PDA

View Full Version : AC IV Concern: Skyrim on Water?

STDlyMcStudpants
09-30-2013, 11:47 PM
I've seen a few game play videos of the jungle and on islands but I have a few concerns...They seem VERY linear.
What exactly is the open world of this game?
I've felt like every part of every AC has been open world up to this point. I was hoping that the jungles would be like the frontier in AC3.
However it doesn't seem as so.
It seems that the focus is the ocean here. The Ocean will be our open world.
Not a city, like AC 2 or the wilderness like AC 3.
The Islands look more to me like the dungeons in Skyrim.
You go in at Point A, Kill enemies to get to a treasure and exit out of point B.
That the cities are just bases much like the cities in Skyrim. You have shops etc to upgrade and craft, but will spend the least amount of time here.
I loved Skyrim, but I don't know how I feel about the Ocean being the star of the show...I was hoping it would be an optional thing that was just there and out of the way..
Doesn't look as so..
I'll be rather disappointed if The Ocean is to AC IV what open land was to Skyrim...

pacmanate
09-30-2013, 11:56 PM
Some are more open than others. The jungle is fairly linear but that Mayan ruin we saw in the 14 min demo wasnt.

I-Like-Pie45
09-30-2013, 11:57 PM
I hope its like Skyrim on Water

backwards sailing ships FTW

roostersrule2
10-01-2013, 12:17 AM
Skyrim wasn't linear? If you could find a way to get somewhere you could get there and most places it was a just a forest or something so you could just walk there.

Shahkulu101
10-01-2013, 12:22 AM
Jungles may be linear but not cities obviously. You are reading too much into this.

Jexx21
10-01-2013, 01:32 AM
the interesting stuff in Skyrim was in the caves.

STDlyMcStudpants
10-01-2013, 05:20 AM
Skyrim wasn't linear? If you could find a way to get somewhere you could get there and most places it was a just a forest or something so you could just walk there.
I didn't say Skyrim was Linear and I'm not saying AC IV is linear.
Both Have Cities..Skyrim had the open world, AC IV has the open sea.
In Skyrim you could freely do anything you wanted, do missions in any order,,,
I am however saying that the dungeons in Skyrim were extremely linear and that the islands look just as linear. That they are AC's "Dungeons"
This is the first time I'm looking at AC and thinking why are you trying to copy something else when you've been so great at being you this whole time?
My fear is that we will be sent on quests to these linear dungeons and will be spending most of our game time going through these linear sections much like skyrim was.
90% of our quests we had to go through a linear dungeon that looked exactly the same as the last..just the paths and puzzles were rearranged.

Imagine Skyrims world map..keep the cities..color all of the land outside of the cities blue..now where you see dungeons marked, place an island overtop of it..
Do you see it??

I got excited when they said we have 50+ islands..but now that ive seen what the islands are like it makes sense because skyrim had 150 dungeons..theyre the same thing =/
So I think..I pray I am wrong though...

roostersrule2
10-01-2013, 05:28 AM
I didn't say Skyrim was Linear and I'm not saying AC IV is linear.
Both Have Cities..Skyrim had the open world, AC IV has the open sea.
In Skyrim you could freely do anything you wanted, do missions in any order,,,
I am however saying that the dungeons in Skyrim were extremely linear and that the islands look just as linear. That they are AC's "Dungeons"
This is the first time I'm looking at AC and thinking why are you trying to copy something else when you've been so great at being you this whole time?
My fear is that we will be sent on quests to these linear dungeons and will be spending most of our game time going through these linear sections much like skyrim was.
90% of our quests we had to go through a linear dungeon that looked exactly the same as the last..just the paths and puzzles were rearranged.

Imagine Skyrims world map..keep the cities..color all of the land outside of the cities blue..now where you see dungeons marked, place an island overtop of it..
Do you see it??

I got excited when they said we have 50+ islands..but now that ive seen what the islands are like it makes sense because skyrim had 150 dungeons..theyre the same thing =/
So I think..I pray I am wrong though...Oh okay.

But they were still fun and the dense forest would be more interesting.

STDlyMcStudpants
10-02-2013, 05:53 PM
Oh okay.

But they were still fun and the dense forest would be more interesting.

No doubt that it will be more interesting and beautiful...
I wouldn't mind if they are specifically for treasures like The Tombs in AC2, ACB, and ACR
I just fear that like skyrim..we will be spending 90% of our missions time here... :(

Mr_Shade
10-02-2013, 05:59 PM
My understanding of the 'jungle' demo - as everyone seems to be calling it - was it's very early code and intended to be very narrow - it's to push people towards certain things - like the guards and the port.. you didn't really see what led upto that part in the demo - or trailers since - it could be very open.. ?

There were hidden areas though even in narrow section - which most people missed [a few fragments and treasure chests ;)]

The demo was designed to give entertainment over a 10 minute period not to hold attention for hours. ;)

STDlyMcStudpants
10-02-2013, 06:05 PM
My understanding of the 'jungle' demo - as everyone seems to be calling it - was it's very early code and intended to be very narrow - it's to push people towards certain things - like the guards and the port.. you didn't really see what led upto that part in the demo - or trailers since - it could be very open.. ?

There were hidden areas though even in narrow section - which most people missed [a few fragments and treasure chests ;)]

The demo was designed to give entertainment over a 10 minute period not to hold attention for hours. ;)
I hope they open up :D
And by open up i mean frontier style..not skyrim maze lol

ladyleonhart
10-02-2013, 06:12 PM

You really shouldn't worry. That was only one section and not every jungle will be like that. Do you remember the Nassau demo...? The area they showed in that demo could be classified as a jungle too, and it seemed more open to me.

Mr_Shade
10-02-2013, 06:12 PM
that jungle section - if you watch the previews - you see Edward duck under a large fallen tree - that's the start of that very narrow section - by the look of it - so it's really only a very short section - maybe a 'hidden path' since the bridges are out.. you have to jump them?

Who knows what is before that...

Gi1t
10-02-2013, 06:28 PM

Yeah, and I especially hope it's not like the actual maze in Skyrim (in Labyrinthian). XD That was so lame. I get exactly what you're saying here and I agree. It wouldn't be much fun if everywhere except the open ocean was just a linear 'level' to be completed. They need some of these pther places to be miniature free-roam environments. Otherwise, the whole thing just becomes formulaic really quick. It was definitely a problem in Skyrim.

STDlyMcStudpants
10-02-2013, 06:32 PM
that jungle section - if you watch the previews - you see Edward duck under a large fallen tree - that's the start of that very narrow section - by the look of it - so it's really only a very short section - maybe a 'hidden path' since the bridges are out.. you have to jump them?

Who knows what is before that...
That sounds perfect :D

STDlyMcStudpants
10-02-2013, 06:34 PM
Yeah, and I especially hope it's not like the actual maze in Skyrim (in Labyrinthian). XD That was so lame. I get exactly what you're saying here and I agree. It wouldn't be much fun if everywhere except the open ocean was just a linear 'level' to be completed. They need some of these pther places to be miniature free-roam environments. Otherwise, the whole thing just becomes formulaic really quick. It was definitely a problem in Skyrim.

I just finished skyrim Early august so it's still in my mind..so it's easy for my to see how similar they are..most of these guys probably forget because it came out 2 years ago ;D
From what was shown..Adding it all up..im getting Skyrim as the answer to the equation more than im getting "Far Cry 3" or Assassin's Creed 1 with the AC2 team" lol

Kit572
10-02-2013, 08:51 PM
I hope its like Skyrim on Water

backwards sailing ships FTW

Indeed.

the interesting stuff in Skyrim was in the caves.

Meh, I thought caves where boring.