PDA

View Full Version : It looks like they're kind of struggling with promoting the game

killzab
10-03-2013, 09:45 PM
Maybe you'll disagree with me but unlike other AC's, this one seems to cause Ubisoft more problems to market it.

Part of it might be because of AC3's mixed reception.

It's like in most videos they're saying " hey look, trust us, our game is ACTUALLY fun to play this time, look at this ! "

They're trying to justify everything they're creating for the game, almost as an apology for their past failures.

Whereas AC3's marketing campaign felt more like "look how beautiful our new AC game looks" and relied mostly on the franchise's notoriety and success. The devs never really admitted they needed to change something from past games.

it's noticeable as well when talking about the pirates settings. I never got a " don't worry, it IS an AC game" vibe from previous marketing campaigns. Ubisoft seemed more confident about using the American Revolution than Pirates of the carribean and keep reassuring us that it will feel like it's part of the franchise.

It's almost like the marketing campaign could be summed up with the words "redemption" and "reassuring".

LoyalACFan
10-03-2013, 09:51 PM
Because AC3 was a huge disappointment for a large part of the fanbase. Maybe even the majority of the fanbase. Even its most diehard supporters acknowledge that it had some pretty unforgivable issues, namely pacing, glitches, linearity, mission design, and narrative inconsistency.

Not surprising that they're trying to salvage their reputation this time.

silvermercy
10-03-2013, 09:56 PM
I don't think I agree with any parts of the above posts. lol I will not elaborate more because this may fuel a huge argument.

adventurewomen
10-03-2013, 10:03 PM
I don't think I agree with any parts of the above posts. lol I will not elaborate more because this may fuel a huge argument.
Pretty much this!! AGREED!

AC3 wasn't a disappointment, I loved the game!! :D

killzab
10-03-2013, 10:05 PM
I didn't say anything bad about AC3. I just said it had a mixed reception which is a FACT.

I created the topic to discuss the matter so don't be afraid of creating an "argument" and SHOOT, say whatever you want...

pacmanate
10-03-2013, 10:06 PM
Because AC3 was a huge disappointment for a large part of the fanbase. Maybe even the majority of the fanbase. Even its most diehard supporters acknowledge that it had some pretty unforgivable issues, namely pacing, glitches, linearity, mission design, and narrative inconsistency.

Not surprising that they're trying to salvage their reputation this time.

Yup. Basically all this. Mission design was crap, pacing was really crap, was very linear, 100% constraints were crap.

adventurewomen
10-03-2013, 10:08 PM
Well we have some disgruntled AC fans here! :D

pacmanate
10-03-2013, 10:10 PM
Well we have some disgruntled AC fans here! :D

?

ArabianFrost
10-03-2013, 10:14 PM
When you have alienated the hardcore fanbase that much, you really need to get on your knees.

Anywho, not like it's a negative to market your game as one that returns to the roots.

With AC5 they have no excuse. With no niches like naval gameplay in the way, they need to focus on revamping the cores of the series or at least significantly building upon them. AC4 got away with mildy upgraded gameplay because of the naval and the beauty of the worls, with AC5, it's all city and it all needs to be greatly innovative when it comes to the stealth and gameplay.

adventurewomen
10-03-2013, 10:15 PM
?
You're just dissatisfied and angry by the experience of AC3.

Maybe it's the way you played the game.

silvermercy
10-03-2013, 10:22 PM
I just don't agree that the majority of fans were disappointed with AC3. (Maybe the majority of hardcore (Ezio) fans would be more accurate). Has anyone asked the rest of the buyers in person!? The jury is out on those (the majority). Casuals (most possibly the majority who bought the game) don't frequent in forums or youtube videos to express their disappointment as much as hardcore fans. Also my experience on many other sites has been very different. Everyone seems to love AC3 there. It depends where you go.

As far as the marketing campaign go I don't think it's any different from say AC:R (a pre-AC3 game). Besides... the feedback that was constantly given, on this forum at least, was that AC3 was over-hyped. So I think it's prudent they have toned it down this year.

ladyleonhart
10-03-2013, 10:28 PM
ACIII did have a mixed reception, but I don't think it is that clear cut that most of the fans didn't like it. The fact is, unhappy fans make the loudest noise. If any videos promoting ACIV come across as being reassuring, it's because they have been trying to listen to the reaction of fans. Ultimately, they will listen and decide how they can meet the fans expectations, but that doesn't mean the final product will be exactly what any fan wants. It is impossible to make everyone happy. Also, they are the telling us a story and not the other way around.

I actually didn't get that feeling myself and I'm really looking forward to it. The developers have tried something different, which is a surprise and a shock for some. When I saw the first trailer in March this year, I was actually surprised that they chose pirates as well. However, if they didn't try something new, they would most likely be criticised for the game being too similar to other games in the series. Also, I don't think they are having trouble promoting it at all. We've had some amazing trailers for ACIV and they've given us so much content already that I feel like I already have it and played it.

Although, I suppose for those that are concerned, about whether it will live up to their expectations, it would feel like they are being reassured.

pacmanate
10-03-2013, 10:29 PM
You're just dissatisfied and angry by the experience of AC3.

Maybe it's the way you played the game.

How when it was so linear?

The mission design in AC3 was the most linear it has ever been.
The pacing was terrible, from 4 sequences of Haytham, and 2 as Connor before he became an Assassin.
The 100% sync objectives were just irritating and more of a chore.

How I play a game does not change how the game was designed.

Assassin_M
10-03-2013, 10:32 PM
Maybe you'll disagree with me but unlike other AC's, this one seems to cause Ubisoft more problems to market it.

Part of it might be because of AC3's mixed reception.

It's like in most videos they're saying " hey look, trust us, our game is ACTUALLY fun to play this time, look at this ! "

They're trying to justify everything they're creating for the game, almost as an apology for their past failures.

Whereas AC3's marketing campaign felt more like "look how beautiful our new AC game looks" and relied mostly on the franchise's notoriety and success. The devs never really admitted they needed to change something from past games.

it's noticeable as well when talking about the pirates settings. I never got a " don't worry, it IS an AC game" vibe from previous marketing campaigns. Ubisoft seemed more confident about using the American Revolution than Pirates of the carribean and keep reassuring us that it will feel like it's part of the franchise.

It's almost like the marketing campaign could be summed up with the words "redemption" and "reassuring".
I don't agree with you on a lot, but I agree with you on this one.

This is because we spoke here, we gave constructive feedback, formulated intelligent criticisms and managed to make a strong voice with the development team, thanks to the mods here and the dedication of the developers on twitter (because that really needs to be acknowledged)

It's all because SOME people chose to civilly voice their concerns and look deeply into the problem instead of just go "nya nya, Ubi sucks" because lets face it...it's SO much easier to just bash and moan.

All this ACKNOWLEDGEMENT, not struggle, in the marketing is due to now one else, but the ones who voiced their concerns professionally and intelligently..

I'm pretty sure we're obviously not the only ones being listened to, but I believe we affect a significant portion of what's being marketed...it's like they read EVERY post on the forums here (Which I know can be mirrored elsewhere)

Of course, none of this guarantees that we're getting what's being marketed either

Jexx21
10-03-2013, 10:33 PM
When you have alienated the hardcore fanbase that much, you really need to get on your knees.

Anywho, not like it's a negative to market your game as one that returns to the roots.

With AC5 they have no excuse. With no niches like naval gameplay in the way, they need to focus on revamping the cores of the series or at least significantly building upon them. AC4 got away with mildy upgraded gameplay because of the naval and the beauty of the worls, with AC5, it's all city and it all needs to be greatly innovative when it comes to the stealth and gameplay.

I expect that with each AC from now on, there will be at least one free-roam map that isn't a city.

It's like you're talking about a game that's already been announced.

I'm expecting the next AC game to be a Connor sequel with both a frontier map and a naval free-roam map. I would expect them to both be (much) smaller than the frontier/naval maps of AC3/AC4.