PDA

View Full Version : I don't understand Ubisoft's next-gen strategy ...

killzab
09-26-2013, 02:55 PM
I don't understand why Ubisoft keeps releasing videos of their games, and AC4 in particular, running on PS4 when a HUGE majority of gamers will play it on current gen consoles.

Let's say AC4 sells as well as AC3, which is 18 million units I think, then next-gen sales will represent something like 2 million units at most, so only 11% of total sales.

That means 89% of people will play a game that looks worse than EVERY single video released until today.

The problem comes from the fact that the current gen version will be out MUCH earlier than the next gen version.

How many of you will be able to wait almost a month to play the game with just better graphics, when everything else is EXACTLY the same ?

Why didn't Ubisoft just show the current gen versions until their release and just before or after the 31st of October, show what the game is going to look like on PS4 and XOne, like the next-gen tech video shown recently ?

I just learned that saves won't carry over from PS3 to PS4 even if you do the "convert to ps4/xone" thing so that's even one less reason to upgrade your game to the newer version...

All I'm saying is that many people mght be disappointed in how the game looks, expecting it to look like the videos.

roostersrule2
09-26-2013, 03:17 PM
AC3 sold 12 million.

Also after it's sold it's sold, so Ubi make their money from people thinking that's what they'll be getting, which it pretty much is, the only difference is the graphics and the more immersive traits of the game. They showed next gen because it's there best version, if you owned a caryard and wanted to sell them would you use your best or worst cars as advertisement?

It's not as if they're upgrading the graphics purely for the video, that's just their best version.

pirate1802
09-26-2013, 03:26 PM
Well, PC playa here.. so I don't care either way!

Farlander1991
09-26-2013, 03:44 PM
AC3 should be sold more than 12 million by now, those are the numbers for February 2012. Thanks to Steam sales and stuff like that there should be a lot more digital (untracked) purchases by now. Though it's unlikely that it got to 18 million.

guardian_titan
09-26-2013, 03:48 PM
It's common sense. The next gen consoles show the game off in the best possible way. If you want to show something off, don't you think it makes more sense to show it off in the best possible way and not gimp it by limiting something? Ubisoft could be showing the game off on PC to show it at its best, but we all know the PC version tends to get delayed and ends up on the back burner to the console version until that one is closer to completion. AC3 got a lot of flak on a lot of things. I doubt Ubisoft wants AC4 to get flak for graphics by showing it on the current gen console when they can get people excited for next gen and their new game at the same time by showing how pretty the game looks on next gen. Some people will buy the game for current gen and decide later they want next gen and will rebuy the game for next gen just to get the better graphics.

This is no different than PC games where they are always shown off with the best possible graphic card, but when you buy it, it rarely if ever looks that way on your system because you don't have the latest card or the developers were using graphic settings not available to consumers when demoing the game. You either have to deal with it or buy a new card ... or possibly a whole new computer. You want top end graphics, etc, you have to buy top end. Otherwise you can't whine because your game doesn't look as good as what's shown because your hardware isn't the same. Some people don't care for graphics while others do so those that do will make the jump to buy a new graphics card (or console) sooner than those that don't care for graphics. And due to the way the market is, seems more people do care for graphics or else we'd still be playing on Ataris with 2-byte graphics because systems like the.Nintendo, etc wouldn't have sold.

Carrot meet stick.

Also possible they got some deal with Sony to show off AC4 on PS4 exclusively or something. :p

dxsxhxcx
09-26-2013, 04:43 PM
they do this because they want you to buy a PS4/XBOX ONE...

pacmanate
09-26-2013, 05:06 PM
Well it makes sense? If there is a new console coming out, why wouldn't you show off what you can do on it?

/Thread.

Jexx21
09-26-2013, 05:06 PM
ubisoft has said that more pre-orders for AC4 have been for next-gen consoles rather than current-gen

Bastiaen
09-26-2013, 05:45 PM
I'm waiting to play it on x1. I don't relish waiting, but I look forward to the new console (which I'd have bought anyway).

STDlyMcStudpants
09-26-2013, 09:56 PM
There arent that many Day 1 releases for the non casual gamer. (COD and Battlefield)
So with AC they have it on lock..and if ac isnt your thing theres watch dogs..aka Grand Theft Arkhams Creed
Ubi is doing pretty awesome if you ask me.

I see people picking up AC IV twice just because they have nothing else better to play on the console they just spent 400-500 USD on (Hence the beautiful upgrade program)

But I will bet anything that AC IV does ACR + AC3 /2 numbers
They will do in between....it isnt as flashy as AC3 was....Even I'm not "that" excited and im a massive ac fanboy lol