PDA

View Full Version : I'm wary of Black Flag's glitchiness...

killzab
09-23-2013, 04:08 PM
Considering how glitchy AC3 was...

I fear that the problems come from the Anvilnext engine which might actually be a good-looking pile of crap.

Seeing how ACIV uses the same one. I just hope they ironed it out a lot. Black Flag looks stellar, but at the same time, if we can't play for 5 minutes without seeing 10 visual glitches, it will be for nothing.

I am 90% certain that many gameplay problems in AC3 came from that glitchiness.

For example, the notoriety system was complete BS !!! everytime I air-assassinated a guard on a rooftop, I was praying that I wouldn't alert the single guard a hundred meters from us ! Whenever we were running incognito in New-York, an alert would start with no reason, forcing us to stay at Level 1 constantly to avoid this EXTREMELY annoying glitch.

Another example is the ambient music, I am almost sure it is simply a bug. The devs have ALWAYS refused to answer our questions on the subject. If it was a deliberate choice, why not simply say something like "we decided to not include ambient music to give a more realistic tone to the game" or some PR answer like that ?

What surprises me is that in one of the first interviews about the game, in April 2012 I believe, a dev said that the game was already complete, and all that remained was polishing the bugs and glitches to make it all run perfectly. So in 6+ months of ONLY getting rid of bugs, THAT was the best they could do ? So either something happened during developpement, something big and bad that basically slowed them down dramatically, or it all comes from the crappy engine that makes it almost impossible to make everything run...

Anyways my fingers are crossed, but I DON'T want Hutchinson directing an AC game EVER AGAIN !

fightinTXaggie
09-23-2013, 05:05 PM
The problems with AC3 were because of an incredibly slow storyline and a massive open world with very little in it. To the semi-casual gamer, the glitchiness wasn't that bad at all.

adventurewomen
09-23-2013, 05:12 PM
Don't worry at all! :rolleyes:

LAWD another one of these threads.. seriously wait till you play AC4 before you make a judgement!

silvermercy
09-23-2013, 05:46 PM

LAWD another one of these threads.. seriously wait till you play AC4 before you make a judgement!
Indeed...

Personally, I think I completed a pretty thorough gameplay and I only encountered a few bugs. Which I a expect with every game in general. (Maybe it was because I had PS3 Freedom edition version? lol)

pacmanate
09-23-2013, 08:08 PM

He never said it IS going to have glitches. He says he is Wary of them.

Sushiglutton
09-23-2013, 08:15 PM
I didn't encounter that many glitches in AC3. For me it was pretty typical open world glitch frequency. AC3 introduced more new stuff than I believe AC4 will, so 4 will likely be less glitchy. I'm not really worried about that.

pacmanate
09-23-2013, 08:17 PM
I count glitches as pop in and shadowing problems too.

Hopefully next gen gets rid off this.

lothario-da-be
09-23-2013, 08:18 PM
AC3 was the first game the used anvillnext and they tried a lot of new stuff like Sushi said. So i think ac4 will have less bugs. Personaly i didn't experinced more then 5 bugs in more then 70 hours.So i am not worried at all.

Sushiglutton
09-23-2013, 08:21 PM
I actually enjoy bugs a bit, it's part of the charm with OW games for me. In AC3 there was this awesome bug that shot me into the air, like 30m or so and than I crashed and died, but had a nice view before that. Happened twice, wish I knew how to recreate it, because it was pretty sweet.

Edit: Pretty much like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nQmaPJcYqDg

STDlyMcStudpants
09-23-2013, 08:36 PM
I dont care about glitches in games..never have..never will.
I actually ENJOY finding them.
Open world and WWE Games..its just hilarious to me to find this stuff....Every glitch has put a smile on my face (except Skyrim..because those glitches get you stuck in the map lol)
If you judge a game based solely on its bug count, you game for the wrong reasons.
Which I believe so many critics did to AC3..they used it's bugs as a scapegoat to give it such a low score
8.5..is that really that bad? No..but It leaves a bitter taste in my mouth when review after review the only negative critique was bugs (Though I know there were more such as character development...the sequences of his childhood were empty, not full enough to make us care about Connor's Strugle.)
The Open world and game play to me was a 10, the story was an 8...Averages out to a 9/10 lol
And those are the only 2 things that matter ;D

SixKeys
09-23-2013, 08:54 PM
I actually enjoy bugs a bit, it's part of the charm with OW games for me. In AC3 there was this awesome bug that shot me into the air, like 30m or so and than I crashed and died, but had a nice view before that. Happened twice, wish I knew how to recreate it, because it was pretty sweet.

It might have been patched by now, but I had that too. It always happened in one (possibly several) of the burned-down buildings in New York when you tried to climb through a window.

Funny glitches like that I can take, but when your horse gets stuck on a tiny pebble for the 100th time, I start to get annoyed.

STDlyMcStudpants
09-23-2013, 08:58 PM
It might have been patched by now, but I had that too. It always happened in one (possibly several) of the burned-down buildings in New York when you tried to climb through a window.

Funny glitches like that I can take, but when your horse gets stuck on a tiny pebble for the 100th time, I start to get annoyed.

Lol I never rode horses except for missions where i had to...not that i didnt want to..its just that the game never told me i had a horse whistle -_- lol

Farlander1991
09-23-2013, 09:00 PM
I encountered myself only two bugs in AC3 (played on PC, though, so already there were a few patches). Once fell through the ground in the Frontier and one time my horse jumped on a rock which it couldn't jump off from (and it was in that mission that required you to stay ON the horse for the optional objective :-/ ).

But it would've been funny to encounter something like this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rz1QbS0f6LE

poptartz20
09-23-2013, 10:23 PM
well... every game is bound to have glitches. But I don't think this is something to really worry about...

LoyalACFan
09-23-2013, 10:33 PM
I actually didn't witness too many glitches in AC3, unlike most people apparently. The only persistent one was the Acquired Shard of Eden notification, which appeared in every single loading screen after obtaining it. Annoying, but not major.

adventurewomen
09-23-2013, 10:36 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rz1QbS0f6LE
I remember this glitch! It was hilarious, it happened on my 360 version! I couldn't stop laughing!

pacmanate
09-23-2013, 10:40 PM
I hope there arent any lengthy trophy glitches again.

Encyclopedia I am looking at YOU

LoyalACFan
09-23-2013, 10:42 PM

Oh yeah, forgot about that. I did run into the doctor glitch, but it was eventually patched.

I hated that damned encyclopedia anyway... -_-

pacmanate
09-23-2013, 10:45 PM
Oh yeah, forgot about that. I did run into the doctor glitch, but it was eventually patched.

I hated that damned encyclopedia anyway... -_-

It was kinda stupid. Pretty sure someone else other than an Assassin should be documenting people's lives :|

LoyalACFan
09-23-2013, 10:50 PM
It was kinda stupid. Pretty sure someone else other than an Assassin should be documenting people's lives :|

The Turkey Assassin should have handled it

Farlander1991
09-23-2013, 10:57 PM
I didn't mind the encyclopedia, I was spending tons of time seeing what the homesteaders are doing anyway :D Guess that was a perfect side-mission for people like me.

pacmanate
09-23-2013, 10:58 PM
I didn't mind the encyclopedia, I was spending tons of time seeing what the homesteaders are doing anyway :D Guess that was a perfect side-mission for people like me.

I liked seeing what they were doing too, but having to stalk them until they did something different was annoying for me.

ladyleonhart
09-23-2013, 11:00 PM

I was actually lucky enough not to encounter any glitches regarding the Encyclopaedia. However, it was kind of irritating as I got so bored of following Terry and Godfrey around. -_- That was until I realised that Diana’s activity counted as a lumberer activity. :P Lol, at the time though, I was also unaware that activating eagle vision would allow you to determine whether an activity could be scanned or not. So glad I know that now though, and it makes replays so much better. ;)

STDlyMcStudpants
09-23-2013, 11:06 PM

LOL Dude I had to replay AC 2 because the subject 16 puzzle trophy glitched! talk about a true length trophy glitch lol

Farlander1991
09-23-2013, 11:08 PM
Speaking of trophy glitches, a patch broke the PC bomb challenge for ACR, so you can't complete that without going through a weird strange workaround for NOT having the patch installed (which, honestly, I can't be bothered with :/)

Perk89
09-24-2013, 02:36 AM
I'm more weary of the combat system, which looks like it's a step back to the old days of guys standing around waiting for their turn to get slaughtered by you rather than the gang up improvement we saw in AC3.

roostersrule2
09-24-2013, 03:39 AM
I think it'll be around ACB's standard in regards to polish and bugs.

LoyalACFan
09-24-2013, 03:43 AM
I think it'll be around ACB's standard in regards to polish and bugs.

ACB was the glitchiest AC game for me by far :(

roostersrule2
09-24-2013, 03:44 AM
ACB was the glitchiest AC game for me by far :(Really? I never had a problem with it, I can't even remember small bugs let alone the one off crashes or game breaking ones.

LoyalACFan
09-24-2013, 04:01 AM
Really? I never had a problem with it, I can't even remember small bugs let alone the one off crashes or game breaking ones.

It froze all the time on my PS3, and it couldn't load the environment fast enough to allow you to travel at top speed. I couldn't run more than 100m without the game seizing up and having to load textures before I could go any further.

STDlyMcStudpants
09-24-2013, 04:17 AM
ACB was the glitchiest AC game for me by far :(

I had no problem with ACB.
AC1 ran perfectly
AC 2 ran perfectly (only trophies glitched)
ACB ran perfect
ACR Ran almost perfect - I fell out of the map trying to trigger that guy that skips around for a trophy (my last Single player trophy) kind of my own fault...bit i would actually fall out of the map every once in a while playing in the southern part of the map with the water (not middle)
AC3 was of coruse the buggiest of them all, but i think if they didnt have ACB and ACR it wouldve ran perfectly...but i wouldnt trade those 2 games for a bug free ac3 lol

Mr_Shade
09-24-2013, 10:51 AM
I count glitches as pop in and shadowing problems too.

Hopefully next gen gets rid off this.
If you say 'hopefully next gen' will solve them - you count those as hardware limitations.. surely?

god help GTAV and your critical eye!
:P

No in all seriousness - some 'glitches' always pop up in most games - it's sometimes unavoidable - no amount of testing in a games lab will find everything - especially when you have a mad community which will try riding whales while waking the dinosaur..

AC3 was the first new 'open world' stye of game - they have learnt a lot from building it - so AC4 will be an improvement ;)

They will however try and make sure they don't sneak through - and those that do - they will plug - this is where your feedback in the official threads help - you highlight something - I report it [or BW] - we ask you to tell support - and they bundle all of those reports off to the team and get things fixed.

pacmanate
09-24-2013, 12:23 PM
GTAV isn't a visual masterpiece at all haha.

LoyalACFan
09-25-2013, 12:44 AM
GTAV isn't a visual masterpiece at all haha.

... It's pretty damn good for its size. There is indeed pop-up, but come on now, that's just nitpicking.

Layytez
09-25-2013, 01:24 AM
I'm weary of Black Flag in general...

roostersrule2
09-25-2013, 01:27 AM
I'm weary of Black Flag in general...It'll be the best in gameplay and graphics, since this is their second time with the engine it'll be more optimized for it and I like Darby as a writer so the story should be great.

adventurewomen
09-25-2013, 01:29 AM
I'm weary of Black Flag in general...
Are you going to Eurogamer Expo?

If you are then wait till you get to play the demos over there! Nothing to worry about!

Layytez
09-25-2013, 01:47 AM
Are you going to Eurogamer Expo?

If you are then wait till you get to play the demos over there! Nothing to worry about!

Sadly no. Couldn't get a ticket in time.

It'll be the best in gameplay and graphics, since this is their second time with the engine it'll be more optimized for it and I like Darby as a writer so the story should be great.

Hopefully. AC3 left me with a sour taste so i'm not so hyped for Black Flag. I just want good gameplay and a meaningful story.