PDA

View Full Version : New gameplay footage via Rajman on YouTube (May contain slight spoilers)

Mr_Shade
10-15-2013, 09:58 AM
Hi Assassin's

LOADS of high quality new gameplay - some of which some may contain tiny, tiny spoilers, so please watch with care..

Too many to list, so here's a link!

http://www.youtube.com/user/RajmanGamingHD/videos?view=0&flow=grid

LoyalACFan
10-15-2013, 10:20 AM
Dat outfit :eek:

Wolfmeister1010
10-16-2013, 03:36 AM
I am dissappinted in nassau. I thought it would be chaotic, but the civillians just walk around aimlessly just like always. Is this an early build? Please tell me it is an early build and that nassau is actually lively and chaotic like they said it would.

Rugterwyper32
10-16-2013, 03:54 AM
I'm rather happy with Nassau. It's giving me the Masyaf vibes, the fort helps with that too.
I expect it to get messier and chaotic after this sequence (as this seems to be the early days of Nassau) but right now? It works very well, I think.

Jexx21
10-16-2013, 04:01 AM
I am dissappinted in nassau. I thought it would be chaotic, but the civillians just walk around aimlessly just like always. Is this an early build? Please tell me it is an early build and that nassau is actually lively and chaotic like they said it would.

walking around aimlessly is the definition of chaotic

Wolfmeister1010
10-16-2013, 04:19 AM
walking around aimlessly is the definition of chaotic

I dont think you have that right.

Wolfmeister1010
10-16-2013, 04:20 AM
I'm rather happy with Nassau. It's giving me the Masyaf vibes, the fort helps with that too.
I expect it to get messier and chaotic after this sequence (as this seems to be the early days of Nassau) but right now? It works very well, I think.

You are right. I should have taken into account that it was still under british control at the time. Thank you friend :)

Rugterwyper32
10-16-2013, 04:26 AM
You are right. I should have taken into account that it was still under british control at the time. Thank you friend :)

Yep. If it doesn't happen, I'll be slightly disappointed, and rightfully so. Not too disappointed because I still like the vibe it's giving me, but still, I'd expect to see a messier and more fun Nassau in later sequences. But we'll see when the time comes.

Wolfmeister1010
10-16-2013, 04:33 AM
Yep. If it doesn't happen, I'll be slightly disappointed, and rightfully so. Not too disappointed because I still like the vibe it's giving me, but still, I'd expect to see a messier and more fun Nassau in later sequences. But we'll see when the time comes.

Im just concerned because from what Ash has told us, it should be filled with activity, like drunken brawls in the streets, and drunken people being...drunk! But in the gameplays on youtube the citizens just walk around all chill.

I actually think that nassau will change over time, because i saw a lack of the tents on the beach in the gameplay. Maybe those appear once the pirates takeover.
I hope that once the city becomes under pirate control, the fort becomes more filled up

pacmanate
10-16-2013, 08:18 AM
Im just concerned because from what Ash has told us, it should be filled with activity, like drunken brawls in the streets, and drunken people being...drunk! But in the gameplays on youtube the citizens just walk around all chill.

I actually think that nassau will change over time, because i saw a lack of the tents on the beach in the gameplay. Maybe those appear once the pirates takeover.
I hope that once the city becomes under pirate control, the fort becomes more filled up

I commented about this in another thread. In my mind I had campfires going on, singing, dancing, drunks chatting at the bar or on the floor. I imagined a small dense kind of community really. This just looks like the poor district of Constantinople plonked onto an island. And is it just me or do the NPC's walk in 4's again like AC2 - ACR?

ArabianFrost
10-16-2013, 10:25 AM
I commented about this in another thread. In my mind I had campfires going on, singing, dancing, drunks chatting at the bar or on the floor. I imagined a small dense kind of community really. This just looks like the poor district of Constantinople plonked onto an island. And is it just me or do the NPC's walk in 4's again like AC2 - ACR?

Do you guys remember the first ever demo we got at E3? Lively fires, people gambling, the people on benches actually interacted (giving you a kiss) and blend groups allowed you to interact with them. E3's demo was my vision for Nassau, for some reason it doesn't look like it in the demo.

Gracious God, this is AC3's frontier demo camp all over again. I'm starting to get a bit on the offensive. This needs some explanation, otherwise, they've tricked us again.

Locopells
10-16-2013, 10:44 AM
Was the E3's demo supposed to be Nassau?

pacmanate
10-16-2013, 11:30 AM
Was the E3's demo supposed to be Nassau?

I think it was, I doubt Blackbeard and co would be on some random island.

Do you guys remember the first ever demo we got at E3? Lively fires, people gambling, the people on benches actually interacted (giving you a kiss) and blend groups allowed you to interact with them. E3's demo was my vision for Nassau, for some reason it doesn't look like it in the demo.

Gracious God, this is AC3's frontier demo camp all over again. I'm starting to get a bit on the offensive. This needs some explanation, otherwise, they've tricked us again.

Yeah... maybe it is the frontier demo again :\. It's a shame cause that E3 vision of Nassau was what I wanted, it was perfect imo.

xboxauditore
10-16-2013, 11:43 AM
AC always did that, they'd show off some lively city where blending meant interacting with everyone, then in reality it was the exact same system as AC1.

ACfan443
10-16-2013, 12:37 PM
I think it was, I doubt Blackbeard and co would be on some random island.

Yeah... maybe it is the frontier demo again :\. It's a shame cause that E3 vision of Nassau was what I wanted, it was perfect imo.

The E3 demo wasn't set in Nassau, I think one of the devs confirmed it was just an island, and also mentioned that it was a historical event too.

With regards to NPC/world activity, I'm not even surprised that it's nowhere near E3 demo tier liveliness, I think it's been well established since AC3 that Ubi set themselves the impossible dream when making these exaggerated demos. Also, I have to agree with wolf's sentiments regarding Nassau, from what I've seen so far it looks..disappointing, it reminds me of those settlements in the Frontier. Hopefully Rugterwyper32 is right and it becomes increasingly energetic and bustling with chaos as the sequences progress.

BandicootBeav
10-16-2013, 01:20 PM

Pretty sure that the gameplay is from sequence 3 and it looks like to me that Nassau is under British control so during later sequences it will become more pirate controlled.

ArabianFrost
10-16-2013, 01:28 PM
The E3 demo wasn't set in Nassau, I think one of the devs confirmed it was just an island, and also mentioned that it was a historical event too.

With regards to NPC/world activity, I'm not even surprised that it's nowhere near E3 demo tier liveliness, I think it's been well established since AC3 that Ubi set themselves the impossible dream when making these exaggerated demos. Also, I have to agree with wolf's sentiments regarding Nassau, from what I've seen so far it looks..disappointing, it reminds me of those settlements in the Frontier. Hopefully Rugterwyper32 is right and it becomes increasingly energetic and bustling with chaos as the sequences progress.

Even if it wasn't Nassau. One would think that a main city would have nearly even half the activity as a random island they showed in E3.

Well guys, at least AC4 devs' agreeable sentiment towards abundant previews has rightfully gave us standards for our expectations. On one hand, it's quite the disappointment, but on the other hand, we're going into AC4 with the appropriate expectations this time. We basically pretty much the game at its near final stage with all these previews. At this point, you can formulate an opinion about whethed or not the shown game is what you want. For me, AC4 is a pre-order but barely so. Half of the new mechanics such as harpooning and underwater interest me little, , but the sheer amount of random events such as the naval and the non-linear approach are just about enough to justify buying the game, then trading it for Arkham Origins with a friend.

pirate1802
10-16-2013, 01:32 PM
I knew the moment we saw those interacting NPCs that we'd never see such stuff in the actual game.

ArabianFrost
10-16-2013, 01:42 PM
I knew the moment we saw those interacting NPCs that we'd never see such stuff in the actual game.

Of course we didn't. Blending in would have been such a chore to get in and out of if it was like E3's. It would have been more organic of course and would have given blending some actual implications if you choose to do so, rather than simply stand like a sore thumb between 4 NPCs.

Blend groups aside, Nassau, the proclaimed pirate haven could at least have one drunk man, or maybe a singing lady with some dancing men like the location and activities demo which had that. Just anything to give a pirate vibe to the place rather than just a barren beach with badly organised houses. But no, none of the Ubisoft-controlled demos even remotely resembled what we got with hands-on previews. Again, they're repeating AC3'a vile marketing campaign. This is why I prefer articles over demos. It would be really difficult for a dev to vocally describe things in an article which won't be in the game.

ACfan443
10-16-2013, 02:05 PM
Of course we didn't. Blending in would have been such a chore to get in and out of if it was like E3's. It would have been more organic of course and would have given blending some actual implications if you choose to do so, rather than simply stand like a sore thumb between 4 NPCs.

Blend groups aside, Nassau, the proclaimed pirate haven could at least have one drunk man, or maybe a singing lady with some dancing men like the location and activities demo which had that. Just anything to give a pirate vibe to the place rather than just a barren beach with badly organised houses. But no, none of the Ubisoft-controlled demos even remotely resembled what we got with hands-on previews. Again, they're repeating AC3'a vile marketing campaign. This is why I prefer articles over demos. It would be really difficult for a dev to vocally describe things in an article which won't be in the game.

Articles are equally bad, if not worse. Without visual reference, you begin to paint a picture in your head of what the game will look like based on a dev's carefully crafted, convincing and alluring description, and this is where expectations start running wild. An AC3 dev described in an article last year the mechanics of an evolving world; areas rapidly changing over time, lakes freezing over & opening new areas for traversal, guards slipping on the ice etc. With this, I constructed in my mind what I thought would be the ultimate open world, and the final product didn't live up to it at all. So yeah, blind hype comes in all forms and it's nigh impossible to avoid it. Unless of course you ignore evey piece of promotional content in existence.

Farlander1991
10-16-2013, 02:20 PM
An AC3 dev described in an article last year the mechanics of an evolving world; areas rapidly changing over time, lakes freezing over & opening new areas for traversal, guards slipping on the ice etc.

The thing is, btw, that Anvil Next engine can do and support all that (it's one of the improvements that they made in comparison to the previous Anvil engine... sure, there were some world changes in AC2-ACR, but not to a big extent), it's just that hasn't been implemented in AC3 properly (I suppose at the time of the interview they were at the stage of finalizing the technology and no complications were in sight). So there's actually a chance that they utilized those capabilities with Nassau.

AssassinHMS
10-16-2013, 02:36 PM
Articles are equally bad, if not worse. Without visual reference, you begin to paint a picture in your head of what the game will look like based on a dev's carefully crafted, convincing and alluring description, and this is where expectations start running wild. An AC3 dev described in an article last year the mechanics of an evolving world; areas rapidly changing over time, lakes freezing over & opening new areas for traversal, guards slipping on the ice etc. With this, I constructed in my mind what I thought would be the ultimate open world, and the final product didn't live up to it at all. So yeah, blind hype comes in all forms and it's nigh impossible to avoid it. Unless of course you ignore evey piece of promotional content in existence.

Nigh Impossible? Ahah.

All it takes is skepticism. However most choose "optimism" or worse...

This reminds me of the only thread I ever made, a thread that I would have never done before AC3 (because I was never tricked by Ubisoft like I was with AC3). I thought It would prevent blind hype and maybe even make people wait for the reviews. However all I got were angry posts and people bashing me for calling it a pirate game (which is what the devs later admited it to be).
I still remember what I said and, not surprisingly, most, turned out to be true.
However, like I said back then, AC4 will most likely be a good and fun game but it won't really improve the core mechanics and it probably won't be the assassin's creed game that older fans want.

Anyway it's not like Ubisoft will keep the same strategy (you know, treating AC like a tired franchise that needs action and hollywood tweaks to spice it up and that doesn't really need to evolve at its core in order to sell) after seeing all the pre-orders and money that they'll get with Black Flag.

SixKeys
10-16-2013, 02:38 PM
I don't know what everyone's complaining about. Nassau looks awesome. I love the Constantinople vibe. And I HOPE the civilian groups are back, the blending system in AC3 was just too unreliable. I did notice that the video I watched didn't have ambient music, though.

Rugterwyper32
10-16-2013, 03:35 PM
The thing is, btw, that Anvil Next engine can do and support all that (it's one of the improvements that they made in comparison to the previous Anvil engine... sure, there were some world changes in AC2-ACR, but not to a big extent), it's just that hasn't been implemented in AC3 properly (I suppose at the time of the interview they were at the stage of finalizing the technology and no complications were in sight). So there's actually a chance that they utilized those capabilities with Nassau.

Agreed. We know there were many things in AC3 that ended up being cut or not implemented because of time restraints and whatnot, and I can imagine this is one of those cases. Considering that at this point we're still seeing British soldiers and hangings and the such, I can imagine that for a few sequences we'll get to see Nassau growing, getting a few more tents and shacks and becoming more chaotic as time goes by.
As for the animations? Admittedly, I don't think we've seen a video that contains much in terms of blending since the E3 one, so that'll be about seeing what happens but considering all the blending animations you got to see in AC3 if you looked for all the spots to blend with civilians, I wouldn't be surprised if they're still there. But as of this video, Nassau still doesn't look like the pirate haven you'd think it is, considering what we've seen going on around there, so it makes sense it's not as chaotic as you'd expect it to. That's why I think the only gameplay we've seen of Nassau has been in this early sequence, so we can enjoy seeing how it changes with the events that happen each time.

AssassinHMS
10-16-2013, 04:00 PM
I don't know what everyone's complaining about. Nassau looks awesome.

I think they're talking about the pirate theme, the wine, the women, etc and also about the interactivity and social stealth improvements they saw in the E3 demo.

I love the Constantinople vibe. And I HOPE the civilian groups are back, the blending system in AC3 was just too unreliable. I did notice that the video I watched didn't have ambient music, though.

Unreliable and visually dumb. Social stealth should be about blending or loosing pursuers in big random crowds and not becoming magically invisible between two people (specially if you're a huge guy with a bow) or finding small groups of NPCs around every bloody corner.

Farlander1991
10-16-2013, 04:46 PM
not becoming magically invisible between two people

To be fair, that was part of the AC social stealth staple ever since AC1 :p (*cough* bench between two guys *cough* )

SixKeys
10-16-2013, 04:46 PM
I think they're talking about the pirate theme, the wine, the women, etc and also about the interactivity and social stealth improvements they saw in the E3 demo.

There were also people complaining that Nassau looked boring. From what I've seen, it reminds me of Constantinople in a good way, so I don't mind even if it is small. As for not being as full of life as the E3 demo, that much was obvious from the beginning. The game was never going to look as good as that demo. All those extra character interactions were just there to create a pirate-y atmosphere.

Unreliable and visually dumb. Social stealth should be about blending or loosing pursuers in big random crowds and not becoming magically invisible between two people (specially if you're a huge guy with a bow) or finding small groups of NPCs around every bloody corner.

That too. As unrealistic as it may be for people to cluster together like in AC2, at least it makes more sense for an assassin to blend in with five people rather than two.

SixKeys
10-16-2013, 04:49 PM
To be fair, that was part of the AC social stealth staple ever since AC1 :p (*cough* bench between two guys *cough* )

Benches kinda make more sense in that it's not the first place you would look (you'd expect a criminal to keep running, not sitting down to chill with some civilians). I would have been more okay with the 2-person blending in AC3 if the devs had delivered on the promise that Connor would be mimicking civilians' movements more often, but there were only two or three specific situations where he could do that.

AssassinHMS
10-16-2013, 05:02 PM
That too. As unrealistic as it may be for people to cluster together like in AC2, at least it makes more sense for an assassin to blend in with five people rather than two.

Agreed. Was social stealth improved in AC4?

SixKeys
10-16-2013, 05:07 PM
Agreed. Was social stealth improved in AC4?

Umm....I haven't played it yet? :p

Mr_Shade
10-16-2013, 06:46 PM
Some quick information from the team - since I can see a few points brought up in here.. which I thought I should try to address:

Some are saying the street of Nassau seem empty?

'The streets of Nassau were never going to be especially crowded… it was the city the pirates took over after it’d been sacked on numerous occasions. Consequently, it was always pretty sparsely populated.

These clips look like they are taken from Sequence 3, which is pretty early in Nassau’s development (as a pirate enclave, that is), so… again, not as many people wandering around.

If you want to see crowded streets, you’d go to Havana… and maybe Kingston.

Nassau would be the least populace of the three.'

The E3 mission - is based on a specific in game mission - and it will appear in the final game, though it maybe slightly different.

As you all may know, if you have been on the forums for a while - the E3 demos are not from the final game, so they are used to showcase expected gameplay - key word is 'expected' - sometimes things change, so you shouldn't take them as final.

Cornik22
10-16-2013, 06:51 PM
You are right. I should have taken into account that it was still under British control at the time. Thank you friend
It's true that it was officially british, but in reality it wasn't under british control. You see, there was a sub governor there by the name of Thomas Walker living with his family, but he had no real power to do anything. He was more a representative of the British crown in Nassau than a real governor, because there were NO British soldiers in Nassau at that time unlike you see in the gameplay. In fact, that's one of the reasons why Hornigold chose Nassau as their new pirate base, because it was unprotected and close to the most important commercial routes of the Caribbean. When Walker noticed the pirate presence was increasing in his island, he started sending letters to his allies because he needed help to fight them, but he was ignored, and... you already know what happened. I don't really care if there are some British in Nassau (it will be fun to kill them like in the video) as long as they disappear in the next sequence. The city will become a safe place for pirates in the next months, after all.

So yes, we should see a drastic change in Nassau's appearance in a short period of time. It wasn't until 1716, and specially 1717 when Nassau became a true pirate haven full of pirates, privateers, prostitutes, ... as you imagine it (kinda like Tortuga in Pirates of the Caribbean). We will have to wait and see.

The E3 demo wasn't set in Nassau, I think one of the devs confirmed it was just an island, and also mentioned that it was a historical event too
That's true, that wasn't Nassau. I think it was in some part of Cuba, if I remember well. Anyway, Ismail mentioned several times how that represented an historical event where Blackbeard was being chased by the British, but in fact, in September of 1717 Blackbeard had just met Stede Bonnet and was getting ready to sail with him in Nassau. So yeah, totally made up. Didn’t they say something about a 30 second rule and Wikipedia? I'm starting to get really concerned about the historical accuracy of this game :(

ACfan443
10-16-2013, 06:52 PM
The E3 mission - is based on a specific mission - and it may appear slightly differently in the final game.

Oh yeah, just like AC3's E3 demo?

:rolleyes:

Would it kill them to give a somewhat accurate representation of the game in demos? After all, what we expect to see in the game is down to what's shown to us.

ArabianFrost
10-16-2013, 07:10 PM
Some quick information from the team - since I can see a few points brought up in here.. which I thought I should try to address:

Some are saying the street of Nassau seem empty?

'The streets of Nassau were never going to be especially crowded… it was the city the pirates took over after it’d been sacked on numerous occasions. Consequently, it was always pretty sparsely populated.

These clips look like they are taken from Sequence 3, which is pretty early in Nassau’s development (as a pirate enclave, that is), so… again, not as many people wandering around.

If you want to see crowded streets, you’d go to Havana… and maybe Kingston.

Nassau would be the least populace of the three.'

The E3 mission - is based on a specific in game mission - and it will appear in the final game, though it maybe slightly different.

As you all may know, if you have been on the forums for a while - the E3 demos are not from the final game, so they are used to showcase expected gameplay - key word is 'expected' - sometimes things change, so you shouldn't take them as final.

Thanks to you and the dev team for answering. We appreciate them taking time to do so.

I understand where they are coming from, what with all it lacking population as it's just almost a settlement. However, it still saddens me that the strong atmosphere and the vibe of the E3 demo won't be in the most pirate city of them all. It certainly would have added a lot to the atmosphere, but if you have to shut something down, I guess you have to. As fans, we'd appreciate a better planned vision for the final product given to us. This is the 2nd time in a row we get an atmosphere and vibe for a location that were clearly exaggerated in comparison to what the final product has.

Assassin_M
10-16-2013, 07:16 PM
Oh yeah, just like AC3's E3 demo?

:rolleyes:

Would it kill them to give a somewhat accurate representation of the game in demos? After all, what we expect to see in the game is down to what's shown to us.
At least they're open about it this time :|

Mr_Shade
10-16-2013, 07:27 PM
Thanks to you and the dev team for answering. We appreciate them taking time to do so.

I understand where they are coming from, what with all it lacking population as it's just almost a settlement. However, it still saddens me that the strong atmosphere and the vibe of the E3 demo won't be in the most pirate city of them all. It certainly would have added a lot to the atmosphere, but if you have to shut something down, I guess you have to. As fans, we'd appreciate a better planned vision for the final product given to us. This is the 2nd time in a row we get an atmosphere and vibe for a location that were clearly exaggerated in comparison to what the final product has.

The E3 demo wasn't set in Nassau though, so how is that misleading unless someone said it was?

We also don't know events leading upto that demo - or the location?

Also - as they say - it's early for Nassau in those videos, so you may see more activity thoughout the game, so things may get busier?

I said the above - due to some thinking the E3 demo and Nassau are the same place - and Ubisoft have completely changed Nassau they have not.

Re complaints about the E3 demo - I personally have always tried to point out the following - it's sometimes ignored..- that any demo's shown are just an 'expected gameplay' - they sometimes alter missions and other things as the game develops.

The main point of those demos, is to show what the game will look and feel like to play in a VERY short space of time - the missions are sometimes taken from the game, but altered to make them flow better for a stage presentation. So while they may appear in the final game [and it's confirmed the E3 demo mission WILL] - it maybe slightly different, so objects may be moved, the time of day may alter etc etc

it's not to mislead - since it's very early code, things may have to be added or removed, however they are aware of the keen eyes of the fan base.

I and others have said you shouldn't judge the final game based on specifics in those demo missions.. I know many on here obese about the tiny details and try and figure out everything from those demos - which you're free to do of course!.

If they have to remove something major, due to tech issues, they do normally say so, however missions etc - are always something 'subject to change' due to story flow and other things they consider.

Just try and not think of those demo's as the final product - everything will be identical - doing so can leave you disappointed - as some were with AC3.

Hopefully no one will take offence at what I have said, it's just my view on the subject and NOT official..

ACfan443
10-16-2013, 07:41 PM
At least they're open about it this time :|

Months after the demo's release and people's expectations already built up is not exactly the best of times to be open, although admittedly it's slightly better than AC3's situation.

Also, this 'expected gameplay' of demos should be realistically close to the final game. I'm aware mission structure varies - that much was evident after AC2's demo. I'm referring more to the features/ environments showcased in said demos.

Wolfmeister1010
10-16-2013, 07:56 PM
Everyone seems to be brushing off the fact that the mods here are hinting us the situation of the city, and confirming my and a few others beliefs that Nassau will get busier as the game progresses due to increased pirate presence. If you hadnt noticed, the tents that litter the beach are not there in the gameplays. Maybe they, (as well as numerous other features) will not appear until a certain stage in the story. Maybe once the pirates take control, the fort will become a bustling place of drink and sport. At the time of the gameplay, Nassau was just a small british town. It has not reached the stage of "pirate haven" yet. I am sure that that nassau in the gameplay is not the final nassau model.

when you think about it, has ubisoft ever lied about the cities? Unless I am forgetting a specific instance, we have always gotten what we were told in the cities.

Mr_Shade
10-16-2013, 08:10 PM
Also, this 'expected gameplay' of demos should be realistically close to the final game. I'm aware mission structure varies - that much was evident after AC2's demo. I'm referring more to the features/ environments showcased in said demos.
And you may not have seen the area in the Demo?

That's what I am trying to get across - and apparently failing at - the Demo location is NOT Nassau..

the mission maybe different, but you are yet to see the location..

Assassin_M
10-16-2013, 08:18 PM

That's what I am trying to get across - and apparently failing at - the Demo location is NOT Nassau..

I think he's more referring to the fact that the Devs are saying that the E3 camp MAY not be like what we saw in the final game.

Wasn't it confirmed in July that it isn't Nassau?

Mr_Shade
10-16-2013, 08:22 PM
I think he's more referring to the fact that the Devs are saying that the E3 camp MAY not be like what we saw in the final game.

Wasn't it confirmed in July that it isn't Nassau?
Well I didn't say that, so maybe that's why I am confused I said the 'mission' - which I suppose be taken anyway you feel... or want..

Even though it's confirmed not to be Nassau - some still seem to be inferring it is.. which then snowballs..

Though I can see some will assume that means the whole demo location / context / mission is a lie...

Guess I will leave it there - the team have answered concerns over Nassau and tried to answer some over the mission in the demo.

I have passed on what they said, so upto you guys to either accept it or not.

Assassin_M
10-16-2013, 08:25 PM
Well I didn't say that, so maybe that's why I am confused I said the 'mission' - which I suppose be taken anyway you feel... or want..

Though I can see some will assume that means the whole demo.

Guess I will leave it there - the team have answered concerns over Nassau and tried to answer some over the mission in the demo.
I was confused a bit, yeah, since 'mission' may refer to the fact that this bustling activity in the camp only occurs during said mission, so yeah...sorry xP

Oh and btw, I didn't mean to downplay what you and the team did, I'm sure everyone here appreciates it.

Mr_Shade
10-16-2013, 08:33 PM
I was confused a bit, yeah, since 'mission' may refer to the fact that this bustling activity in the camp only occurs during said mission, so yeah...sorry xP

Oh and btw, I didn't mean to downplay what you and the team did, I'm sure everyone here appreciates it.

No offence taken - however seems some people are taking what I said the wrong way..

Mission - in the context I used - means the gameplay / story - linked to events which happen in the demo.. not the location.

They have not commented on the location being different.

But, I guess time will tell..

ACfan443
10-16-2013, 08:38 PM

I know it's not Nassau, look at my first post in this thread.

I'm saying features/environments should be accurate. If I have to be more specific, features - as in random events (a la AC3), environments - mood, liveliness, NPC behaviour, number of NPCs etc.

Mr_Shade
10-16-2013, 08:44 PM
I know it's not Nassau, look at my first post in this thread.

I'm saying features/environments should be accurate. If I have to be more specific, features - as in random events (a la AC3), environments - mood, liveliness, NPC behaviour, number of NPCs etc.

Guess we have to wait and see - however it turns out.

The very early demos are there, as I said, as a show case to show the intended gameplay / look of the game - this may change due to story or any number of reasons, sometimes a location fits better in a different place - or tech issues mean things are cut, which is why they always release a disclaimer with it - however lets hope it fits your idea of that location.

The game as a whole - should be agreeable i hope.

ArabianFrost
10-16-2013, 08:48 PM
No offence taken - however seems some people are taking what I said the wrong way..

Mission - in the context I used - means the gameplay / story - linked to events which happen in the demo.. not the location.

They have not commented on the location being different.

But, I guess time will tell..
My apologies if my words were unclear. I just assumed that blend groups and atmosphere would be something NOT constricted to ONE mission, but rather would be a feature extending to the populated cities not just Nassau. Atmosphere and ambiance are things that are almost ALWAYS assumed to be universal throughout any open-world game, not just AC, or at least at certain sequences of it (see Venice during the Carnivale for example. It gave off a Carnivale vibe to it. Let's hope Nassau has an equally pirate vibe to it long enough into the game). It's just a bit weird that the game would suddenly have 10× the NPC activity, a more lively atmosphere and different blend groups for one mission, then return back to what we see in the previews. Then again, you said it's what's "expected" so there's that to take into consideration. Not knowing what to believe is final and what is not (in terms of what you described as small details), would make it hard to get excited for an array of things, but by now, we should learn that it's better that way. In the future, we'll make sure to take the bigger picture into consideration of what to expect and get excited for.

Our sincerest gratitude to you and the team.

ACfan443
10-16-2013, 08:50 PM
Guess we have to wait and see - however it turns out.

The very early demos are there, as I said, as a show case to show the intended gameplay / look of the game - this may change due to story or any number of reasons, sometimes a location fits better in a different place - or tech issues mean things are cut, which is why they always release a disclaimer with it - however lets hope it fits your idea of that location.

Not my idea, I just want it to fit with what was presented to us. Anyway, I apologise for any misunderstanding over context.

SixKeys
10-16-2013, 08:50 PM
If there's anything Aliens: Colonial Marines has taught me, it's "never trust E3 demos".

ArabianFrost
10-16-2013, 08:54 PM
If there's anything Aliens: Colonial Marines has taught me, it's "never trust E3 demos".

At this point, there is no dev team in this world I can trust other than CDPRK, to be honest. They're the most consumer-oriented AAA devs out there. Indie devs are also cool trustworthy people.

ACfan443
10-16-2013, 09:15 PM
At this point, there is no dev team in this world I can trust other than CDPRK, to be honest. They're the most consumer-oriented AAA devs out there. Indie devs are also cool trustworthy people.

I wouldn't really call CDPR a triple A company, their budgets are a tiny fraction of a true triple A company. I'd say they're closer to indie devs than AAA corporate giants like EA/Ubisoft.

Megas_Doux
10-16-2013, 09:18 PM
I wish there was a way to keep the hood on all the time :(

Mr_Shade
10-16-2013, 09:21 PM
My apologies if my words were unclear. I just assumed that blend groups and atmosphere would be something NOT constricted to ONE mission, but rather would be a feature extending to the populated cities not just Nassau. Atmosphere and ambiance are things that are almost ALWAYS assumed to be universal throughout any open-world game, not just AC, or at least at certain sequences of it (see Venice during the Carnivale for example. It gave off a Carnivale vibe to it. Let's hope Nassau has an equally pirate vibe to it long enough into the game). It's just a bit weird that the game would suddenly have 10× the NPC activity, a more lively atmosphere and different blend groups for one mission, then return back to what we see in the previews. Then again, you said it's what's "expected" so there's that to take into consideration. Not knowing what to believe is final and what is not (in terms of what you described as small details), would make it hard to get excited for an array of things, but by now, we should learn that it's better that way. In the future, we'll make sure to take the bigger picture into consideration of what to expect and get excited for.

Our sincerest gratitude to you and the team.No one said the groups, atmosphere and large amounts of NPCs are just for one mission?

As I have said - the E3 demo didn't show Nassau..so you shouldn't try to fit that atmosphere from E3 in another location - [it could have been a pirate stronghold etc] - since as always - the different locations should have different feelings?

Nassau has the smallest populace - of the cities, according to the team.
In my mind, to be realistic, it will be more empty and as such should be more 'spread out' in terms of NPCs and have smaller groups?

The other cities - will be more populated and may contain the bigger groups and NPCs you wish, however we are yet to see them - so no one can judge either way?

Some gameplay differences may still happen - since the E3 demo was early code, so its sometimes not going to alwaysbe the same.. no matter how much you and I would like it to be - this is why the team try and get as many close to final code previews out close to release, so people can see any changes.

If your after a lively busy city - Nassau may not be the one.. it may have some areas which are more busy and full of atmosphere, but it's not been seen any other way - as far as I am aware [part from concept artwork etc]?

xboxauditore
10-16-2013, 09:23 PM
I wish there was a way to keep the hood on all the time :(

Same here, I wish Edward would only take it off during Pirate meetings and when he is on the Jackdaw.

ArabianFrost
10-16-2013, 09:24 PM
I wouldn't really call CDPR a triple A company, their budgets are a tiny fraction of a true triple A company. I'd say they're closer to indie devs than AAA corporate giants like EA/Ubisoft.

It's really amazing how much of a role dedication and focus can play into development of a game. They may not be on the same budget as your usual AAA title, but they sure as hell can put most AAA titles to shame. Technically speaking though, they're still purely a AAA dev. They're not self-published, so yeah. Not indie.

EllJim
10-16-2013, 09:24 PM
one thing that amazes me is the number of these videos where they ram land.... ships for blue wet thing.. feet for dry sand thing.. lol

Mr_Shade
10-16-2013, 09:33 PM
one thing that amazes me is the number of these videos where they ram land.... Ships for blue wet thing.. Feet for dry sand thing.. Lol
lol

luckyto
10-16-2013, 09:45 PM
Nassau looks great to me.

Cornik22
10-16-2013, 10:18 PM
Everyone seems to be brushing off the fact that the mods here are hinting us the situation of the city, and confirming my and a few others beliefs that Nassau will get busier as the game progresses due to increased pirate presence. If you hadnt noticed, the tents that litter the beach are not there in the gameplays. Maybe they, (as well as numerous other features) will not appear until a certain stage in the story. Maybe once the pirates take control, the fort will become a bustling place of drink and sport. At the time of the gameplay, Nassau was just a small british town. It has not reached the stage of "pirate haven" yet. I am sure that that nassau in the gameplay is not the final nassau model.
I agree with you 100%, and that should be the case

Which doesn't explain why there are british troops in Nassau in 1715, tough

Though I can see some will assume that means the whole demo location / context / mission is a lie...
They lied when they said it was an historical event, and I knew it wasn't

Nassau has the smallest populace - of the cities, according to the team. In my mind, to be realistic, it will be more empty and as such should be more 'spread out' in terms of NPCs and have smaller groups?
It should be "more empty" in 1715. Not so much in the next 2 years, when hundreds of prostitutes, pirates, privateers, maroons and arm dealers moved to the small city of Nassau, quickly overcrowding it with the worst of the worst. The situation was so bad, that governor Thomas Walker and his family had to flee the island fearing they would kill them.

ACfan443
10-16-2013, 10:23 PM
It's really amazing how much of a role dedication and focus can play into development of a game. They may not be on the same budget as your usual AAA title, but they sure as hell can put most AAA titles to shame.

So true,the level of quality achieved with such small budgets and dev teams is truly remarkable. I'm very excited for W3.

Technically speaking though, they're still purely a AAA dev. They're not self-published, so yeah. Not indie.

Not indie but not AAA either. Triple A titles are games backed by colossal budgets covering development and huge marketing campaigns (which CDPR are not known for), witcher 2's development costs were probably less than half the amount AC3 spent on advertising.
It's only more recent that they're leaning towards the questionable AAA methods of larger budgets and prioritising marketing over development.

Jexx21
10-16-2013, 10:33 PM
you guys are getting all upity about a freaking game.

geeze

I am always optimistic for games and if they don't turn out the way I wish they did I don't even really care that much and I still love them.

AC3 disappointed me, yes, but I still love it as a game. I never felt true disappointment, and this is probably because of one reason: It's just a game.

Go back to worrying about real life folks. Go help out some hungry people.

Rugterwyper32
10-16-2013, 10:36 PM
Which doesn't explain why there are british troops in Nassau in 1715, tough

I'm actually willing to give them some leeway here simply for pure gameplay purposes, making it inaccurate simply for the sake of having that as a gameplay element. I think having a city with no guards and not much going on wouldn't be that interesting, don't you think? So yeah, even though it's not accurate, I can accept it in this one instance for the sake of having some gameplay going on.

They lied when they said it was an historical event, and I knew it wasn't

That much is true. I can see them basing it on this hunt for Blackbeard, though:
"Hume reinforced his crew with musket-armed soldiers and joined up with HMS Seaford to track the two ships, to no avail, though they discerned that the two ships had sunk a French vessel off St Christopher Island, and reported also that they had last been seen "gone down the North side of Hispaniola". Although no confirmation exists that these two ships were controlled by Teach and Bonnet, author Angus Konstam believes it very likely they were."
But it's unconfirmed, so there's that. Just play around with it and maybe you have something.

It should be "more empty" in 1715. Not so much in the next 2 years, when hundreds of prostitutes, pirates, privateers, maroons and arm dealers moved to the small city of Nassau, quickly overcrowding it with the worst of the worst. The situation was so bad, that governor Thomas Walker and his family had to flee the island fearing they would kill them.

Agreed. Again, I can see why they're going with how it looked in here for gameplay but it definitely should get more lively and interesting for a few sequences at least. And after certain event more orderly and with a decent amount of executions going on and the such.

Cornik22
10-17-2013, 01:10 AM
[/URL] (http://forums.ubi.com/member.php/1356842-Rugterwyper32) [U]Rugterwyper32 , I understand your ideas but I'm afraid I can't share your opinion. Nassau should be the only place in the game where you feel safe, because... well.. it's a pirate haven after all! It should be like the Homestead in Assassins Creed III. If you want danger and adventure, then just leave Nassau and voila! there you have it. Not to mention that by now most people know what happened in 1718, right? So that shouldn’t be that big of a problem. Isn't it a great idea to have one place where you feel comfortable surrounded by pirate fellows, parties and chicks, only to loose it at some point, making you feel vulnerable for the rest of the game?

About the E3 demo, I thought it was pretty good the way it was, just don't try to sell it to me as a "real historical event" when it's not. That's all.

And yeah, I also like the idea of Nassau starting as a mid-boring location only to quickly become this awesome crazy place full of drunken pirates, parties on the beach and prostitutes dancing everywhere. Pretty much like in the E3 demo, but the whole city :D

Megas_Doux
10-17-2013, 01:19 AM
After the recent videos, my hype levels went down......

LoyalACFan
10-17-2013, 03:55 AM
After the recent videos, my hype levels went down......

May I ask why? I was actually impressed, aside from that German dude who played like an 80-year-old grandma.

Megas_Doux
10-17-2013, 05:20 AM
It is "the hood thing". Do not know why such minutiae is recently bothering me that much though =/

Because, with its flaws, it has background music, La habana looks gorgeous, there seems to be more things to do, the naval combat is improved, the Mayan side of it might bring some of the mystery back, etc etc.

But in the end, the lack of it, really breaks my immersion. I sincerely hope there is a cheat/bug or something that allows yo have it "on" all the time or at least the majority of it, contrary to the most recent videos.

pacmanate
10-17-2013, 05:41 AM
I saw one previewer get drunk.

after 1 drink the screen goes blurry, thus showing Edward is a lightweight. Not sure about if you take 2 or more

I-Like-Pie45
10-17-2013, 06:02 AM
pft

even Jack Marston takes more shots than one before he's wasted

LoyalACFan
10-17-2013, 07:46 AM
pft

even Jack Marston takes more shots than one before he's wasted

But he's got that gigantic head that offsets his BAC so much that he needs a damn bottle of vodka before he's over the legal limit.

AssassinHMS
10-17-2013, 09:48 AM
It is "the hood thing". Do not know why such minutiae is recently bothering me that much though =/

Because, with its flaws, it has background music, La habana looks gorgeous, there seems to be more things to do, the naval combat is improved, the Mayan side of it might bring some of the mystery back, etc etc.

But in the end, the lack of it, really breaks my immersion. I sincerely hope there is a cheat/bug or something that allows yo have it "on" all the time or at least the majority of it, contrary to the most recent videos.

I share your problem. When I play AC I expect to "be" a dark hooded figure and not some pirate that keeps taking the hood off. Then again that has to do with my gripe with this game. Because it's just a pirate game with assassin elements and not an Assassin's Creed game that pushes stealth and combat to new heights and makes the player feel like an assassin who needs to be a blade in the crowd. I also hate the blowpipe in Edward's back and (for some reason) I expect the game to force the player to buy it during some sequence.
I want to be forced to push stealth to the limit in order to get close enough to the target, I want personal, up-close assassinations but, what I don't want is to climb some roof and shoot some powder barrels to blow up the target or to throw a dart and finish the mission without feeling any tension at all. Assassin's Creed should be about completing difficult assassinations that require time to plan, thinking to execute them, minutiae to find small details (like a secret door that reveals a shortcut to the target's location or a chandelier that can be used to kill some guards while remaining hidden) and that require some replays in order to do them completely unoticed. However this can only be achieved if the devs focus on assassinations, on the real assassin's creed stuff and not in an overwhelming world full of islands with animals to hunt, underwater gameplay and naval.