PDA

View Full Version : Grasping & A "Limb" system?

phoenix-force411
09-16-2013, 07:07 AM
Grasping: Grasping should be changed back to holding down the Grasp button, because AC III's grasping system was poor and most of the time Connor will not grasp onto anything. This needs to change in AC IV: Black Flag, because auto free running is hard enough to control freely as it is.

A possible "Limb" System?: If I were to shoot an enemy in the leg, would that render him unable to run, or would it just hurt or kill him?

pirate1802
09-16-2013, 07:54 AM
Why not implement the limb system to the protagonist as well? Got shot in the leg? Harder to run. Hurt in the arm? Harder to swing your sword/shoot. Hurt in the head? Blurred vision etc.

roostersrule2
09-16-2013, 07:58 AM
Why not implement the limb system to the protagonist as well? Got shot in the leg? Harder to run. Hurt in the arm? Harder to swing your sword/shoot. Hurt in the head? Blurred vision etc.That's stupid.

Aphex_Tim
09-16-2013, 08:58 AM
That's stupid.

I find being able to survive a firing line at point blank and simply walking it off is a little more stupid.

roostersrule2
09-16-2013, 09:00 AM
I find being able to survive a firing line at point blank and simply walking it off is a little more stupid.If it was in real life, I'd say it was a miracle.

If it was in a game, I'd say it's what happens in games.

pirate1802
09-16-2013, 09:10 AM
That's stupid.

Still less stupid than you.

pirate1802
09-16-2013, 09:13 AM
That's stupid.

Also, shot in the ****, no sex cutscenes for you.

roostersrule2
09-16-2013, 09:15 AM
Still more stupid than you.Agreed.

SixKeys
09-16-2013, 12:50 PM

Also, shot in the ****, no sex cutscenes for you.

Shot in the ****, automatic desynch as the ancestor's bloodline gets broken.

I'm not sure how well a limb system would work in AC. It's a nice idea to make the game a bit more challenging, but the AI is already lazy enough as it is. Even if you got wounded on the arm, making it more difficult to swing your sword, the enemies would still stand around politely waiting for you to regain your strength.

adventurewomen
09-16-2013, 12:55 PM
I remember I injured a guards leg in Brotherhood he was limping after that.

There are already limp animations..

pirate1802
09-16-2013, 07:15 PM
Well getting shot in the **** might disable the ability to use courtesans too..

And yes SixKeys, that is a problem indeed..

RatonhnhakeFan
09-17-2013, 12:48 AM
Why not implement the limb system to the protagonist as well? Got shot in the leg? Harder to run. Hurt in the arm? Harder to swing your sword/shoot. Hurt in the head? Blurred vision etc.

It's potentially a cool idea but would have to be executed VERY carefully. If the devs went even a bit too far with penalty for getting shot in some body part, it could be extremly frustrating to control the character.

thekyle0
09-17-2013, 01:52 AM
Crippling the player is hardly ever improves gameplay. As poorly as roostersrule worded it, he's still right. For one, I can only assume "harder to run" or "harder to swing your sword" means slower movement speed or reduced damage. This is all at once frustrating and confusing for the players because you're suddenly forcing them to play by a new rule set when they clearly are still learning how to play what they started with. A handicap like that in the game does not make the controls more realistic or immersive, but rather sluggish and unresponsive.

I disagree even more with blurring the player's vision when they take a blow to the head. The fact that in previous titles animus effects would fill up the screen whenever you're low on health was obnoxious enough. Having the blurred vision would only increase the frequency that players experience this frustrating and pointless feature. And do not doubt that it's pointless, because all it really accomplishes is to shatter immersion by reminding the players they're playing a game, just at the moment when we're likely to be most frustrated with it. Subsequently, player satisfaction with the product plummets quite sharply. Furthermore, it requires the devs to clutter up the HUD even more, as the player would require feedback based on the status of each limb. This too diminishes player immersion.

Like so many game features focused on realism, this proposal is predicated on the idea that games should be realistic for realism's own sake regardless of how it improves or more likely damages the gameplay. Truthfully, realism is simultaneously the most technically difficult and least effective way to make a game immersive. The best immersion always comes from making the player believe the game world is real so as to disconnect us from reality. If the game can make us forget animals don't talk or people aren't magic, then it can define reality rather than try to mimic it. Don't forget, Alice will follow the rabbit if you show it to her.

If your trying to use realism to introduce more challenge to the game, then start with the AI. Make npc's more proactive and coordinated in combat before you make the player feel weak and ineffectual through a convoluted control scheme.