PDA

View Full Version : Ubi-Soft Should Learn the Pro's and Con's As the Consumers See Them

Siege_Dog
02-11-2004, 12:19 AM
Firstly, I would like to congratulate Ubi-Soft for creating IL2 which is, without doubt, the greatest flight sim created bar none. As a consumer of the end product, I find IL2 & FB are highly playable simulations and will likely be succesful throughout this decade and if other designers pay attention to popularity, IL2 & FB are likely to set the benchmark for flight sims to come. My only hope is that the good people at Ubi-Soft read this e-mail and that others also write their own opinions as to the creation of titles to come.

I would like to bring to Ubi-Soft's attention CFS3's attention toward pilot's abilities. As an example I know that throughout Aerobatics training, your "G" Tolerance improves along with your aircraft handling ability. Another example is that Chuck Yaeger was quoted as having 24/20 eyesight and this shows that the ability to identify enemy aircraft early is also an excellent trait to improve on. The ability to improve these traits through a computer game is insightful to the improvement and direction for the flight sim genre to take. It is unfortunate that this is the only pro that I can extrapolate from Microsoft's surprisingly abysmal effort. I think that it is important to recognise and build on this throughout the industry as it has added a level of RPG aspect to the flight sim genre and for those of us with little intention of online gaming, it adds a level of achievment which is seldom recognised in the flight sim world. Flight sims can lose some of their flare when you've shot down 300 enemy aircraft and received all the honours a grateful despotism can bestow upon you. Also, with climbing through the ranks of an airforce, there is often little reward other than to command a flight of like-minded zealots rather than follow them. With trait improvement, your ability to excell yourself in a sim improves as does the ability for enemy aces to render havoc with your forces.

Another point I would like to add is that there is a lack of a strong, Korean War flight simulator. I think that with the creation of IL2 and FB, Ubi-Soft has uniquely positioned itself as the new strength in flight sim creation as IL2 has easily distanced itself from any other flight simulator ever created. During the last 10 years it has become very hit/miss to get a good sim but Ubi-Soft has recently highlighted their capabilities to the consumer and with the collapse of Microsoft, we now have a new pack-leader. The Korean War posed many varied scenarios for the early jet pilots of both sides of the conflict. I also believe that the high performance piston engined aircraft and the early, sub-sonic jets and early US Navy Carrier Jets are a relatively un-tapped gold mine for flight sim enthusiasts. During the last fifteen years the market has been swamped with WWII and Modern Jet sims but there have been very few simulators dedicated to 1950s combat jets. Due to the lack of BVR capabilities and the sub-sonic speeds of this era of jets, the high quality graphics that Ubi-Soft produce would be used to full effect in an up-close and personal jet sim. I think it's time somebody took advantage of this hole in the market place and I believe that Ubi Soft are the people to do it.

There are more things that I have seen done both well and poorly in simulators thoughout the years but I never really set out to write an essay. I would like to invite other people to add their own ideas in the hope that Ubi-Soft can gain some insight into the things that we, as gamers have appreciated and hated in sims. I am always confident that regardless of how poor a simulator is, there is always an aspect which has worked well or has had potential wasted in the wrong hands. Often this potential could have been improved and built on if only people had a localised forum to express their opinion and direct the ideas directly to the people that we believe have the ability to create the product properly.

I am personally satisfied that I've expressed my own opinion as best I can and now I'm going to go and put my two typing fingers under an ice-pack and chomp on the bit in anticipation of the Ace Expansion Pack for FB.

Thank you,

Siege_Dog
02-11-2004, 12:19 AM
Firstly, I would like to congratulate Ubi-Soft for creating IL2 which is, without doubt, the greatest flight sim created bar none. As a consumer of the end product, I find IL2 & FB are highly playable simulations and will likely be succesful throughout this decade and if other designers pay attention to popularity, IL2 & FB are likely to set the benchmark for flight sims to come. My only hope is that the good people at Ubi-Soft read this e-mail and that others also write their own opinions as to the creation of titles to come.

I would like to bring to Ubi-Soft's attention CFS3's attention toward pilot's abilities. As an example I know that throughout Aerobatics training, your "G" Tolerance improves along with your aircraft handling ability. Another example is that Chuck Yaeger was quoted as having 24/20 eyesight and this shows that the ability to identify enemy aircraft early is also an excellent trait to improve on. The ability to improve these traits through a computer game is insightful to the improvement and direction for the flight sim genre to take. It is unfortunate that this is the only pro that I can extrapolate from Microsoft's surprisingly abysmal effort. I think that it is important to recognise and build on this throughout the industry as it has added a level of RPG aspect to the flight sim genre and for those of us with little intention of online gaming, it adds a level of achievment which is seldom recognised in the flight sim world. Flight sims can lose some of their flare when you've shot down 300 enemy aircraft and received all the honours a grateful despotism can bestow upon you. Also, with climbing through the ranks of an airforce, there is often little reward other than to command a flight of like-minded zealots rather than follow them. With trait improvement, your ability to excell yourself in a sim improves as does the ability for enemy aces to render havoc with your forces.

Another point I would like to add is that there is a lack of a strong, Korean War flight simulator. I think that with the creation of IL2 and FB, Ubi-Soft has uniquely positioned itself as the new strength in flight sim creation as IL2 has easily distanced itself from any other flight simulator ever created. During the last 10 years it has become very hit/miss to get a good sim but Ubi-Soft has recently highlighted their capabilities to the consumer and with the collapse of Microsoft, we now have a new pack-leader. The Korean War posed many varied scenarios for the early jet pilots of both sides of the conflict. I also believe that the high performance piston engined aircraft and the early, sub-sonic jets and early US Navy Carrier Jets are a relatively un-tapped gold mine for flight sim enthusiasts. During the last fifteen years the market has been swamped with WWII and Modern Jet sims but there have been very few simulators dedicated to 1950s combat jets. Due to the lack of BVR capabilities and the sub-sonic speeds of this era of jets, the high quality graphics that Ubi-Soft produce would be used to full effect in an up-close and personal jet sim. I think it's time somebody took advantage of this hole in the market place and I believe that Ubi Soft are the people to do it.

There are more things that I have seen done both well and poorly in simulators thoughout the years but I never really set out to write an essay. I would like to invite other people to add their own ideas in the hope that Ubi-Soft can gain some insight into the things that we, as gamers have appreciated and hated in sims. I am always confident that regardless of how poor a simulator is, there is always an aspect which has worked well or has had potential wasted in the wrong hands. Often this potential could have been improved and built on if only people had a localised forum to express their opinion and direct the ideas directly to the people that we believe have the ability to create the product properly.

I am personally satisfied that I've expressed my own opinion as best I can and now I'm going to go and put my two typing fingers under an ice-pack and chomp on the bit in anticipation of the Ace Expansion Pack for FB.

Thank you,

xTHRUDx
02-11-2004, 01:22 AM
"Firstly, I would like to congratulate Ubi-Soft for creating IL2 "

Oleg Maddox of 1C created il-2, UBI just distributed it.

tsisqua
02-11-2004, 01:31 AM
A very inteligent post from a new forum member. Not realizing that Ubisoft is not the actual creator doesn't detract from the well written essay (although the title was a bit superfluous) that was just posted here.

Hopefully you will stay and frequent this forum often. Your opinions are shared by many of us, and you have worded it in a way that 1C Maddox games (as well as Ubi) like to hear.

Welcome to our little corner.

Tsisqua

http://server5.uploadit.org/files/tsisqua-nedChristie.jpg
Tsalagi Asgaya Galvladi

Old_Canuck
02-11-2004, 01:57 AM
A lot of us share your enthusiasm for IL2 FB, cwestman.

However, I don't think for a moment that Microsoft has collapsed in the combat flight sim genre unless they have chosen to "throw in the towel" for their own reasons. They have a wealth of talented people and resources behind them to create a world class combat flight simulator. The big question is -- do they really want to create a world class combat flight simulator?

OC

"You don't stop playing because you grow old, you grow old because you stop playing."

kfurni
02-11-2004, 01:59 AM
I could'nt agree more Cwestman, we need a Korean sim, a new 'Mig Alley'. I do believe that Ubi soft/Maddox are the only people to do this sim and do it well.

I have just placed Mig Alley back on my drive and I forgot how good it was, dated now I will admit(eye candy wise) but still very emersive. I do love jets of that era no missiles just guns. The only sim that comes close to a Korean sim is Strike fighter but that has something lacking not sure what but something just does'nt feel right. The thing that I like about Ubisoft/Maddox is that the program is tamper proof and only the best models ect are put in with the best flight data available. Some models that are placed in other flight sims by 3rd parties may not be to accurate, flight data wise only being based on other aircraft within the sim. No disrespect intended to the modelers. I do know that if Ubi/Maddox was to produce a new sim it would be of the highest standards.

Yes, we need a new 'Mig Alley'.