PDA

View Full Version : My review and rating of the factions (other than Academy) and spell schools in FW.

ArcaneAzmadi
09-28-2013, 02:56 AM
OK, this is the sequel to a similar thread I made on the release of Herald of the Void (http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/774557-My-review-and-rating-of-the-factions-in-HotV-and-top-5-cards). This time is a bit different, however, since the release of Academy in this expansion muddles things a bit- it's hard to rate which of the 6 factions got the most good stuff when one of them is being entirely introduced in this set. So I'm simply going to disregard Academy for now. I'm also not going to bother with a top 5, although I will do a quick list rating of the new cards in the spell schools as well to make up for it. So without further ado, from weakest to strongest, the factions rated by the new stuff they got:

5: Necropolis.
Wow, was this some misguided attempt at revenge? As you might have been aware, I rated Necropolis as the faction that benefitted the most in HotV thanks to getting a simply ABSURD number of awesome new creatures as well as one of the best heroes. Apparently some bright spark on the design team decided that this meant that to "balance it out" Forgotten Wars should give Necro nothing at all! Seriously, there are maybe 2 cards in the entire set for Necro that are even vaguely playable (A Life For A Life and Death Is Not The End) and even they are honestly not very good! Their hero is the worst of the new achievement heroes, their unique epic creature is mediocre at best (arguably the worst unique creature in the game) and you'd be a fool to use even ONE of the other creatures in ANY deck they're so useless (well, except MAYBE Sahaar Mummy as a second-rate Squee, Goblin Nabob (http://gatherer.wizards.com/pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=106473)). With the nerf to Banshee and the abundance of graveyard hate, Necro arguably LOST more than they gained in this expansion. Seriously, they might as well not have printed any cards for Necropolis at all! I have no hesitation in calling this the worst load of cards ANY faction has ever got in ANY expansion of ANY CCG EVER. I may have hated Necro after HotV, but now I just feel sorry for them.

4: Inferno.
Well, they certainly did better than Necropolis, not that that's any kind of achievement. Inferno actually got some really intriguing cards here. Ignatius may be the first hero to make a discard strategy genuinely viable, Escalating Madness could go on to be the best hand destruction card in the game if the opponent doesn't abuse graveyard hate, Gate To Sheogh is potentially awesome if you build your deck around it properly and Abyssal Worm is arguably the beefiest creature in the game. Pity the rest of their stuff is fairly mediocre, including the absolutely garbage Frenzied Maniac (which would be better if it didn't hit YOU harder than it's likely to hit your opponent), the second-weakest of the unique epic creatures, a new Lilim who is better to ogle than use and one of the worst fortunes ever printed (Dunes of Madness). There are some nice toys here, including some that could be potential sleepers (like Dhamiria was) but Inferno didn't really bring home the bacon.

3: Stronghold.
Stronghold got the second-best stuff out of HotV and they brought home a pretty sweet load this time too. Zouleika could be the new standard for Stronghold Might/Magic decks, with good spell schools and a neat ability that can really put a crimp on magic-abusing opponents. Their fortunes are the usual mixed bag- Ancestral Guidance is crap, Outraging Vision would be fantastic for Kelthor if it wasn't stupidly overpriced against all possible reason but it is so it sucks, Desperate Assault is interesting and Rushing Assault is potentially awesome in the right deck, which is still more than you can say for the load they got in HotV. Their creatures lack any of the really awesome standouts like Blackskull Crusher or Blackskull Shredder, but they did get some nice cards that are likely to be staples of play- Kelthor decks are going to LOVE Sahaar Brute, Sahaar Marauder is a real treat thanks to its combination of Swift and 6 HP, Cowardly Gnoll gives you some GREAT stats for a cheap price and isn't quite as vulnerable as Blackskull Goblin and while Zefiria's stats are fairly uninmpressive, her ability is potentially game-winning- it's hard to realise exactly how powerful an ability Swift is and getting it on a creature of your choice every turn is devastating. Unfortunately Sahaar Hunter doesn't impress much (overall stats are just too bad) and Sahaar Harpy is pure garbage.

2: Haven.
FW was a tasty treat for Haven players. First of, Morgan is a pretty nasty hero. Incidental life gain is the thing that can swing a game and his spell schools are pretty nice too as Ishuma has shown. All of their creatures range from solid (Crusader Captain, Crusader Treasurer) to intriguing (Scattershot Marksman, Crusader Chaplain, Crusader Watchman) to "OMFG WHAT THE HELL WERE THEY THINGKING THIS FRIGGIN' THING IS STUPID OP!" (Anael, Angel of Redemption). Seriously, Anael is pretty much the exact opposite of Necropolis' worthless Damran, the Tainted- where Damran was overcosted, under-statted and had a lousy ability, Anael is UNDERcosted, OVER-statted and has an INCREDIBLE ability. Seriously, it's like they weren't even TRYING to balance these cards! The main thing keeping Haven from the top spot in Forgotten Wars was the fact that their fortunes -ALL of them- are completely and utterly worthless (seriously, all 4 of them are AWFUL) and a little creature called Sayama Spy...

1: Sanctuary.
What. The. Actual. F*CK! Guys? Do the devs actually have ANY idea how important card advantage is in this game at ALL? Well, considering the game's Original Sin of giving ALL the heroes cheap, easy card drawing as a default ability, I should say not, but they're clearly not learning. It's hard to find the words to explain how stupid OP Sayama Spy is. Decent stats (the 5 HP is the only thing that matters really), WAY too cheap at 3R, 3M, with an ability that would make most EPICS turn green with envy (it doesn't even have to HIT to give you a free card, just attack) and it's a COMMON!? Seriously? Even leaving that aside, Sanctuary got a huge boost this set. Sayama Stalker finally gives them a tasty 2-drop shooter (whose only drawback is going to be finding a way to fit her into their already crowded shooter lineup) capable of taking out anything 4-HP or less they try to drop to block her, Sayama Champion is brutally good value for resource (being a potential 3/3/6 for only 3R, 2M), Sayama Dune Prowler is a good solid 4-drop with ambush and decent stats as well as being their first melee Outmanever creature other than Nyorai Sairensa and Raya, Sibilant Seductress is one of the best unique creatures in the expansion (although having to go up against Anael, Hasafah and Nur is pretty tough), especially if you team her up with Nyorai to completely OWN a row. And unlike Haven, all 4 of their fortunes are at least playable, while Honour Binds us is probably verging on OP and is going to single-handedly make Takana Osore a serious contender. Road to Enlightenment can lead to SERIOUS card advantage, Sinkhole is better than Whirlpool by virtue of being a cantrip and Zen Garden can provide some pretty good safety in the late game if you can afford it. The only odd thing is the way the devs think bouncing their own creatures is Sanctuary's "thing" with the new hero and the Sayama Warden, when it's not really a "strategy" by any means. Sanctuary really brought it home this time- but honestly, Sayama spy?! What were they THINKING...?

The Rest of the Stuff:
There was some pretty good stuff in the neutrals department this time. The creatures contained the usual mass of pointless garbage (Burning Sand Elemental, Sahaar Bedouin, Cactus Thing) but Greater Air Elemental may be the first PLAYABLE elemental (Swift on a flyer is something that shouldn't be overlooked) and Sahaar Skirmisher is interesting for being able to penetrate even the tightest of defences. Soothsayer completes the trinity of unique search creatures and while the jury is still out on Moon Phoenix (its poor stats are a REALLY bad drawback) it has potential. There were some nice fortunes as well, including Black Fang Extorsion (seriously Ubisoft, how much would it take for you to SPELL CHECK these things?), Time of Need and Fortune Telling, but I think Cosmic Singularity is something that they shouldn't have printed- heroes with "discard a card" ability costs are already starting to abuse the hell out of it. Secon Chance, unfortunately, reinforces the old stereotype that neutral cards are just garbage versions of faction cards- while it's THEORETICALLY nice that every deck now has potential access to creature recycle, it's overpriced and STUPIDLY limited in it application (it can't even save creatures that your opponent killed on their turn). Probably the MOST significant new neutral card is Rise of the Nethermancer, a BRUTALLY unsubtle attempt to destroy graveyard recursion as a viable strategy. Probably a step too far if you ask me.

SPELLS
7: Dark.
Just to REALLY rub it in to Necropolis players, their trademark magic school gets a load of total rubbish too. 2 worthless hexes and an inferior version of Puppet Master. Well done. The design team don't really seem to get that Dark's single-target creature kill makes cards like Shared Agony and Cursed Bound (again, no spellchecker?) COMPLETELY redundant, even if they WEREN'T overpriced. Enthrall is actually a really nice, balanced card, described by the devs as "what Puppet Master should have originally been". However, since they didn't actually NERF Puppet Master in this expansion and it's still COMPLETELY superior to Enthrall in every way (no, 1 less resource cost is NOT a worthwhile tradeoff for being able to be dispelled) there's no reason to use this card at all- unless you're going for some stupid creatureless stall strategy which would include 4 copies of both it AND Puppet Master. You git.

6: Light.
1 worthless spell (auras are bad by default and Heal isn't a great ability), 1 overpriced conditional damage spell and one direct healing card (with ANOTHER misspelled name) that is ONLY good as a follow-up to your own mass-nukes (what a pity Light get no hero with earth magic). Nothing much to see here, although at least you MIGHT find a use for Lay of Hands (it's supposed to be Lay ON Hands, like the D&D paladin ability!) in certain circumstances. Maybe you can get Divine Judgement to work for you, but I kind of doubt it.

5: Fire.
Yay, Fire Spikes! Seriously, Fire Blast is the LEAST creative spell they've EVER released, with literally no differences between it and Ice Spikes apart from elemental damage type (big deal, who uses Greater Fire Elementals anyway?). And Ice Spikes is weak, which is why almost nobody uses it. And that's BESIDES the fact that Fire already has better cards. Fiery Death is completely worthless (it encourages your opponent to spread out their creatures which, since you're playing Fire, they'll already be doing, but unlike Fireball can't even be used to kill or even DAMAGE a single threat) and was basically a total waste of a card. Mass Rage is a crazy spell and was really only included so Asalah players (the only hero to get both Fire and Water access) can use it with Focused Mind and sneer at your rage towards her total cheesiness. It otherwise has little to no use, but that combo potential is enough to push Fire ahead of Light. You cheap git.

4: Earth.
Weird load of stuff Earth got this time. Sand Shield is one of the few semidecent auras in the game (largely thanks to its 1 magic requirement) and can negate the likes of poison, Combustion, Immolation etc, really absorbing quite a lot of damage. Combined with Stronghold's Magic Resist creatures or The Might of Nature it can really end up quite annoying. Mass Earth Bound is a really weird card, considerably overpriced for what it does (which isn't really much), it feels like it was printed solely to be used in a cheeseball combo with Throne of Renewal. Deep Roots looks like it was designed to combo with The Might of Nature as well- although it affects enemy melees, it still protects yours from bounce and Puppet Master, which can potentially make your army almost invincible. While I don't like this emphasis on lamer combos, it's at least interesting.

3: Air.
Some nice stuff here. Air Trap is the first one-shot area enchant that might actually be worth using- although the 3 magic requirement is steep, it's cheap at 1 resource and unlike most others it enchants a LINE, not a row. Its effect is also hard to ignore, outright NUKING the first flyer the enemy drops under it. It's a gamble, but it may produce dividends against certain opponents. Homebound Winds was supposedly the devs' attempt to give Air a 'Soulreaver'-type card, which is puzzling because it's HOPELESS compared to Soulreaver- overpriced and doesn't even kill the target. Still, it at least fulfills its appointed role of removing a single target NOW without relying on damage (key against targets with Spell Resist). Finally, Forked Lightning is as pricey as spells come, but WHAT AN EFFECT! It's more of a board wipe spell of the likes that Fire usually get than the usual Air single-target damage. Expensive, but you pay for what you get. Thank god the devs resisted the temptation to release more lousy creature moving spells in this set (The Song of the Lost is the ONLY one that's ever been worth using, and even that's only because of Ice Spikes abusiveness).

2: Primal.
Ugh, MORE utility for the school that already rules in utility? Void Ripple is expensive, but sick- ANY card except an untargetable (e.g Day of the Sanctuary) or Blackskull Crusher is gone for good. Creature, spell, fortune, gone. Well, that about puts the tin lid on it. Nether Soul turns any creature into a 0/0 mini-Hellfire Maniac (albeit without the auto-Berserk effect). There's probably not much use for it, especially at its price, but it's fun to drop on a Darkwoods Treant, or a really huge enemy creature like Shi-no-Shi. Finally Spirited Away is versatile and interesting. Want to protect your Void Arbiter, Eleonore, or Shanriya Priestess from getting pounded into paste or shot to bits? Boom, immune to creature attacks. Want to get that annoying Lilim out of your way to finish your opponent off? Boom, it's helpless. The versatility to be used as an aura OR a hex makes it worthwhile and it's not overpriced either.

1: Water.
Well this was a surprise! Cold Fear isn't much use, to be honest, it's too easy to boost creatures up to 3 power and it only affects 1 row, but there may be some gimmick potential there somewhere. The real treats are the other 2. Focused Mind is, as mentioned, UNFAIR when combined with Mass Rage (thank god only 1 hero can do it) but is also a great counter to things like Altar of Shadows, Hellfire Maniacs and a selection of other stall cards. But it's Ink Warrior that's the set's standout spell. Yes, at 5R/4M it's expensive and it can't clone unique creatures (thank GOD!) but you have to consider how POWERFUL that level of versatility is. It can be a Banshee. It can be a Naga Tide Master. It can be a Surging Titan. It can be an Immaculate Glory. No matter what creature power you have in your deck, as long as they're not unique this card can double it. Hell, it's even theoretically possible to use 4 copies of a flyer and 4 copies of this card to fill your entire lineup with 8 copies of the same creature (I like to fantasize about Ghost Dragon). It's the best spell in the set and it pushes Water to the top spot.

Feedback? Thoughts? Opinions? Agree? Disagree? Go right ahead.

amoshias
09-29-2013, 06:43 PM
Good review - I think you captured the set pretty well.

I have no idea why you're so excited about Ink Warrior, though. Shadow Image is so good because it gives quick attack. it's strong when you're behind - it helps you catch up, going 2 for 1 and taking the pressure off. Or, it can be used as a finisher, or for any of the things you're talking about. Ink Warrior, on the other hand, is a classic "win more" card. If you've got a big creature with a coming into play ability sitting on the table - when you've got enough might to play it and enough magic to cast Ink Warrior - chances are you're already winning the game. Sure, there are limited applications - there are no doubt going to be games where you need an outmaneuver creature to win the game, or a banshee, or whatever... but those games are few and far between. This will probably get relegated to the junk rare pile.

CytherSlash
09-29-2013, 07:10 PM
5: Necropolis.
Seriously, there are maybe 2 cards in the entire set for Necro that are even vaguely playable (A Life For A Life and Death Is Not The End) and even they are honestly not very good!

Death is not the end is way more then just vaguely playable.
when you have 2 or more, you can shut down otk decks completly. thats exactly, what seria, fleshbane and malik needed.

ArcaneAzmadi
09-29-2013, 11:28 PM
Good review - I think you captured the set pretty well.

I have no idea why you're so excited about Ink Warrior, though. Shadow Image is so good because it gives quick attack. it's strong when you're behind - it helps you catch up, going 2 for 1 and taking the pressure off. Or, it can be used as a finisher, or for any of the things you're talking about. Ink Warrior, on the other hand, is a classic "win more" card. If you've got a big creature with a coming into play ability sitting on the table - when you've got enough might to play it and enough magic to cast Ink Warrior - chances are you're already winning the game. Sure, there are limited applications - there are no doubt going to be games where you need an outmaneuver creature to win the game, or a banshee, or whatever... but those games are few and far between. This will probably get relegated to the junk rare pile.

Hmm. Shadow Image IS strong -I'd probably consider it slightly overpowered- but I'd question whether Ink Warrior is a "win more" card. Yes, it IS expensive, but I don't necessarily think that having a single clone-worthy creature in play automatically counts as "winning" (if it does, that's a pretty sad statement about the state of the game). In my mind, Ink Warrior is capable of converting a strong position into a winning one- having, for example, a Vampire Lord in play is good, but manageable, it can be chump blocked or worn down. Having two Vampire Lords is a whole different story. It's like... what's that term they use to describe multiplication of force in armoured warfare? The square rule? You're not doubling your power, you're potentially squaring it.

Of course, that's just my opinion on the card. I value versatility very highly and there are few cards more versatile (Shadow Image, strong as it is, is dependant on the creatures your OPPONENT plays for its effectiveness, making it far less controllable).

Banehollow89
09-29-2013, 11:42 PM
Death is not the end is way more then just vaguely playable.
when you have 2 or more, you can shut down otk decks completly. thats exactly, what seria, fleshbane and malik needed.

How exactly can you shut down OTK decks with Death is not the End?

ArcaneAzmadi
09-30-2013, 12:20 AM
Oh what the hell, here's my Top 5 non-Academy cards for the set (I'm still treating Academy completely seperately), as well as my Honourable Mention and Worst Card:

5. Raya, Sibilant Succubus
You may notice that 3 of these top 5 cards are Sanctuary. No surprise there. Raya is awesome, the perfect centerpiece to Sanctuary's collection of incredible magic shooters. She may not have the Pearl Priestess' Outmaneuver, but she's tougher, has a lower Might requirement and her ability is simply INCREDIBLE. Immune to Retaliation herself, she can also prevent any blocker put in front of her from striking back, letting her dominate any lane you put her in, and she can make even creatures as powerful as Shi-no-Shi look completely impotent. And this ability is FREE. As I noted above, team her up with Nyorai Sairensa and they opponent had better be able to nuke them down or the game is basically over.

4. Honour Binds Us
4 cost fortunes generally have to be pretty powerful to be worth using, but it can be easy to overlook how AWESOME this card can be. Consider Takana Osore and the Void Rising fortune Honoured Land (gives all your creatures +X/+X where X is their honour rating). Consider that honour stacks on itself (if you set up a 4-creature T formation when you drop this, the middle creature gets +3/+3 from the creatures around it. This is a deathblow card and may single-handedly be enough to immediately shoot Takana Osore up to high tier viability.

3. Rise of the Nethermancer
This is the kind of card they probably SHOULDN'T have printed. Taking graveyard hate up to CRAZY levels, this event is a direct kick in the balls to Necro decks and was honestly pretty silly to release in the same expansion they introduced a whole lot of graveyard effects. With no effective drawback if you're not playing any graveyard-themed cards of you own, this card can be a thorn in the side of even non-Necro decks- it's hard to play Moon Phoenix when your graveyard is empty, Cosmic Singularity is going to give you back every card except that unique spell you were hoping to tutor for again and graveyard stacking fortunes like Escalating Madness and Road to Enlightenment become almost useless. Capable of single-handedly shutting down an entire FIELD of strategy, this card was almost certainly a mistake by the devs and will probably need a cost nerf at least.

2. Anael, Angel of Redemption
This card. This is what stupid OP looks like. The devs clearly didn't even TRY to balance Anael- a 3/3/6 magic flyer with Immune to Retaliation and Charge for a mere 4R/4Mi/1Ma?! Even BEFORE you factor in her ability, that's clearly one of the best creatures in the game. Then you factor in her ability. Oh god. A full heal AND counter purge every turn for free? Well, the devs really didn't to miss ANY opportunity to say "f*ck you" to Necropolis this time, did they? And like Raya, thanks to her immunity to retaliation, there's no risk involved in taking this free gift. Your blockers will last FOREVER. The opponent had better have some D*MN good direct creature kill or that can put their head between their legs and kiss their butt goodbye.

1. Sayama Spy
You ever see a card where you take one glance at it and say "yup, that thing's OP". Usually it's a rare or even an epic, right? Like Anael there? Well Sayama Spy, the single most OP creature ever released in this game, is a COMMON. How about that? You may think I'm crazy putting a 2/0/5 3-drop non-magic melee with a fairly simple ability ahead of cards like Anael and Raya, but that's because you don't understand the value of card advantage. Cards. Win. Games. It may seem like an obvious thing to say (it's a Collectible CARD Game), but it's easy to overlook it- card drawing is one of the most powerful abilities in the game and this card makes it easier than ANY other. It's cheaper than Blind Brother, tougher, easier to play and can actually DO something with its 2 attack. Giving it 5 HP was frankly an insane move because this is a creature that can give you an insurmountable advantage just by remaining on the board for 2 or 3 turns in the early game, while still being valuable in the late. Cards are ALWAYS good (unless you're about to get milled out), and free cards are always better, which means Sayama Spy is always fantastic.

Honourable Mention: Ink Warrior.
As I mentioned above, I really think highly of this card. The sheer versatility of it allows you to turn a strong position into an almost unassailable one, doubling up on the beef or the utility when you need it most. Its cost may limit its use in competative play a bit, but like my honourable mention from the last expansion (Seria's Last Order) it's the kind of card that you'll find winning you games. Time will tell.

Worst Card: Inexhautible Mine
The graveyard stacking cycle are pretty lousy cards to start with- usually overpriced and too weak to be effective until you get enough of them out. Only Path to Enlightenment and Escalating Madness are really even PLAYABLE (see above for my notes on the power of card advantage). But Inexhaustible Mine is by FAR the worst, a card so stupidly flawed that it's hard to believe the devs even thought to release it. Why is it so bad? Overpriced and underpowered as they are, at least the other graveyard stacking cards DO something when you play them- Harvesting the Dead gives you a creature back, Ancestral Guidance gives you +1 attack, Unravelled Fate knocks a card out of your opponent's deck. But the first copy of Inexhaustible Mine you play does literally NOTHING- it costs 2 resource and gives you 2 resource. You are literally throwing away a card. The 2nd copy gives you a 2-resource bonus, the 3rd gives you 4 and the 4th 6, but there are only so many cards you can waste on this crap and this card crosses the line from "useless" into "harmful" with the first copy you play. Only a fool would use this.
(NOTE: I (obviously) haven't played Inexhaustible Mine myself, so I'm not 100% certain that the graveyard stacking cycle cards don't count themselves when checking the graveyard, in which case the 1st copy of Inexhaustible Mine would give you 4R, not 2. If it does that'd be enough to push it off the bottom spot to make room for the awful Dunes of Madness or possibly Rotting Mummy, but until I hear otherwise this card gets the spot.)

Presumably by stacking fodder cards like Gold Pile back on top of their deck so they can't draw the more useful cards they need to hold you off, while simultaneously replacing the creatures they've been nuking away from you. It's a limited use and not reliable, but it's something.

aragon82
09-30-2013, 10:07 AM
Dark Magic: Cursed Bound is the only new card I put into my existing Adar-Malik-Deck. Nice in mid-game to "lock" a strong creature or force opponent for a little self-mutilation.
An 3+ attack creature in an empty row is a tradeoff with this enchant.

I've tried a few games with "Damran"....well after I removed him from my deck, feels the same, nothing missed.
Only 1 or 2 situations where that extra poison-counter killed a creature. The only positive thing: epic = 1st target, so nearly every opponent used removal-spells, discards, "Rise of the Nethermancer" etc. against him and so an other(more important) creature survived, stay in hand/graveyard. Maybe if the majority will recognize how overpriced this Unique is this will change.

Pjovejas
09-30-2013, 11:38 AM
1. Sayama Spy
You ever see a card where you take one glance at it and say "yup, that thing's OP". Usually it's a rare or even an epic, right? Like Anael there? Well Sayama Spy, the single most OP creature ever released in this game, is a COMMON. How about that? You may think I'm crazy putting a 2/0/5 3-drop non-magic melee with a fairly simple ability ahead of cards like Anael and Raya, but that's because you don't understand the value of card advantage. Cards. Win. Games. It may seem like an obvious thing to say (it's a Collectible CARD Game), but it's easy to overlook it- card drawing is one of the most powerful abilities in the game and this card makes it easier than ANY other. It's cheaper than Blind Brother, tougher, easier to play and can actually DO something with its 2 attack. Giving it 5 HP was frankly an insane move because this is a creature that can give you an insurmountable advantage just by remaining on the board for 2 or 3 turns in the early game, while still being valuable in the late. Cards are ALWAYS good (unless you're about to get milled out), and free cards are always better, which means Sayama Spy is always fantastic.

I almost agree on this... And "almost" is only because I'm still not sure what new expansion will give us in other fields, when dust of "fresh impression" will settle...

hubin23
09-30-2013, 12:07 PM
I also don't see Ink Warrior as a good card. I tried to run it, but never felt using it.
It is a 5 resource 4 requirement card. If it would be a creature card, it should be something really good. As for Ink Warrior, you even need something good on the board in order to play it. So as for now, I don't see it good enough to be included in a deck.

Completely agree on Sayama Spy though, it is just too good. For example, just compare it with the Fate Sealer...

Pjovejas
09-30-2013, 12:59 PM
I have a question related to Honourd binds Us: does this fortune gives aditional 1 honour, or that 1 honour replaces creature's honour?

ArcaneAzmadi
09-30-2013, 02:06 PM
I have a question related to Honourd binds Us: does this fortune gives aditional 1 honour, or that 1 honour replaces creature's honour?

I can't say 100% for sure as I haven't got a copy of it myself yet, but I'm almost CERTAIN it gives +1 honour too all your Sanctuary creatues (Shark Guard and Kabuki Tei become Honour 2, Kenshi and Naga Warrior become Honour 3 and Kensei becomes a staggering Honour 4). You ever placed Renegeration or Sylvanna's Embrace on a creature that already regenerates? It just makes it regenerate even more.

Now all Takana Osore needs is an honour creature that can be deployed on the shooter line and he's golden.

Pjovejas
09-30-2013, 02:14 PM
IYou ever placed Renegeration or Sylvanna's Embrace on a creature that already regenerates? It just makes it regenerate even more.

Wrong example. Regeneration is one, but this spell says "creatures gain honour 1". For example in MtG it would meant that their honour is 1; (adition honour would be experesed something like "gets aditional +1 honour"). That's why I'm asking...

ArcaneAzmadi
09-30-2013, 03:38 PM
Wrong example. Regeneration is one, but this spell says "creatures gain honour 1". For example in MtG it would meant that their honour is 1; (adition honour would be experesed something like "gets aditional +1 honour"). That's why I'm asking...

Actually, based on the PRECISE wording, I think it'd mean that an honour creature would have honour TWICE- a Kenshi for example would probably have Honour 2 AND Honour 1, which is functionally identical to Honour 3. Since it says "gain", I assume it doesn't necessarily overwrite existing Honour.

Really though, the only way to find out for sure is to do it.

Freyjan
09-30-2013, 04:00 PM
Glad to see others are starting to recognize Sayama Spy as super strong. As soon as it was revealed on the twitch spoiler I knew it would easily be one of the top 5 cards in the set and I don't think I was wrong. The fact that it was common boggles the mind. I originally thought the card said it would let you draw a card when it attacked a hero, and heck that would still be playable.

But on every attack? Luls all over the place. At least they were intelligent enough to not give it any retaliation, but it should probably only have 4 HP. You play him on curve in an empty row and nearly every time he will replace himself at bare minimum while making your opponent have to deal with him. So goooood :o

CytherSlash
09-30-2013, 07:22 PM

you need at least 2 of them. you give them cards back that dont help them defend, while you take back the second death is not the end. you draw and repeat.
that way he will never draw new cards, and cant defend longer. only works if you have creatures on board of cause.

kittiegocrunch
10-01-2013, 01:36 AM

If it acts like mass regeneration (which I believe is worded the same) then the honour increments on itself.

Psychobabble.au
10-01-2013, 11:09 AM
I'm not even sure honor binds us is good (it's pseudo-overrun without the trample, almost the definition of a win more card in constructed) but I'm pretty sure it's not in the top 5 of the set. Interesting posts though, thanks for the thoughts.

Banehollow89
10-01-2013, 11:50 AM
I'm not even sure honor binds us is good (it's pseudo-overrun without the trample, almost the definition of a win more card in constructed) but I'm pretty sure it's not in the top 5 of the set. Interesting posts though, thanks for the thoughts.

It is quite good actually, maybe not in the top 5, but it is really good, as M0rw47h said, it is close to Mass Inner Fire. If you are playing against deck that has no way to punish creature stacking(that doesn't have some AoE like Geyser and Fireball), it is really pain in the ***. I played against Takane that used Honor Bind us 4x in like 5 turns, and every turn his creatures that were attacking for 2-4 were attacking for 4-7 damage.
The drawback is that you have to have creatures clumped up together for this to have the effect, which can be quite problematic, but whole Sanctuary faction is played that way if you are going for honor builds.