking...

pacmanate
10-20-2013, 04:09 PM
my concern is about this new eagle vision becoming something permanent on the franchise, I didn't like the way it works (see through walls make things too easy and we can see tagged guards through other people's and Edward's body as well), if at least this "tag" vanished a few seconds later like it used to happen on the previous games it would be better, I wouldn't mind that much if we were only able to see through walls while the eagle vision is on (since we can avoid using it) but do it with EV turned off is really strange, ugly and immersion breaking...

Imo the need to stop "upgrading" Eagle Vision. Just let us press it, highlight targets. And thats it. No wall hacks.

Sturnz0r
10-20-2013, 04:17 PM
Did I say it was? Or did I specify a particular city? I was talking about city sizes in general.
And I've seen the playstation access video, Havana does look a little on the small side, but maybe after I've played the game and explored it fully I'll feel differently.

did the access crew ever synch the inland waypoints, though?

ACfan443
10-20-2013, 04:41 PM
did the access crew ever synch the inland waypoints, though?

Not in that preview, but Escapist news did in the gamescom preview: http://youtu.be/JGV_yjQqSE8 @3:36
In spite of the fact that it's dense and beautiful, its size is a concern for me.

bismp
10-20-2013, 04:57 PM
Magic;)

They have had many people in many different teams working in this ;)

I know :-/ .what i am saying is that 2 years is too small period ,even for 100 people(i think i heard this number in one interview).you can't produce the best game of the series,let alone of the year in that time. I hope that i am wrong though :D

Wolfmeister1010
10-20-2013, 05:15 PM
Not in that preview, but Escapist news did in the gamescom preview: http://youtu.be/JGV_yjQqSE8 @3:36
In spite of the fact that it's dense and beautiful, its size is a concern for me.

It looks perfect to me.

lothario-da-be
10-20-2013, 05:18 PM
I know :-/ .what i am saying is that 2 years is too small period ,even for 100 people(i think i heard this number in one interview).you can't produce the best game of the series,let alone of the year in that time. I hope that i am wrong though :D
100?! Hahaha well guessed bro, its more like 100 in Ubi Montreal only.

breakdownthewall
10-20-2013, 05:20 PM
What french magazine review are you talking about? What score did they give the game?

My only concern is about the modern day portion of the game. We haven't seen anything yet except for a few screenshots. I'm one of the few people out there who really cares about the modern day story and would really like to see what happened with the rest of the crew after the events that took place in AC3.

Wolfmeister1010
10-20-2013, 05:22 PM
What french magazine review are you talking about? What score did they give the game?

My only concern is about the modern day portion of the game. We haven't seen anything yet except for a few screenshots. I'm one of the few people out there who really cares about the modern day story and would really like to see what happened with the rest of the crew after the events that took place in AC3.

The first leaked review for AC4 was an 18/20. Same score gtaV got in that magazine.

4/5 for gameplay, 4/5 for graphics, 5/5 for game length, 5/5 for soundtrack.

Edit: the magazine is called Jeux Video Magazine.

Mr_Shade
10-20-2013, 05:26 PM
If you are going to post scores - at least have the courtesy to name the magazine..

bismp
10-20-2013, 05:29 PM
100?! Hahaha well guessed bro, its more like 100 in Ubi Montreal only.

Well my mistake then :nonchalance:.but that's not the point.assassin's creed games should focus on getting the game of the year award ,rather than just getting a game out every year.i bet that by June 2014 ac 5 will be announced...nevermind,i just don't want the series to decline

lothario-da-be
10-20-2013, 05:34 PM
Well my mistake then :nonchalance:.but that's not the point.assassin's creed games should focus on getting the game of the year award ,rather than just getting a game out every year.i bet that by June 2014 ac 5 will be announced...nevermind,i just don't want the series to decline
The next ac is already in production by ubi Toronto. Confirmed.

Jexx21
10-20-2013, 05:44 PM
Ubi Toronto isn't the leading studio on it though, according to Jade Raymond. That's still Montreal.

Montreal and Toronto are just the two major studios working on it.

Jexx21
10-20-2013, 05:46 PM

GOTY awards are just popularity contests. The devs of AC games should just focus on doing what they want to do with the game, as all developers should do.

Also, the devs aren't the people who set the deadlines.

WeamDreaver
10-20-2013, 06:10 PM
I would also like to be able to turn off the enemy highlight feature. I think once you're used to the game it would be possible to play without it and it would immerse the player more if enemies didn't have a bright white border.

That's one of the biggest concerns. All that bling bling, helping lines, icons, text messages constantly popping up, go here, shoot that, overlay symbols...

It's like they are making the game for 6 year old kids. Just give us one single button to turn it all off.

Sturnz0r
10-20-2013, 06:29 PM

nice mcdevit interview... my thoughts, even if Havana is only as big as the golden horn of Constantinopli, for example or somewhere between Florence and Monteriggioni, there are still the small islands ((or smaller pieces of big jungles)) that are either unsettled, pirate settlements, plantations or smuggler's coves, and of course Kingston, Nassau, and the DLC city if you want moar
I know :-/ .what i am saying is that 2 years is too small period ,even for 100 people(i think i heard this number in one interview).you can't produce the best game of the series,let alone of the year in that time. I hope that i am wrong though http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/biggrin.png
I heard 900 people worked on it; weekdays at 8 hours for 2+ years yields 3.5 million labour hours; there probably weren't 900 working on it for the duration, but that is pretty sizeable, nonetheless

Mr_Shade
10-20-2013, 06:43 PM
Exclusive answers incoming:

HUD:

'You can turn off the HUD, yes. We call this "dev mode," because it makes the game more challenging and you get to focus on just the graphics. Plus, you have to navigate by using the pause map instead of the minimap... although, this could be a lot easier with the Companion App, I guess.

Turning off the entire HUD removes most visual cues, but not all... the highlighting you mentioned remains (white outline around potential targets) as well as the cross hairs that appear when manually targeting using the pistol (which will put a white outline around targets when you point the gun directly at them by pressing and holding the left trigger). This does not apply to civilians, however, only guards and soldiers.

Sidequest messages will also still appear (you'll see a message appear on the screen if there are pirates to save or a courier nearby). And a notification when you enter a restricted area.'

Eagle Vision Tagging:

'The Eagle Vision tagging system also works without the HUD, so if you don't want to tag targets using Eagle Vision, you should avoid putting them in the center of the screen while EV is active.'

So, some answers, maybe not what everyone wanted - however this is how the HUD system works and also info about the tagging which many seem to wonder about.

WeamDreaver
10-20-2013, 06:53 PM
Good to know, but does it also turn off the target lines during naval battle and all the icons above the ships?

Mr_Shade
10-20-2013, 07:00 PM
Good to know, but does it also turn off the target lines during naval battle and all the icons above the ships?
I will see what I can find out.

Shahkulu101
10-20-2013, 07:01 PM
Very nice news about the HUD. ;)

I want to know something however: If we are not using the mini-map and we bring up the main map and set a marker to our destination - will the marker be visible on-screen like in AC3 showing us the general direction in which to go?

SGT-Achilless
10-20-2013, 07:09 PM

HUD:

'You can turn off the HUD, yes. We call this "dev mode," because it makes the game more challenging and you get to focus on just the graphics. Plus, you have to navigate by using the pause map instead of the minimap... although, this could be a lot easier with the Companion App, I guess.

Turning off the entire HUD removes most visual cues, but not all... the highlighting you mentioned remains (white outline around potential targets) as well as the cross hairs that appear when manually targeting using the pistol (which will put a white outline around targets when you point the gun directly at them by pressing and holding the left trigger). This does not apply to civilians, however, only guards and soldiers.

Sidequest messages will also still appear (you'll see a message appear on the screen if there are pirates to save or a courier nearby). And a notification when you enter a restricted area.'

Eagle Vision Tagging:

'The Eagle Vision tagging system also works without the HUD, so if you don't want to tag targets using Eagle Vision, you should avoid putting them in the center of the screen while EV is active.'

So, some answers, maybe not what everyone wanted - however this is how the HUD system works and also info about the tagging which many seem to wonder about. that's awesome.

WeamDreaver
10-20-2013, 07:10 PM
To be more specific, imagine this scene without all the cluttered overlay, icons etc.

[image removed]

Mr_Shade
10-20-2013, 07:16 PM

I want to know something however: If we are not using the mini-map and we bring up the main map and set a marker to our destination - will the marker be visible on-screen like in AC3 showing us the general direction in which to go?
From what was said - you need to use the main map to navigate, so no on screen markers for waypoints.

You use the pause screen map - or - the companion app to find your way..

I will try and double check though.

Mr_Shade
10-20-2013, 07:17 PM
To be more specific, imagine this scene without all the cluttered overlay, icons etc.

[image removed]
I understand the question.

I suggest you use a image host - without pop ups to adult sites in future though ;)

'Targeting icons above ships work differently in naval combat... you'll get a persistent target marker if you look through your spyglass and MARK the ship manually (and you can only ever mark one at a time), but ships directly involved in combat will display a health bar over them.

Turning off the HUD removes all of these effects though, leaving only some guides when firing cannons and a transparent red warning of enemy ships firing lanes (when they are about to fire).'

pacmanate
10-20-2013, 07:20 PM
I understand the question.

I suggest you use a image host - without pop ups to adult sites in future though ;)

Darn it, I was too late!

Mr_Shade
10-20-2013, 07:23 PM
Darn it, I was too late!
I'm sure you already have them bookmarked ;)

FourDea123
10-20-2013, 07:24 PM
Thanks for this info do you know if its possible to turn off the glowing things like the lifts and the corpses whilst keeping the rest of the hud

Mr_Shade
10-20-2013, 07:30 PM

As I said - HUD off removes the markers..

'You have to keep checking the map, with the HUD turned off there is no visible indication of the direction of a waypoint outside of the map (which will show the precise direction the Jackdaw is facing... I know we had some trouble with that showing up on the maps before).

So, if you want a seriously immersive experience, you'll get the Companion App and turn off the in-game minimap so you can chart your course in real-time on the second screen and listen to yer mates belt out a randy, dandy sea chantie with only the salt spray and the unforgettable scent of opportunity and riches buffeting your face from the main screen.'

Hope that wonderful answer - answers your question ;)

ACfan443
10-20-2013, 07:36 PM
I'm sure you already have them bookmarked ;)

Hahahaha.

WeamDreaver
10-20-2013, 07:36 PM
Again:

http://abload.de/thumb/hudgjbrv.jpg (http://abload.de/image.php?img=hudgjbrv.jpg)

Mr_Shade
10-20-2013, 07:39 PM
Again:

http://abload.de/thumb/hudgjbrv.jpg (http://abload.de/image.php?img=hudgjbrv.jpg)I answered your question..

Mr_Shade
10-20-2013, 07:39 PM
Thanks for this info do you know if its possible to turn off the glowing things like the lifts and the corpses whilst keeping the rest of the hud
'Pulley lifts have a very mild scintillating animus pattern on them, so they'll sort of pulse with a white triangle texture (as will shopkeepers you can interact with).

Bodies you can pick up will highlight only if you get close and look directly at them and highlight with the standard white outline. Weapons you can pick up (like those dropped by enemies) will also highlight in the same way, but at a slightly further distance.

Stealth indicator still will show up, so when you blend with a group, you'll get the stealth web-tracers appearing and Edward and the blend group turn grey.'

The team hope you guys will enjoy the HUD being turned off, since they look forward to you all having an emmersive gaming experience, also those that record Videos for YouTube, this should make for some amazing videos - showcasing the games graphics :)

EllJim
10-20-2013, 07:57 PM
'Targeting icons above ships work differently in naval combat... you'll get a persistent target marker if you look through your spyglass and MARK the ship manually (and you can only ever mark one at a time), but ships directly involved in combat will display a health bar over them.

Turning off the HUD removes all of these effects though, leaving only some guides when firing cannons and a transparent red warning of enemy ships firing lanes (when they are about to fire).'

Would you mind awfully asking for a definition of "some guides when firing cannons" I.e. are we talking about AC3 where you like the enemy had only a firing lane? Or does the full height,arc elivation indicator remain.

I know it's nit picking, but I am one of the few Age of sail fanatics looking to have hard as possible ship combat :D

Also have you had an answer to the question I asked last week regarding the digital deluxe RRP and availability on Xbox live?

I appreciate your inundated so any answer is thankfully received.

Wolfmeister1010
10-20-2013, 08:06 PM
Thanks for the answers Mr Shade. I am not quite happy with it, but it is nice to know. I can also understand why it is an unturnoffable feature.

I-Like-Pie45
10-20-2013, 08:10 PM
Mr. Shade

are there rideable dinosaurs in this game

I wanna be able to get Canner, Hackamitchtam, Adverale, and Eduwade onto t-rexes

pacmanate
10-20-2013, 08:12 PM
Thanks for the answers Mr Shade. I am not quite happy with it, but it is nice to know. I can also understand why it is an unturnoffable feature.

Not happy with what?

Mr_Shade
10-20-2013, 08:12 PM
Would you mind awfully asking for a definition of "some guides when firing cannons" I.e. are we talking about AC3 where you like the enemy had only a firing lane? Or does the full height,arc elivation indicator remain.

I know it's nit picking, but I am one of the few Age of sail fanatics looking to have hard as possible ship combat :D

Also have you had an answer to the question I asked last week regarding the digital deluxe RRP and availability on Xbox live?

I appreciate your inundated so any answer is thankfully received.

Just checking for you, can't promise an answer today, since it is the weekend.

re: Xbox Live - I'm sorry but we don't have any info on that at present, it will be down to the retailer - in this case, Microsoft, so you could try contacting their support and ask.

ladyleonhart
10-20-2013, 08:14 PM
My only ACIV concern is if the postman throws my 'Skull Edition' over the fence into the garden and it is raining! >_<

Then, I will be getting up early to make sure that doesn't happen and so that I can play it as soon as it arrives!! ;)

pacmanate
10-20-2013, 08:17 PM
My only ACIV concern is if the postman throws my 'Skull Edition' over the fence into the garden and it is raining! >_<

Then, I will be getting up early to make sure that doesn't happen and so that I can play it as soon as it arrives!! ;)

Just do what I do when I know the postman is coming, either keep looking out the window or sit on the stairs looking at the door.

For Blacklist I was staring at the window for a postman and the HOTTEST girl walked past but she thought I was staring at her bum. Obviously I wasn't....

BUT I DID AFTERWARDS.

It made the wait easier.

Wolfmeister1010
10-20-2013, 08:25 PM
Not happy with what?

That we cant turn off the highlight autolock function. It kinda breaks immersion, but I guess it is necessary for gameplay reasons.

rob.davies2014
10-20-2013, 08:55 PM
Thanks Mr_Shade for those answers.
I don't know how much of a demand there would be for this feature to be optional but I'd really appreciate it if you could mention it to the Devs.

Mr_Shade
10-20-2013, 08:57 PM
Thanks Mr_Shade for those answers.
I don't know how much of a demand there would be for this feature to be optional but I'd really appreciate it if you could mention it to the Devs.
The team will be collecting feedback on the game after release - I suggest you bring it up in the official thread, so others can also support it, should they feel the same.

AC2_alex
10-20-2013, 09:10 PM
I have, no ac3 situation this time.

No. What do you even mean?

tkarenko
10-20-2013, 09:46 PM

HUD:

Eagle Vision Tagging:

So, some answers, maybe not what everyone wanted - however this is how the HUD system works and also info about the tagging which many seem to wonder about.

Do you know if the "companion app" will be available on smartphones? I've only head the devs mention tablets in some interviews.

Shahkulu101
10-20-2013, 10:48 PM
As I said - HUD off removes the markers..

'You have to keep checking the map, with the HUD turned off there is no visible indication of the direction of a waypoint outside of the map (which will show the precise direction the Jackdaw is facing... I know we had some trouble with that showing up on the maps before).

So, if you want a seriously immersive experience, you'll get the Companion App and turn off the in-game minimap so you can chart your course in real-time on the second screen and listen to yer mates belt out a randy, dandy sea chantie with only the salt spray and the unforgettable scent of opportunity and riches buffeting your face from the main screen.'

Hope that wonderful answer - answers your question ;)

Thanks Shade - you answered the question fully. I may have to keep the mini-map then but everything else I believe should be okay turned off.

That is if we are allowed to do as such... ;) (hintity hint hint)

Sushiglutton
10-20-2013, 10:49 PM
That the gameplay has not evolved enough from AC3.

shobhit7777777
10-21-2013, 12:18 AM

To be honest, AC3's gameplay was ok...it was the mission design and the sandbox that was lacking...IMO

Combat - sorted...no problems with it
Freerunning - fantastic...loved it...animations..fluidity..great
Stealth - corner cover, abductions, hiding spots, 2 person blending etc. good stuff

If only they could ever provide an ACR/ACB like Borgia Towers or Templar Dens where its just you, the city, the crowds and an enemy stronghold in the midst for you to demolish.....and maybe not completely **** up the main missions.

Wolfmeister1010
10-21-2013, 12:23 AM
To be honest, AC3's gameplay was ok...it was the mission design and the sandbox that was lacking...IMO

Stealth - corner cover, abductions, hiding spots, 2 person blending etc. good stuff

If only they could ever provide an ACR/ACB like Borgia Towers or Templar Dens where its just you, the city, the crowds and an enemy stronghold in the midst for you to demolish.....and maybe not completely **** up the main missions.
Agreed, except that stealth was just not good in general. There are a few reasons why stealth didnt work in AC3.

1. Mission design did not promote stealth.
2. Inconsistent and psychic guard AI (see through walls, detect you from far away air assassinations, can find you no matte where you are if you are not in a hiding place.)

The problems with stealth went far beyond poor mission design.

Wolfmeister1010
10-21-2013, 12:24 AM

:rolleyes:

Jexx21
10-21-2013, 12:31 AM
Agreed, except that stealth was just not good in general. There are a few reasons why stealth didnt work in AC3.

1. Mission design did not promote stealth.
2. Inconsistent and psychic guard AI (see through walls, detect you from far away air assassinations, can find you no matte where you are if you are not in a hiding place.)

The problems with stealth went far beyond poor mission design.

that has nothing to do with the stealth mechanics though...

TheHumanTowel
10-21-2013, 12:36 AM
that has nothing to do with the stealth mechanics though...
lol enemy AI and detection is obviously a huge part of stealth mechanics.

Jexx21
10-21-2013, 12:40 AM
lol, It's it's own thing because it isn't just a part of stealth mechanics it's also a part of combat mechanics.

TheHumanTowel
10-21-2013, 12:46 AM
lol, It's it's own thing because it isn't just a part of stealth mechanics it's also a part of combat mechanics.
Are you serious? How guards detect you and AI isn't a part of stealth mechanics? Part of combat mechanics? Yeah, once your detected combat is triggered. Just like nearly every stealth game ever. Doesn't exactly change anything. What is a part of your strangely specific definition of "stealth mechanics" then?

Jexx21
10-21-2013, 12:47 AM
read properly

Sushiglutton
10-21-2013, 12:55 AM

To be honest it was not ok ;).

My big overall issue with AC's gameplay is that the learning curve is too flat and the skill ceiling too low. I love good gameplay, that is my passion when it comes to videogames. I like to practice, become better, finally get to a level when it clicks and then just get that sense of perfect flow. Recent games like Vanquish, Devil May Cry, Mirror's Edge, Arkham City, they all have that magic (in various degrees). Sadly AC does not.

Combat lacks both in number of moves, depth (oppurtunities to chain moves together in interesting ways), smoothness (clunky interface for gadgets and some of the moves like human shield) and enemy archetypes. It plateaus too quickly to be engaging. The double counter system is poorly paced and unbalanced.

The only thing you really control in parkour is the direction. This makes the system unprecise and unrewarding as the game is doing everything for you. When there is a challenge (like in chase sequences) the difficulty comes from small errors in directional input. This is more frustrating than fun.

Stealth was semi-broken in terms of detection and AI-behaviour. Stealth is ok though as an overall gameplay system as it offers enough variety and strategies to feel rewarding.

The fact that the combat/parkour are so easily mastered and flat is a massive problem for the mission designers. If combat/parkour provided enough depth and variety to be engaging in their own right a fun mission could be one that simply pitched you against a bunch of enemies, or forced to run quickly form A to B (this is all you do in many games all the time without them ever felling repetitive or restricted). In other words the choices and opportunities for creativity in these missions would come from within the various systems. Sadly this approach did not work in Ac3 as the core systems were lacking. When they tried (like the Lee chase) the result was a disaster.

The mission designers instead tried to force variety from the outside by constructing various low-quality mini-mechanics, an approach that sadly weas even more catastrophic.

TheHumanTowel
10-21-2013, 12:55 AM
read properly
All I see is you contradicting yourself. You said in your last post it's a part of stealth mechanics but the fact that detection triggers combat holds some unknown significance. But in your post before that you say AI and detection has nothing to do with stealth mechanics.

Wolfmeister1010
10-21-2013, 12:59 AM

....okay...but it is part of stealth mechanics. If you are gonna try to argue my point, at least dont contradict yourself. Then it becomes quite confusing for me.

shobhit7777777
10-21-2013, 01:01 AM
All I see is you contradicting yourself. You said in your last post it's a part of stealth mechanics but the fact that detection triggers combat holds some unknown significance. But in your post before that you say AI and detection has nothing to do with stealth mechanics.

You both are right...sort of

What Jexx is implying that "Mechanics" here denote the abilities and tools the player character has - ability to take corner-cover, ability to hide in bushes, ability to whistle and attract guards etc...which are strictly centered around 'Stealth'. AI as a system is tied into other things...ergo not specific to stealth
Am I right?

Wolfmeister1010
10-21-2013, 01:05 AM
To be honest it was not ok ;).

My big overall issue with AC's gameplay is that the learning curve is too flat and the skill ceiling too low. I love good gameplay, that is my passion when it comes to videogames. I like to practice, become better, finally get to a level when it clicks and then just get that sense of perfect flow. Recent games like Vanquish, Devil May Cry, Mirror's Edge, Arkham City, they all have that magic (in various degrees). Sadly AC does not.

Combat lacks both in number of moves, depth (oppurtunities to chain moves together in interesting ways), smoothness (clunky interface for gadgets and some of the moves like human shield) and enemy archetypes. It plateaus too quickly to be engaging. The double counter system is poorly paced and unbalanced.

The only thing you really control in parkour is the direction. This makes the system unprecise and unrewarding as the game is doing everything for you. When there is a challenge (like in chase sequences) the difficulty comes from small errors in directional input. This is more frustrating than fun.

Stealth was semi-broken in terms of detection and AI-behaviour. Stealth is ok though as an overall gameplay system as it offers enough variety and strategies to feel rewarding.

The fact that the combat/parkour are so easily mastered and flat is a massive problem for the mission designers. If combat/parkour provided enough depth and variety to be engaging in their own right a fun mission could be one that simply pitched you against a bunch of enemies, or forced to run quickly form A to B (this is all you do in many games all the time without them ever felling repetitive or restricted). In other words the choices and opportunities for creativity in these missions would come from within the various core systems. Sadly this approach did not work in Ac3 as the systems did not have enough meat on them. When they tried (like the Lee chase) the result was a disaster.

The mission designers instead tried to force variety from the outside by constructing various low-quality mini-mechanics that sadly were even more catastrophic.

I agree with your arguments on stealth, but disagree about the combat and parkour.

While parkour in ac3 can sometimes be difficult to conteol, it is the most fluid parkour system of all the ACs, and does not suffer from accidental suicide jumps anymore (unless you like to hold A while climbing)

And I thought that the combat in Ac3 was great. It had its faults, like wide counter windows and easy enemies, but I thought that the human shield worked fine, and the double counters were always fluid and fun. Bit you are right about how the chaining gadgets did not work well. Using the quickshot pistol did not work well in combat, and the ropedart was useless and clunky. I was hoping it could be used to drag enemies in for a human shield, but alas... Fortunately, improvements to chaining weapons together in combat is one of the main focuses to combat in AC4.

I-Like-Pie45
10-21-2013, 01:06 AM
i worry that we won't be able to high five our crewmates

Wolfmeister1010
10-21-2013, 01:07 AM
i worry that we won't be able to high five our crewmates

Me too

Sushiglutton
10-21-2013, 01:22 AM
I agree with your arguments on stealth, but disagree about the combat and parkour.

While parkour in ac3 can sometimes be difficult to conteol, it is the most fluid parkour system of all the ACs, and does not suffer from accidental suicide jumps anymore (unless you like to hold A while climbing)

And I thought that the combat in Ac3 was great. It had its faults, like wide counter windows and easy enemies, but I thought that the human shield worked fine, and the double counters were always fluid and fun. Bit you are right about how the chaining gadgets did not work well. Using the quickshot pistol did not work well in combat, and the ropedart was useless and clunky. I was hoping it could be used to drag enemies in for a human shield, but alas... Fortunately, improvements to chaining weapons together in combat is one of the main focuses to combat in AC4.

Problem with parkour for me is that the game does too much. That it's fluid is not that big of an achievement when the game does the all the work. A better system would be one that made it easy to get from point A to B, but in order to do so quickly you would need to choose and time some of the moves properly.

Pretty sure the devs disagree about human shields as I have read it has been tweaked (I think). Have two issues with double counters. First is how it balance with the overall system. When two enemies attack at once, that should be something bad for you. But with dual counters it allows for two instat kills with no ammo loss (compare that to a normal counter). The animation is also way too long and the change in cameral angle pulls the player out from the action into spectator mode, which is a buzz-killer for me.

Wolfmeister1010
10-21-2013, 01:33 AM
Problem with parkour for me is that the game does too much. That it's fluid is not that big of an achievement when the game does the all the work. A better system would be one that made it easy to get from point A to B, but in order to do so quickly you would need to choose and time some of the moves properly.

Pretty sure the devs disagree about human shields as I have read it has been tweaked (I think). Have two issues with double counters. First is how it balance with the overall system. When two enemies attack at once, that should be something bad for you. But with dual counters it allows for two instat kills with no ammo loss (compare that to a normal counter). The animation is also way too long and the change in cameral angle pulls the player out from the action into spectator mode, which is a buzz-killer for me.

Oh I know that the human shield thing is a problem. I just noticed that it hasnt been for me lol. Agree with the annoying angle of the double counters. How woud they make you time things properly? Give me an idea of what you are talking about. Because it is an inspired idea, but I am not sure it would work on the button layout or be too difficult to program.

Sushiglutton
10-21-2013, 01:40 AM
Oh I know that the human shield thing is a problem. I just noticed that it hasnt been for me lol. Agree with the annoying angle of the double counters. How woud they make you time things properly? Give me an idea of what you are talking about. Because it is an inspired idea, but I am not sure it would work on the button layout or be too difficult to program.

Well for example the slide move could be player controlled (like the B/circle button). If you fail you would get stuck on the obstacle for a brief second, if you succeed you can maintain momentum. Similarily with vaulting over low objects (A/X for example). Then you could have stuff like roll after fall (also B). I actually made up a complete parkour button layout for AC before, but I'm not sure if I can find that thread anymore ;).

Layytez
10-21-2013, 01:41 AM
It's that time again. Expect the game to leak by the end of the week.

Azurefeatherfly
10-21-2013, 01:50 AM
Well for example the slide move could be player controlled (like the B/circle button). If you fail you would get stuck on the obstacle for a brief second, if you succeed you can maintain momentum. Similarily with vaulting over low objects (A/X for example). Then you could have stuff like roll after fall (also B). I actually made up a complete parkour button layout for AC before, but I'm not sure if I can find that thread anymore ;).

So, basically Sleeping Dogs Traversal. I would actually be ok with that.

Jexx21
10-21-2013, 01:54 AM
You both are right...sort of

What Jexx is implying that "Mechanics" here denote the abilities and tools the player character has - ability to take corner-cover, ability to hide in bushes, ability to whistle and attract guards etc...which are strictly centered around 'Stealth'. AI as a system is tied into other things...ergo not specific to stealth
Am I right?

this is what I meant

I didn't find what I said to be a contradiction.

Stealth Mechanics and AI/Detection mechanics are two different things, although they are linked together in a way that can't be removed without making the game fall apart.

AI/Detection is the glue that holds the cores of the series together, without AI/Detection you don't have a game. Yes, it effects everything, but on their own, not as a whole, AI/Detection mechanics have nothing to do with Stealth mechanics.

Wolfmeister1010
10-21-2013, 01:56 AM

Again, i wonderfully inspired idea, but not sure that; 1. That is easy enough to program to smoothly run ingame, and 2. Enough people hate the parkour system enough to want to appeal for that. Most people like the new one.

But, if you ever run a petition, you have my signature. :)

Wolfmeister1010
10-21-2013, 01:59 AM
this is what I meant

Stealth Mechanics and AI/Detection mechanics are two different things, although they are linked together in a way that can't be removed without making the game fall apart.

AI/Detection is the glue that holds the cores of the series together, without AI/Detection you don't have a game. Yes, it effects everything, but on their own, not as a whole, AI/Detection mechanics have nothing to do with Stealth mechanics.

Swords and pistols have nothing to do with each other on their own, but they both work together to make a system known as "combat". Just like how guard AI detection and stealth tools have nothing to fo with each other on their own, but they together form a system called "stealth". They may be different. But they have everything to do with stealth. If there was a game with numerous stealth options but the guards are unable to detect you no matter what, then there is no point to stealth. There is no stealth. As stealth is the sneaky playing off of stealth tools and the guard AI. You can't be "stealthy" around a pineapple, because a pineapple does not have detection mechanics or an AI.

Jexx21
10-21-2013, 02:03 AM
Yea, I know, I covered that in my post.

Without AI/Detection there is no game. AI/Detection involves all three cores: Combat, Navigation, and Stealth, so thus it is separate from those three other mechanics.

Stealth mechanics: best in the series
Combat mechanics: arguably the best in the series
Navigation mechanics: most fluid with the most kinds of interactions with the environments, but less player interaction (label that as you will)
AI/Detection: worst in the series

I guess you could say that AI/Detection is the hidden "fourth pillar" of the series. But it's present in all games that involve hostile NPCs.

Wolfmeister1010
10-21-2013, 02:06 AM
Yea, I know, I covered that in my post.

Without AI/Detection there is no game. AI/Detection involves all three cores: Combat, Navigation, and Stealth, so thus it is separate from those three other mechanics.

Stealth mechanics: best in the series
Combat mechanics: arguably the best in the series
Navigation mechanics: most fluid with the most kinds of interactions with the environments, but less player interaction (label that as you will)
AI/Detection: worst in the series

I guess you could say that AI/Detection is the hidden "fourth pillar" of the series. But it's present in all games that involve hostile NPCs.

"AI detection includes 3 cores, but does not include or have anything to do with those 3 cores" -Jexx, AC forums, 10/20/13

Sturnz0r
10-21-2013, 02:13 AM
this is what I meant

I for one, probably the only on, didn't mind AC3's detection. It was fun having it be tough to stealth a mission; if you assassinate someone when their buddy(s) are turned around, you needed to make sure it was from a corner or from bushes, because they can hear their buddy hit the ground 2.5 seconds after the hidden blade is removed.

Jexx21
10-21-2013, 02:15 AM
Swords and pistols have nothing to do with each other on their own, but they both work together to make a system known as "combat". Just like how guard AI detection and stealth tools have nothing to fo with each other on their own, but they together form a system called "stealth". They may be different. But they have everything to do with stealth. If there was a game with numerous stealth options but the guards are unable to detect you no matter what, then there is no point to stealth. There is no stealth. As stealth is the sneaky playing off of stealth tools and the guard AI. You can't be "stealthy" around a pineapple, because a pineapple does not have detection mechanics or an AI.
I hate it when people edit posts when I'm writing my response..

anyway..

I'm not talking about how stealth plays out when you actually try to use it, I'm talking about the options themselves:

AC1:
benches
barely present monks
haybales
rooftop gardens

AC2-ACR:
bemches (and similar stationary blend spots)
haybales
roaming groups of civilians which make the city feel pre-packaged (but much more prevalent than AC1, wee)
rooftop gardens

AC3:
benches (and similar stationary social blend spots)
haybales
moving haybales
convoys (basicially moving haybales you can't leap of faith into)
rooftop garden-alikes on the ground
dynamic crowd, hiding between at least two people, not always reliable (arguably more realistic)
stalking zones
hiding behind corners
whistle ability

AC3 is the best in the stealth mechanics department

Jexx21
10-21-2013, 02:16 AM
"AI detection includes 3 cores, but does not include or have anything to do with those 3 cores" -Jexx, AC forums, 10/20/13
by themselves, that's also not a direct quote so your citation is faulty

Wolfmeister1010
10-21-2013, 02:17 AM
by themselves, that's also not a direct quote so your citation is faulty

Oookay sweetheart ;)

Jexx21
10-21-2013, 02:18 AM
*sigh*

I PMed you asking about something.

I don't like this situation and I wish to resolve it.

Wolfmeister1010
10-21-2013, 02:20 AM
I hate it when people edit posts when I'm writing my response..

I'm sorry I inconvenienced you :(

Wolfmeister1010
10-21-2013, 02:21 AM
*sigh*

I PMed you asking about something.

I don't like this situation and I wish to resolve it.

I cant get PMs. You want to resolve it? Stop BUTCHERING my threads whenever I make one.

Jexx21
10-21-2013, 02:22 AM
I'm not even trying to do that, I'm just trying to have a conversation...

Jexx21
10-21-2013, 02:25 AM
what did I even say in this thread that could be misconstrued as trying to tear it apart?

Granted I can understand other threads, but I didn't do anything in this one.

Wolfmeister1010
10-21-2013, 02:27 AM
I'm not even trying to do that, I'm just trying to have a conversation...

"The lack of links in all your threads. Its Absurd"

That is definitely how you start a conversation.

Look, I have time and time again tried to give you a second chance after treating me like crap in my own threads. I assumed you just frequently have bad days. So how would it be fair to judge you if that were the case? But then I came to realize (after multiple repeated occurences of he same situation) that this is just who you are. Rude. So I am done trying to justify myself to you. I am done listening to you. I am sorry that it came to this. I really don't like to hold grudges, but I tried to give you a second chance.

Wolfmeister1010
10-21-2013, 02:32 AM
what did I even say in this thread that could be misconstrued as trying to tear it apart?

Granted I can understand other threads, but I didn't do anything in this one.

Oh nothing. This is just about ALL the other threads.

Jexx21
10-21-2013, 02:32 AM
I never try to insult or belittle you, as I have said numerous times already.

To be honest, I actively feel like you're trying to insult me, which I don't like. I have done nothing in this thread to deserve an angry reaction from you.

Jexx21
10-21-2013, 02:34 AM
Oh nothing. This is just about ALL the other threads.
uh... well I explained myself in those other threads. I'm not trying to insult or belittle you, I just wanted to give advice. But okay..

what would you have me do?

Wolfmeister1010
10-21-2013, 02:43 AM
uh... well I explained myself in those other threads. I'm not trying to insult or belittle you, I just wanted to give advice. But okay..

what would you have me do?

You really dont seem to understand the way you talk. It is extremely rude. Like I have explained myself in other threads, I would be happy to take advice were it given in a respectful form: "hey, it would be a good idea to post a link in the op, just to make it easier for us." Instead of your posts "the lack of links in all your topics is absurd." Thanks?

I would ask you to fix your attitude and/or overall demeanor, but I can not change who a person is, and it would be selfish of me to ask. What would be good, is if you dont try to give me "advice" but instead just respond to the thread topic itself, like you are meant to.

I am not just going to take your insults and "take your word for it" that you dont actually mean what you are saying. 'I'd rather not deal with smoke and mirrors. I take everything someone says literally, unless it is so obviously sarcasm that it would be unbelievable for me to not notice. But then again, I would not want you to sarcastically insult my threads either.

Jexx21
10-21-2013, 02:51 AM
Then I would ask you in return to stop insulting me.

LieutenantRex
10-21-2013, 03:13 AM
I think this whole dispute could be solved with PMs rather than in threads.

My main concerns with this game are my fears on how the current-gen versions will look like. I probably won't get it when it's released, barring my viewing of this forum, but when I do, I shall raid only British ships. :)

Will_Lucky
10-21-2013, 03:17 AM
Personally not too worried, so long as it beats AC3 I'd be happy.

Stealth Gamer92
10-21-2013, 03:28 AM
My only real worry is how the combat and stealth work and how I will be able to adapt to it.

I will not restrict myself so.....spaniards beware!:p

I wonder if the British ships will have tea as a possible cargo? If so the first British ship I see with that cargo gets sunk.:)

TheDanteEX
10-21-2013, 03:53 AM
My concerns rest with how simplified everything seems to be compared to how I built them up in my head. For example, saving drowning sailors at sea. It's just a press of a button and you get +1 crew member. I can't but be bothered by that when they could have had you stop your ship and swim over to the man. Same with looting items at sea. The free-aiming seems to be a bit jerky and not as smooth as it would be in an actual shooter. I'm not sure if it's because of the PS4 controller, but from the demos, nobody seemed to be able to smoothly move the gun in the direction they wanted to.

There's no doubt a ton of effort went into this game, but unfortunately it may not be as much as I had assumed.

pirate1802
10-21-2013, 03:58 AM
damn I missed the fight :(

I-Like-Pie45
10-21-2013, 04:02 AM
Everything happens for a reason.

jamesrosa5
10-21-2013, 04:05 AM
I don't think it'll get the chance to attack against high elo players.http://www.derrckmde.com/08.jpg

Sigv4rd
10-21-2013, 05:48 AM
Now that I think about it I only have one more concern: It seems a little too good! Makes me wonder what the inevitable flaws will be... :(

TheBearJew32
10-21-2013, 06:08 AM
Last minute concerns:
1. Something that we've seen from gameplay demos/read about be cut from the final game.
2. Story/Narrative be lackluster or weak
3. Feel too similar to AC 3 (from a certain perspective, of course i know that the "core" will feel a bit like AC3 with the new engine and combat and all being introduced last year, but im hoping AC4 feels a bit fresh if you know what i'm getting at)

These are just my concerns and in no way do I think that these will actually happen. Just concerns

pirate1802
10-21-2013, 06:23 AM
Last minute concerns:
1. Something that we've seen from gameplay demos/read about be cut from the final game.
2. Story/Narrative be lackluster or weak
3. Feel too similar to AC 3 (from a certain perspective, of course i know that the "core" will feel a bit like AC3 with the new engine and combat and all being introduced last year, but im hoping AC4 feels a bit fresh if you know what i'm getting at)

These are just my concerns and in no way do I think that these will actually happen. Just concerns

1 and 3 are actually very likely to happen. Infact I can already see 1 happening to some degree.

TheHumanTowel
10-21-2013, 10:29 AM
this is what I meant

Yeah that's not what stealth mechanics means though. Even if it was you're still contradicting yourself. "It has nothing to do with stealth mechanics but it's a part of stealth mechanics".

Farlander1991
10-21-2013, 11:29 AM
My concerns rest with how simplified everything seems to be compared to how I built them up in my head. For example, saving drowning sailors at sea. It's just a press of a button and you get +1 crew member. I can't but be bothered by that when they could have had you stop your ship and swim over to the man. Same with looting items at sea. The free-aiming seems to be a bit jerky and not as smooth as it would be in an actual shooter. I'm not sure if it's because of the PS4 controller, but from the demos, nobody seemed to be able to smoothly move the gun in the direction they wanted to.

There's no doubt a ton of effort went into this game, but unfortunately it may not be as much as I had assumed.

Well, simplification does not necessarily mean bad.

Plus, in the example of saving drowning sailors, I think they most likely did have it originally as a 'stop, swim over, save' kind of thing, because, after all, it's a perfect opportunity to use the seamless ship/sea ability, isn't it?

And you do it once and it feels awesome. And you do it twice and it still feels awesome. And you do it three times and it's okay-ish. And the more and more times you do that, the more annoying and boring it becomes. It isn't terribly exciting, plus constantly stopping may ruin the flow of sailing. I mean, sure, saving a pirate from a fight is pretty repetitive in and of itself as well, but: a) you don't have to enter a different mode of navigation every time you encounter one, b) fighting is kinda more exciting than jumping into the water and swimming back, c) and if you do this on the way to somewhere, it's not like the flow of your free-running navigation is really interrupted.

Though I do think that the ability to save people yourself is there, it wouldn't make sense if it wasn't there at all.

Mr_Shade
10-21-2013, 01:03 PM

.Game displays the full arc.

pacmanate
10-21-2013, 01:14 PM
1 and 3 are actually very likely to happen. Infact I can already see 1 happening to some degree.

Yeah, I wonder what though.

Sn1p3r-28
10-21-2013, 01:22 PM
Yeah, what are you thinking has been cut?

pacmanate
10-21-2013, 01:35 PM
Yeah, what are you thinking has been cut?

No idea... Is there anything to cut? Normally when I play the game I forget.

However I will never forget when the AC3 devs said in Winter lakes freeze to take you to places only accessible in winter.

#NeverForget

Mr_Shade
10-21-2013, 01:38 PM
I'm sure you guys will find something to complain about ;)

EllJim
10-21-2013, 03:11 PM
The skies not purple, his facial hair is too weak, and I don't feel seasick when the ship rolls.... etc etc etc :D

Sn1p3r-28
10-21-2013, 03:14 PM
I'm sure you guys will find something to complain about http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/wink.png

Having no option for hood on/off toggle will be a big one I bet.

EllJim
10-21-2013, 03:22 PM
Game displays the full arc.

Oh didn't see the reply thanks for that!

pirate1802
10-21-2013, 03:37 PM
Yeah, I wonder what though.

Blending animations for example?

Mr_Shade
10-21-2013, 03:39 PM
And we are back to the E3 demo I suppose?

Carry on ;)

pirate1802
10-21-2013, 03:42 PM
I know, I know.. I just still suspect it. If it isn't cut out then I'll eat my words, if it is then I'll sit here with a big TOLD YOU SO sign. :p

Moultonborough
10-21-2013, 03:45 PM
I'm sure you guys will find something to complain about ;)

:eek: You didn't know Shade? That's like our job. You're just figuring it out. :p

Anyway, I don't think I will have any major issues at all. With the feedback after every mission it might get a little annoying whether we choose to use it or not. But not anything that will kill it for me.

EllJim
10-21-2013, 03:51 PM
:eek: You didn't know Shade? That's like our job. You're just figuring it out. :p

Anyway, I don't think I will have any major issues at all. With the feedback after every mission it might get a little annoying whether we choose to use it or not. But not anything that will kill it for me.

You don't even have to touch teh feedback if you don't want to.

On the mission summary screen it's an option in the bottom right and TBH if they hadn't mentioned it I believe most would have skipped over it without noticing.

Jim.

Mr_Shade
10-21-2013, 03:56 PM
I know, I know.. I just still suspect it. If it isn't cut out then I'll eat my words, if it is then I'll sit here with a big TOLD YOU SO sign. :p
And I'll just say, what was said at the time it was shown..

'Pre-Alpha footage showing early gameplay - subject to change'

And, we will all be happy ;)

I-Like-Pie45
10-21-2013, 04:02 PM
I'm concerned that Edward's Forsaken fate will be altered just so once AC4 makes a lot of money and Edward becomes the new Ezio Yves can force Jade Raymond to reskin her AC game with Edward so he can make more profit

Mr_Shade
10-21-2013, 04:15 PM
ooooh now there's a thought..

Will_Lucky
10-21-2013, 04:46 PM
I'm concerned that Edward's Forsaken fate will be altered just so once AC4 makes a lot of money and Edward becomes the new Ezio Yves can force Jade Raymond to reskin her AC game with Edward so he can make more profit

His history is a bit too solidly written I'm afraid :p.

pirate1802
10-21-2013, 04:48 PM
And I'll just say, what was said at the time it was shown..

'Pre-Alpha footage showing early gameplay - subject to change'

And, we will all be happy ;)

Well played... :nonchalance:

pacmanate
10-21-2013, 04:48 PM

Well the books are never 100% accurate... so they can change if they want.

Mr_Shade
10-21-2013, 04:56 PM
Well played... :nonchalance:
Why, thank you ;)

HyperActive66
10-21-2013, 05:20 PM
My only concern is how engaging the side content will be. Hopefully its not just 60 hours of courier missions :P

TheDanteEX
10-21-2013, 05:59 PM
Blending animations for example?

Actually, this is one for me. Why are we back at the dark, Animus effect? I thought they would keep it like the 13-minute demo. The only indication we need that we're blended is the icon in the top left. I had no problem blending as Desmond in the Brazil mission, and there wasn't even a sound effect for blending and I didn't feel like my hand was being held, honestly. I would be fine if the effect was only for underwater. But I guess it's not that big of a deal as it looks to be much subtle this time around.

luckyto
10-21-2013, 06:03 PM
My main two concerns now are city size and the audio mix. The cities seem small and audio mix sounds "arcadey" and not as gritty as AC1. On the whole though, I'm very positive for ACIV.

xboxauditore
10-21-2013, 06:13 PM
Well the books are never 100% accurate... so they can change if they want.

Let's hope, I hated his death, Very quick and completely non-dramatic.

Hans684
10-21-2013, 07:02 PM

Not gonna happen, AC3 is the most sold AC so far. Did Yves say something about doing the Ezio rute....no. If they did it would have to be a 'what if'/alternate reality where Edward survives he attack that killed him. Only one problem is that Haymich is born long before that.

pacmanate
10-21-2013, 07:37 PM
Let's hope, I hated his death, Very quick and completely non-dramatic.

Yeah I didn't like it either. Can take out 20-30 + guards in game, gets taken out by two thugs in his own house.

xboxauditore
10-21-2013, 07:45 PM
Yeah I didn't like it either. Can take out 20-30 + guards in game, gets taken out by two thugs in his own house.

You couldn't even say it's because he was old or hadn't fought in years.

He was 42 and had been training Haytham, Yet still was overpowered by, as you said, two regular thugs.

Templar_Az
10-21-2013, 07:53 PM
When the author wrote the Haytham Kenway book was he aware that Edward would be the main character in the next game?

Anyways if their gonna let Edward die like he did in the book they need to perhaps make it a bit more dramatic; Im thinking some epic music along with some poisoning occuring before the fight so Edward is weak and then a nice slow motion killing piercing blow.

Just for an added horror effect they can take Edwards Hidden blade (if he has it on him at the time) and then stab his dead body repeatedly; parents wont be letting their kids buy the game after a scene like that.

So I think they should do it like that.

As for the main topic at hand, my only concern is that the side missions will get boring and repetitive after a while, so I hope this will not be the case. That is all.

Will_Lucky
10-21-2013, 07:59 PM
You couldn't even say it's because he was old or hadn't fought in years.

He was 42 and had been training Haytham, Yet still was overpowered by, as you said, two regular thugs.

In all honesty I had no problem with it, not every assassin should live to Altair or even Ezios age. And besides, just because you can take out 20/30 guards doesn't mean you always should. Everyone has their bad days.

Hans684
10-21-2013, 08:20 PM
In all honesty I had no problem with it, not every assassin should live to Altair or even Ezios age. And besides, just because you can take out 20/30 guards doesn't mean you always should. Everyone has their bad days.

And the fact that he had a familiy, it would distract him a lot if he was worried something might happen to them during the fight.

killzab
10-21-2013, 08:43 PM

I HATE it.

I won't even consider it canon unless it's shown in the game.

Anything that's in the books is not canon to me. After all, Edward's got brown hair in Forsaken...

xboxauditore
10-21-2013, 08:44 PM
I HATE it.

I won't even consider it canon unless it's shown in the game.

Anything that's in the books is not canon to me. After all, Edward's got brown hair in Forsaken...

He does?

killzab
10-21-2013, 08:45 PM
He does?

From what I've heard, yes.

Sturnz0r
10-21-2013, 08:46 PM
forsaken was written by Templars to dissuade readers from the truth, is what I hear

pacmanate
10-21-2013, 08:49 PM

Yeah but... his own house...

And I still don't buy it. After what, 20+ years of pirating, massive fights, ship battles, he dies by two thugs in his own house? I don't buy it, it's a **** ending.

Farlander1991
10-21-2013, 08:49 PM

So, we're all just going to forget how he got the **** beaten out of him in the story trailer? :p It didn't look like there was more than two or three people :p

And why does everybody just assume that those people were simple thugs? For all we know their training could rival Edward's. We literally know nothing about those people. Birch wouldn't bring two street thugs to take care of an Assassin, the dude's a Templar, he knows what Assassins are capable of. And there was a definite element of surprise involved.

EDIT: Also, I doubt that any Assassin we've encountered so far can take out 20-30 guards just like that. After all, it's the Animus, technically speaking we can kill 1000 soldiers in a row if we try hard enough, doesn't mean that the Assassins we controlled have actually done that.

pacmanate
10-21-2013, 08:53 PM
So, we're all just going to forget how he got the **** beaten out of him in the story trailer? :p It didn't look like there was more than two or three people :p

And why does everybody just assume that those people were simple thugs? For all we know their training could rival Edward's. We literally know nothing about those people. Birch wouldn't bring two street thugs to take care of an Assassin, the dude's a Templar, he knows what Assassins are capable of. And there was a definite element of surprise involved.

EDIT: Also, I doubt that any Assassin we've encountered so far can take out 20-30 guards just like that. After all, it's the Animus, technically speaking we can kill 1000 soldiers in a row if we try hard enough, doesn't mean that the Assassins we controlled have actually done that.

If the ancestors couldnt kill 1000 guards like in the game surely our sync would go down :rolleyes:

Templar_Az
10-21-2013, 08:55 PM
I haven't yet read the book so I read the wiki article instead on Edwards death and it says that his daughter Jenny was kidnapped so perhaps they threatened to kill her which in turn led Edward either to comply or let his guard down... and then get killled.

pacmanate
10-21-2013, 08:57 PM
I haven't yet read the book so I read the wiki article instead on Edwards death and it says that his daughter Jenny was kidnapped so perhaps they threatened to kill her which in turn led Edward either to comply or let his guard down... and then get killled.

... You should just read Forsaken :p

Assassin_M
10-21-2013, 08:58 PM
Ever since I watched that video where it was raining in Havana, I got so bummed that NPCs are still oblivious to the rain....no reaction whatsoever to the rain...I'm a picky bastard, bite me..

killzab
10-21-2013, 08:59 PM
Ever since I watched that video where it was raining in Havana, I got so bummed that NPCs are still oblivious to the rain....no reaction whatsoever to the rain...I'm a picky bastard, bite me..

Yeah... considering the Witcher did it right many years ago ....

pacmanate
10-21-2013, 09:01 PM

Well what do you want them to do?! Run around holding chickens on their heads?

Farlander1991
10-21-2013, 09:02 PM

It's a difficult question. I mean, you want there to be rain because, let's face it, rain is awesome. But you don't want that to screw over the social stealth aspect. Unless you're using a cheat code, weather is a really uncontrolled element, and I don't think that random going off unexpectedly is good for gameplay.

Yeah... considering the Witcher did it right many years ago ....

Again, the Witcher didn't have any social stealth elements, it doesn't screw over any gameplay mechanics there.

Assassin_M
10-21-2013, 09:04 PM
Well what do you want them to do?! Run around holding chickens on their heads?
Run under somewhere for cover maybe? with their hands on their heads? and the streets be a bit more empty?

I'd have liked that....except maybe the streets emptying..that can cause pop up issues.

Assassin_M
10-21-2013, 09:05 PM
It's a difficult question. I mean, you want there to be rain because, let's face it, rain is awesome. But you don't want that to screw over the social stealth aspect. Unless you're using a cheat code, weather is a really uncontrolled element, and I don't think that random going off unexpectedly is good for gameplay.

I understand that, but this might bring up the question...can AC just live off the social stealth aspect? I dunno, I just want some immersion to the rain...so maybe if the social stealth is gone, that'd open more opportunities for other forms of stealth

Templar_Az
10-21-2013, 09:08 PM
Maybe in those times people didn't have a B-fit everytime it rained.

Farlander1991
10-21-2013, 09:09 PM
can AC just live off the social stealth aspect?

It's a core mechanic, as long as they don't botch it up completely, it should be :p

I mean, I can just imagine a situation, you're in an open restricted area, in a crowd, rain starts and everybody runs for cover and you're left standing alone in the middle (and have to run for cover too to stay unnoticed). On one hand, there is a certain appeal to that, on another hand that kind of stuff is REALLY frustrating.

The Witcher rain behavior could get frustrating enough, I remember searching for 15 minutes for a guy I needed to talk to because he ran off from his merchant stand at some random place.

Assassin_M
10-21-2013, 09:12 PM
It's a core mechanic, as long as they don't botch it up completely, it should be :p

I mean, I can just imagine a situation, you're in an open restricted area, in a crowd, rain starts and everybody runs for cover and you're left standing alone in the middle (and have to run for cover too to stay unnoticed). On one hand, there is a certain appeal to that, on another hand that kind of stuff is REALLY frustrating.

The Witcher rain behavior could get frustrating enough, I remember searching for 15 minutes for a guy I needed to talk to because he ran off from his merchant stand at some random place.
Well, maybe it can be set to never rain except in certain points during missions for example? Just so that at least the story isn't botched...I actually see the appeal in trying to quickly adapt to an unforeseen event...

I just see it as the sudden spikes that popped on the sides of walls in old platforming games...it's a sudden situation, but you're given the a tool to deal with it quickly.

Farlander1991
10-21-2013, 09:22 PM
Well, maybe it can be set to never rain except in certain points during missions for example? Just so that at least the story isn't botched...I actually see the appeal in trying to quickly adapt to an unforeseen event...

I just see it as the sudden spikes that popped on the sides of walls in old platforming games...it's a sudden situation, but you're given the a tool to deal with it quickly.

Maybe. I remember the first time a stalker attacked me in ACR :D Didn't know those guys were in the game. "BY ODIN'S BEARD WTFWTFWTF ATTACK COUNTER ATTACK COUNTER DO SOMETHING OH GOD PHEW I KILLED HIM WHAT WAS THAT?!?!?!?!"

But there also can be certain complication to the rain scenario. What if due to the specifics of the place the space clears out in such a way, that you can't get to target undetected? And also, there are three tiers of rain in AC3 (I suppose the number's the same in AC4), at what tier do people go to hide? Just tier 2 and 3? How will the player define based on sounds and what's going on with the weather that the rain is going to start is going to be Tier 1? (I mean, there have to be at least SOME clues that it's going to start raining soon) What if Tier 1 rain turns into Tier 2 rain (which is really hard to see)? Is the rain behavior active on Tier 1 too? Is Tier 1 really such a strong rain that people are going to go hide from it? (tier 1 is pretty weak) That wouldn't work for immersion well either in my opinion.

Assassin_M
10-21-2013, 09:29 PM
Maybe. I remember the first time a stalker attacked me in ACR :D Didn't know those guys were in the game. "BY ODIN'S BEARD WTFWTFWTF ATTACK COUNTER ATTACK COUNTER DO SOMETHING OH GOD PHEW I KILLED HIM WHAT WAS THAT?!?!?!?!"

But there also can be certain complication to the rain scenario. What if due to the specifics of the place the space clears out in such a way, that you can't get to target undetected? And also, there are three tiers of rain in AC3 (I suppose the number's the same in AC4), at what tier do people go to hide? Just tier 2 and 3? How will the player define based on sounds and what's going on with the weather that the rain is going to start is going to be Tier 1? (I mean, there have to be at least SOME clues that it's going to start raining soon) What if Tier 1 rain turns into Tier 2 rain (which is really hard to see)? Is the rain behavior active on Tier 1 too? Is Tier 1 really such a strong rain that people are going to go hide from it? (tier 1 is pretty weak) That wouldn't work for immersion well either in my opinion.
Yeah those are nice examples, but I see where you're coming from. since the Stalker is a much simpler mechanic to integrate than Rain.

assuming they can bypass any AI issues that may occur, lets say each tier uses mechanics already present in the game. I'd say all 3 tiers would make people scuffle for shelter, so that it doesnt get too complicated, I mean...the 3 tiers of rain are always pretty hard anyway...just one is sunny, the other is cloudy without thunder and the final is a thunderstorm, so for example, the 3rd tier would hinder the visions of the guards AND yours, but you have eagle vision...so this eliminates the use of Civilians, but it hinders guard vision and basically the entire premise would become a hiding spot of sorts, but if the guards look at your direction when you're in close proximity, they'd switch to suspicious mode like when they're searching for you in a bale of Hay for example...you can just lead them somewhere secluded and kill them.

I'm just thinking out loud here of ways how this thing can work

ze_topazio
10-21-2013, 09:32 PM
The stalkers were pretty cool detail in Revelations.

Crouching.Tiger
10-22-2013, 10:39 AM
My main concern is that all videos and picture so far have only shown dual-wielding swords. I've always thought dual-wielding two long swords looks clumsy and a bit... Hollywoodish. Is it even possible to use only one sword?

HiddenKiller612
10-22-2013, 10:42 AM
My only concern is the rum being gone.

pacmanate
10-22-2013, 10:48 AM
My main concern is that all videos and picture so far have only shown dual-wielding swords. I've always thought dual-wielding two long swords looks clumsy and a bit... Hollywoodish. Is it even possible to use only one sword?

You can if you pick one off a guard, however im not sure if you can chose to have 1 sword only from shops as we havent seen the shop interface.

Farlander1991
10-22-2013, 10:50 AM
You can if you pick one off a guard, however im not sure if you can chose to have 1 sword only from shops as we havent seen the shop interface.

The shop weapon descriptions describe all swords as 'pairs', though. (Because we have seen the shop interface :p It's in one of those long 20-30-50 minutes playthroughs at the least).

Mr_Shade
10-22-2013, 10:50 AM
My take on the rain, is it happened so much, people just carried on..

after all they didn't need to run to cover to protect their iPhones etc ;)

pacmanate
10-22-2013, 10:51 AM
The shop weapon descriptions describe all swords as 'pairs', though. (Because we have seen the shop interface :p It's in one of those long 20-30-50 minutes playthroughs at the least).

Oh, well thats odd seeing as the moveset is still there for just having one sword..

Sn1p3r-28
10-22-2013, 10:54 AM
Yeah I've seen that video, you buy swords form shops in pairs.

Farlander1991
10-22-2013, 11:06 AM
Oh, well thats odd seeing as the moveset is still there for just having one sword..

Well, there are situations where you can have only one sword as you have already mentioned. Maybe, MAYBE you will be able to de-equip one sword and leave it at the hideout. But, knowing AC's resistance in regards to allowing unequip literally anything, I doubt it :-/

DSafrin
10-22-2013, 12:06 PM
I hope they would fix a little issue with shooting the powder kegs. In some gameplay videos you can see they ociasionally sort of jump instead of exploding when Edward shoots them. I've seen it in two different videos now (in the same mission) - if it was once, I wouldn't be worried. But if it happens more often, it might be quite annoying.

As for swords - maybe it will work like a heavy weapon - to have opportunity to equip a long sword for one hand? I mean, aren't the dual swords short?

pirate1802
10-22-2013, 03:53 PM
Yeah, I saw those videos too. I think it was because the incoming soldiers were kicking them away.

DSafrin
10-22-2013, 04:37 PM
In one of the gameplays it definitely weren't soldiers kicking it. While aiming the outline (that would show you what are you aiming at) just disappeared. And when the player shot, it bounced away.

pacmanate
10-22-2013, 04:40 PM
In one of the gameplays it definitely weren't soldiers kicking it. While aiming the outline (that would show you what are you aiming at) just disappeared. And when the player shot, it bounced away.

In the PS Access video is reticle was right on the barrel but I noticed the crosshairs didnt go red. I am hoping its due to early code.

Mr_Shade
10-22-2013, 05:56 PM
In the PS Access video is reticle was right on the barrel but I noticed the crosshairs didnt go red. I am hoping its due to early code.
Even if not, we 'may' have a day one patch - which they would not have had while playing ;)

xboxauditore
10-22-2013, 06:02 PM
Even if not, we 'may' have a day one patch - which they would not have had while playing ;)

Does the Day-one patch come out straight away when the game does? Or would we have to wait a few hours for it?

Sushiglutton
10-22-2013, 06:02 PM

Noticed that too :(

DSafrin
10-22-2013, 08:15 PM

That, and in another gameplay, exactly the same mission, it flashed red and then wouldn't show up even when player readjusted it.
I really hope this gets fixed -either with the final build if that was early one, or with a patch.

EllJim
10-22-2013, 08:52 PM
Dang hope that the day one patch is being submitted to xbox soon, (if there is one) as it take them longer to approve it .. :/

David2010549
10-23-2013, 07:59 AM
I should have popped into this thread earlier. Mr_Shade, are there any limitations on Eagle Vision tagging? Can an unlimited number of enemies be tagged, and does the tagging stay active for an indefinite amount of time? I'm guessing it has a distance limit, both for how far away you can tag from and for how far you can travel from a tagged enemy before the tag deactivates. I wonder how far the former is, and whether the latter is shorter than the distance it takes for the enemy to despawn.

Also, can enemy ships be boarded without the enemies aboard detecting you, both before and after the ship is disabled? The 101 trailer strongly implies that you can do that when the ship is disabled at least, but I haven't seen it and I'd like to know. I'm especially interested in boarding non-disabled ships stealthily.

InfectiousSwede
10-23-2013, 08:56 AM
I've but one question; Can other crewmates take the helm of Jackdaw and sail the seas while you trot around deck and play Tarzan among the sails? Mainly for immersion.

Sn1p3r-28
10-23-2013, 10:02 AM
I've but one question; Can other crewmates take the helm of Jackdaw and sail the seas while you trot around deck and play Tarzan among the sails? Mainly for immersion.

I'm pretty sure that's not possible.

SixKeys
10-23-2013, 10:49 AM
I'm pretty sure that's not possible.

I thought it was possible to give the helm over to Adewale. You have to go below deck sometimes, after all. But I could be wrong.

EllJim
10-23-2013, 10:57 AM
I thought it was possible to give the helm over to Adewale. You have to go below deck sometimes, after all. But I could be wrong.

Think the ship just stays were you let go of the helm, judging by the memory 3 gameplay vids. Of course we find out in 6 days.. or some of us will (us peasants on current gen)

Sn1p3r-28
10-23-2013, 11:29 AM

There could be a few points in the story where this happens, but for free-roam I think only Edward can helm the ship.

SixKeys
10-23-2013, 11:55 AM
There could be a few points in the story where this happens, but for free-roam I think only Edward can helm the ship.

Makes sense. Otherwise it would be annoying if Adewale kept steering your ship into enemy ships when you just wanted to relax and enjoy the ride.

Farlander1991
10-23-2013, 11:57 AM
I remember reading somewhere about plotting the course for your ship? Or that feature is only for when you're outside of the ship somewhere on land? (or didn't get into the final game at all?)

EllJim
10-23-2013, 12:13 PM
I remember reading somewhere about plotting the course for your ship? Or that feature is only for when you're outside of the ship somewhere on land? (or didn't get into the final game at all?)

Wasn't this the fast travel? plot course to fast travel location and you and the ship end up there...? Or am I confuzzled again.