PDA

View Full Version : Review of 50 minutes of gameplay.

AlphaAltair
10-15-2013, 01:46 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tgF9QYDOooM

Wow.

I'm so glad I saw this...now.

-The animations are even clunkier than AC3- bouncy bouncy jump, zigzag run- bouncing up buildings etc.

-Havana and Nassau are way too tiny!

-Between the 2 (MAJOR) cities there are a disappointing 8(!) Assassination contracts

-Naval combat seems very "arcadey"

-The whole game has an almost cartoon vibe to it!

-The ocean looks unrealistic and again cartoony (and this is next gen)

-Edward isnt even an Assassin in this game

-For most of the game Edward will not be wearing the assassins hood.

Finally it appears to be an incohesive mess, a great big tacky open world with lots of empty things to do on lots of little islands with a little arcady boat to pop to and fro on. with lots of little empty little rewards...

I am really disappointed and I had almost no expectations coming in...

Despite being an old and massive AC fan who is really trying to hold on to this series i'm going to wait more than a little while to get this one.......

Aphex_Tim
10-15-2013, 02:21 PM
Anything else?
Also, you could've just posted this here:
http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/800856-50-min-gameplay-%28German%29%28spoilers%29

Farlander1991
10-15-2013, 02:50 PM
Between the 2 (MAJOR) cities there are a disappointing 8(!) Assassination contracts

Assassinations contracts are spread out between all locations and settlements, not just cities. AC2 had 30 contracts, AC4 seems will have approximately the same amount.

It has the same feel as the AC3 combat, so, not sure what you were expecting there.

-The whole game has an almost cartoon vibe to it!

So does Ezio's trilogy in comparison to AC1 and AC3, you don't seem to mind.

Now this is just ********. I grew up alongside sea games, many of them hailed as 'the best water in gaming' at the time, and so far AC4's water is, if not THE best and one of the most realistic ones, then one of the best.

Ezio wasn't an Assassin until Sequence 11 in AC2.

-For most of the game Edward will not be wearing the assassins hood.

While you may be right (since we haven't seen the final game yet), literally half of the video is spent IN the hood, so... not sure where you're getting your stats from :p

I am really disappointed and I had almost no expectations coming in...

I'm sorry, but for a long time you were arguing against AC4, I'm not sure that qualifies as 'no expectations'.

Stealth Gamer92
10-15-2013, 02:57 PM
I agree with Farlander. This thread just makes it seem like you condemed ACIV from the start and haven't gave it a fair chance.

Rugterwyper32
10-15-2013, 03:07 PM
Farlander covered most of the points here, and I agree with him, but a few others.

City sizes: I've said this before, I'll say it again. Sure, the cities in Black Flag will be smaller, but I think it's a good thing. Three cities, let's say all three were the size of the Galata District. That not only helps the sense of scale of the hub world/horizon/Caribbean more believable (because frankly, did you ever feel that you were going from somewhere between Maine/New Hampshire and Pennsylvania when the frontier was smaller than the two cities combined?), but it also allows for a lot more content and more polished, too. I was actually worried about the sense of scale, myself. I was wondering "how will I feel I'm getting lost in the Caribbean if the cities are beastly in terms of size?". It worked in AC1, the cities were big enough but never too big, and that helped the Kingdom (while it was admittedly a whole lot of nothing) feel bigger and made the trip feel like an actual long trip. I can see them being somewhere between the size of the Galata District of ACR and Damascus. To give you the idea...

http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o52/Rugterwyper/830x1075_zps88871a73.png

It works out rather well, I feel

As for naval combat: It's good that it feels arcade-y, it's a videogame after all. Do you REALLY want a recreation of a naval battle in the 1700? Because that'd be rather clunky and I don't think it'd be exactly the most enjoyable thing for a videogame, you know. This allows naval battles to be fun, which is good.

And I'll just answer to the cartoony part because why not, and my answer is: What's so bad about it being cartoony? Now that I think about it I'd definitely appreciate a cel-shaded AC game based on the comics for the heck of it, that could be pretty amazing. Zelda: Wind Waker uses such a style and it's still one of my favorite games of all time.

Farlander1991
10-15-2013, 03:15 PM
As for naval combat: It's good that it feels arcade-y, it's a videogame after all. Do you REALLY want a recreation of a naval battle in the 1700? Because that'd be rather clunky and I don't think it'd be exactly the most enjoyable thing for a videogame, you know. This allows naval battles to be fun, which is good.

I played games with realistic naval battle in the 1700s, and they were awesome. However, they all had one thing: a speed up option. You played on 1x speed only when a lot of tactical decisions had to be made in a really short period of time. But AC4 streamlines all that, because realistic naval combat is not the focus, it's the overall feel and tone that is.

And I'll just answer to the cartoony part because why not, and my answer is: What's so bad about it being cartoony?

I wouldn't even call it that cartoony. I understand where the feel can be gotten from, because the palette is very vibrant. Again, pretty much like it was in Ezio's trilogy. Might even be a little more so due to the tropical nature of the location. But that's good, because it helps the quick visual distinction between those games and also serves as a representation of the overall tone of the setting.

pacmanate
10-15-2013, 03:18 PM
I would rather have a more dense small city than new york or boston ever again.

Rugterwyper32
10-15-2013, 03:23 PM
I played games with realistic naval battle in the 1700s, and they were awesome. However, they all had one thing: a speed up option. You played on 1x speed only when a lot of tactical decisions had to be made in a really short period of time. But AC4 streamlines all that, because realistic naval combat is not the focus, it's the overall feel and tone that is.

I wouldn't even call it that cartoony. I understand where the feel can be gotten from, because the palette is very vibrant. Again, pretty much like it was in Ezio's trilogy. Might even be a little more so due to the tropical nature of the location. But that's good, because it helps the quick visual distinction between those games and also serves as a representation of the overall tone of the setting.

Good points. Yeah, realistic naval battles would be awesome, but the issue here, I feel, is the overall exploration rather than focusing on realistic naval combat in real time. It works for games that rely more on strategy than exploration and whatnot, I feel, and the feeling is the important part here as you said. And I don't know how you'd make a speed-up button work in AC4, so there's that (though I just imagined chimpunk Edward and it was hilarious)
And it''s indeed a good thing that the games are visually distinct indeed. Keeps the variety between settings that works very well and keeps the various settings feeling... fresh, to put it one way.

GreySkellig
10-15-2013, 03:36 PM
-The animations are even clunkier than AC3- bouncy bouncy jump, zigzag run- bouncing up buildings etc.

First off, one of the only things for which AC3 received universal acclaim was the gorgeousness of its character animations, so I'm not sure what "even clunkier than AC3" is supposed to mean And to my eyes Edward has some of the smoothest freerunning of any of the series leads.

-Havana and Nassau are way too tiny!
-Between the 2 (MAJOR) cities there are a disappointing 8(!) Assassination contracts

Don't forget we have a third city of Kingston. Not to mention fishing villages, plantations, forts, I'd be willing to bet that there are just as many in-game buildings, just spread out in a variety of locations. And while yes, the cities are on the small side, part of the reason they seem small is just in comparison to the enormous scale of New York and Boston. To be honest, those cities were too big. It was only after dozens of hours that I could start to navigate them confidently without referring to the map. As an assassin, I'd rather have a small stomping ground that I know like the back of my hand.

There are 3 major cities, a few small ones, and a number of port villages...each of the three main cities has 8 contracts--that's 24 for starters. There was a pigeon coop for assassination contracts in a fishing port shown in an earlier gameplay--more contracts. Friendly forts also offer contracts. So a good deal more than 8. And regardless, still an enormous improvement over AC3's pointless "find the ordinary guard with the marker and kill him" assassinations.

I'm actually with you on this...AC3's naval looked and played more realistically. But I've made my peace with the differences, and I'm still excited to do some pillaging.

I have literally nothing for this. That ocean looks incredible.

He becomes an assassin towards the end--like a certain Italian we know and love. Connor didn't become an assassin until halfway through the game. And honestly, if you hadn't heard about this...where have you been? It's been almost all Darcy's talked about.

Finally it appears to be an incohesive mess, a great big tacky open world with lots of empty things to do on lots of little islands with a little arcady boat to pop to and fro on. with lots of little empty little rewards...

Finally, you seem bitter for unclear reasons. Would you like a hug? (Also, you just partially described Wind Waker...one of the greatest gaming titles ever.)

johnrimmer1998
10-15-2013, 05:51 PM
The bad 'animations' (in most cases) is actually just that the person playing isn't the best at Assassin's Creed so jumps too early or late among other things so Edward doesn't move smoothly.
As well it is two weeks to launch still so they are still polishing the game and this is a demo version.

Sushiglutton
10-15-2013, 05:56 PM
Disagree with most of those points. The only one I agree with is the naval. I mean I understand (and want) the naval to be arcadey. Problem though is the focus on weakspots. They appear all the time, everywhere. Tap triangle to make somehting explode. This is a step too far. What's fun about naval is to maneuver the ship to get that perfect broadside, that's where the focus should have been imo. Weakpsots are too gamey, too automatic and make positioning of the ship almost irrelevant.

pacmanate
10-15-2013, 06:01 PM
I know they tried to make it better by adding trajectory to the cannons but I loved AC3's naval for NOT doing that.

jayjay275
10-15-2013, 06:58 PM
Aren't the demos early build/code anyway?

xboxauditore
10-15-2013, 07:00 PM
I think the problem was that the guy seemed to be playing with his left hand tied behind his back.

luckyto
10-15-2013, 07:23 PM
I would rather have a more dense small city than new york or boston ever again.

I loved them. I'll take them again. Just fill them up or add random events. It was great.

Aside from the cities criticism, the OP criticisms seemly wildly exaggerated or false to me.

pacmanate
10-15-2013, 07:35 PM
I loved them. I'll take them again. Just fill them up or add random events. It was great.

Aside from the cities criticism, the OP criticisms seemly wildly exaggerated or false to me.

Don't worry, I don't agree with them either. Boston and New York were cool and all, but were filled with not very fun side missions and the left side of boston was just random grassland where no missions took place.

luckyto
10-15-2013, 07:35 PM
No more OBJECTIVE FAILED in big red letters when you don't get full sync.... NICE!

luckyto
10-15-2013, 07:40 PM
Don't worry, I don't agree with them either. Boston and New York were cool and all, but were filled with not very fun side missions and the left side of boston was just random grassland where no missions took place.

Yes, but that's not the fault of the city size or design. It's because they just didn't put stuff in them. Or really, with any map that big, you must have random events. RDR can handle a map that big because of random events. Prior AC's got away without random events because they packed the same quantity (or less) in a smaller space. AC3 was just so big. If it had random events, then it would have been fantastic. Frontier had the same problems too.

On topic --- the water looks amazing. I have no idea what he's talking about. Best looking water I've ever seen.

Mr_Shade
10-15-2013, 09:07 PM
Disagree with most of those points. The only one I agree with is the naval. I mean I understand (and want) the naval to be arcadey. Problem though is the focus on weakspots. They appear all the time, everywhere. Tap triangle to make somehting explode. This is a step too far. What's fun about naval is to maneuver the ship to get that perfect broadside, that's where the focus should have been imo. Weakpsots are too gamey, too automatic and make positioning of the ship almost irrelevant.
don't use them ?

A little self control is all that is needed :)

LoyalACFan
10-15-2013, 09:23 PM
I personally think the map size is excellent. I'm not at all fussed by small maps, and indeed, the four "colossal" maps of the series (Rome, Frontier, NY, and Boston) have been my least favorites with a ton of unused space. AC doesn't need huge open spaces, just verticality and density. People always compare it to Red Dead and stuff, which is fine (it's actually my favorite game of all time) but AC doesn't need a map anywhere near that big. Red Dead plays into the Western fantasy of the open range and you've got a horse that can sprint at like 40 MPH indefinitely, so you can cover some ground. AC plays into the fantasy of stalking and assassinating, which needs dense cities and crowds to work best. Not a lot of space is necessary.