PDA

View Full Version : Assassinís Creed 4 PS4 hands-on: why Black Flag flies highest on PS4

Mr_Shade
10-01-2013, 09:15 PM
Saying that Assassinís Creed 4: Black Flag (http://www.officialplaystationmagazine.co.uk/tag/assassins-creed-4-black-flag/)ís map is large is a bit like saying Metal Gear Solid 4 (http://www.officialplaystationmagazine.co.uk/tag/metal-gear-solid-4/) has some cutscenes. Itís technically true, but it doesnít quite convey whatís really going on. Zooming out is a bit like pulling back a camera located on the ISS thatís been focused on a particularly feisty cockroach Ė it just goes on and on and on. As well as the major cities Ė Havana, Nassau and Kingston Ė there are countless smaller island dotted around the map, each with treasure to find, assassination contracts to pick up, or coconuts filled with delicious rum punch to drink...

read more:

http://www.officialplaystationmagazine.co.uk/2013/09/30/assassins-creed-4-ps4-gameplay-hands-on-preview/#gallery-top

pacmanate
10-01-2013, 09:29 PM
Ooo!

http://media.officialplaystationmagazine.co.uk/files/2013/09/6.jpg

and preview!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=uIH7OVpmdtA

Shahkulu101
10-01-2013, 09:35 PM
Ooo!

I don't know...looks a little QTE'ish. I wonder why he didn't elaborate on how we fight animals. Shade - do you know?

silvermercy
10-01-2013, 09:49 PM
coconuts filled with delicious rum punch to drink...

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQLyaosyB5Ub8uAqeHqun-kEeTiQhCps5Ky8nTkC25mNxcvBWUU
CHALLENGE ACCEPTED

Mr_Shade
10-01-2013, 09:52 PM
I don't know...looks a little QTE'ish. I wonder why he didn't elaborate on how we fight animals. Shade - do you know?
nope...

even if it's a QTE - still a good thing to be able to do - or not ;)

Shahkulu101
10-01-2013, 10:03 PM
nope...

even if it's a QTE - still a good thing to be able to do - or not ;)

Yeah, course. Looks a lot more useful now and the crafting looks simplified greatly. :D

ladyleonhart
10-01-2013, 10:11 PM
Ooo!

I actually expected nothing less from Edward since Aveline goes up against alligators too. ;)

Then, I'm still curious about underwater encounters with sharks, unless that was just a cutscene.

Shahkulu101
10-01-2013, 10:15 PM
I actually expected nothing less from Edward since Aveline goes up against alligators too. ;)

Then, I'm still curious about underwater encounters with sharks, unless that was just a cutscene.

It would be quite funny if we were just eaten whole by the sharks - like the poor man we saw in this video.

silvermercy
10-01-2013, 10:23 PM

http://www.enasco.com/prod/images/products/4F/AC103563.jpg
Eddie's toy in childhood.

Mr_Shade
10-01-2013, 10:31 PM
nom nom nom

adventurewomen
10-01-2013, 10:49 PM
Edward wrestling gators! :D

silvermercy
10-01-2013, 11:09 PM
We can't drink from coconuts. My life is ruined. Wwhyy.... why u do dis to meh?

(I just asked Darby).

LoyalACFan
10-01-2013, 11:11 PM
Chest holsters :D

silvermercy
10-01-2013, 11:13 PM
Chest holsters :D

but no coconut drinks... *sadz*

silvermercy
10-01-2013, 11:28 PM
Fact: "Falling coconuts kill 150 people every year!"
The ultimate assassin!

(what u lookin' at? I am coco-nutz!)

Jexx21
10-01-2013, 11:36 PM

Honestly.. I can't see a better way to do animal combat than with QTEs. Why? If they made it look like normal combat with people, it would still essentially be a QTE. Animal combat has been 1 on 1 so far, so essentially the combat would be the same thing we have with the QTEs. Animal lunges for you, press counter, press kill, animal is dead or wounded, repeat. If we would have the ability to use weapons other than the hidden blade in animal combat, it would require too many new animations. QTEs is the best solution in my opinion. But maybe instead of making you press random buttons it should be the same set of buttons each time, just make the "counter/kill" time windows smaller.

Shahkulu101
10-01-2013, 11:44 PM
Honestly.. I can't see a better way to do animal combat than with QTEs. Why? If they made it look like normal combat with people, it would still essentially be a QTE. Animal combat has been 1 on 1 so far, so essentially the combat would be the same thing we have with the QTEs. Animal lunges for you, press counter, press kill, animal is dead or wounded, repeat. If we would have the ability to use weapons other than the hidden blade in animal combat, it would require too many new animations. QTEs is the best solution in my opinion. But maybe instead of making you press random buttons it should be the same set of buttons each time, just make the "counter/kill" time windows smaller.

Good idea but do you mean a set of buttons for each animal? That would work well - basically like AC3's and probably similar to AC4's combat. I just don't like the immersion breaking 'interactive cutscene' (for lack of a better word) and rather large button prompts we had in AC3.

Jexx21
10-01-2013, 11:50 PM
Lol those guys at the end of the video "eavesdropping and tailing is horrible. too many "walk and talks" that are really boring"

I can agree with tailing being stupid when the guy continuously stops to look behind him. but eavesdropping and tailing are legit ways to gather info. Seems like they want an action game more than an Assassin game. Walk and talks are ways to interact with characters.. I guess you may as well make them cut-scenes though.

Jexx21
10-01-2013, 11:51 PM
Good idea but do you mean a set of buttons for each animal? That would work well - basically like AC3's and probably similar to AC4's combat. I just don't like the immersion breaking 'interactive cutscene' (for lack of a better word) and rather large button prompts we had in AC3.

I meant the same set of buttons for each animal, except if they're tougher to kill than others.

LoyalACFan
10-02-2013, 01:07 AM

My biggest problem with the QTE's was just that it took all the danger and suspense out of hunting. Take Red Dead for example; if there are bears or cougars in the area, you jolly well better have a gun in your hand because they WILL kill you if you're not on guard. But in AC3, anytime you get near a dangerous animal, time slows down for you to push a button and save yourself. And even if you miss it, you can still easily survive if you button mash your way out of it.

That, and there was only one kill animation for each animal, so killing wolf packs was much less satisfying than it could have been.

pacmanate
10-02-2013, 02:03 AM
My biggest problem with the QTE's was just that it took all the danger and suspense out of hunting. Take Red Dead for example; if there are bears or cougars in the area, you jolly well better have a gun in your hand because they WILL kill you if you're not on guard. But in AC3, anytime you get near a dangerous animal, time slows down for you to push a button and save yourself. And even if you miss it, you can still easily survive if you button mash your way out of it.

That, and there was only one kill animation for each animal, so killing wolf packs was much less satisfying than it could have been.

Yeah QTE are crap, its not justifiable. Slow down time, let you press 3 buttons, very satisifying... not.

mhg87
10-02-2013, 04:01 AM
Ooo!

Well that's the manliest thing I've seen all day

roostersrule2
10-02-2013, 04:23 AM
This has got me into super hype mode.

The only negative is that tailing missions are still there, IMO the only way to make them fun is make them set pieces, like the Forum of the Ox mission in ACR, it's one of my favourite missions and it's a tailing mission.

LoyalACFan
10-02-2013, 07:45 AM
This has got me into super hype mode.

The only negative is that tailing missions are still there, IMO the only way to make them fun is make them set pieces, like the Forum of the Ox mission in ACR, it's one of my favourite missions and it's a tailing mission.

You can't really eavesdrop when you're chasing a boat full of gunmen down whitewater rapids though :p

roostersrule2
10-02-2013, 07:56 AM
You can't really eavesdrop when you're chasing a boat full of gunmen down whitewater rapids though :pNot eavesdropping, tailing as in following, stalking, although I don't really like them either.

LoyalACFan
10-02-2013, 07:59 AM
Not eavesdropping, tailing as in following, stalking, although I don't really like them either.

Oh, okay. I dunno, chases/pursuits can be fun if they're done right (NOT like Charles Lee).

pacmanate
10-02-2013, 08:02 AM
Oh, okay. I dunno, chases/pursuits can be fun if they're done right (NOT like Charles Lee).

The Charles Lee ending mission was great!

just kidding
it sucked beyond belief
whoever designed that... just wow

Farlander1991
10-02-2013, 08:04 AM
I thought the Charles Lee mission was fine, just too short. The only annoying thing about it was not to shove any people optional objective, which sucks, because in a mission like that you have to put as many people to shove through as possible, that increases the tension.

(But, I also was playing on PC, so I didn't encounter the problems that console players had)

Sushiglutton
10-02-2013, 08:25 AM
This kind of "journalism" is pretty silly imo.

Size of the world is not comparable to other open world games since there are lots of water and you won't be able to explore the center of the bigger islands. Not that I think that's a bad thing, on the contrary. But it makes this wirld size thing pretty irrelevant. I have also noticed that Ubi representatives have not talked in the way the article does for that very reason.

LoyalACFan
10-02-2013, 08:46 AM
This kind of "journalism" is pretty silly imo.

Size of the world is not comparable to other open world games since there are lots of water and you won't be able to explore the center of the bigger islands. Not that I think that's a bad thing, on the contrary. But it makes this wirld size thing pretty irrelevant. I have also noticed that Ubi representatives have not talked in the way the article does for that very reason.

Yeah, I remember Ashraf explicitly saying "yes, it's the biggest, but we don't like to say so because a lot of it is open water"

Sushiglutton
10-02-2013, 08:55 AM
Yeah, I remember Ashraf explicitly saying "yes, it's the biggest, but we don't like to say so because a lot of it is open water"

I think Darby has said something similar too. I think that's very good of them, because it's tempting to beat the biggest-ever drum.

GreySkellig
10-02-2013, 02:03 PM
I am really excited for this--pretty much everything looks great. That said, I do have one kind of silly gripe: the cannon fire. There are two aspects here--realism and animation.

Realism:
Am I the only one bothered by how fast the cannons seem to fire? First those silly semi-automatic swivel guns in the 7-minute gameplay a while back, and now these endless volleys of cannon fire. The Jackdaw is supposed to max out at something like 50-56 guns if I remember correctly. I don't think this footage shows the Jackdaw maxed out, since only up to Sequence 6 is being used for hands-on, but for the sake of argument let's say it is. That's 28 guns to a side, max. And yet the Jackdaw seems capable of unleashing three separate volleys of around twenty shots in the space of a few seconds. Which means either they're instantly reloading like the swivel guns, or the number of cannon on each of the three gun decks is being grossly bumped up just for visual effect. Either way, there are too few cannons to support that rate of fire.

Animation:
Well, the guns have no recoil, so that's a bit irritating. But the thing that really bugs me here is how the roundshot seems emanate from a point somewhere above and in front of the gunwales. It looks a bit off.

Don't get me wrong, I'm very excited for the naval portion of this game. But I thought that ACIII's (granted very limited) naval missions did an excellent job striking a balance between an authentic feel and a satisfying piece of gameplay. Everything people complain about--the ponderous pace, the laboriousness of lining up a broadside, the long reload times--were defining characteristics of combat in the age of sail, and they helped me really feel immersed in the setting. Videos from those naval missions really looked cinematic. When I look at the naval in ACIV, it looks far more gamey to me. Faster ships, lower reload times, larger volleys, bow chasers and mortars and sea mines...I know these features were put in to make the naval feel more vibrant, since we'll spend about 40% of the game at it. And I'm sure I'll appreciate the various tactical options available. But they look like they'll really undercut the core mechanics I loved in ACIII. There's no tension in trying to line up the perfect broadside when I can adjust my aim independently (and with ludicrous flexibility), lob 60 rounds out there, and reload again in a few seconds.

Maybe I'm just curmudgeonly because ACIII's naval really struck a chord with me. I am really hyped for this game.

pacmanate
10-02-2013, 02:18 PM
I am sure that the demo'd jackdaw is fully upgraded for demo purposes. So reloading quicker is probably an upgrade.