PDA

View Full Version : What qualities do YOU think a modern day protagonist should have?

Shahkulu101
10-15-2013, 06:16 PM
With Desmond's brain fried, I expect that after ACIV we shall once again have a modern day character we control in third person.

If this is the case - what qualities do you think he/she should have to make them more likable and/or interesting than Desmond (Who carries much scrutiny for being 'bland' or 'boring' - so much so that a number of AC fans celebrated his death)

I personally didn't mind Desmond but I was never captivated by his story at all. With future installments I feel there needs to be more going on in the modern day - engaging storylines that will make us attached to our character or a unique character arc. To be honest, just anything that doesn't make being pulled out of the Animus such a drag.

Locopells
10-15-2013, 06:19 PM
Spoilers, dude.

Stealth Gamer92
10-15-2013, 06:20 PM
He/she should be silent(but not totaly mute), smart enough to think stratedgize and catch on quickly, and patient. That is my opinion.

x___Luffy___x
10-15-2013, 06:25 PM
i don't have a problem with having a new modern character. we will have someone eventually, i think and whoever it will be they definitely will not make him like Desmond.
i just don't want to spend much time playing in the modern day part of the game. i love AC for the historical part.

dxsxhxcx
10-15-2013, 06:34 PM
If a new (MD) protagonist will be introduced in the game after AC4 (IMO) it shouldn't be in first person and IMO Desmond had potential, the problem is that Ubisoft never really cared about making his side of the story (and the modern days as a whole, gameplay and story wise) as appealing as the historical part of the game, I don't care which qualities/flaws this character will have as long as the presentation of his/her story is good (and that means A LOT better than Desmond's)

Shahkulu101
10-15-2013, 06:41 PM
Spoilers, dude.

Edited - It slipped my mind due to the release of AC4 looming.

ze_topazio
10-15-2013, 06:56 PM
Fluent in four languages, expert on history of culinary, fan of Sporting Clube de Portugal (best football club in the world and beyond), a degree in architecture, owner of a sausage making business and 15 cm long hair.

Stealth Gamer92
10-15-2013, 07:03 PM
Sporting Clube de Portugal (best football club in the world and beyond)

No way.

ze_topazio
10-15-2013, 07:08 PM
No way.

Yes way.

Stealth Gamer92
10-15-2013, 07:10 PM
Yes way.

There is no football there only soccer. :p

adventurewomen
10-15-2013, 07:11 PM
I would like a modern protagonist not to take focus or distract from the main historical side of the game. A character who doesn't disrupt gameplay like talking during a cutscenes or getting out of the animus when they like. Basically anything other than Desmond.

k4Anarky2011
10-15-2013, 07:12 PM
I would really appreciate it if he would just sit still and shut up.

ze_topazio
10-15-2013, 07:18 PM
There is no football there only soccer. :p

What's this soccer you speak of, some kind of pastry?

I would like a modern protagonist not to take focus or distract from the main historical side of the game. A character who doesn't disrupt gameplay like talking during a cutscenes or getting out of the animus when they like. Basically anything other than Desmond.

What if it's Connor who turned out to have found the fountain of youth and is still alive and kicking and is now an expert on muay thai and erotic literature?

xboxauditore
10-15-2013, 07:20 PM
He should be Troy Baker.

pacmanate
10-15-2013, 07:23 PM
He should be Troy Baker.

Yes!!!

Sigv4rd
10-15-2013, 07:28 PM
NOT DESMOND MILES!!!:mad:
lol
Seriously though:
- Interesting well developed back story that may or may not have anything to do with the Assassins/Templars...
- Interacts with more than 3-5 people on a daily basis.
- Has interesting things to say about the times and places he lives in, Altair, Ezio, Edward, Aveline, Connor, and Haytham have all had a unique place in the world and offered a better understanding of life in the age they lived in... Desmond was a bartender, would have been nice for him to act more like a bartender! It would have been interesting for him to reflect upon his experiences more. Some actual emotion about his situation. I was one of the few who actually enjoyed The Lost Archive because it gave a nice view into Desmond's life and made me actually like him a bit.
- Interacts more with the outside world.
- Possibly a woman...
- Better adversaries...

Shahkulu101
10-15-2013, 07:33 PM
He should be Troy Baker.

Yes X2! The guy is amazing - he can do so many different parts, a very flexible actor.

pacmanate
10-15-2013, 07:36 PM
Troy baker should be in everything purely because you can never tell Troy Baker is Troy Baker. If WB never told us he was playing The Joker, no one would know. Troy didnt even want to announce it.

xboxauditore
10-15-2013, 07:38 PM
Troy baker should be in everything purely because you can never tell Troy Baker is Troy Baker. If WB never told us he was playing The Joker, no one would know. Troy didnt even want to announce it.

That's because he is awesome.

TheHumanTowel
10-15-2013, 07:38 PM
lol what. So basically a modern day character who doesn't exist.

Shahkulu101
10-15-2013, 07:43 PM
Thinking about it, I think I'd like a lady.

Stealth Gamer92
10-15-2013, 07:58 PM
deleted. Sorry it was a bad joke I guess. We cool? :cool:

Shahkulu101
10-15-2013, 08:00 PM
It is the worst sport ever. An ex of mine made me watch it once. She was from Mexico and said "Wanna watch some football?" She didn't put it on football though. It was a bunch of guys running around just trying to get that black&white checkered ball into a couple of nets. Ten minuites later I left got in my car and never went back. :p No I am not realy that cruel. I broke up with her cause she was crazy. :p

1. You are ignorant - football is the most popular sport on the planet as opposed to American football which should be renamed 'handegg'.

2. Stay on topic, please.

Stealth Gamer92
10-15-2013, 08:04 PM
1. You are ignorant - football is the most popular sport on the planet as opposed to American football which should be renamed 'handegg'.

2. Stay on topic, please.

I am not ignorant just amused at the fact, and useing as a joke, that these sports use the same name. Purely on topic from here on as requested though.

STDlyMcStudpants
10-15-2013, 08:06 PM
I dont think we will have a protagonist or play in third person again, if we do they will be customiseable and mute like Skyrim
They explained it all as taking out the middle man..that is why we will be playing as ourself in AC IV
Its US reliving history now..instead of us playing a guy reliving history.

Shahkulu101
10-15-2013, 08:19 PM
I dont think we will have a protagonist or play in third person again, if we do they will be customiseable and mute like Skyrim
They explained it all as taking out the middle man..that is why we will be playing as ourself in AC IV

Yes, for now. Who's to say they haven't already written in a character for AC5? I hope and expect that's the case - I will get bored of playing as 'us'. I prefer to see other characters story unfold - allowing us to grow attached to them. Sure, we get that in the historical segments but I believe there is potential in the modern day storyline.

dxsxhxcx
10-15-2013, 08:29 PM

the reason why we are playing as "us" in AC4 (at least what I think is the reason behind it) is because they are probably creating the "next arc" as we speak since stretch out this franchise for so long wasn't in the original plan, we still need to deal with Juno, left that to be resolved on the background (with the player as a simple spectator) or make "us" be the person who will deal with her IMO would be an amateur decision, that's why they need to move away from 1st person as soon as they can (and I hope this means the next game) and bring an interesting new protagonist to the table and work on a better way to tell his/her story than they did with Desmond on his arc...

LoyalACFan
10-15-2013, 08:37 PM
I'll have to wait until I've played AC4 to comment further, but I think I'm liking the way they've handled the modern story. Something that complements the historical part, rather than constantly ripping you out of it. AC should be like 99% historical IMO, but with a little taste of the modern day to give the player some context for the ramifications of the ancestor's actions, especially in relation to POE and First Civilization stuff.

dxsxhxcx
10-15-2013, 08:43 PM
I'll have to wait until I've played AC4 to comment further, but I think I'm liking the way they've handled the modern story. Something that complements the historical part, rather than constantly ripping you out of it. AC should be like 99% historical IMO, but with a little taste of the modern day to give the player some context for the ramifications of the ancestor's actions, especially in relation to POE and First Civilization stuff.

IMO that's why many players don't like the modern days, because its effect is so minimal on the players and there're so little to do that they don't care enough about it to enjoy it, (even thinking they were awful) they went on the right direction with the Desmond missions in AC3 but a lot more needs to be done to make it more enjoyable story and gameplay wise

LoyalACFan
10-15-2013, 08:53 PM
IMO that's why many players don't like the modern days, because its effect is so minimal on the players and there're so little to do that they don't care enough about it to enjoy it, (even thinking they were awful) they went on the right direction with the Desmond missions in AC3 but a lot more needs to be done to make it more enjoyable story and gameplay wise

But they can't really make the modern stuff that in-depth, because it would be like making two different games. You can't make modern gameplay that's identical to the historical gameplay (look at the disaster that was AC3's Desmond content) nor can you make a severely altered but equally engaging gameplay style for such a small part of the game. For modern assassination gameplay to work well, it basically has to be like Splinter Cell or Metal Gear, which would be too drastically different from traditional AC gameplay to be incorporated into an AC game specifically for the 2013 parts.

AC4 has the right philosophy of "here it is if you want it, if not, forget it and go back to Edward." The gameplay doesn't need to be anything spectacular, since it's basically just for the hardcore fans who want it for story content. Watch Dogs is where they need to be focusing on modern gameplay, and if done right, it'll satisfy the widespread desire for a modern AC.

Stealth Gamer92
10-15-2013, 09:24 PM
I deleted my earlier joke. Wasn't trying to pick a fight or offend anyone. Sorry if I did though.

Gi1t
10-15-2013, 09:29 PM
He should be Troy Baker.

Seconded. :D

In general, I prefer when characters have a variety of personality traits and express how they're feeling in a way that gives you insight into who they are. With Desmond, it often felt like we were viewing him from the perspective of another person because of how low-key he was. I mean, in AC1 it fit in since it was the start of the saga and had that element of mystery to it, so having a lot of questions about Desmond fit with that theme and the way he acted kind of fit with his circumstances. But as the games moved on and his importance was magnified, they really ought to have changed the way his interactions were presented and given you more insight into what was going through his mind instead of keeping him in that sort of confused lab rat mentality he started out with. Nothing he did ever really surprised me. I'd like to see someone who doesn't always do what's expected or even preferred, but in doing so, really defines who they are. I'm not one of those people who gets mad just because a character does sometihng I don't agree with. It's their story after all. :)

Sigv4rd
10-15-2013, 09:31 PM
Also ideally pants... They modern protagonist needs to wear pants!

Jexx21
10-15-2013, 09:45 PM
But they can't really make the modern stuff that in-depth, because it would be like making two different games. You can't make modern gameplay that's identical to the historical gameplay (look at the disaster that was AC3's Desmond content) nor can you make a severely altered but equally engaging gameplay style for such a small part of the game. For modern assassination gameplay to work well, it basically has to be like Splinter Cell or Metal Gear, which would be too drastically different from traditional AC gameplay to be incorporated into an AC game specifically for the 2013 parts.

AC4 has the right philosophy of "here it is if you want it, if not, forget it and go back to Edward." The gameplay doesn't need to be anything spectacular, since it's basically just for the hardcore fans who want it for story content. Watch Dogs is where they need to be focusing on modern gameplay, and if done right, it'll satisfy the widespread desire for a modern AC.

There are games with modern-day social stealth... see Hitman: Absolution..

dxsxhxcx
10-15-2013, 09:48 PM

AC4 has the right philosophy of "here it is if you want it, if not, forget it and go back to Edward." The gameplay doesn't need to be anything spectacular, since it's basically just for the hardcore fans who want it for story content.

I ain't looking for an equal experience to the historical gameplay, I understand it would be really weird depending of the place we were if we could do all we do with the ancestor during the modern days without severe consequences, but does it need to have a so in-depth gameplay style to work well? I don't think so...

using ACB as an example, we got an empty city on the modern days with nothing to do other than run around and watch a few cutscenes, IMO its MD experience would've been much better if they had left the city open, with people living there, I wouldn't care if we weren't able to climb its buildings because of it, just walk around on an lively city would've been awesome, better yet if we could "eavesdrop" tourists near the mansion talking about Mario and Ezio and how there were rumors saying they might have been part of an obscure organization, little things like this would certainly be better than run around an empty city searching for pointless collectibles just to get an achievement, there's also that moment where Rebecca (or Shaun) talk about a mysterious van near the Villa, at this moment we could have had some missions were we should find the Abstergo agents (1st mission), discover why they're there (2nd mission) and then kill them silently (3rd mission) in a similar way we assassinate Juan Borgia on ACB without being detected and in front of everyone but without drawn attention to us...

we can also use ACR's Desmond's 1st person missions as an example, instead of have that (IMO) awful experience we had, why not allow us to play those memories in 3rd person? (I might be wrong since it's been some time since I played ACR but I don't remember doing anything so suspicious or extraordinary that it wouldn't make possible for those events to happen in 3rd person with the animus recreating the city like it does with the ancestors), at least IMO this would've been much more immersive and enjoyable than what we got..

guns are a problem during the modern days, I know that, but why every mission we need to do (during the modern days) needs to happen in a heavily guarded place where every possible threat against us is armed to the teeth, why not put Templar target #41 on his way to work in the middle of the street during the day and the player following him and stab him on movement like Connor does in AC3? just put enough people walking around the target to don't drawn attention to us and BOOM, we have a little mission with (IMO) a big immersion potential for almost nothing...

in short, IMO what the modern day gameplay needs to do is provide an immersive experience and I believe they already have all (or at least most of) the tools for it to happen, they just need to want to do it...

of course I'm no developer and this might be harder to do than I think, but this doesn't mean they shouldn't give it a try (or try harder)...

Watch Dogs is where they need to be focusing on modern gameplay, and if done right, it'll satisfy the widespread desire for a modern AC.

I completely disagree, the day I need to play another game that has nothing to do with AC just to fulfil its lack of improvement in certain area I'll certainly stop playing AC, this won't make AC (the game I'm interested) better, I would just be ignoring its flaws and this is all the publishers want to don't need to spend more money to improve a game and deliver more of the same to maximize profit

STDlyMcStudpants
10-15-2013, 10:45 PM
Yes, for now. Who's to say they haven't already written in a character for AC5? I hope and expect that's the case - I will get bored of playing as 'us'. I prefer to see other characters story unfold - allowing us to grow attached to them. Sure, we get that in the historical segments but I believe there is potential in the modern day storyline.

I can definitely see AC V starting a new arc..
But would put money on AC V not coming out next year.
I believe we will play as our self for at least 2 games..or maybe our story stretches into MP /we unlock cutscenes that we cant view until we complete story mode. (perhaps mp isnt unlocked until you beat story mode) So our story could very well end in 1 game..i dont see that happening though if we only get a single player story.
We are supposed to betting a Kenway Trilogy..I'm hoping and praying that this means we will get a Connor Edward Game like Revelations next year...and this is where I suspect our story will end
And then as you said.. ACV will be the biggest and greatest AC game yet where we will be introduced to a new protagonist..perhaps someone we have already met in the AC universe.

But we all know the taking out a middle man explanation was a scapegoat because AC was supposed to end at AC 3 and ACB+ACR werent supposed to exist :D
They had to think on their toes

Spider_Sith9
10-15-2013, 11:47 PM
Regular guy. We have sections where he's hanging out with people he knew/now knows and a woman who is (secretly) an Assassin. But he also cares for his girlfriend and the child whom he got involved with the war (Templars are trying to kill him after the events of AC4). The story has alot to do with modern side content (helping out someone who's being cyberbullied) and at lowest just average things (going to a restaurant as a side content) and such. While the aspect of the war is still going on, there's actual mature and serious parts in the story like the Templars possibly coming to the Player Character's apartment and shooting up the place and trying to kill them (think the Lucy situation when she was beaten in AC1).

Sorta what Mass Effect-y I guess you could say. He realizes he doesn't like them (not his girl or kid) because his life was saved or anything like that. Despite them being Assassins, he stays with them because he enjoys them as friends too. He enjoys the freedom of life itself as well. Combat is different from Animus gameplay though. I'd love to see a guy like that who is just a regular person and the characterization shows it. Think Lucas Kane or Rokuro Okajima. Personally, I think Brad Swaile would be my fav selection while Troy Baker would be an Assassin.

Jexx21
10-16-2013, 12:22 AM
Juhanni Otso Berg

We also need to have a modern-day city for a modern day character in a future game. Utilize social stealth, blending in with the crowds, exploring, infiltrating companies and stealing items. No guards to kill, just the freedom of exploration. Only time weapons would be used would be in modern day missions.

Assassin_M
10-16-2013, 02:01 AM
Juhanni Otso Berg
This

I could've sworn this was the mofo we play as in AC IV, but not the case

I-Like-Pie45
10-16-2013, 02:13 AM
he should be voiced by Nicolas Kim Coppola and his name is Nicolas "Not the Hidden Blades!" Cage. He ad-libs all his dialogue!

The entire main plot is based around two hours of nonsense muttered by Coppola into a mic when the director and writer locked him into a room, told him the vague premise of AC and get creatvie