PDA

View Full Version : Ideas for Big Bad?

GreatBeyonder
10-16-2013, 06:30 PM
I'm actually very curious who the villain in this game will be. I have a suspicion it'll be...

Blackbeard- Because at the end of the day, pirates are bad people, and his use of illusion and reputation reminds me a lot of Al Mualim... imagine him getting his hands on an Apple of Eden.

Charles Vane- Again, because he's such a bad, bad man , though I don't really see it.

Woodes Rogers - The trailers strongly imply this, and its been confirmed he's a Templar, but I like the idea he's a heroic figure. Hunting pirates IS a pretty noble act, assuming he's not after some crazy First Civ tech... (Which he probably is.) However, history paints him as much more sympathetic than, say, Charles Lee or Rodrigo Borgia, and he lived a very successful life until 1732.

Bartholomew Roberts - My personal pick. Why? Because Bartholomew Roberts was THE pirate of the age. Captured 470 ships, created the most famous and strenuous version of the pirate code, dressed like a cross between Captain Hook and Barbossa, killed a LOT of people, and more or less made piracy cool by being so damn good at... and yet we've heard fairly little about him from the devs. Why? Could it because Bart Roberts's most valued item IRL was a gold cross? Eh? Eh?

Anyway, what do you guys think?

adventurewomen
10-16-2013, 06:35 PM
I won't know until the game, Lol!

Seriously anyone from the list of suspects could turn out to be the antagonist. Maybe it will be Charles again.. :D

Farlander1991
10-16-2013, 06:38 PM
Why? Could it because Bart Roberts's most valued item IRL was a gold cross? Eh? Eh?

Didn't Bartholomew Roberts die on the coasts of West Africa?

I personally think Rogers would be the 'Big Bad' of sorts. Precisely because his main goal in history was to, essentially, bring order to the Caribbean. Plays out very nicely with Edward's conflicted loyalties, AND would get into a really gray area since we do know that he lives past the events of the game, so there will be something that makes Edward let him live.

GreatBeyonder
10-16-2013, 07:02 PM
Didn't Bartholomew Roberts die on the coasts of West Africa?

I personally think Rogers would be the 'Big Bad' of sorts. Precisely because his main goal in history was to, essentially, bring order to the Caribbean. Plays out very nicely with Edward's conflicted loyalties, AND would get into a really gray area since we do know that he lives past the events of the game, so there will be something that makes Edward let him live.

He did, but then again, Cesare Borgia died in Navarre eight years after being kicked out of Rome, which the devs didn't see as an issue for a good climax. Edward Kenway at least oewns his own ship, and Bart Roberts only died a year after leaving the Carribean.

Farlander1991
10-16-2013, 07:15 PM
Cesare Borgia died in Navarre eight years after being kicked out of Rome, which the devs didn't see as an issue for a good climax.

While AC is no stranger to people dying slightly off-year (though that's the case mostly with AC1, to be honest), Cesare Borgia died in 1507 (http://www.britannica.com/EBchecked/topic/74127/Cesare-Borgia-duke-of-Valentinois) near Viana, like in the game. In battle.

Rugterwyper32
10-16-2013, 07:29 PM
I can see good ol' Woodes being the main villain, with Edward doing one last trip to the Caribbean to kill him after having failed before or something. Or he spares him and for some good reason.
Someone brought up someone very interesting as a potential villain, Edward Low.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edward_Low

He's a very potential possibility too, I feel.

Hans684
10-16-2013, 07:46 PM
I'm actually very curious who the villain in this game will be. I have a suspicion it'll be...

Blackbeard- Because at the end of the day, pirates are bad people, and his use of illusion and reputation reminds me a lot of Al Mualim... imagine him getting his hands on an Apple of Eden.

Charles Vane- Again, because he's such a bad, bad man , though I don't really see it.

Woodes Rogers - The trailers strongly imply this, and its been confirmed he's a Templar, but I like the idea he's a heroic figure. Hunting pirates IS a pretty noble act, assuming he's not after some crazy First Civ tech... (Which he probably is.) However, history paints him as much more sympathetic than, say, Charles Lee or Rodrigo Borgia, and he lived a very successful life until 1732.

Bartholomew Roberts - My personal pick. Why? Because Bartholomew Roberts was THE pirate of the age. Captured 470 ships, created the most famous and strenuous version of the pirate code, dressed like a cross between Captain Hook and Barbossa, killed a LOT of people, and more or less made piracy cool by being so damn good at... and yet we've heard fairly little about him from the devs. Why? Could it because Bart Roberts's most valued item IRL was a gold cross? Eh? Eh?

Anyway, what do you guys think?

Blackbeard - Bot gonna happen.

Charles Vane - As the main villan, then no but as an assassination target is a higher chance.

Woodes Rogers - Possible.

Bartholemew Roberts - Not likely.

GreatBeyonder
10-16-2013, 07:51 PM
While AC is no stranger to people dying slightly off-year (though that's the case mostly with AC1, to be honest), Cesare Borgia died in 1507 (http://www.britannica.com/EBchecked/topic/74127/Cesare-Borgia-duke-of-Valentinois) near Viana, like in the game. In battle.

Viana is in Navarre, silly. Though I don't know why I said eight years instead of four... still, that's four times longer than Black Bart's absence.

And I think Edward Low is an interesting choice, though I wonder if the Devs might combine him with Charles Vane.

LoyalACFan
10-17-2013, 12:59 AM
]Someone brought up someone very interesting as a potential villain, Edward Low.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edward_Low

He's a very potential possibility too, I feel.

'Twas me ;) Not sure if they'll actually use him though, since they've already got so damn many Edwards in the game :p

Here's how I see it.

Woodes Rogers- plausible, and he seems like the obvious choice as the main "anti-pirate" guy in the region. But he didn't die until the 1730s (just a couple years before Edward died) and I don't see why Edward would go back to the Caribbean after all those years to finish him off. Granted, we don't know that much about the story yet and there could be other factors at play, but it seems weird. Then again, Edward could pull an Ezio and spare him in the end. Interestingly though, his date of death lines up pretty well with Freedom Cry's timeline?

Bartholomew Roberts- uncertain, since literally the only confirmation we have of him in the game was that leaked action figure pic. They normally show the main Templar before launch, don't they, even if they don't reveal him as the bad guy? We saw Al Mualim, Rodrigo, Cesare, Ahmet, and Lee before launch of their respective games, but we only knew about the Borgias being bad, the others were revealed further into the game. Black Bart might be a high-ranking Templar or something, but I doubt he's the "final" target.

Ned Low- possible, but I only picked him because he died about the same time the game ended and he was a complete bastard in real life. Again, I could see him being a major player, but maybe not like the ultimate nemesis.

Rugterwyper32
10-17-2013, 01:16 AM
'Twas me ;) Not sure if they'll actually use him though, since they've already got so damn many Edwards in the game :p

Yep, now I remember. I can understand what you mean, we already have 3 Edwards. Any more and I think it'd be The Edward game or something.

Woodes Rogers- plausible, and he seems like the obvious choice as the main "anti-pirate" guy in the region. But he didn't die until the 1730s (just a couple years before Edward died) and I don't see why Edward would go back to the Caribbean after all those years to finish him off. Granted, we don't know that much about the story yet and there could be other factors at play, but it seems weird. Then again, Edward could pull an Ezio and spare him in the end. Interestingly though, his date of death lines up pretty well with Freedom Cry's timeline?

Oh, oh! That gives me and idea! What if Edward ends up sparing him during his storyline and strikes a deal with him of sorts? There was speculation about Edward using the pseudonym of Charles Johnson and writing that book about the history of pirates. And then I went to Wikipedia for a quick read to see if I missed anything and... There's this: "Even so, Rogers wrote that he was "perplexed with the melancholy prospect of [his] affairs". In 1722 or 1723, Rogers was approached by a man writing a history of piracy, and supplied him with information. The resulting work, A General History of the Robberies and Murders of the Most Notorious Pyrates, published under the pseudonym Captain Charles Johnson, was an enormous hit on both sides of the Atlantic, and catapulted Rogers for the second time to the status of a national hero. "

Now that's interesting. If it ends up fitting in, I could see Edward and Woodes striking a deal with each other, and making it so somehow Edward's name disappears from history for some reason. And then, in Ade's DLC, Ade himself could end up the one who finishes Woodes off.

LoyalACFan
10-17-2013, 01:24 AM
There was speculation about Edward using the pseudonym of Charles Johnson and writing that book about the history of pirates.

That was me too :p

But yeah, I totally see where you're coming from. Rogers seems like he'll be quite a unique presence in the game.