PDA

View Full Version : Fassbender talks AC but never played the game

luckyto
10-18-2013, 07:17 PM
http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/10/18/assassins-creed-movies-michael-fassbender-has-never-played-assassins-creed

Just an update. Nothing major.

On a side note, I've been thinking that Fassbender will play both Desmond and Altair. Basically, your own personal self-image is how you see yourself in the memory you are reliving. It makes the most sense in terms of sequels, getting a production-savvy script and how movies work.

His quote, "The idea of reliving memories", seems to imply that he is playing both. Not sure if this is confirmed or not.

GreatBeyonder
10-18-2013, 07:21 PM
My only concern is, 'Can he play an Arab?'

Shahkulu101
10-18-2013, 07:23 PM
But Arabs are also humans.

adventurewomen
10-18-2013, 07:25 PM
Is really the guy they want to play Desmond. Still doubting him..

GreatBeyonder
10-18-2013, 07:27 PM
But Arabs are also humans.

All Arabs are human. Not all humans are Arabs. Michael Fassbender is a strikingly Germanic fellow, not an Arab, Can a strikingly Germanic fellow convincingly play an Arab?

Shahkulu101
10-18-2013, 07:30 PM
All Arabs are human. Not all humans are Arabs. Michael Fassbender is a strikingly Germanic fellow, not an Arab, Can a strikingly Germanic fellow convincingly play an Arab?

Both are humans -- therefore, yes.

Jexx21
10-18-2013, 07:30 PM
I still don't think this movie is AC1 redone. If it is, Ubisoft is wasting the story potential of the movie.

Just use the movie to end the plot of Juno.

GreatBeyonder
10-18-2013, 07:31 PM
Both are humans -- therefore, yes.

I feel like there's a vital piece of exposition lacking in this exchange...

Shahkulu101
10-18-2013, 07:37 PM
I feel like there's a vital piece of exposition lacking in this exchange...

Perhaps, child, not everything has to be sugarcoated with 'reason'.

ArabianFrost
10-18-2013, 07:48 PM
If the actors were judged by how well they know the game, we would have had M playing Alta´r and I-like-pie as Lucy.

Just make a good movie. Don't try to force it to be a shadow of the video game in movie form.

stingray110
10-18-2013, 07:51 PM
Right so a half German Half Irish guy is going to be an Arab? Let me guess, the other actors are going to be American or Western European...

I'm so tired of this always happening, it sounds like Prince of Persia 2.0

luckyto
10-18-2013, 07:55 PM
If the actors were judged by how well they know the game, we would have had M playing Alta´r and I-like-pie as Lucy.

Just make a good movie. Don't try to force it to be a shadow of the video game in movie form.

Yeah. I agree.

I think he will make an excellent Altair. I just finished watching Prometheus not too long ago - where he played an android. He was amazing - very stoic and mysterious. I really got an Altair vibe from him. And of course, X-Men First Class.

Personally, I think they will do AC1. It's the beginning of the Desmond story -- and more importantly -- it's the story that really introduces you to the Assassins and the Templars, their code and conflicts. It would script very well. And the crusades isn't a time period that's been overdone.

Prince of Persia is really not bad. It's good Disney adventure. Who cares if they are white? Why is the world so racist? Don't get it.

stingray110
10-18-2013, 07:59 PM
Yeah. I agree.

I think he will make an excellent Altair. I just finished watching Prometheus not too long ago - where he played an android. He was amazing - very stoic and mysterious. I really got an Altair vibe from him. And of course, X-Men First Class.

Personally, I think they will do AC1. It's the beginning of the Desmond story -- and more importantly -- it's the story that really introduces you to the Assassins and the Templars, their code and conflicts. It would script very well. And the crusades isn't a time period that's been overdone.

Prince of Persia is really not bad. It's good Disney adventure. Who cares if they are white? Why is the world so racist? Don't get it.

It's not being racist. He is a great actor but in terms of historical accuracy it is completely unbelievable. It rips away the believability and therefore the drama of the film.

ArabianFrost
10-18-2013, 08:13 PM
It's not being racist. He is a great actor but in terms of historical accuracy it is completely unbelievable. It rips away the believability and therefore the drama of the film.

I'm an Arab. Just slap a beard on Michael, some skin-darkenning makeup and lenses. Not even we would care if he's German or whatever. The games had Alta´r with an American accent and Desmond's face. They weren't really the bans of "believability" either if you ask me.

Jexx21
10-18-2013, 08:15 PM
PLEASE GOD DON'T RETREAD AC1

WHY DO PEOPLE WANT THIS

*cries*

GreatBeyonder
10-18-2013, 08:28 PM
I actually loved AC1... minus Altair's accent, or lack thereof.

luckyto
10-18-2013, 08:29 PM
PLEASE GOD DON'T RETREAD AC1

WHY DO PEOPLE WANT THIS

*cries*

Because it would make a good movie. :)

pacmanate
10-18-2013, 09:11 PM
I would love an AC1 movie, about AC1.

Jexx21
10-18-2013, 09:13 PM
I WOULD LOVE A MOVIE WITH NEW STORY

*cries*

SixKeys
10-18-2013, 09:57 PM
I'm an Arab. Just slap a beard on Michael, some skin-darkenning makeup and lenses. Not even we would care if he's German or whatever. The games had Alta´r with an American accent and Desmond's face. They weren't really the bans of "believability" either if you ask me.

Skin-darkening make-up? Why, that's a fantastic idea!

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-YjAfjfg3h0o/TsgfKVDCtMI/AAAAAAAAAIo/AZk-XKvLb5I/s1600/black_face1-243x300.jpeg

ACfan443
10-18-2013, 10:27 PM
Skin-darkening make-up? Why, that's a fantastic idea!

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-YjAfjfg3h0o/TsgfKVDCtMI/AAAAAAAAAIo/AZk-XKvLb5I/s1600/black_face1-243x300.jpeg

Omfg.

Anyway, I completely hate the idea of any actor trying to imitate someone of a different race. It looks cheap, unauthentic and slightly comical. Don't mind Fassbender playing Desmond (even though he hardly resembles him), but playing Altair is a big no for me.

Spider_Sith9
10-18-2013, 11:37 PM
If they do AC1, they'll watch the movie more than they'll play the game.

plentybeef
10-19-2013, 01:44 AM
The dude that he drugs with alien Juice or what ever it is, should be who plays Altair. Michael should play cross.

Coltillion
10-19-2013, 02:42 AM
You guys are so politically correct.
Michael can play anything.

Toa TAK
10-19-2013, 03:01 AM
I'm thinking he's going to be Altiar and Desmond, but either way, I'm hoping that the film is good in its own right. Not many video game movies are ever good.

You guys are so politically correct.
Michael can play anything.
I don't think it's so much about PC, as it is about staying true to the game (and that staying true to life).

Sturnz0r
10-19-2013, 03:18 AM
Anyway, I completely hate the idea of any actor trying to imitate someone of a different race. It looks cheap, unauthentic and slightly comical. Don't mind Fassbender playing Desmond (even though he hardly resembles him), but playing Altair is a big no for me.

...why does he have to look like fictional characters, Desmond or Altair?

Raibuscus
10-19-2013, 11:23 AM
I don't think he should play Alta´r. He can play Desmond but Alta´r should be someone else.

Sushiglutton
10-19-2013, 01:21 PM
Writing a script for an AC game must be difficult as hell. Just choiosing which characters to include is hard. I mean going back to Desmond really doesn't feel that hot. AC1 was a (good) game story. It was designed around assassinating nine targets. This is a good structure for a game, but for a movie it would feel very repetetive. Let's see if they can figure it out. I am among those who enjoyed PoP.

SixKeys
10-19-2013, 01:43 PM
AC1 also had multiple cities. I have a feeling that in a movie (at least the first one) they'll focus mainly on one location, probably Jerusalem. Sequels are always the ones in which the characters "go to Europe". :p
If we assume they'll focus on one location and that that location might be Jerusalem (since it's the most famous and exotic one), then the plot will probably mainly center around the events in Solomon's Temple and the hunt for Robert de Sable, leaving out most of the other targets. This would allow for more character development and focus on Alta´r's investigation methods. Of course, all this is pure speculation. I'm just trying to think from a film scriptwriter's perspective.

They're gonna have to include Desmond one way or another if they're going to visit the ancestors we've already had in the games. They have to explain the Animus, after all. Desmond is also a good identification point for the audience, the character who's perpetually confused and needs things explained to them to keep up with the plot.

I think an interesting way to introduce Desmond (and end the movie on a cliffhanger) would be to have the whole movie play out from Alta´r's perspective, up until the discovery of the Apple (and the glowing map). Then the movie would flash to Desmond opening his eyes, strapped to this strange device which the movie-going audience has no idea what it is or who this new guy is.

Farlander1991
10-19-2013, 01:46 PM
Well, as with any adaptations (if it's an adaptation, not a stand-alone story within the world), changes have to be made to, well, adapt to the medium :p It's the biggest paradox of adaptations, you change stuff to be closer to the source and a good work of whatever it is you're adapting into (in this case, movie) on its own right. And the spirit, the spirit of the work is the most important part. Look at How to Train Your Dragon, the only things that are left from the books are pretty much the names of characters, but it's one of the most awesome animated movies ever, and still holds the spirit of the original.

Anyway, yeah. To make AC1 story work, changes in structure have to be made. The story has to focus on taking down Robert de Sable, with other Templars being more of a way to get closer to him, instead of each one its own arc (think of this as investigation missions that have the Templar targets in them instead of random dudes :D ). And probably the number of the Templars will have to be cut down a bit, to the most gray ones. And no too much back and forth between the cities, the flow is going to suck in that case. In fact, featuring all four AC1 locations, Masyaf, Acre, Damascus and Jerusalem (plus there's also the battle of Arsuf) is too much, I would say that Damascus can be cut out without causing too much of a trouble. Half of the movie in Acre and half in Jerusalem with Masyaf interludes might work.

EDIT: A, SixKeys, posted first :p

pacmanate
10-19-2013, 01:47 PM
Yeah for an AC1 movie I don't want them to do all templars, it would ruin the story due to no character development and in a 2 hour or so film it would just be confusing and rushed.

ACfan443
10-19-2013, 02:13 PM
...why does he have to look like fictional characters, Desmond or Altair?

In Desmond's case, I'm obviously not asking for the exact human equivalent of him, just someone who resembles him a little more. For example, similarities such as his olive skin tone, dark hair, eye colour, youth etc. It goes back to what I previously mentioned about authenticity.

In Altair's case, let's remind ourselves that he's Syrian, it doesn't make sense for a white actor to play that role. Ubisoft have shown that they go to great lengths to find the perfect actor to bring their character alive (AC3 and Connor being a prime example of this), so other than any budget constraints I don't see why they should half-arse actor casting this time.

silvermercy
10-19-2013, 02:16 PM
Writing a script for an AC game must be difficult as hell. Just choiosing which characters to include is hard. I mean going back to Desmond really doesn't feel that hot. AC1 was a (good) game story. It was designed around assassinating nine targets. This is a good structure for a game, but for a movie it would feel very repetetive. Let's see if they can figure it out. I am among those who enjoyed PoP.
Yes, at least for many dedicated fans it may seem a bit... 'lukewarm' going back to Desmond...
On the other hand, it may be difficult to introduce a film like this to the general public without going back to the original assassins (Hashasins) and locations like Jerusalem, Damascus - the era of Altair in general.
What they could do though is keep the locations and original assassin concept and change the protagonists. They could even keep Altair but I think they should definitely get rid of Deadmond... er I mean Desmond. (Sorry Desmond fans... :p)

SixKeys
10-19-2013, 02:21 PM
Yes, at least for many dedicated fans it may seem a bit... 'lukewarm' going back to Desmond...
On the other hand, it may be difficult to introduce a film like this to the general public without going back to the original assassins (Hashasins) and locations like Jerusalem, Damascus - the era of Altair in general.
What they could do though is keep the locations and original assassin concept and change the protagonists. They could even keep Altair but I think they should definitely get rid of Deadmond... er I mean Desmond. (Sorry Desmond fans... :p)

Without Desmond, Alta´r's story doesn't even matter. AC1-AC3 are all about leading Desmond to save the world from the solar disaster. All his ancestors are just conduits relaying a message.

pirate1802
10-19-2013, 02:28 PM
Without Desmond, Alta´r's story doesn't even matter. AC1-AC3 are all about leading Desmond to save the world from the solar disaster. All his ancestors are just conduits relaying a message.

It can probably work in a movie, cut out the modern day stuff and tell only the ancestral parts? I can see that working.

silvermercy
10-19-2013, 02:29 PM
Yes. If they truly insist on that era I personally think they would have to use someone other than Altair (and Desmond of course). It would also give them more writing freedom I think, both in modern and historical times.

I still think they would need a modern protagonist to present the whole story actually... So even though they're getting rid of modern characters now (we're supposed to play ourselves in the game), such a character would still be essential in presenting the whole concept of DNA memories. How else would they present it?

SixKeys
10-19-2013, 02:35 PM
It can probably work in a movie, cut out the modern day stuff and tell only the ancestral parts? I can see that working.

The Pieces of Eden are TWCB artifacts. This means they need to explain TWCB (or at least hint at them in the first movie) which inevitably means they'll have to talk about modern day at some point. Otherwise TWCB are just aliens that left some cool stuff on earth for people to do whatever they want with them.

pirate1802
10-19-2013, 02:55 PM
The Pieces of Eden are TWCB artifacts. This means they need to explain TWCB (or at least hint at them in the first movie) which inevitably means they'll have to talk about modern day at some point. Otherwise TWCB are just aliens that left some cool stuff on earth for people to do whatever they want with them.

Oh right, right. Completely forgot about those artifacts. But I guess they can hint at them and the modern side without fitting them in the story, and make a complete modern day AC movie somewhere down the line? I think its just too much to accommodate a 20 hours game + modern day stuff into a 2 hour movie.

. aybe they can even do the original plan: first movie about Altair, 2nd movie about Ezio and Desmond training, third movie about Desmond fighting in modern times?

SixKeys
10-19-2013, 03:05 PM
Oh right, right. Completely forgot about those artifacts. But I guess they can hint at them and the modern side without fitting them in the story, and make a complete modern day AC movie somewhere down the line? I think its just too much to accommodate a 20 hours game + modern day stuff into a 2 hour movie.

. aybe they can even do the original plan: first movie about Altair, 2nd movie about Ezio and Desmond training, third movie about Desmond fighting in modern times?

Problem is, nobody would go to see a completely modern day AC movie. :p If they want to include Desmond (or another modern protagonist) and TWCB, they have to include them in the same movie as the - arguably more interesting - ancestral bits.

Your suggestion for a trilogy would probably work the best. I don't know if Ubi would go down that route, though. Considering Ezio's popularity and the visual potential of Renaissance Italy, I think they'd want the audience to spend as much time with Ezio and as little as possible watching Desmond train.

pirate1802
10-19-2013, 03:21 PM
I don't see why people won't see a completely modern AC movie. Don't forget Ubi is looking at a new audience instead of just the game fans. When people object to a full modern AC here, they do so primarily because of gameplay (as illustrated by the craptastic modern day missions in AC3) and the accepted emphasis of the series, towards the historical ancestry. The first problem would be nonexistent in a movie, and the second.. well its a fresh start for the as far as the movie is concerned. If they lay the groundwork as emphasizing on both history and present day (unlike 99% history and 1% present day as we saw in AC1) the fans of the movie can calibrate their expectations accordingly. personally I'm all for a fully modem AC movie.

But yeah, like you said, the historical bits especially the Renaissance Italy parts far outshine the modern parts in terms of grandeur. I guess that's up to the writers/directors to make it more interesting.

I-Like-Pie45
10-19-2013, 03:26 PM
what about

conner n haymitch

SixKeys
10-19-2013, 03:49 PM
The problem with a completely modern AC movie is that: a) we don't live in a vacuum. Most people, even if they haven't played the games, are at least dimly aware that Assassin's Creed is about some guy in historical times assassinating people with a hidden blade. b) It would need to be really special to stand out among all the other "modern assassin" movies like Jason Bourne. To be perfectly honest, AC's complex plot does look pretty ridiculous, even childish, to someone who's not into the games. On a cursory glance, the modern day plot is about a bartender who gets kidnapped by wannabe-Illuminatis. He sees people in red when he turns on his magic vision. He's strapped to a computer that somehow makes him travel back in time. And he's searching for a magical, mind-controlling ball left on earth by aliens who can somehow communicate with him from the past.

That's how the plot of AC looks like to non-gamers. Now try to convince the movie-going audience that this is a really awesome story that is totally mature and so much better than all the other 9000 "assassin who doesn't know he's an assassin" movies out there.

pirate1802
10-19-2013, 03:56 PM
So they need to base their movies primarily in the past with small modern day bits/references? That's what I was saying. I just personally have no problem with a modern AC.

To be fair, any story with fantasy elements is going to look ridiculous if you put its plot in such simple terms, but yeah.. that indeed looks ridiculous.

pacmanate
10-19-2013, 03:58 PM
what about

conner n haymitch

Screw them, I want Eduard!

Shahkulu101
10-19-2013, 04:05 PM
An Edward movie may seem like Pirates of The Caribbean clone to some.

xboxauditore
10-19-2013, 04:08 PM
An Edward movie may seem like Pirates of The Caribbean clone to some.

Sadly, It would most likely be a rip off to everyone, not just some.

Any Pirate movie now has the risk of being compared to the success of POTC, and being called a rip off, If anything, I'd like the first AC adapted to a movie first.

lothario-da-be
10-19-2013, 04:24 PM
The problem with a completely modern AC movie is that: a) we don't live in a vacuum. Most people, even if they haven't played the games, are at least dimly aware that Assassin's Creed is about some guy in historical times assassinating people with a hidden blade. b) It would need to be really special to stand out among all the other "modern assassin" movies like Jason Bourne. To be perfectly honest, AC's complex plot does look pretty ridiculous, even childish, to someone who's not into the games. On a cursory glance, the modern day plot is about a bartender who gets kidnapped by wannabe-Illuminatis. He sees people in red when he turns on his magic vision. He's strapped to a computer that somehow makes him travel back in time. And he's searching for a magical, mind-controlling ball left on earth by aliens who can somehow communicate with him from the past.

That's how the plot of AC looks like to non-gamers. Now try to convince the movie-going audience that this is a really awesome story that is totally mature and so much better than all the other 9000 "assassin who doesn't know he's an assassin" movies out there.
This x100 . You don't get used to the ac story fast. It was only untill acb that i was used to the modern day being in there and "aliens" living in ancient temples.

GreatBeyonder
10-19-2013, 04:37 PM
The first game is still pretty infamous for suddenly and (if you weren't sneaking into Vidic's files) inexiplicably switching genres at the very end of a superbly written historical piece. Imagine The Godfather ending with an alien invasion or Jason Bourne suddenly fighting zombies. My question is, does anyone think they'll spend more time foreshadowing the last mission?

Or do you think they'll keep to the spirit of the games and keep its iconic WTF moments?

Jexx21
10-19-2013, 04:37 PM
Or.. how about the movie isn't a retread of one of the games and it's a new story entirely?

lothario-da-be
10-19-2013, 04:38 PM
The first game is still pretty infamous for suddenly and (if you weren't sneaking into Vidic's files) inexiplicably switching genres at the very end of a superbly written historical piece. Imagine The Godfather ending with an alien invasion or Jason Bourne suddenly fighting zombies. My question is, does anyone think they'll spend more time foreshadowing the last mission?

Or do you think they'll keep to the spirit of the games and keep its iconic WTF moments?
It wouldn't be ac if it doesn't have a WTF ending lol.