PDA

View Full Version : Ac3 concerns for Ac4

Astrosnedy
10-02-2013, 11:48 AM
I know many various opinions exist regarding ac3 but some things that bothered me beyond glitches that I haven't seen mentioned before give me grave concerns that I will see them cross over to the next upcoming game.

One of the most annoying problems to me was the club side missions, in previous games I found them challenging and enjoyable adding extra game play (filler as it may be) but in ac3 they were seemed almost an after thought. I would complete a set of challenges and unlock a second set only to find that in completing the first set I had unwittingly completed the majority of the second set and the same with the third. The challenge was undone by this as I was only left with one or two challenges to do for each set by the time I had completed the first.

There was an interactive element within the ac2 games, the working with factions that seemed to be missing from the ac3 game as if these so called factions just decided to set challenges for me, no interaction beyond listening to campfire stories and such.

I know a large group of people enjoyed the climbing mechanics of the game but i felt it lacked something from the previous games also, it just felt like run forward and the character will climb up where ever he could. The only trouble I had climbing was up the tree view points and once I understood how the problem was gone. I enjoyed climbing when I had to plan some of the climb, figuring out where the next grip was or the best path up was a fun element that was lacking.

The new game looks promising but having had so much enjoyment from the prospect of ac3 from the trailers and seeing none of that play out in the game I am concerned that it will follow that same path. I will play it but I feel like this game could be the last chance I give the franchise and that saddens me as it was/is so filled with potential that I feel is being sold out to satisfy the lowest common denominator of gamers.

I am interested to hear your concerns regarding any of the comments I have made regarding the series and the upcoming title. Any additional problems you have come up with regarding ac3 are of interest to me too...I understand many people have posted things regarding glitches of a graphical nature and that is understandable but I am trying to find out what game play issues you found problematic.

Lastly I've noticed many people complain about the stealth of the game or lack there of and I wonder why there hasn't been an option, like a difficulty setting, where a gamer can switch the game to a stealth mode where you De-synchronize when spotted by guards in any situation or something like that. An option where you are forced to play with stealth if you so chose, it would also make for a more re-playable game since you may chose to play it through where you can charge into battle and then again where you are required to sneak and silently kill...I would play both...what about you?

silvermercy
10-02-2013, 11:50 AM
What do you mean by " lowest common denominator of gamers"?

pacmanate
10-02-2013, 11:50 AM
Stealth is there, and for the most part is optional unless they have a forced stealth scenario.

Agree on the climbing, it sucks, but it will be the same.

Factions are back in.

Sushiglutton
10-02-2013, 12:59 PM
I think many were disapointed with AC3, so you are not alone there. And like you it has made it difficult for me to get hyped for 4 knowing that AC3 seemed amazing before release and turned out anything but. So I'm more in a wait and see mode (which perhaps is healthier regardless).

I'm no fan of lists of tasks you are supposed to complete to check some boxes. I wish AC would move away from that kind of gameyness and generic content. Instead populate the world with random events and sidecontent with meaningful mini-stories. I think R* has done a great job with this in GTA V.

As for parkour I have written tons of long posts about that lol. And yeah in summary I agree it lacks the inteactivity needed to make it a good enough mechanic to build missions around. The difference between how the worlds best AC player and the worlds worst AC player navigates from point A to point B is close to zero. There is almost nothing to learn or master. The only thing you control is the direction of the stick, which is fiddly.

LoyalACFan
10-02-2013, 08:24 PM
I'm no fan of lists of tasks you are supposed to complete to check some boxes. I wish AC would move away from that kind of gameyness and generic content. Instead populate the world with random events and sidecontent with meaningful mini-stories. I think R* has done a great job with this in GTA V.

I facepalmed when I saw that GTAV had "100% sync" as well, lol. I have no idea why anyone thinks it's a good idea.

AnthonyA85
10-02-2013, 08:52 PM
The only real thing i'm worried about making a comeback that shouldn't, is the QTE thing for fighting animals that can fight back (apparently, getting attacked by Sharks WON'T kill you, so there's no need for it there), but we've not seen what happens if Edward is attacked by land predators like big cats or Alligators. There's one screenshot of Edward wrestling an Alligator (or a crocodile), although in a recent walkthrough/preview, the guy doing the commentary did say that the hunting in AC4 is more like Far Cry 3, and from what i've seen on youtube, there are no QTEs in that, so i'm really hoping the devs had some sense this time around and got rid of the QTEs, because they killed the fun of hunting in AC3.

lothario-da-be
10-02-2013, 08:52 PM
I facepalmed when I saw that GTAV had "100% sync" as well, lol. I have no idea why anyone thinks it's a good idea.
It makes the game longer for lots of people, and people like long games. Its sad that it "forces" you though.

Shahkulu101
10-02-2013, 09:06 PM

I wonder if that's a coincidence or they actually picked it up from Ubi...

It was in development for 5 years so likely a coincidence but who knows - all I know is it's not a good idea.

Jexx21
10-02-2013, 09:38 PM
both 100% sync and QTEs are good ideas, but they aren't always implemented properly. FC3 animal hunting did have QTEs in the water. AC4 hunting will probably have QTEs, considering that they aren't gonna redesign the hunting system, and the guys meant that the crafting system from Far Cry 3 was taken, not the hunting. They were stupid when they said that and didn't realize that the act of hunting and the act of crafting items are different.

Already explained why the only real way to implement hunting in AC is through QTEs. Animal combat has too many variables that you would have to make too many animations for, so thus it's better to relegate it to a QTE mechanic. I much prefer the cinematic QTE approach to just having QTEs without the cinematic effect (which is exactly what we would have if they "got rid of the QTEs" since you would still be doing the same action of pressing a button and then pressing another button and then sometimes pressing a bunch more buttons to kill an animal. FC3 hunting worked without QTEs because you usually just shot it, and your in first person. In Assassin's Creed your main tools are melee weapons, and your in third person.

Only way I could see them removing QTE animal hunting is if they built a game that revolves around the idea of hunting.

Billiam301
10-02-2013, 10:19 PM
The hunting in AC4 will not rely as much on QTEs even if they are in the game because the quality of kills probably doesn't matter, you appear to be able to just shoot an animal as opposed to attacking it with hidden blades

Sushiglutton
10-02-2013, 10:32 PM

I think there implementation is suprior though. It's just a rating at the end of the mission, so it doesn't really bother me. Plus game is so huge I will never dream of 100% it anyway lol.

both 100% sync and QTEs are good ideas, but they aren't always implemented properly. FC3 animal hunting did have QTEs in the water. AC4 hunting will probably have QTEs, considering that they aren't gonna redesign the hunting system, and the guys meant that the crafting system from Far Cry 3 was taken, not the hunting. They were stupid when they said that and didn't realize that the act of hunting and the act of crafting items are different.

Already explained why the only real way to implement hunting in AC is through QTEs. Animal combat has too many variables that you would have to make too many animations for, so thus it's better to relegate it to a QTE mechanic. I much prefer the cinematic QTE approach to just having QTEs without the cinematic effect (which is exactly what we would have if they "got rid of the QTEs" since you would still be doing the same action of pressing a button and then pressing another button and then sometimes pressing a bunch more buttons to kill an animal. FC3 hunting worked without QTEs because you usually just shot it, and your in first person. In Assassin's Creed your main tools are melee weapons, and your in third person.

Only way I could see them removing QTE animal hunting is if they built a game that revolves around the idea of hunting.

At least they should use natural QTEs. By that I mean buttons have the same meaning as in regular gameplay. Circle is block/counter,triangle pistol and so on. Sure they would need a few more animations/animal but it would be a ton better imo.

pacmanate
10-02-2013, 10:40 PM
GTAV was gonna have 100% sync as it was introduced in the Balard of Gay Tony for GTA IV

AnthonyA85
10-02-2013, 10:53 PM
[...]

At least they should use natural QTEs. By that I mean buttons have the same meaning as in regular gameplay. Circle is block/counter,triangle pistol and so on. Sure they would need a few more animations/animal but it would be a ton better imo.

This is true. AC3's QTEs were a friggin' NIGHTMARE on a keyboard and mouse. And the fact that the response time for pushing the buttons was so short (barely 0.25 seconds) meant that by the time I DID see them and press them, I was already getting my throat ripped out. (same effect if i hit the wrong button), add to that, the fact that the button prompts were always in different places. I hope the response times are better.

LatinaC09
10-03-2013, 04:24 AM

Lol I feel the same way. This is one thing that drives me crazy! I know some people like long games and all but it just seems a little ridiculous. I thought AC1 and AC2 were fine without 100% sync.