PDA

View Full Version : The Eagle and the Jackdaw

SixKeys
10-05-2013, 02:28 AM
Just spotted this post on the official Assassin's Creed Tumblr: http://tmblr.co/ZpmdeswoPt7R

Q: This might sound stupid, but... What is a Jackdaw?

A: Not stupid at all. The Jackdaw is a bird, technically a member of the crow or Corvidae family. Assassins are often associated with Eagles, but you’ll have to play Black Flag to discover why Edward and his ship are associated with the Jackdaw.
Aesop may offer some (spoiler-free) thematic clues for you in the meantime:
http://ancienthistory.about.com/library/bl/bl_aesop_eagle_jackdaw.htm"

Reading the story would indeed appear to offer some interesting clues about Edward's motivations and his relationship with the assassins.

silvermercy
10-05-2013, 02:33 AM
Indeed! I saw a tweet by Darby some time ago about these symbolic names. And it's quite interesting indeed!

I sense some drama related to that...

Jexx21
10-05-2013, 02:33 AM
AN EAGLE, flying down from his perch on a lofty rock, seized upon a lamb and carried him aloft in his talons. A Jackdaw, who witnessed the capture of the lamb, was stirred with envy and determined to emulate the strength and flight of the Eagle. He flew around with a great whir of his wings and settled upon a large ram, with the intention of carrying him off, but his claws became entangled in the ram's fleece and he was not able to release himself, although he fluttered with his feathers as much as he could. The shepherd, seeing what had happened, ran up and caught him. He at once clipped the Jackdaw's wings, and taking him home at night, gave him to his children. On their saying, "Father, what kind of bird is it?' he replied, "To my certain knowledge he is a Daw; but he would like you to think an Eagle."

I would have quoted the fable.

I-Like-Pie45
10-05-2013, 02:59 AM
symbolizms lolz

Spider_Sith9
10-05-2013, 03:12 AM
Already read this a while back. :D

poptartz20
10-05-2013, 07:19 AM
Actually.. In the start of Sequence 3 Edward names the his ship, the Jackdaw and you find out the reasoning for it. :D

also it's funny because during my play they put some Forsaken references in the game. -- because while he talking about the ship/pirating he also says that one day he wants to own properties back in England!

Sushiglutton
10-05-2013, 10:33 AM
Interesting find, thanks for sharing!

rob.davies2014
10-05-2013, 01:56 PM
Also, the Jackdaw is an important bird in Welsh folklore and Edward is Welsh.

Spider_Sith9
10-05-2013, 04:14 PM
Actually.. In the start of Sequence 3 Edward names the his ship, the Jackdaw and you find out the reasoning for it. :D

also it's funny because during my play they put some Forsaken references in the game. -- because while he talking about the ship/pirating he also says that one day he wants to own properties back in England!

Nice! :D