PDA

View Full Version : What's happening to Assassins Creed?

shafdude
09-21-2013, 08:10 PM
Now I'm not expert on assassins creed or anything and, I haven't even played all the games. But I can see that AC is changing and tbh, I don't like the way it's changing one bit. I in fact hate it.

If you look at the older AC games you can see how they are all about the story. The focus of the game is on the story and that is where all the effort is. I played AC2 and I remember how much more hardcore it was, I mean you had to use medicine to generate health. Now there's automatic health regeneration since AC3 and the focus is changing from hardcore and story focused, to casual and arcade type game. Now all the the devs talk about is "we put this unlockable in the game, we put this new gun in the game, the character can now wear designer jeans". And stupid stuff like that, that basically adds nothing to the game but is completely superficial. Notice the fighting in the old games and the fighting since AC3? It is much more cinematic now, not saying that is a bad thing but that is where all the focus is going. Cinematic, unlockables, superficial arcade type stuff like that instead of, deep story and game play. I want them to keep it simple but they have to add all of this stupid stuff. This is something I expect from the COD series not Assassins creed.

Like honestly, does anyone actually enjoy going out there and upgrading their ship? Do you actually want to do this extra stuff it's so boring. For example when you're playing the story mode and haven't finished it yet, you want to finish it and find out what happens, because it's fun. The fun is in the story. Would anyone actually stop playing the story when they haven't even finished it yet, and go to unlock every single unlockable? No one would do that because it's boring. They only do it after they've finished the story because they feel obligated to do it since they bought the game and want to finish every aspect of it. Doesn't mean they enjoy it.

They focus needs to be in the story and game play because that's where the fun is, it shouldn't be focused towards cinematic displays, unlockables and stuff.

Anyone else feel the same way?

Assassin_M
09-21-2013, 08:13 PM
Now I'm not expert on assassins creed
The expert is here and he's telling you the games are fine. Everyone else is wrong...wrong...wrong..WRONG. I am right, so only I matter, alright? listen to me..

EDIT: also...after reading more of your post...I honestly think there's something wrong with you...AC II deep?? you don't want unlockables ?? you like medicine?? Okay...your opinion, what's laughable is your thought that everyone is like you...which is stupid

Shahkulu101
09-21-2013, 08:16 PM
I know right. I wonder the testicle.

RatonhnhakeFan
09-21-2013, 08:19 PM
Part of it is to artificially extend the gameplay, part of it is to justify annual releases. There's a lot of "fat" that should be trimmed from the series to focus the gameplay a little bit, but a lot of problems also come from balancing. Collectibles ain't bad if they reward big effort put into them appropirately. In AC games though, it's often just an (reskinned/previously locked) outfit or achievement. What's worse is that it seems to becoming a trend in pretty much all open-world games, all the busy-work grinding to hide the fact that the main campaign is only 12-15 hours long.

I would have to disagree with teh combat critique though. While obviously it's a lot more cinematic & flashy, it's also simply much better (in its pure gameplay part) than what was there in AC1.

Assassin_M
09-21-2013, 08:22 PM
I can't believe...artificial?? how is it artificial?? it's providing MORE gameplay..MORE GAMEPLAY..how are side missions "artificial lengthening"? you people think length is only about campaign?? and i'm not talking about ACTUAL artificial lengthening, because there are those in AC, but EVERY side and unlockable being artificial lengthening? what?? what?? what???

STDlyMcStudpants
09-21-2013, 08:23 PM
I agree 100% that the troy got weaker as we went on. I'm hoping for a turn around in Black Flag.
AC, AC 2's, and ACBs story really pulled me in! ACR and AC3 had amazing visuals but after playing them, I couldnt tell you what happened.
The game play and world were the draw for me in those 2 games.

But the other stuff you speak of is nonsense....I hated the medicine and armor system...it forced me to play the game carefully... ;D

Assassin_M
09-21-2013, 08:24 PM
AC 2's, and ACBs
Those stories are SO deep, I can see Adele rolling in there..

STDlyMcStudpants
09-21-2013, 08:26 PM

I didnt say they were deep...they were however alive and kept my attention.
ACR was the deepest story of them all, but I cant remember it haha

Assassin_M
09-21-2013, 08:28 PM
I didnt say they were deep...they were however alive and kept my attention.
ACR was the deepest story of them all, but I cant remember it haha
You didn't say that, I DID..they're deeper than Rodrigo's dark fetishes.

RatonhnhakeFan
09-21-2013, 08:28 PM
I can't believe...artificial?? how is it artificial?? it's providing MORE gameplay..MORE GAMEPLAY..how are side missions "artificial lengthening"? you people think length is only about campaign?? and i'm not talking about ACTUAL artificial lengthening, because there are those in AC, but EVERY side and unlockable being artificial lengthening? what?? what?? what???Not all obviously but the OP has specifically raised an issue of collectibbles and fedex quests.

Adele sits on chairs, doesn't roll, get your facts straight gur!

Shahkulu101
09-21-2013, 08:31 PM

Jeffrey Yohalem won a writers guild award for ACB's story. I, like you, hate it but at least it was actually coherent - that's why I prefer it to AC3's story. (I do prefer the Templar's in AC3, obviously)

Assassin_M
09-21-2013, 08:32 PM
Not all obviously but the OP has specifically raised an issue of collectibbles and fedex quests.
Yeah, but he said unlockables...I mean, most unlockables require some sort of fun gameplay element in AC...Altair's armor, Captain Kidd's outfit, certain weapons in Brotherhood etc...doesn't he like those??

Adele sits on chairs, doesn't roll, get your facts straight gur!
Rolling with the chair...I know people >_>

Assassin_M
09-21-2013, 08:34 PM
Jeffrey Yohalem won a writers guild award for ACB's story.
Lady Gaga wins awards too >_>

Shahkulu101
09-21-2013, 08:38 PM
Lady Gaga wins awards too >_>

Because she's FABULOUS darling!

RatonhnhakeFan
09-21-2013, 08:39 PM
Yeah, but he said unlockables...I mean, most unlockables require some sort of fun gameplay element in AC...Altair's armor, Captain Kidd's outfit, certain weapons in Brotherhood etc...doesn't he like those??

Rolling with the chair...I know people >_>Kidd armor or Brutus armor are few of the good example. Most collectibles have crap rewards. Get all feathers in AC3 and you unlock outfit you already had but got locked, for... some reason. In AC2 they give an... achievement. Yay, what can I do with Ezio with that Achievement...? Collecting flags the same.

Because she's FABULOUS darling!Madonna already exists, why do we need a cheap knock-off?

Assassin_M
09-21-2013, 08:40 PM
Kidd armor or Brutus armor are few of the good example. Most collectibles have crap rewards. Get all feathers in AC3 and you unlock outfit you already had but got locked, for... some reason. In AC2 they give an... achievement. Yay, what can I do with Ezio with that Achievement...? Collecting flags the same.
You actually get a cape with Ezio too :p

pirate1802
09-21-2013, 08:41 PM
I remember how much more hardcore it was, I mean you had to use medicine to generate health. Now there's automatic health regeneration since AC3

You found the broken medicine health system better? -_-

Now all the the devs talk about is "we put this unlockable in the game, we put this new gun in the game, the character can now wear designer jeans". And stupid stuff like that, that basically adds nothing to the game but is completely superficial.

Ofcourse it adds much. It adds fun. It adds roleplaying. I'd always wear the kananheka (pretty sure I horribly misspell it) outfit when Connor would be in his Homestead. Just because you dont find anything useful doesnt mean others can't, respectfully.

Notice the fighting in the old games and the fighting since AC3?

If anything, fighting is better now than older games. Although its still terribly easy. Fighting was never hard in AC, not in any games. Its the nostalgia that makes old things look like gold.

Like honestly, does anyone actually enjoy going out there and upgrading their ship?

Do you actually want to do this extra stuff it's so boring.

Yes. Infact I'd say I'm more excited about roaming about aimlessly and visiting infinite islands than about the story. Hard to believe isn't it?

For example when you're playing the story mode and haven't finished it yet, you want to finish it and find out what happens, because it's fun. The fun is in the story. Would anyone actually stop playing the story when they haven't even finished it yet, and go to unlock every single unlockable? No one would do that because it's boring.

They only do it after they've finished the story because they feel obligated to do it since they bought the game and want to finish every aspect of it. Doesn't mean they enjoy it.

Seems like you know everyone's minds and what they think. You should understand that not everyone looks at things the way you do. What if I like the settings and just want to roam about doing random crap? Unthinkable right??

They focus needs to be in the story and game play because that's where the fun is, it shouldn't be focused towards cinematic displays, unlockables and stuff.

Its an open wold game. Like GTA. Notice how GTA too has a lot of unnecessary and useless stuff? But thats the beauty of it. Since its an open world game, you have random crap to do while you roam about. There should be more unlockables and stuff to do, since AC always has a shortage of them. Frontier felt awfully empty.

No.

RatonhnhakeFan
09-21-2013, 08:42 PM
You actually get a cape with Ezio too :pThe fact I already forgot about it kinda shows how significant it was :nonchalance:

inferno33222
09-21-2013, 08:42 PM
Clearly you haven't played all of the games, which is alright, just don't act like the series is drifting so much in the areas you are speaking about. Medicine was introduced in AC2 and was quite a poor mechanic. It was so easy to just spam left on the controls and win. AC1 had regenerating health like AC3, so, actually, AC3 is going back to its roots there. AC2 was not hardcore by any means; it was still way too easy. The fighting is actually less cinematic now that the action camera is gone. Remember that thing? Where the camera would shift all over to make it more cinematic? Yeah, that was introduced in AC1. Lastly, customization is optional and does not affect story length. It makes the world deeper for those who want to explore it. And I think that the new ACs are actually more story focused. AC3 had hours of cutscenes that all advanced the story.

However, I do agree with you when you say that they keep adding more and more gadgets. ACR had way too many gadgets that it felt a little ridiculous, and, once again, AC3 actually went closer to its roots by removing things such as bombs and health potions. The regenerating health is actually more hardcore by forcing you to escape combat in order to heal.

The series certainly has problems, but, honestly, I don't think any of the big ones are the ones you mentioned. My biggest problems with the series are the difficulty, poor AI, poor story pacing (sometimes), and bad mission design.

Gi1t
09-21-2013, 08:43 PM
Sure, lots of people. I'd say the issue in a general sense boils down to focusing too much on large amounts of content and not dealing anough with the core. Doesn't mean they've left the core gameplay untouched, exactly, but a lot of games run into the same issues; adding in features on top without accounting for the core gameplay. This often causes problems with some of the base feature that made the earlier games work so well. Now AC isn't very complicated, but it does seem to be having those issues too and as much as I like AC2, I think M's right that a lot of the focus on content kind of started there.

ladyleonhart
09-21-2013, 08:44 PM
I don't think there's anything wrong with the series at all. Of course, there will always be changes and some of these will be liked or disliked. Some of these changes are due to the developers wanting to improve things for us and give us a better experience. Maybe that doesn't always work how they and we expect, but it is impossible for the developers to please everyone. So, I think the series is fine.

As for your comment on regenerating health as opposed to medicine. Realistically, if you were in a fight, would you have time to take out some medicine...? Also, it was redundant because if you had the money, which was easily obtained in ACII, you would never run out of medicine. Regarding the regeneration of health, they are Assassins and therefore trained to deal with situations like this and they definitely have to have the stamina for it. Then, I don't think there is anything wrong with it at all. Also, it actually makes it harder (or more hard-core as you said) because you have to be more careful and think about the situation rather than charging in with your large supply of medicine.

STDlyMcStudpants
09-21-2013, 08:46 PM
The fact I already forgot about it kinda shows how significant it was :nonchalance:

Didnt it unlock the family vault too or was that DLC? lol

adventurewomen
09-21-2013, 08:47 PM
Why with all these angry threads, just trust the process that is Ubisoft.

RatonhnhakeFan
09-21-2013, 08:47 PM
The series certainly has problems, but, honestly, I don't think any of the big ones are the ones you mentioned. My biggest problems with the series are the difficulty, poor AI, poor story pacing (sometimes), and bad mission design.Bad economy balance is a problem too. They're taking stuff from RPGs to diversify the experience but they're not balancing it enough like RPGs do.

RatonhnhakeFan
09-21-2013, 08:50 PM
Didnt it unlock the family vault too or was that DLC? lol
It was uPlay I think

ladyleonhart
09-21-2013, 08:50 PM

I really don't understand it either. >_<

adventurewomen
09-21-2013, 08:54 PM
I really don't understand it either. >_<
Exactly and it's getting quite annoying, not one day goes by when we don't see a complaint thread. >__<

pirate1802
09-21-2013, 08:55 PM
I think regarding medicines, in previous ACs you couldnt die EVEN if you wanted to. You can stand there and take 20 blows and your health always would regenerate enough to survive the next blow. And then you'd generously spam medicine to go full health. Atleast you can die now ;_; I fail to see how anyone can think the previous system was better :O

pirate1802
09-21-2013, 08:56 PM
Exactly and it's getting quite annoying, not one day goes by when we don't see a complaint thread. >__<

Its a trait. A game always seems to be hated most on its home forums. Especially the newer entries. I've seen this in ALL game forums I've visited unfortunately.

thekarlone
09-21-2013, 08:59 PM
I must agree in two things with Shafdude. AC2 is the deepest game in terms of story, and I also believe the medicine health system is much better than the current. I like the fact that you can regenerate health in the middle of a battle.

Assassin_M
09-21-2013, 08:59 PM
and as much as I like AC2, I think M's right that a lot of the focus on content kind of started there.
Exactly, if you like AC II then complain about fluff and useless stuff, then...I dunno...maybe you should get nostalgia out of the way and start looking at AC II more critically (you is not referring to you, Gi1t)

I-Like-Pie45
09-21-2013, 09:03 PM
In ACB and ACR, whenever you got down to one chip of health, the guards would just stop trying to hit you until your health regenerated enough to be hit again.

thekarlone
09-21-2013, 09:03 PM
AC3 has a lot of content, but the quality of this content is questionable. It was a great game, but not as good as it could be.

RatonhnhakeFan
09-21-2013, 09:05 PM
Exactly, if you like AC II then complain about fluff and useless stuff, then...I dunno...maybe you should get nostalgia out of the way and start looking at AC II more critically (you is not referring to you, Gi1t)True, but it was kinda more about compensating for barebone structure of AC1 and still somehow under control. With Brotherhood though, it started to be about adding new stuff to justify annual releases.

Hans684
09-21-2013, 09:09 PM
It's innovating, changing, evolving. Take your pick but you are right, content like naval combat was more fun in AC/2.

Assassin_M
09-21-2013, 09:10 PM
True, but it was kinda more about compensating for barebone structure of AC1 and still somehow under control. With Brotherhood though, it started to be about adding new stuff to justify annual releases.
Not really, some side missions in AC II were borderline asinine and bare. Delivering letters? beating Husbands up? bleh... ACB removed those and added MUCH better side missions.

adventurewomen
09-21-2013, 09:11 PM
It's innovating, changing, evolving. Take your pick but you are right, content like naval combat was more fun in AC/2.
I don't know what game you were playing but there wasn't any Navel missions in AC1 or AC2.

RatonhnhakeFan
09-21-2013, 09:13 PM
Not really, some side missions in AC II were borderline asinine and bare. Delivering letters? beating Husbands up? bleh... ACB removed those and added MUCH better side missions.Yes it was good improvement in ACB. But then we had the Assassin recruits paperwork added. Which still exists in AC4, this time dressed up as a ship fleet paperwork. At least it will no longer be a 'win/save my butt' button to use in standard combat.

ladyleonhart
09-21-2013, 09:14 PM
I think regarding medicines, in previous ACs you couldnt die EVEN if you wanted to. You can stand there and take 20 blows and your health always would regenerate enough to survive the next blow. And then you'd generously spam medicine to go full health. Atleast you can die now ;_; I fail to see how anyone can think the previous system was better :O

I agree. Exactly, the point I made in my post. Lol, maybe we're just missing something. :p

Its a trait. A game always seems to be hated most on its home forums. Especially the newer entries. I've seen this in ALL game forums I've visited unfortunately.

That's really sad. :( Where are the developers supposed to receive appreciation from the fans then...? Personally, if I disliked something, I wouldn't waste my time complaining about it.

Assassin_M
09-21-2013, 09:15 PM
Yes it was good improvement in ACB. But then we had the Assassin recruits paperwork added. Which still exists in AC4, this time dressed up a ship fleet paperwork. At least it will bno longer be a 'win' button to use in standard combat.
Yeah, that's sort of a good example to artificial lengthening, dressing and excuse for yearly releases, but yeah..at least it's not a win button..

silvermercy
09-21-2013, 09:39 PM
Quoted for truth. lol

For some fans there's something really huge happening and I'm here sitting like...

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_mb4mphvq1J1qi2qoj.gif

adventurewomen
09-21-2013, 09:42 PM
Quoted for truth. lol

For some fans there's something really huge happening and I'm here sitting like...
TRUE DAT!!

I'm sitting there at the bar all casually drinking and someone runs in with their damn issues I'm like calm the **** down! -__-

SixKeys
09-21-2013, 09:45 PM
While I understand getting annoyed at constant complaining, I don't agree that we should all just sit around kissing Ubisoft's butt all the time. If something is wrong, the devs need to hear about it so they can improve upon it in the next game. Most people here give constructive criticism like "I didn't like this feature, here are my reasons why" as opposed to just "Ubisoft sux!!!1".

silvermercy
09-21-2013, 09:52 PM
^ Yes, I suppose there are times where fans need to give some constructive feedback with reasons why. Improvement would be impossible otherwise.

(It gets tiring I suppose when you see new threads complaining about the same thing, especially when the dislike stems from their subjective POV. For example: "Ugh! I don't like pirates! Always hated them! Ubi sux!")

ladyleonhart
09-21-2013, 09:56 PM
While I understand getting annoyed at constant complaining, I don't agree that we should all just sit around kissing Ubisoft's butt all the time. If something is wrong, the devs need to hear about it so they can improve upon it in the next game. Most people here give constructive criticism like "I didn't like this feature, here are my reasons why" as opposed to just "Ubisoft sux!!!1".

I do agree with you and constructive criticism is how it should be. Not: "I don't like this" or "that's so boring" without a reason, because that just sounds like complaining. Also, the fact is, there has been SO much complaining lately, largely because ACIV is a "pirate" game. It's not even out. People should at least try something first. Sure, there are things that we're worried about from what they've shown, but we can't be completely sure we're going to hate it until we actually try it. Also, I don't think an angry face implies constructive criticism.

adventurewomen
09-21-2013, 10:04 PM
Lol I never said going around kissing Ubi's *** as necessary, while the complaints are valid, yes if there is a problem talk about it.

Sometimes the game is in development far to long down the line for new changes and improvements, Ubisoft does listen to the fans but what we say they don't need to fulfil the needs of us fans the games are their agenda not ours.

I do agree with you and constructive criticism is how it should be. Not: "I don't like this" or "that's so boring" without a reason, because that just sounds like complaining. Also, the fact is, there has been SO much complaining lately, largely because ACIV is a "pirate" game. It's not even out. People should at least try something first. Sure, there are things that we're worried about from what they've shown, but we can't be completely sure we're going to hate it until we actually try it. Also, I don't think an angry face implies constructive criticism.
I wholeheartedly agree with you my friend! :)

Black_Widow9
09-21-2013, 10:06 PM
Constructive criticism and well thought out posts are always appreciated either good or bad. I wish they happened more often. When I start to see "sux", "the worst", etc my eyes gloss over. If people want their opinions to be heard they should really think about how they present them. We are a gazillion times more likely to take you seriously if they are constructive and specific. ;)

shafdude
09-21-2013, 10:07 PM
Okay, I wasn't criticizing the fighting in the newer games of AC. I was just giving one aspect of the fighting as an example to how the entire game was changing focus. I never said the combat in AC3 was bad or anything (even though it could use improvements), I was just using the combats cinematic displays as an example of where the focus of the entire game was heading.

When it comes to the heath system, maybe it was to easy to stay alive in the previous games but that wasn't my point. The regeneration health system as a whole is not as hardcore as medicine, plus the red screen is annoying when you're critically damaged in AC3. I think the medicine idea was better but need to be trimmed down so it isn't so easy.

Also I don't hate unlockables, I hate the fact that they're becoming the focus. I might have said they add nothing to the game, but I was trying to emphasize my point when I said that, I didn't mean it literally. Unlockables and side missions are great add ons, but shouldn't be the focus.

poptartz20
09-21-2013, 10:19 PM
FIrst... I want to commend M he is on a roll today. "Adele is Rolling in them" had me laughing for the next 2 or 3 pages after reading it. LOL! Whew. *tears* I think that almost makes any argument invalid.

Second don't get me wrong I enjoyed all the games so far for the most part But honestly AC2 wasn't that deep, as far as storyline goes now the glyphs and everything else and the apple made his story deep. And the medicine system was a haxx. In AC3 I found myself having to run away several times to hid to regain health. Then again, I just prefer AC3 more so in general. To each their own though.

Last guys... Trust me! :D The devs really are listening! I mean from the videos we have seen many improvements and there looks like there is tons to do! You just have to know the way to approach it!

plentybeef
09-22-2013, 01:14 AM
The first question to discover, is where did the first game steam from? Once you found out the answer, every other game follows the same path. It keeps them historical, while mixing new mechanics like counter, swimming, and the movie-like cut scenes. But to say the game is falling off the beaten path because they introduce something like chasing pages and feathers. I, for one waited after Connor got a ship to finish everything on the side before I continued the game. I actually like how all the games came out. Even Ac3, with all it's imperfections was still great.

Edit- the devs listen, there's like a zillion couriers after a patch a few weeks ago. There even in the forts now

Perk89
09-22-2013, 01:18 AM
Now I'm not expert on assassins creed or anything and, I haven't even played all the games. But I can see that AC is changing and tbh, I don't like the way it's changing one bit. I in fact hate it.

If you look at the older AC games you can see how they are all about the story. The focus of the game is on the story and that is where all the effort is. I played AC2 and I remember how much more hardcore it was, I mean you had to use medicine to generate health. Now there's automatic health regeneration since AC3 and the focus is changing from hardcore and story focused, to casual and arcade type game. Now all the the devs talk about is "we put this unlockable in the game, we put this new gun in the game, the character can now wear designer jeans". And stupid stuff like that, that basically adds nothing to the game but is completely superficial. Notice the fighting in the old games and the fighting since AC3? It is much more cinematic now, not saying that is a bad thing but that is where all the focus is going. Cinematic, unlockables, superficial arcade type stuff like that instead of, deep story and game play. I want them to keep it simple but they have to add all of this stupid stuff. This is something I expect from the COD series not Assassins creed.

Like honestly, does anyone actually enjoy going out there and upgrading their ship? Do you actually want to do this extra stuff it's so boring. For example when you're playing the story mode and haven't finished it yet, you want to finish it and find out what happens, because it's fun. The fun is in the story. Would anyone actually stop playing the story when they haven't even finished it yet, and go to unlock every single unlockable? No one would do that because it's boring. They only do it after they've finished the story because they feel obligated to do it since they bought the game and want to finish every aspect of it. Doesn't mean they enjoy it.

I like the direction theyve gone with with story. So, no. I don't feel the same way.

roostersrule2
09-22-2013, 01:33 AM
I don't see the problem with this he explained why he didn't like where the series is going in a calm manner, he didn't just full on bash a game or say anything about how Ubi sucks, he just explained what he doesn't like. It's not complaining just because he preferred the story telling of AC2 to AC3 and we all know you can't say anything bad about AC3, its perfect. Everyone on here always gets so defensive and no matter what he said, just because he doesn't like AC3's storytelling and side missions, his opinion isn't heard or acknowledged it's just thrown down with the other "AC3 bashing" threads.

Gi1t
09-22-2013, 01:56 AM

Actually after some of the stuff they've done, I can see why people would not trust them. XD

I don't see the problem with this he explained why he didn't like where the series is going in a calm manner, he didn't just full on bash a game or say anything about how Ubi sucks, he just explained what he doesn't like. It's not complaining just because he preferred the story telling of AC2 to AC3 and we all know you can't say anything bad about AC3, its perfect. Everyone on here always gets so defensive and no matter what he said, just because he doesn't like AC3's storytelling and side missions, his opinion isn't heard or acknowledged it's just thrown down with the other "AC3 bashing" threads.

Agreed. :) It's just a reality of the forums. Not everyone who shows up will know about all the past discussions on a given topic, so repeat thrreads pop up all the time. It's no problem as long as they're not pointless bashing threads.

pirate1802
09-22-2013, 04:52 AM
Quoted for truth. lol

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_mb4mphvq1J1qi2qoj.gif

Three games, which I thought were awesome, heard being praised everywhere. Until I visited their home forums. Now I wish I hadn't. Deus Ex: HR, Borderlands 2, and Tomb Raider. Now when I join a game forum I'm more surprised if its game is NOT hated there.

THEY CHANGED ME!

Btw, that gif is from Supernatural right?

Jack-Reacher
09-22-2013, 06:56 AM
I really cant imagine anyone who was a fan of the games since AC1 still being super excited for the games being released now. Too much time has passed, how can you still have an interest?

roostersrule2
09-22-2013, 07:07 AM
I really cant imagine anyone who was a fan of the games since AC1 still being super excited for the games being released now. Too much time has passed, how can you still have an interest?Is anyone from back then still here anyway?

Hans684
09-22-2013, 07:08 AM
I don't know what game you were playing but there wasn't any Navel missions in AC1 or AC2.

-_- I know.

Jack-Reacher
09-22-2013, 07:08 AM
...I am. Not for long I imagine...

roostersrule2
09-22-2013, 07:11 AM
...I am. Not for long I imagine...Noooooooo, we need your random stories.

Jack-Reacher
09-22-2013, 07:19 AM
Well im playing GTA V a lot, maybe once I had exhumed everything it has worthy to offer me I will do something similar on GTAF. Though I can't promise it will be the same, most of these stories were pretty much drug induced madness I had before going to sleep on some late night, im kinda over that now, so the stories just wouldn't be the same.

roostersrule2
09-22-2013, 07:32 AM
Well im playing GTA V a lot, maybe once I had exhumed everything it has worthy to offer me I will do something similar on GTAF. Though I can't promise it will be the same, most of these stories were pretty much drug induced madness I had before going to sleep on some late night, im kinda over that now, so the stories just wouldn't be the same.GTAF are a mess.

Sushiglutton
09-22-2013, 08:42 AM
I disagree with most of what you said TC :(.

First off I think the health system in AC3 is the best in the series. AC has never been a hardcore franchise and I don't want it to be. Dying has always been rare. The medicine system didn't make the game harder, it just made it more annoying as you needed to waste time resupplying. You could tweak the system in AC3 some, perhaps by not letting health regenerate unless you are incognito to make escaping feel more urgent. Overall I'm ok with the system as it is.

As for unlockables I think AC has way less unlockables than most open world games, which I consider a good thing. For example compare the number of outfits in AC3 with Sleeping Dogs or GTA. I think it's because Ubi takes the franchise seriously and don't want to turn it into a "crazy sandbox" kind of game (worst example Saints Row) as that would cheapen the IP.

As for focusing on story I def think thte game still does that. Some missions are atrocious from a gameplay pov and are there only to serve the story. If I undertand correctly you would like less sidecontent and more focus on the campaign? I don't agree with that either I love exploring OW games and find stuff to do. AC1 had enormous enviroments that were completely wasted. After a while you realized that there was nothing interesting to find which made me stop exploring.

I do agree some (most) of the sidecontent is a little bit too low quality to be enjoyable, especially more than once. This is true for most OW games though (is anyon still playing the bowling from GTA4?). I think AC should have fewer side activities and try to do them better. Also having mini-stories for side assassinations would make them feel less generic. Creating fleshed out and interesting side content is probably one of the hardest things to do when you have to pump out a game yearly, so I don't expect miracles in this department.

pirate1802
09-22-2013, 09:13 AM
I really cant imagine anyone who was a fan of the games since AC1 still being super excited for the games being released now. Too much time has passed, how can you still have an interest?

I have interest, but no longer super excited. That's exactly what happens when you make a new game every year.

Jack-Reacher
09-22-2013, 09:22 AM
I suppose im sort of interest, I might rent the game out when it becomes a weekly release and just smash it and see what they do with the modern day plot. Its amusing watching them squirm in the pit they dug themselves on that one.

shafdude
09-22-2013, 09:07 PM
Alright a lot of what you guys say make sense but I'll be more specific. With the unlockables and side stuff, I think it should be trimmed down. Like all of the stuff like collecting feathers, that is not really fun, stuff like Captain kid's treasure is fun. So for the unlcokables and side stuff, it should be trimmed of the less fun things that don't really involve anything more than aimlessly wandering around hoping you'll find something (feathers). And should be more focused on puzzle or mission type unlockables that may add to the story somehow (like captain kid's treasure).

Also I'm buying black flag for ps3 and it seems like a fun open world game, but I would be disappointed if half of the exploring you could do involved collecting something like feathers, and getting rewarded by being given a outfit afterwards.

For the health system, I think that when the screen turns red from being damaged is useless and annoying. It reminds me of call of duty and doesn't let you see anything. A better method would be keeping health regen, but slowing it down a little bit and cutting out the red screen colour change.

Also the most important thing I think needs to be done about the game is changing the story so it's more deeply social. In AC2 it was so simple and social. How you went to Christina's house, how you beat up that guy for your sister. Those things were small social things and got you involved with the character, like you felt the need to beat up that guy who hurt your sister in AC2 because you were getting in the characters shoes. You felt the way Ezio felt about his sister and the guy who hurt her, so you actually wanted to help Claudia (Ezio's sister) and beat up that guy for her. That was the golden social aspect of AC2.

In AC3 it's not like that anymore. I want that specific social aspect back.

If the AC series cuts out the red screen when you're hurt, slows down the health regeneration, cuts out the aimless collectibles, and then brings back that social aspect back, I'd be very pleased and happy. Regardless I'll still buy black flag and get fun out of it, but IMO I think these things would add more to the game.

BATISTABUS
09-23-2013, 03:15 AM
AC2 had the weakest story in the series. The game put a huge emphasis on pointless upgrades. Medicine is dumb. AC2 is the opposite of hardcore; it actually removed many hardcore elements form AC1 and created an all-around much safer, mainstream game.

*drops the mic*

shafdude
09-23-2013, 03:52 AM
AC2 had the weakest story in the series. The game put a huge emphasis on pointless upgrades. Medicine is dumb. AC2 is the opposite of hardcore; it actually removed many hardcore elements form AC1 and created an all-around much safer, mainstream game.

*drops the mic*

Okay maybe you're right. But I never played all the games, I've only played AC2, brotherhood, 3, and well that's it. But you saying AC1 was more hardcore, I wouldn't know but you saying that actually proves my point that the game is getting less hardcore.

roostersrule2
09-23-2013, 04:05 AM

*drops the mic*ACB had the weakest story, AC2's story was the best IMO, it was hardly as cliche as everyone makes it out to be. You say AC2's is just a revenge story when AC3's is no different, sure Connor wants Justice but he's getting it through revenge. AC1's is just do some work for me then **** you, seen it a million times. ACB's is just guy=bad, kill guy. ACR's was probably the strongest, it had many twists and turns.

The only element it removed was the different mission structure, but the criticism AC1's got due to the repetition made them have to change it, what we need is a blend between AC1's and AC2's mission style, which seems to be what AC4 is doing. Other then that and the regenerative health which was what made the game easier due to just being able to run around until you got more health again to fight, nothing was really removed.

BATISTABUS
09-23-2013, 04:15 AM
But you saying AC1 was more hardcore, I wouldn't know but you saying that actually proves my point that the game is getting less hardcore.
You can have your opinions, I just wanted to throw mine in too. I do think AC1 is more "hardcore" (if that word even means anything) than AC2, but some progress has been made and lost in different areas since. The AC franchise has its ups and downs with every installment; none is perfect, and where one gets something wrong, another gets it right. Either way, I'd definitely recommend giving AC1 (and Revelations) a shot.

ACB had the weakest story
You say AC2's is just a revenge story when AC3's is no different, sure Connor wants Justice but he's getting it through revenge.
ACR's was probably the strongest, it had many twists and turns.

I'd respect that opinion. I think ACB is the 2nd worst, if that helps.
My complaints about AC2 as a story have nothing to do with it being a revenge tale. I like revenge stories when done properly.
I love ACR's story, and I think it's extremely underrated. Definitely the best in the Ezio trilogy.

As for AC2 being "safer" in just about every way, I'll probably dedicate a thread to it sometime in the future.

shafdude
09-23-2013, 05:15 AM
You can have your opinions, I just wanted to throw mine in too. I do think AC1 is more "hardcore" (if that word even means anything) than AC2, but some progress has been made and lost in different areas since. The AC franchise has its ups and downs with every installment; none is perfect, and where one gets something wrong, another gets it right. Either way, I'd definitely recommend giving AC1 (and Revelations) a shot.

I'd respect that opinion. I think ACB is the 2nd worst, if that helps.
My complaints about AC2 as a story have nothing to do with it being a revenge tale. I like revenge stories when done properly.
I love ACR's story, and I think it's extremely underrated. Definitely the best in the Ezio trilogy.

As for AC2 being "safer" in just about every way, I'll probably dedicate a thread to it sometime in the future.

After that I'm going to give revelation a try. I'll see if I an borrow it from someone not really in the mood to buy it right now. I'm going to buy AC1 and AC2 though, I lost my AC2 and I never had AC1. Anyway

ACB had the weakest story, AC2's story was the best IMO, it was hardly as cliche as everyone makes it out to be. You say AC2's is just a revenge story when AC3's is no different, sure Connor wants Justice but he's getting it through revenge. AC1's is just do some work for me then **** you, seen it a million times. ACB's is just guy=bad, kill guy. ACR's was probably the strongest, it had many twists and turns.

The only element it removed was the different mission structure, but the criticism AC1's got due to the repetition made them have to change it, what we need is a blend between AC1's and AC2's mission style, which seems to be what AC4 is doing. Other then that and the regenerative health which was made the game easier due to just being able to run around until you got more health again to fight, nothing was really removed.

Okay, I'll play AC1 and see what the entire repetitive thing is about. And since you're like one of the billionth people that have said this, the health system does needs to be changed, regeneration or not. Let's push for that to happen on these forums?

Gi1t
09-23-2013, 06:02 AM
Okay, I'll play AC1 and see what the entire repetitive thing is about. And since you're like one of the billionth people that have said this, the health system does needs to be changed, regeneration or not. Let's push for that to happen on these forums?

I'd highly adivse that as well. :) The repetetiveness of the investigation missions just isn't enough of a reason to miss out on it. They're not hard, so at worst, you'll have to play it in short bursts. But I found the repetition to actually be pretty tolerable compared to some games, especially since it's not too long overall.

roostersrule2
09-23-2013, 07:16 AM
I'd highly adivse that as well. :) The repetetiveness of the investigation missions just isn't enough of a reason to miss out on it. They're not hard, so at worst, you'll have to play it in short bursts. But I found the repetition to actually be pretty tolerable compared to some games, especially since it's not too long overall.Indeed, it helps to change up the way you play each assassination too, go stealthy sometimes and just go all swords 420 Blazin otherwise it tends to get stale.

blacklimoband
09-23-2013, 07:38 AM

/raisehand.... I have every AC game on 360 and PC. I love the story lines (both the historical and modern-day), that was the main thing that kept me buying the series. For my part, every release has something new that I really love about it, and some things I don't like, but at the end of the day I still play all of them at some point in my gaming cycle (on my 3rd play thru of AC3 right now)

examples: Some of the things I really like - Hookblade (full of win), Assassin Recruits (actually felt like there was really was an Assassin Brotherhood happening), and my personal favourite - Naval combat! Conversely one of the things I really hate - Full Sync (honestly, whoever came up with that idea needs to punch themselves in the face really ****ing hard) - seriously, it really renders the whole idea of "sandbox" defunct when the requirements limit you to only 1 method of completing a task. Why should I have to pierce the target's left testicle with a poison needle if there's a perfectly good cannon pointed at them? And that pointless Tower Defense mini game (although it's 1 saving grace is that you can avoid it completely after the first one that's forced in the story-based mission, the guild challenge is marked complete once you control all the towers with Master Assassins anyway). Some people like it, I'm not one of them.

At the end of the day, I take the good with the bad and get what enjoyment I can out of the game... must be working out OK, cos I keep coming back to them. If I had to pick a favourite it would have to be AC:B - even though that was the one that introduced the stupid 100% nonsense, overall it had the best ratio of goodness:crap (in my view anyway)

All that being said, I'm looking forward to BF, not because it has "Assassin's Creed" in the title, but because Pirates... that's why!

*edited for incoherent grammatical error - need more coffee :)*