PDA

View Full Version : Playstation exclusives... just.... why?

SpiritMuse
10-18-2013, 12:17 AM
I don't understand the reasoning behind the Playstation exclusives. It just seems massively unfair to punish people for having the "wrong" console. But then they're available for PC too? So you're really just excluding the xbox players.

So, why? Do Ubi just hate Microsoft or something? (Even though most PCs do run on Windows). But why punish the players for it?

I really don't understand why I'm getting an incomplete game just because I own an xbox.

pacmanate
10-18-2013, 12:58 AM
Sony gives money to Ubisoft, Sony gets exclusive stuff. The same way Microsoft get CoD map packs early, they pay Activision.

As for why PC also get the stuff, no idea as that is also microsoft.

adventurewomen
10-18-2013, 01:39 AM
The Playstation exclusives are also on the PC versions of AC games. So no Ubisoft doesn't hate Microsoft.

I also play AC games on my PC I'm not missing out of PS exclusives since they are also released for the PC version.

FrankieSatt
10-18-2013, 03:28 AM
Exclusives of all kinds are wrong. There should never be exclusives. I should have access to everything that the PS3 does and the PC does. and they should have access to everything the XBox does.

SixKeys
10-18-2013, 03:33 AM
Exclusives of all kinds are wrong. There should never be exclusives. I should have access to everything that the PS3 does and the PC does. and they should have access to everything the XBox does.

Because...? What have you done that you feel naturally entitled to everything Ubisoft produces?

thekyle0
10-18-2013, 04:02 AM
Because...? What have you done that you feel naturally entitled to everything Ubisoft produces?
Most people might say they paid the same price to the same publisher for less game.

Killrbees17
10-18-2013, 04:13 AM
Politics, religion and money. Sex, drugs and rock and roll. All motivators. All tied together in one big fking knot that we helped tie

Gi1t
10-18-2013, 05:17 AM
Most people might say they paid the same price to the same publisher for less game.

That's a good way to put it. I think any content for a game ought to be available to everyone eventually. I don't mind content being temporarily exclusive, but permanent exclusivity really does feel like a ripoff. Unfortunately, companies don't get a lot of blowback for doing this stuff since the reason exclusive **** works is because people are desperate to get the content any way they can most of the time, so things aren't looking too good as far as this cheap practice going away.

Knightstar2001
10-18-2013, 06:31 AM
Most people would also get told that they got the product offered them. It is not the company's fault or problem that they decided to get that version regardless of there being other versions offered that had more or less content.
In this case it could be that Sony's agreement specifically states that the content they paid for can not be put on other consoles. The PC is not considered a Console and therefor would be not be excluded from getting the content by such a agreement.

Jack-Reacher
10-18-2013, 09:22 AM
Because reality is very fragmented.

renatabls
10-18-2013, 12:52 PM
Let's just say Sony and Ubi are best friends. :cool:

SpiritMuse
10-18-2013, 01:09 PM
Most people would also get told that they got the product offered them. It is not the company's fault or problem that they decided to get that version regardless of there being other versions offered that had more or less content.
But that is a false choice, you cannot choose which version to get, you have to get the one that matches your console.

GreatBeyonder
10-18-2013, 01:41 PM
I have to agree, I felt very cheated when I played The Tyranny of King Washington and discovered the devs ASSUME the player actually met Benedict Arnold already.

FrankieSatt
10-18-2013, 01:57 PM

Because it's wrong to give preferential treatment to one group of people over another when it comes to selling merchandise. As the consumer I should be given the choice of getting every single thing the PS3 players are getting as well as the PC Users and those players should have the choice of getting every single thing that I the XBox user has access to.

UbiSoft does the same thing when they give the U.S. players the middle finger by not giving us the choice of the great Collector's Editions that are giving to the U.K. (ex. See the crap they pulled with Blacklist)

I'm not talking about Pre-Orders as everyone has the CHOICE of whether to buy it or not.

The problem I have with exclusives is that I have no CHOICE because I don't have both consoles and I shouldn't have to have both consoles to get access to the exclusives.

Exclusives show favoritism of one Console or PC over another Console or PC and that should never happen in the gaming industry.

Mr_Shade
10-18-2013, 02:01 PM
unfortunately does it happen, Ubisoft are not alone in this practice - as do console specific titles..

I suppose those are unfair too - since I am sure many Sony fans would like to play MS exclusive titles, and vice versa.

GariStz
10-18-2013, 02:02 PM
oh, not this again....

http://youtu.be/oou3IudIoC0

Rugterwyper32
10-18-2013, 02:44 PM
I don't have problem with console exclusive games, after all, each console does need something beyond whatever hardware it has to sell.
But console exclusive content is another story entirely. When you release multiplat games and then add more content to a certain version over the others, I see a problem.

Templar_Az
10-18-2013, 03:28 PM
Well imagine your Activision (Or Ubisoft whatever), you have to make a game for two guys (Sony & Microsoft), one of them comes to you offering more money so that you would give them a bit extra. So ofcoure your gonna make some extra content for the person who paid you extra (in this case sony) and you will exclude Microsoft because they didnt pay you extra.

I cant believe this is so hard for people to understand. I mean I know the Xbox players most of all are upset over not getting the extra content but use your damn head and think. If you want to blame anyone then blame Microsoft for not pulling extra money out for their players.

If your that damned butthurt over it then you still have a few options: you can either watch a Youtube video of someone doing a walkthrough, buy a ps3 (I particularly like this one) or you can read about what happens in the DLC in a wiki article.

Assassin_M
10-18-2013, 03:43 PM
Aren't we supposed to be done with this? this is a 3 year thing, it's been happening since 2010 and FAR before that for other companies...it's been going on for so freakin long now, how do people still not know and still ask the same question?

Money is paid, exclusives are made. get over it.

Jexx21
10-18-2013, 03:45 PM
because sony is better than microsoft

SpiritMuse
10-18-2013, 03:46 PM
unfortunately does it happen, Ubisoft are not alone in this practice - as do console specific titles..

I suppose those are unfair too - since I am sure many Sony fans would like to play MS exclusive titles, and vice versa.

A whole game can be big and important enough to warrant buying a new console. The "killer app", isn't that the phrase? But when your game is already multiplatform, and you then start playing favorites again, that's just unfair. This is like saying "Haha, six years ago you didn't choose to buy the console that we prefer, so we're now going to deliver you an incomplete game!"

Assassin_M
10-18-2013, 03:47 PM
A whole game can be big and important enough to warrant buying a new console. The "killer app", isn't that the phrase? But when your game is already multiplatform, and you then start playing favorites again, that's just unfair. This is like saying "Haha, six years ago you didn't choose to buy the console that we prefer, so we're now going to deliver you an incomplete game!"

Removing a bonus does not mean an incomplete game.

Farlander1991
10-18-2013, 03:53 PM
I remember back in 2002, Spider-Man: The Movie game was released (a VERY awesome movie tie-in game, btw). I played it on PC. I was so bummed to learn that the XBox version had two additional levels, with Kraven the Hunter, in it... But eventually I thought... so what? The game is still awesome, my experience was still complete, you don't feel that anything's actually missing. And I feel that's what has to be important. So far the PS exclusive stuff for AC was fairly unrelated to anything (though, Benedict Arnold was mentioned in ToKW which can confuse non-PS/PC players), and we don't know yet how important Aveline's story in the game is anyway.

SpiritMuse
10-18-2013, 04:17 PM
If your that damned butthurt over it then you still have a few options: you can either watch a Youtube video of someone doing a walkthrough, buy a ps3 (I particularly like this one) or you can read about what happens in the DLC in a wiki article.

Or I could just not buy the game. Thanks for helping me make my decision. *preorder canceled*

pacmanate
10-18-2013, 04:18 PM
Or I could just not buy the game. Thanks for helping me make my decision. *preorder canceled*

Nice try. I've cancelled mine 5 times.

Assassin_M
10-18-2013, 04:19 PM
Good for you. cancel your purchase over 3 missions. brilliant.

Rugterwyper32
10-18-2013, 04:19 PM
I remember back in 2002, Spider-Man: The Movie game was released (a VERY awesome movie tie-in game, btw). I played it on PC. I was so bummed to learn that the XBox version had two additional levels, with Kraven the Hunter, in it... But eventually I thought... so what? The game is still awesome, my experience was still complete, you don't feel that anything's actually missing. And I feel that's what has to be important. So far the PS exclusive stuff for AC was fairly unrelated to anything (though, Benedict Arnold was mentioned in ToKW which can confuse non-PS/PC players), and we don't know yet how important Aveline's story in the game is anyway.

I can agree with that. If you get a good core experience, that really is no problem, and these exclusive AC missions have usually been irrelevant. I do have issues with it, but it's relatively minor, I can live with that. In the end, if you have fun with the game, that's what really matters

Biomedical-Fire
10-18-2013, 04:20 PM
People forget, MS doesn't pay to have exclusive map packs or weapons packs for CoD or any other mutli-plat games, they pay for get this, wait for it, wait for it..."TIMED" exclusivity for these things. They pay so that 360 gamers get to play these maps and use these weapons one month earlier than PS and PC gamers. They still get the content that 360 gamers get, they just get it a month later, whereas 360 gamers get screwed out of AC content entirely. They don't get it a month later, they don't get 2 months later, they don't get it 6 months later, they don't see it EVER. So I don't know or see how Microsoft's timed exclusives compare to Sony and PC exclusive content for Ubi games.

pirate1802
10-18-2013, 04:30 PM
Yeah well, if a guy pays me a fat load of money to make a few extra missions solely for him, why would I say no? Sure it looks "unfair" (:rolleyes:) from our point of view, but think of it from the developer's point of view. They're running a business afterall, not a social service. As long as everyone gets a fully complete base game, I don't see a reason to complain. Those extra missions are throwaway anyway imo.

SpiritMuse
10-18-2013, 05:05 PM
Good for you. cancel your purchase over 3 missions. brilliant.

Meh. I'll probably still buy it, but only after the price has dropped. At the moment it's just not worth full price to me, with this cheating going on.

Sushiglutton
10-18-2013, 05:13 PM
Sony made them an offer they couldn't refuse.

FrankieSatt
10-18-2013, 05:42 PM

I know that it's not just UbiSoft. Just about every developer has "Exclusives" for their titles. I don't care if it's an XBox Exclusive, a PS3 one or a PC one., none of them should exist.

The only reason I have an XBox was because Splinter Cell was exclusively an XBox title, at one time. At that time I bought the XBox 360 over the PS3 because of that.

Exclusive content should go away as exclusive titles for certain platforms. I should be able to play Grand Tourismo on my XBox and PS3 players should be able to play Forza 4 on their PS3. One shouldn't have to have both consoles to get their games.

SpiritMuse
10-18-2013, 05:42 PM
Sony made them an offer they couldn't refuse.

Ha! That's probably it. :D

Damn, I wasn't planning to get this worked up about it all, but when people start calling you "butthurt" it's kinda hard not to start losing your temper ("Oh, butthurt am I? I'll show you butthurt!!" >_>). My preorder is now officially canceled, which is fine because I'd rather buy it from my local shop anyway, instead of a big internet conglomerate (where I only placed the order because of the Watch code, which ended up being a bit disappointing to be honest).

I think this is about as far as we can take the argument. It's clear the reasons are money, money, and money (in that order), which is not something I agree with, but I think my protest is noted. :)

Jexx21
10-18-2013, 05:50 PM
I know that it's not just UbiSoft. Just about every developer has "Exclusives" for their titles. I don't care if it's an XBox Exclusive, a PS3 one or a PC one., none of them should exist.

The only reason I have an XBox was because Splinter Cell was exclusively an XBox title, at one time. At that time I bought the XBox 360 over the PS3 because of that.

Exclusive content should go away as exclusive titles for certain platforms. I should be able to play Grand Tourismo on my XBox and PS3 players should be able to play Forza 4 on their PS3. One shouldn't have to have both consoles to get their games.
Assassin's Creed was also originally going to be Xbox 360 exclusive.

ShardofTruth
10-18-2013, 07:21 PM
People forget, MS doesn't pay to have exclusive map packs or weapons packs for CoD or any other mutli-plat games, they pay for get this, wait for it, wait for it..."TIMED" exclusivity for these things. They pay so that 360 gamers get to play these maps and use these weapons one month earlier than PS and PC gamers. They still get the content that 360 gamers get, they just get it a month later, whereas 360 gamers get screwed out of AC content entirely. They don't get it a month later, they don't get 2 months later, they don't get it 6 months later, they don't see it EVER. So I don't know or see how Microsoft's timed exclusives compare to Sony and PC exclusive content for Ubi games.
You know who started the whole thing, wait for it, wait for it... it was MICROSOFT. Remember the GTA IV DLCs that were exclusive on the Xbox360 for over a year? They were timed exlusive in the end but not confirmed to be timed exlusive by Microsoft or Rockstar. Rockstar made probably a deal in the end to bring them to the other platforms too or most of us would never have been able to play them.
And what about the Tomb Raider Underworld DLCs, they are still exlusivly available for the Xbox360 even if the game sold more than double the units on the PS3 than on the Xbox360.
Microsoft invented this shady tactics and even with most of them being just timed exlusive now for three months or so it's plain annoying. So write them a letter and also thank them for every PC gamer on this world, because they get even less than both of them by now.

Personally I think if a publisher ports the same game on different platforms they should it support equaliy and give everyone the chance to buy all content for it. This was the case before Microsoft decided to change the game and now it's f****d up for everyone.

Assassin's Creed was also originally going to be Xbox 360 exclusive.
No, it wasn't. Originally it would have been a PS3 exclusive, that's where the whole Ubisoft-Sony deal started.

pirate1802
10-18-2013, 07:23 PM
Again its the same thing. If the devs and suits were saints then yes probably the exclusives would go away. But one of console exclusive's jobs is to push the value of their consoles. It makes perfect business sense to limit the exclusive to one console. I'd do the same if I was in Sony's place, for example. And this is coming from somebody who to this day is dying to play RDR, Uncharted and TLoU because he doesn't own a PS3.

GreatBeyonder
10-18-2013, 07:32 PM
Red Dead Redemption is on 360... unless you mean another RDR.

STDlyMcStudpants
10-18-2013, 09:14 PM
I don't like DLC period.
Put the entire game on a disc..

pacmanate
10-18-2013, 09:19 PM
I don't like DLC period.
Put the entire game on a disc..

This is the entire game though. Adewale is a different assassin so it warrents DLC imo.

STDlyMcStudpants
10-18-2013, 09:36 PM
This is the entire game though. Adewale is a different assassin so it warrents DLC imo.

I can give you that...but what about the Edward and MP DLC?
Id be willing to pay $70 for a game if it came complete.

pirate1802
10-19-2013, 05:12 AM

I Don't have a 360 either.

Stealth Gamer92
10-19-2013, 05:27 AM
Greed. The ones who have PS3/4 will get it just like if it was 360/XB1 exclusive they would buy the exclusive stuff while PS3/4 people complained. Greed is law in big buisiness.

plentybeef
10-19-2013, 05:30 AM
Sony aims to please. I might cross over and become a ps owner. Then ill be a ps Xb owner

Stealth Gamer92
10-19-2013, 05:32 AM
Sony aims to please. I might cross over and become a ps owner. Then ill be a ps Xb owner

TRAITOR! :p

plentybeef
10-19-2013, 05:33 AM
TRAITOR! :p

Technically I'm a trader. Like jawas

Stealth Gamer92
10-19-2013, 05:37 AM
Technically I'm a trader. Like jawas

No fair I cant be mad at a person who works in a Star Wars reference that good. :)

Lowly Assassin
10-19-2013, 08:16 AM
Sony gives money to Ubisoft, Sony gets exclusive stuff. The same way Microsoft get CoD map packs early, they pay Activision.

As for why PC also get the stuff, no idea as that is also microsoft.

I feel I should stick my foot in here and show you all how little I know about AC
Originally it was intended to be a Sony /ps3 exclusive, so at the heart of the matter; either Sony put up money to find the project (highly unlikely as ubi is the 3rd biggest independent publisher and developer) or there is a licensing/ rights management/ ownership issue at the heart of it, and don't doesn't say anything because UBisoft buy them off with exclusive content
Also nvidia is a huge partner with UBisoft, nvidia works hand in hand (actually sends employees to UBisoft) to help them code the PC versions of games and get the most out of the nvidia hardware, so UBisoft "pays" for this by giving extra content to the PC market (including the ps3 content but also graphical/ physx differences that most users would not notice unless they had a somewhere decent gaming setup

So did I pass that (I know nothing) test?

pacmanate
10-19-2013, 11:44 AM
I feel I should stick my foot in here and show you all how little I know about AC
Originally it was intended to be a Sony /ps3 exclusive, so at the heart of the matter; either Sony put up money to find the project (highly unlikely as ubi is the 3rd biggest independent publisher and developer) or there is a licensing/ rights management/ ownership issue at the heart of it, and don't doesn't say anything because UBisoft buy them off with exclusive content
Also nvidia is a huge partner with UBisoft, nvidia works hand in hand (actually sends employees to UBisoft) to help them code the PC versions of games and get the most out of the nvidia hardware, so UBisoft "pays" for this by giving extra content to the PC market (including the ps3 content but also graphical/ physx differences that most users would not notice unless they had a somewhere decent gaming setup

So did I pass that (I know nothing) test?

I never said you knew nothing.. but I guess?

I know AC was supposed to be an exclusive but I doubt all the exclusive stuff is Ubi saying "sorry" to Sony. There has to be some money involved. It won't be out of good will. Business is business.

cyrax008
10-19-2013, 02:53 PM
Meh. I'll probably still buy it, but only after the price has dropped. At the moment it's just not worth full price to me, with this cheating going on.

No one is being cheated!
Sony PAID money for this content. WTF should MS get extra content when they didn't pay for it?

Doesn't make sense!

People acting so immature:

"I'm going to cancel my pre-order just because 3 missions that have no importance to the main game aren't in the Xbox version"

Xbox does the SAME exact thing! They get exclusive content that Sony doesn't get. It works both ways. SMFH!!

cyrax008
10-19-2013, 02:54 PM

Red Dead Redemption is on the PS3 as well (2010).

Mr_Shade
10-19-2013, 03:12 PM
Please use the muti quote option, if replying to multiple posts.

its next to the reply with quote on each post, just press it on all of the ones you want, and hit "reply to thread"

pirate1802
10-19-2013, 03:15 PM
No one is being cheated!
Sony PAID money for this content. WTF should MS get extra content when they didn't pay for it?

Doesn't make sense!

"I'm going to cancel my pre-order just because 3 missions that have no importance to the main game aren't in the Xbox version"

Xbox does the SAME exact thing! They get exclusive content that Sony doesn't get. It works both ways. SMFH!!

Indeed. I'll cancel my standard preorder because I didn't get that extra mission and a few costume the gamestop guys got. Cheating!

FrankieSatt
10-19-2013, 04:30 PM
No one is being cheated!

Doesn't make sense!

I know if happens on both platforms but that doesn't make it right. If someone wants to cancel their pre-order because of it than that is their prerogative.

Also, how do you know those missions are not important. Have you played them? While not important to the main story line they might add little bits of extra behind the scenes stories that relate to the game and those will be missing to those of us on the XBox.

The bottom line is that exclusives are not a professional way to do business, no matter which platform it's for nor which game developer takes money for them.

pacmanate
10-19-2013, 04:38 PM
I know if happens on both platforms but that doesn't make it right. If someone wants to cancel their pre-order because of it than that is their prerogative.

Also, how do you know those missions are not important. Have you played them? While not important to the main story line they might add little bits of extra behind the scenes stories that relate to the game and those will be missing to those of us on the XBox.

The bottom line is that exclusives are not a professional way to do business, no matter which platform it's for nor which game developer takes money for them.

Actually it is a professional way to do business. It means more people buy it on that company's platform. As for Avelines stuff, you could just watch it on youtube? It will only be around 30-60 minutes.

pirate1802
10-19-2013, 04:54 PM
Actually it is a professional way to do business.

Indeed.

STDlyMcStudpants
10-19-2013, 06:10 PM
Greed. The ones who have PS3/4 will get it just like if it was 360/XB1 exclusive they would buy the exclusive stuff while PS3/4 people complained. Greed is law in big buisiness.

Theres a difference between being greedy and running a successful business....
Greed is taking more than you need..knowing everyone needs to eat but eating twice as much as a man your size should..
Wanting money and having money isn't greedy, thousands of people would lose their jobs if video game industries went bankrupt.
They have to position themselves in a way to not only keep the company going but surplus to be able to pay their employees....
More money made on a game = a higher budget next time (unless youre call of duty hahahahaha)
I don't see DLC as greedy, rather an attempt to punish used game users while ultimately screwing the preorders..because at the end of the day..
If you buy used, you're cheap or just simply don't see how a video game can be worth more than $20 ..you're not the ones that are going to buy dlc any way.
DLC are basically taxes....the 1st hand consumers are paying for the 2nd handers discount.
It's an unfair model.
If they want to stop 2nd hand they simply need to include everything in a new copy and charge $70....
Not on disc but as a code..(Season Pass comes with game) one that expires say at the end of that games season. (4 to 4 and a half months)
By the 5th month a game is usually taken off store shelves and or discounted.
And since it is only a season pass it still allows for post season DLC like borderlands and Skyrim did.
Is that too much to ask for? Having a complete game?
Let's be honest here for 99% of games..there are no such things as "Add Ons" only cut outs exist.

eifere
10-19-2013, 07:28 PM
Doesn't XBOX 360 has some exclusives too?

phoenix-force411
10-19-2013, 07:31 PM
Marketing and money are the way companies do things these days. Nothing is really fair in the gaming world. PC players get to make mods and apply them. Something console players can't do to a certain degree.

Gi1t
10-20-2013, 02:11 AM
Doesn't XBOX 360 has some exclusives too?

Most of those are actually timed exclusives. Unfortunately, M$ doesn't buy a lot of absolute exclusives. Instead, for a lot of games, they get it early, then later on when the deal expires, Sony pays to get a bunch of bonus stuff for their release. (I don't mind a bit if it includes all the DLC for the game since that stuff's available to both consoles, but a lot of PS3 versions of games got entire new game modes and stuff that was never made available to anyone else.) I wish M$ was more interested in buying that stuff, but honestly, the exclusivity of some content may be irritating, but isn't NEARLY enough to make people go buy another $200 console. SO for the last time, stop telling people to "go buy a PS3". It's not gonna happen because people aren't that ******* stupid. And also, if watching this stuff on youtube was okay with people, they obviously wouldn't be complaining. It's an unfair side effect of how things are in the industry, but it's one we're pretty much stuck with for now, so complaining is about the only thing people can do. Talking down to them isn't going to help it stop; it just makes people look like elitists. If people complain though, maybe one day someone will come up with a way to make a profit off of content availability, and maybe someone will find a way to profit more from selling full games than from selling the cuts material as DLC. The industry has changed a lot over the years, so if the way people buy games starts to change, there might indeed be a way to make more customer-friendly practices profitable. :)