PDA

View Full Version : Which AC game had the best combat system?

smballer23
10-08-2013, 07:26 PM
Out of all the AC titles released, which one do you think had the best combat system?

I would think that it is AC1 or AC2. This is because Brotherhood was too easy, and all you had to do was Counterattack with the Hidden Blade or use Arrow Storm. Same with Revelations. I think the AC3 combat was kid of clunky but not too bad..

What do you guys think? I just don't think they should make combat that easy..

Jexx21
10-08-2013, 07:29 PM
Ac3

Shahkulu101
10-08-2013, 07:30 PM
Ac3, 100%.

STDlyMcStudpants
10-08-2013, 07:34 PM
ACR was the most fun to me...and therefor the best IMO.
I don't play games for difficulty, I play them for fun.
In my true honest opinion AC3 was the hardest in terms of combat..it was the easiest game to die in during heated combat and took the most technique switching and it was constant...you couldn't just button mash and block like previous games.
AC 1 and AC2 weren't super easy but they weren't hard either once you understood the controls..it was pretty easy to never die lol even against the Templar Knights...so cant really sympathize with you there...
ACB was just boringly easy.
to me ACR was the 2nd most difficult in terms of combat, but again I just loved taking an axe from the big guys and just going to town doing 1 hit kills and doing chain kills like 15 guys in a row with an axe one after another..i loved it lol

ladyleonhart
10-08-2013, 07:59 PM
In my opinion, ACIII had the best combat. :D

As for combat being easy, I don't believe that will be a problem with ACIV. ;)

pirate1802
10-08-2013, 08:00 PM
Ac3.

Farlander1991
10-08-2013, 08:03 PM
AC1* and AC3.

*AC1 of course gets a big no-no because of the counter attack dominant-strategy, but other than that it's pretty awesome.

PS. I also would like to note that so far I haven't been fully satisfied with any of the AC combat systems.

ArabianFrost
10-08-2013, 08:03 PM
AC1 had promising combat, but it could have used more polished to feel smoother, it's still the best combat unique to AC.

If you're going to unashamedly copy Arkham City, at least do it right.

Wolfmeister1010
10-08-2013, 08:07 PM
While it has its faults, and people really like to complain about it, Ac3 definitely had the best combat system. AC4 seems to be taking the great core of it and fixing all the bad parts, like big counter windows and timid enemies

Stealth Gamer92
10-08-2013, 08:20 PM
AC2 was a pain getting the timing right for hidden blade counters, but the chalenge made me enjoy the combat that much more. So AC2 for me.

phoenix-force411
10-08-2013, 08:31 PM
For me, AC1. Difficult and fun... AC3's was fine, but I hate having to need a prompt to perform counters or human shield. AC2's was the worst.

TheDanteEX
10-08-2013, 08:34 PM
I don't understand. To me, AC1 and AC2's combat was largely the same with a few differences. Such as archetypes, which actually made some enemies more difficult, taunting, different grabbing, and the quickstep. The counter windows were just about the same by my eyes. Can somebody lay down a list of differences?

Edit: Just to be clear, I prefer AC1's enemy type more than AC2's. Though AC3 is still the freshest so that may fool me into thinking it's the best.

adventurewomen
10-08-2013, 08:44 PM
AC3 & Brotherhood.

LoyalACFan
10-08-2013, 08:46 PM
AC3's was probably the most functional, but the AI kinda ruined it.

ACfan443
10-08-2013, 08:54 PM
AC1's. The brutal kill animations and sound effects were incredibly satisfying, and it also looked the most 'realistic'.

LoyalACFan
10-08-2013, 09:05 PM
AC1's. The brutal kill animations and sound effects were incredibly satisfying, and it also looked the most 'realistic'.

I do miss AC1's sound effects. Especially the screams.

That sounds weird and sadistic, but it is kinda strange that the enemies just silently take a tomahawk to the face now.

lothario-da-be
10-08-2013, 09:05 PM
Can't realy choose between AC1,ACB and AC3. They all feel very different to me.

phoenix-force411
10-08-2013, 09:06 PM
I don't understand. To me, AC1 and AC2's combat was largely the same with a few differences. Such as archetypes, which actually made some enemies more difficult, taunting, different grabbing, and the quickstep. The counter windows were just about the same by my eyes. Can somebody lay down a list of differences?

In AC1:
-Counter Grab
-Counter Kill
-Counter dodge
-Guard Break
-Heavy Attack
-Normal Attack
-Grab
-Forward step(Irrelevant until Guard Break is unlocked)
-Timing window for counters need to be almost perfect(Hidden Blade needs to be perfect(if missed or too late, it leaves you vulnerable), and dagger counters have a smaller counter window than the sword).
-Combo Kill(Executed when enemies are weak enough to be combo killed. Exceuted by pressing square as your sword makes contact with the enemies).
-Fist Combat

Enemies:
-Counter dodge
-Counter kill(Can't actually finish you off but you take damage).
-Heavy Attack
-Normal Attack(Enemies chain attacks)
-Grab
-Guard Break
-Counter Grab
-Forward step

ACII:
-Counter Kill
-Counter dodge
-Guard Break(Only with Axes, and Spears only trip)
-Heavy Attack(Only with Axes, and Spears only trip)
-Normal Attack
-Side step(Faster version of counter dodge, but leaves you vulnerable if timing is not right because high profile button cannot be held)
-Timing window for Swords(and Blunt weapons) and Daggers are extended, but Hidden Blade window is still the same, but not as risky as AC1's since you can guard if you are too late.
-Combo kill(Must be chained by pressing attack after every time your sword makes contact with the enemies weapon to execute(does not apply to Brutes and Spear men), although, if you hit an enemy with an attack and press the attack button as your weapon makes contact with their body, you can execute a combo kill).
-Fist Combat(100x better than AC1's)
-Fist Counter
-Counter Disarm
-Finishers(Only if enemy is not in combat stance, or does not have a weapon in hand).

Enemies:
-Counter dodge
-Counter kill(Can't actually finish you off, and you don't take damage)
-Heavy Attack(Only Brutes and Spear men do it)
-Normal Attack(Enemies do chain attack)
-Guard Break(Only Brutes and Spear men)
-Side step(Not for dodging, but they hardly ever use it)
-Fist Combat
-Fist Counter

ACfan443
10-08-2013, 09:24 PM
I do miss AC1's sound effects. Especially the screams.

That sounds weird and sadistic, but it is kinda strange that the enemies just silently take a tomahawk to the face now.

Not weird or sadistic at all, the screams were a nice touch. My favourite sound effect and animation was the brutal final blow of the sword, followed by the fine spray of deep red blood. So awesome.

Now it sounds a little sadistic..

luckyto
10-08-2013, 09:29 PM
AC1
AC3
AC2

.... way down
ACB
ACR

The only downside to AC1's combat was that people crutched on the turtle because the system prevented multiple enemies from attacking at once. But it is - by far - the least predictable, most engaging, most flexible, most brutal, and most satisfying system if played aggressively. Every fight is different because all enemies' are capable of any move, albeit with different skill level - and the player could react, attack or approach each foe in a variety of ways (Hard, Soft attacks, Knives, Dodge, Grab, Counter, Combo). This recipe created variety and flexibility. Plus, enemy patrols consistently respawned and so small fights could easily turn into epic brawls... each one different than the first. The resulting system has depth. To the novice, they can survive with bare tools. To the master, you can chain successive kills together in spectacular display using everything in your arsenal.

Second is AC3's, because it seems to offer the player the most opportunities to react differently. It is still trapped by archetypes - which has been a plague of the combat since AC2 --- but AC3 goes the farthest in breaking the monotony that archetypes create. And while combat does still get repetitive, there are moments of spontaneity where a fight goes in a totally new direction or you can push the fight in a new direction based on your own actions (or really, you have the ability to make actions to change the flow ... ie, you don't always have to kill a Brute one certain exact way.) On the plus, I feel like the Recruits - while not necessary - are a lot more fun to use and seem to be well-balanced against the AI in terms of skill. AC3 has a "flow" that is balanced.

Both systems lack medicine. And in both systems, careless mistakes can lead to you fleeing for your life ... which is fun.

AC3 is primarily lacking because archetypes still are a problem, albeit, diminished greatly from predecessors. Two, it lacks the up-close camera angles and brutal sounds that made AC1 feel so gritty.

Jexx21
10-08-2013, 09:31 PM
AC3
AC1
ACB
ACR
AC2

for me...

shobhit7777777
10-08-2013, 09:37 PM
AC4 obviously

Jexx21
10-08-2013, 09:41 PM
yes ac4

Kit572
10-08-2013, 11:01 PM
AC3. I however like the hidden blade combat of AC1 and AC2 more.

STDlyMcStudpants
10-08-2013, 11:11 PM
AC3. I however like the hidden blade combat of AC1 and AC2 more.

Lol in AC 2 and AC B the hidden blade was all I ever used.

ACHILLES4713
10-08-2013, 11:11 PM
So far I like AC3's combat the best, with AC1's combat being a close second. Which, I find a bit hilarious in my mind considering the massive differences between the two types of combat systems!

Kit572
10-08-2013, 11:15 PM
Lol in AC 2 and AC B the hidden blade was all I ever used.

Agreed. Hell, the hidden blade is all I have ever used throughout the series (Besides AC3 where I used bare hands for the majority of it because I wanted to feel like Jason Bourne).

SixKeys
10-08-2013, 11:16 PM
AC1's felt the most realistic, but ACB's was the most fun.

Kit572
10-08-2013, 11:19 PM
AC1's felt the most realistic, but ACB's was the most fun.

Agreed.

luckyto
10-08-2013, 11:21 PM
And the easiest. Too too easy.

So far I like AC3's combat the best, with AC1's combat being a close second. Which, I find a bit hilarious in my mind considering the massive differences between the two types of combat systems!

They are alike in two key ways: no medicine. And player has flexibility in response. Meaning I don't have to tack a Brute one specific way, over and over, again - but I can mix up my attack strategy based on the situation. AC2, ACB, and ACR all handicapped the player into one set move or counter for each type of guard. While AC3 has archetypes, you are given just enough freedom to try different attacks in the right situation and switch up your attack pattern. And AC1 was totally open.

SixKeys
10-08-2013, 11:25 PM
To be honest, I don't even remember AC3 having special moves for each archetype. I'm sure it did, but the fact is I just button-mashed my way through every single fight (I can't be ar$ed to learn to fight elegantly). So any changes in AC3 are only superficial.

STDlyMcStudpants
10-08-2013, 11:26 PM
Agreed. Hell, the hidden blade is all I have ever used throughout the series (Besides AC3 where I used bare hands for the majority of it because I wanted to feel like Jason Bourne).

I cant really remember what I did for AC 1 I didnt complete that game in a single sitting..it took me 6 months to finish lol so it was off and on...but ACR was all Battle Axe (5 star everything) and AC3 was all saw toothed sword :D (I paid $10 for that sword..better believe im using it the whole time) :D

STDlyMcStudpants
10-08-2013, 11:28 PM
To be honest, I don't even remember AC3 having special moves for each archetype. I'm sure it did, but the fact is I just button-mashed my way through every single fight (I can't be ar$ed to learn to fight elegantly). So any changes in AC3 are only superficial.

Oh they did and were annoying...i couldnt remember what i had to do for the celtic guy with the kilt or general A**hole with the sword so id just run to a tall building or tree and air assassinate them :D

SixKeys
10-08-2013, 11:28 PM
I only ever use a sword or short blade/knife, with every assassin. It just feels right. It was annoying how in AC3 the game would insist on switching to tomahawk at the beginning of every mission.

Kit572
10-08-2013, 11:29 PM
I cant really remember what I did for AC 1 I didnt complete that game in a single sitting..it took me 6 months to finish lol so it was off and on...but ACR was all Battle Axe (5 star everything) and AC3 was all saw toothed sword :D (I paid $10 for that sword..better believe im using it the whole time) :D

Yeah, took me a while to finish AC1 myself because I had difficulty tracking down information to help me in my assassinations (Finding protesters to interrogate, pickpocket minigames, etc.).

SixKeys
10-08-2013, 11:30 PM
Oh they did and were annoying...i couldnt remember what i had to do for the celtic guy with the kilt or general A**hole with the sword so id just run to a tall building or tree and air assassinate them :D

Easy....button-mash and Connor will automatically roll out of the way. The only one that I had trouble with were the Jaegers, so I just one-shotted them with the rope dart.

STDlyMcStudpants
10-08-2013, 11:32 PM
Yeah, took me a while to finish AC1 myself because I had difficulty tracking down information to help me in my assassinations (Finding protesters to interrogate, pickpocket minigames, etc.).

I Couldn't figure out that I had to find a viewpoint to continue the story...
Id go to the guy in the hide out and hed be like go collect info...and id run around..turn on eagle vision and the only people that glowed were guys in hoods and i had no idea what to do...came back months later still coundt figure it out and finally just went to youtube..and behold..follow the blue wall unti you see a view point to climb -_-
That game was horrible with explaining itself :D

Kit572
10-08-2013, 11:34 PM
I Couldn't figure out that I had to find a viewpoint to continue the story...
Id go to the guy in the hide out and hed be like go collect info...and id run around..turn on eagle vision and the only people that glowed were guys in hoods and i had no idea what to do...came back months later still coundt figure it out and finally just went to youtube..and behold..follow the blue wall unti you see a view point to climb -_-
That game was horrible with explaining itself :D

Heh, I can relate.

When it comes to walkthroughs, I love youtube.

RatonhnhakeFan
10-08-2013, 11:36 PM
Easily AC3.

ACHILLES4713
10-08-2013, 11:41 PM
And the easiest. Too too easy.

They are alike in two key ways: no medicine. And player has flexibility in response. Meaning I don't have to tack a Brute one specific way, over and over, again - but I can mix up my attack strategy based on the situation. AC2, ACB, and ACR all handicapped the player into one set move or counter for each type of guard. While AC3 has archetypes, you are given just enough freedom to try different attacks in the right situation and switch up your attack pattern. And AC1 was totally open.

Yeah they really made a good decision in getting rid of medicine. I think the next step in getting the combat back to a more AC1 style system (while still having chain-kills) is having the enemies all have the same abilities as the player character. Even the grunt type guards. The AC3 dev team went in the right direction with having some of the archetypes being able to block/counter you, but I still feel like the combat was geared towards making the player feel like a super death machine! Granted, that effect was in AC1 as well once a player mastered the controls, but you can still get your *** handed to you if you're not careful. Even today, when playing through AC1 about once a year, I sometimes die; but with AC3, that happens less frequently. I don't know, I'm not entirely sure how they can balance the whole, "Make the player feel like a badass!" while also making the combat robust with fleshed out move-sets, and also have non arbitrary difficulty. But hopefully Ubisoft will nail it down.

shobhit7777777
10-08-2013, 11:43 PM
I only ever use a sword or short blade/knife, with every assassin. It just feels right. It was annoying how in AC3 the game would insist on switching to tomahawk at the beginning of every mission.

I used to do something similar.

I would fight the way I perceived each Assassin in every game

In AC1, I would stick to the Sword and the Short Blade using counters and then if the numbers went above 4-5....I'd run. I suited my perception of Altair. He was a no nonsense Assassin focused on the task. He would draw his blade when in combat but prefer to ditch it and run in order to get on with the mission

In AC2, I used everything with an emphasis on disarms. It was young Ezio fighting brash and dirty. Hit hard and fast. I'd usually be able to mop up most resistance but when the heavies showed up I made it a point to scamper...feeling thats what Ezio would've done

In ACB, I tried to use the gun+blade combo with an emphasis on short blades. Ezio was at his peak now...and the fighting style suited him. I'd slaughter all opposition and rarely ran away

In ACR, I played as Batman. I used NOTHING but the dual blades and mixed a LOT of gadgets and bombs. The idea was to keep everything short, sharp and efficient. Mostly I would drop smoke bombs and then carve my way through. Ezio was an old vet in ACR and the fighting style reflected this. I used my recruits more frequently. I would initiate combat with bombs and attack the survivors. Ezio was old, mean and efficient...he didn't have much time or energy to waste.
I also ran away a LOT. More than 5 guys? Run. I would then drop bombs and wait for the ones chasing me to get the good news. It was all about clever and cunning combat.

All in all....ACR. I loved the new moves and counters and the gadget combos.

Jexx21
10-08-2013, 11:47 PM
What did you do in Ac3 Shobhit?

I never used swords (I made sure that that slot wasn't even filled with anything, I bought an axe, put it in some guards head, never picked it up or any sword up, no sword).

I also didn't use poison darts or tripwire mines or smoke bombs since they were never actually introduced in the story.

Hidden blades, Tomahawk, Bow, Pistols, Ropedarts

shobhit7777777
10-08-2013, 11:49 PM
What did you do in Ac3 Shobhit?

I never used swords (I made sure that that slot wasn't even filled with anything, I bought an axe, put it in some guards head, never picked it up or any sword up, no sword).

I also didn't use poison darts or tripwire mines or smoke bombs since they were never actually introduced in the story.

Hidden blades, Tomahawk, Bow, Pistols, Ropedarts

**** AC3

Tomahawks - Sprint+twirl+slaughter

luckyto
10-09-2013, 12:04 AM
In AC3, you could counter roll, or simply counter, or you could try a quick base attack, or go for the legs and then attack on ANY GUARD given the right moment. For the most part, counter plus grab or kick would hurt just about anyone - but you could manage some base attacks or other moves without a counter given the right opportunity (on everybody but the Jagers.) For AC2, ACB, ACR: Brutes (open hand or blade counter, or kick-attack), Spears (open hand counter, or kick attack), Agiles (grab-attack, or counter-attack), basic guards (combo or any method). Each archetype had very specific moves for which only a certain combination was effective. It becomes: Rinse, repeat. Rinse repeat.

In AC3, the player could at least perform a basic attack on any guard and MIGHT land it. You might get a grab, or might not. AC3 mixed it up pretty well and widened the gaps where you could attack archetypes with basic moves (without them countering that move.) That allows you to mix up your attack. It also made chaining more difficult and requiring more thought. The result is a more fluid and more flexible system.... versus one that is too easy or too restrictive.

Anybody can button-mash in any game, just as you could just turtle in AC1. AC3 and AC1 give you a little room to manipulate the system and pull off different things based on the situation. In my mind, depth doesn't mean hard. Depth means a system that is quick to learn (button mash/turtle will keep you alive) but challenging to master (player is Jason Bourne, master of the encounter.) That's the beauty of the Batman system. Or God of War. Anyone can make it through those games simply mashing buttons. But that's not nearly as much fun as actually knowing what you are doing and mastering it. Seeing an enemy move one way, and pulling just the right move to set them up for just the right follow-up, to position yourself just of reach of one enemy and in perfect striking distance of the next --- all the while - looking completely badass while doing it. A good system allows for dumb (but ugly) button mashing AND intelligent button mashing that yields graceful and wicked results.

AC3 did it. AC1 did it. And ACIV better freakin do it.
----

shobbit - Tomahawk plus sprint-twirl for the win!

Megas_Doux
10-09-2013, 01:06 AM
ACI and ACIII

Gi1t
10-09-2013, 01:44 AM
ACR was the most fun to me...and therefor the best IMO.
I don't play games for difficulty, I play them for fun.

For me, those two are usually one and the same. :) But it's not important to me that I barely survive or anything like that. I have no problem with opponents not doing a ton of damage. What I want is an opponent(s) that makes it feel like a fight rather than a minigame. The distinction I would draw is that good enemies feel like they're able to land a hit because of their own skill, whereas bad enemies never land a hit unless I make a mistake. In other words, a good enemy will do something that's actually pretty impressive and you have to look for a way to get around that, where a lame enemy is really simple to take down and the only way you take hits is when you do something like miss a counter. I think speed is one of the first things to consider in making a good enemy. I don't care for these enemies that take three seconds to attack. It makes them look really really incompetent next to the main character's much quicker response time. It doesn't have to be blindingly fast, it just needs to look like they're putting some energy into the attack at some point.

Really good enemies are the foundation of a good combat system because if all you've got are the same pathetic dummies, all those cool moves your character has get old fast. You need a variety of well-designed enemies to keep things interesting, but it tends to be one of the first things games overlook. Having a few goombas early in the game to show you the ropes is fine and all, but later, you really need to find a way to turn up the heat. :D

Assassin_M
10-09-2013, 03:28 AM
AC I
ACB
AC III
ACR
AC II

because I don't feel like making a big *** post this night

LoyalACFan
10-09-2013, 03:46 AM
AC I
ACB
AC III
ACR
AC II

because I don't feel like making a big *** post this night

I thought you hated ACB combat since it's literally impossible to die?

Assassin_M
10-09-2013, 03:57 AM
I thought you hated ACB combat since it's literally impossible to die?
That has nothing to do with the combat itself, rather the dumb enemy AI and stupid health system

roostersrule2
10-09-2013, 07:32 AM
ACfree

scooper121s
10-09-2013, 07:38 AM
AC3, because it felt the most fluent and felt like a deadly tango (if you play it right) plus isn't it always fun to get that double counter :D

phoenix-force411
10-09-2013, 08:00 AM
AC3, because it felt the most fluent and felt like a deadly tango (if you play it right) plus isn't it always fun to get that double counter :D

Combat is great, but being unable to do anything special unless a prompt is shown really dumbs things down. Sometimes, there is no prompt to counter an incoming attack or shot, and then you take a free hit. It has gotten me into more trouble than it has helped me. It's fluid, but it has more flaws than the previous combat system. And Connor cannot possibly counter all of those attacks without eventually dodging, but there is no dodging button or action...

Sushiglutton
10-09-2013, 05:01 PM
AC3
AC1
ACB
ACR
AC2

for me...

My list exactly!

Mr_Shade
10-09-2013, 05:05 PM
I'm gonna say.. ACIV ;)

Sushiglutton
10-09-2013, 05:09 PM
I'm gonna say.. ACIV ;)

Since it's basically the AC3's combat with one year of extra polish and added features, I'm gonna say you are probably right :)!

Bastiaen
10-09-2013, 05:37 PM
My Ranking:
#1 AC3, fast paced, fun, with some challenge
#2 AC1, as long as you play offensively, this is a blast. For the ultimate challenge, use hidden blades only.
#3 ACB, No challenge, but oh so much fun. Some days this is my favorite.
#4 ACR, More challenge than AC3, but gunners were frustrating and Jannissaries were sometimes fun, but sometimes frustrating because they break the rules over and over.
#5 AC2, honestly, combat was this game's weakness. Boring, slow, and easy. Combos no longer required timing, and were no longer very satisfying as a result. Plus special moves were pointless. Does anyone honestly use the pistol to get people to flee? It inevitably gets you hit, and just gets rid of one guy. You could just, you know, shoot him.
#6 ACL (Ironic, since it has the same system as AC3, except it didn't work very well. Counters are often glitchy and frequently don't work. I look forward to the console port when everything will actually work. It felt like a prototype).

On an unrelated note, I don't get why everybody is criticizing Ryse Son of Rome so much, since in looks exactly like Batman Arkham with Roman hardware.

STDlyMcStudpants
10-09-2013, 07:08 PM
My Ranking:
#4 ACR, More challenge than AC3, but gunners were frustrating and Jannissaries were sometimes fun, but sometimes frustrating because they break the rules over and over.
I wish I had a gameplay recorder for my ps3 to just go around destroying everyone in ACR
I spent so much time in that game after i beat it's story :D
It's one of the most alive AC's ever
I thought everyone was always fun to fight with lol

T.Guywood
10-09-2013, 07:20 PM
I like AC1 and ACB and ACR equally, but for different reasons. In AC1 it felt like you were a highly trained assassin, that if backed in to a corner, was capable of taking on several enemies at a time. but would opt for an easy escape if given the chance. In ACB and ACR and partly AC3 it just felt you were an immortal warrior god sent from Valhalla to kick some major ***, capable of taking on entire armies.

Both of them equally badass.

pacmanate
10-09-2013, 07:32 PM
AC3's combat system. I am just glad the tomahawk is gone, it kinda lost its novelty for me, not sure why.

luckyto
10-09-2013, 07:47 PM
AC3's combat system. I am just glad the tomahawk is gone, it kinda lost its novelty for me, not sure why.
perhaps all the dead bodies have something to do with it :)

EVA Spartan 317
10-09-2013, 08:34 PM
Best in what? The most challenging: ACII
The easiest: ACIII
The funniest: ACR

SixKeys
10-09-2013, 09:00 PM
Best in what? The most challenging: ACII

Lol wut?

Assassin_M
10-09-2013, 09:08 PM
The most challenging: ACII

The funniest: ACR
I have never been so confused..

You find killing people funny? do you???

pacmanate
10-09-2013, 09:12 PM
I have never been so confused..

You find killing people funny? do you???

I do! There is nothing more satisfying that killing in video games.

Assassin_M
10-09-2013, 09:13 PM
I do! There is nothing more satisfying that killing in video games.
Hi, I'm Jack Thompson

Spider_Sith9
10-11-2013, 12:31 AM
Ac3

roostersrule2
10-11-2013, 12:33 AM
Hi, I'm Jack ThompsonHey where is he?

He hasn't tried to ruin GTA V yet.

swordxslash
10-11-2013, 01:51 AM
I'd say the best Combat for me was ACB, but that was only because of the Animus training program, which REALLY made ACB's combat shine, because ACB's combat is based on keeping focus, quickness and the most important thing that made the combat boring in actual gameplay.....lots and lots of enemies and varied archetypes.

I have no idea why they decided to remove that feature after ACB

Farlander1991
10-11-2013, 07:02 AM
Hey where is he?

He hasn't tried to ruin GTA V yet.

Isn't that because he was like fired/resigned a gajillion years ago?

He still tries to stir things up, I think, but can't do it that efficiently anymore.

roostersrule2
10-11-2013, 07:38 AM
Isn't that because he was like fired/resigned a gajillion years ago?

He still tries to stir things up, I think, but can't do it that efficiently anymore.The poor man, he only wanted to ruin arguably the best gaming franchise on the market.

pirate1802
10-11-2013, 08:33 AM
The poor man, he only wanted to ruin arguably the best gaming franchise on the market.

he only wanted to help us.. :(

roostersrule2
10-11-2013, 08:34 AM
he only wanted to help us.. :(Now we will all turn into serial killers, all his effort was in vain :(

pirate1802
10-11-2013, 08:58 AM
Now we will all turn into serial killers, all his effort was in vain :(

:( :( :( Such are the fate of good people in this cruel world I tell ya.

Lowly Assassin
10-11-2013, 09:04 AM
Out of all the AC titles released, which one do you think had the best combat system?

I would think that it is AC1 or AC2. This is because Brotherhood was too easy, and all you had to do was Counterattack with the Hidden Blade or use Arrow Storm. Same with Revelations. I think the AC3 combat was kid of clunky but not too bad..

What do you guys think? I just don't think they should make combat that easy..
what does best mean in this context?

Mr_Shade
10-11-2013, 11:08 AM
Think it's subjective..

which do you find 'best' - could be most enjoyable, complex, funny..

Lowly Assassin
10-11-2013, 11:20 AM
Think it's subjective..

which do you find 'best' - could be most enjoyable, complex, funny..

ah i see that,
i found each one enjoyable for different reasons,
so i could not say i found one best,
my favorite would be the one found in Assassin's Creed III, as it is possible to just hit any combination of buttons and whilst this involves no skill; the advantage is there is no skill needed, so it is possible to randomly hit button's and just enjoy the animations on screen, and not have to worry about desynchronization or countering any attacks in time, it is however not as though this system came out of nowhere, if all games are played in quick or immediate succession, it is possible to witness the evolution of the combat system and see that the combat system was just as easy and the variety of animations was as impressive as far back as brotherhood, so on reflection i cannot say that ACIII was my favourite; they all had there perks, they all had there "faults"(only considered a fault if its something you don't like or cannot get along with)

Mr_Shade
10-11-2013, 11:33 AM
ah i see that,

Interesting signature?

Do you work for Ubisoft? - Thought I knew everyone in the UK :)

Lowly Assassin
10-11-2013, 11:41 AM
Interesting signature?

Do you work for Ubisoft? - Thought I knew everyone in the UK :)
no i don't work for ubisoft,
i have contacts from various UBI departments around the world, but don't communicate with anyone from within the UK divisions,
and it's just something i through together as i was fed up with people quoting and miss quoting me on other sites, so, hope that explains it,
it is also meant to be a reminder to not take everything you read as fact or truth
but if it is an issue, it can and will be removed

Mr_Shade
10-11-2013, 12:10 PM
no it's OK - just a very odd thing to have, considering it's obvious you are not Ubisoft Staff, unlike myself.

If it becomes an issue, with people assuming you are Ubisoft staff - I will remove it.

Lowly Assassin
10-11-2013, 12:13 PM
no it's OK - just a very odd thing to have.

If it becomes an issue, with people assuming you are Ubisoft staff - I will remove it.
i understand and agree to your terms
if you would wish, i could tweak it and make it much broader?

luckyto
10-11-2013, 05:11 PM
my favorite would be the one found in Assassin's Creed III, as it is possible to just hit any combination of buttons and whilst this involves no skill; the advantage is there is no skill needed, so it is possible to randomly hit button's and just enjoy the animations on screen,

SAY WUT????

Yay, you can just randomly hit buttons and just enjoy the animations on screen. I guess you can... but I'm not sure how you survive in really big fights. However, that should never ever be the measure of "good combat." The measure of good combat be that someone who "just presses buttons to enjoy the pretty animations" can barely survive encounters but someone with skill can do it with grace, precision and come out unscathed and survive any encounter. I think AC3 has that, but your post is just shocking to me - I hope Ubisoft doesn't think like you.

AvK KiNgKoBrA
10-11-2013, 06:45 PM
Acb!!!!!!

Lowly Assassin
10-11-2013, 06:58 PM
SAY WUT????

Yay, you can just randomly hit buttons and just enjoy the animations on screen. I guess you can... but I'm not sure how you survive in really big fights. However, that should never ever be the measure of "good combat." The measure of good combat be that someone who "just presses buttons to enjoy the pretty animations" can barely survive encounters but someone with skill can do it with grace, precision and come out unscathed and survive any encounter. I think AC3 has that, but your post is just shocking to me - I hope Ubisoft doesn't think like you.

I was answering most enjoyable visually
As that was my interpretation (with the help of some advice) of what the question actually meant
And again the question means different things to different people