PDA

View Full Version : How long do you think will have to wait to get Edward's full abilities?

eaglefan129
09-15-2013, 11:11 PM
I assume we don't get the jackdaw right away one of the problems with ac3 it takes a while to get the majority of things unlocked.

SixKeys
09-15-2013, 11:15 PM
I'm pretty sure the devs said the game will open up for exploration much more quickly than AC3. That probably goes for most, if not all of Edward's abilities as well.

Hans684
09-16-2013, 03:10 AM
Pax Panel: Acording to Ismal the game opens after 1 and a half hour.

Oleg l Kirrlov
09-16-2013, 03:22 AM
Jackdaw prob halfway through first sequence, full abilities prob 50/55% done.

pirate1802
09-16-2013, 03:50 AM
I guess in the second sequence? Which is fair enough.

AnthonyA85
09-16-2013, 04:50 AM
I think we'll be aboard The Queen Anne's Revenge (Blackbeard's ship) during the ship tutorial missions, I remember seeing in one of the gameplay vids that was released, we were on board a ship, learning how to control it, and Blackbeard was there giving advice/orders, though I can't remember which video exactly.

We most likely start the game as one of his crew.

So we'll probably get nearly all of Edward's abilities maybe round about sequence 3 or 4, 2 at the earliest.

Hans684
09-16-2013, 05:13 AM
I think we'll be aboard The Queen Anne's Revenge (Blackbeard's ship) during the ship tutorial missions, I remember seeing in one of the gameplay vids that was released, we were on board a ship, learning how to control it, and Blackbeard was there giving advice/orders, though I can't remember which video exactly.

We most likely start the game as one of his crew.

So we'll probably get nearly all of Edward's abilities maybe round about sequence 3 or 4, 2 at the earliest.

After 1 and a half hour in game you can do whatever you want. The tutorial is not gonna be like AC3.

RatonhnhakeFan
09-16-2013, 03:32 PM
I don't mind slow intro. I would be totally fine with even 3 hour intro. But AC3 went completly overboard in that regard, 2 prologues on top of each other adding up for a 6 hour tutorial. They should've cut like 2/3 of Haytham's sections.

roostersrule2
09-16-2013, 03:33 PM
I don't mind slow intro. I would be totally fine with even 3 hour intro. But AC3 went completly overboard in that regard, 2 prologues on top of each other adding up for a 6 hour tutorial. They should've cut like 2/3 of Haytham's sections.AC3's was 3 hours?

RatonhnhakeFan
09-16-2013, 03:38 PM
AC3's was 3 hours?No, said I wouldn't mind even 3 hour tutorial but not 6 like AC3 lol

roostersrule2
09-16-2013, 03:40 PM
No, said I wouldn't mind even 3 hour tutorial but not 6 like AC3 lolNo? I watched all cutscenes did some side missions, it was 3 hours.

There was not even 6 hours of content in the first three sequences.

RatonhnhakeFan
09-16-2013, 03:48 PM
No? I watched all cutscenes did some side missions, it was 3 hours.

There was not even 6 hours of content in the first three sequences.
I'm talking up until Sequence 6

poptartz20
09-16-2013, 06:45 PM
whaa! Haytham's parts were great!

I mean to each their own but I understand why the intro was long. Then again I wish to balance out everything the game would have been a bit longer.

SixKeys
09-16-2013, 07:10 PM
I like Haytham's character, but his sequences are pretty boring upon replay. You don't have most of the weapons Connor does later, so you can't have fun with rope darts, treerunning or hunting. You're held on a pretty short leash with regard to exploration. And some of the missions are just plain boring, like the one where you have to sit on a slow-moving cart and watch your men take out the guards one by one. (That mission glitched out for me once so my men weren't actually doing anything. I had to sit through the long-*** ride twice, listening to the same long dialogue and hoping it wouldn't glitch out again.)

STDlyMcStudpants
09-16-2013, 08:05 PM
I kind of hope for a skyrim type deal where we do things and unlock at our own pace.
But this is a series based on sequence so it's highly unlikely :D
I would hope by time we are 60% through the game, we will have everything available to do or unlock (excluding map sections/ view points and collectibles)

Assassin_M
09-16-2013, 08:06 PM
I hope we can get ALL of Edward's abilities at the first minute of the game so it can be so boring to play hehehe, I like boring kiddie games

Sushiglutton
09-16-2013, 08:07 PM
I hope they have saved some really cool gameplay suprise that will be introduced halfway through.

STDlyMcStudpants
09-16-2013, 08:20 PM
I hope we can get ALL of Edward's abilities at the first minute of the game so it can be so boring to play hehehe, I like boring kiddie games

Lol exactly.
I like mastering items as i progress. I dont like being handed them all and chosing which i like best, because thats all i will use...
I actually like when a game forces me to get familiar with every tool like AC3 and Tomb Raider 2013

ArabianFrost
09-16-2013, 08:26 PM
4 hours. The same time that takes for the whole world with the side missions to open up. I don't imagine we can do all the side missions without full gear. Unlocking the gear is one thing, purchasing thing can be different though. I'd imagine you'd have to do a horrible deal of grinding and looting if you want all your gear 4 hours into the game. The ship stuff in AC3 was crazy expensive and couldn't be simply bought through storyline alone.

SixKeys
09-16-2013, 08:33 PM

AC1 had an interesting take on this. When you start the game as Alta´r, you already have all the abilities and equipment you can have, then they get taken away from you. The first time you're playing the game you don't know how to use all your skills during the attack on Masyaf, but on replays I always love being such a badass early in the game.

Assassin_M
09-16-2013, 08:35 PM
AC1 had an interesting take on this. When you start the game as Alta´r, you already have all the abilities and equipment you can have, then they get taken away from you. The first time you're playing the game you don't know how to use all your skills during the attack on Masyaf, but on replays I always love being such a badass early in the game.
Sure...as long as I get to actually WORK to gain or regain abilities and upgrades...AC I's progression was pretty basic and it worked, hopefully, AC IV's willingness to open up as quickly as possible wont make the developers too eager to just drop the idea of progression altogether...

RatonhnhakeFan
09-16-2013, 08:40 PM
I like Haytham's character, but his sequences are pretty boring upon replay. You don't have most of the weapons Connor does later, so you can't have fun with rope darts, treerunning or hunting. You're held on a pretty short leash with regard to exploration. And some of the missions are just plain boring, like the one where you have to sit on a slow-moving cart and watch your men take out the guards one by one. (That mission glitched out for me once so my men weren't actually doing anything. I had to sit through the long-*** ride twice, listening to the same long dialogue and hoping it wouldn't glitch out again.)

Yup, especially on replay it sucks. First time it's cool since it's basically the same gameplay as previous AC games but after getting tree-running, all the great new weapons (tomahawk, bow, rope dart), hunting, naval & crafting it's hard to go back to Haytham's "basic" levels.

SixKeys
09-16-2013, 08:44 PM
Oh, I agree. AC1's strength was that they did quickly take those skills away from you and you had to work to get them back. The reason I don't like New Game+ is because I don't like having all my equipment throughout the whole game, it makes it far too easy.

I like it when games have a section where most or all of your weapons get taken away for some reason (being captured etc.) and you have to make-do with the barest necessities before you get them back. The trouble is that often when you do get your stuff back, they give it all back at once. It would be more rewarding if the weapons were scattered or even if some of them were gone for good. (Do I really need a machine gun in my armory when I'm almost to the end of the game?)

Farlander1991
09-16-2013, 09:01 PM
AC1's way of doing this was a fairly traditional way of doing things, stuff like that was in old SNES games as well, for example. Getting a taste of power that's taken away from you. But from the narrative stand-point in AC1 it's really bad. Like, weapons-wise it makes sense, but skill-wise... Oh my god, my equipment was taken away from me, I forgot how to counter attacks! Oh my god, my equipment was taken away from me, I forgot how to shove away people while running! Seriously? >_<

Assassin_M
09-16-2013, 09:05 PM
AC1's way of doing this was a fairly traditional way of doing things, stuff like that was in old SNES games as well, for example. Getting a taste of power that's taken away from you. But from the narrative stand-point in AC1 it's really bad. Like, weapons-wise it makes sense, but skill-wise... Oh my god, my equipment was taken away from me, I forgot how to counter attacks! Oh my god, my equipment was taken away from me, I forgot how to shove away people while running! Seriously? >_<
Yeah that WAS kind of stupid...

LoyalACFan
09-17-2013, 12:29 AM

It was a bit lame, yes :p

I actually wasn't crazy about AC1's progression system anyway. I mean, it was okay, but once I got my hidden blade back, that's all I ever used since I played it as a hardcore stealth game. Everything else was just a little bonus. I'm liking what I've seen of AC4's approach, wherein everything seems to be available early on, but you've got to be rich as hell to get it all, meaning you've got to complete missions/forts/raids to get enough funds. IMO it''s a much more natural and relevant approach than "you've been a good boy, Altair, here's a present for you." And in the case of the diving bell, it actually opens up new areas for exploration instead of just some new moves or something.

RatonhnhakeFan
09-17-2013, 12:34 AM
Are they keeping anything from AC3 crafting system in AC4? Yes, the inventory was horrible but the idea of the system, being that you create your own upgrades from stuff you gather yourself was great, so much more rewarding than "bbuy upgrade in shop" from previous games. Better inventory and greater balance (cost/time vs requirements for crafted upgrades) would be all this system needed to be really great.

LoyalACFan
09-17-2013, 03:40 AM
Are they keeping anything from AC3 crafting system in AC4? Yes, the inventory was horrible but the idea of the system, being that you create your own upgrades from stuff you gather yourself was great, so much more rewarding than "bbuy upgrade in shop" from previous games. Better inventory and greater balance (cost/time vs requirements for crafted upgrades) would be all this system needed to be really great.

Supposedly you get supplies form harpooning that let you get new upgrades, but I don't think it's been confirmed one way or another if you actually have to craft them yourself. Either way, I don't really care. Ultimately, crafting is just navigating a menu and selecting stuff that you bought from your artisans and paying an extra fee to make them craft it for you. It's not really any more interesting than just directly buying upgrades IMO.

Megas_Doux
09-17-2013, 06:06 AM

Imagine Altair saying " I HATE you Al Mualim, allow me to use the counter and the ledge grabbing, it REALLY hurts" haha.

Farlander1991
09-17-2013, 07:14 AM
Imagine Altair saying " I HATE you Al Mualim, allow me to use the counter and the ledge grabbing, it REALLY hurts" haha.

Lol.

On a side-note, the ledge-grabbing skill disappearance/reappearance is the only one that makes sense, since you get the gloves when you get that skill back, and I imagine it would've been pretty painful to grab ledges midair without those.

SixKeys
09-17-2013, 10:38 AM
Lol.

On a side-note, the ledge-grabbing skill disappearance/reappearance is the only one that makes sense, since you get the gloves when you get that skill back, and I imagine it would've been pretty painful to grab ledges midair without those.

Ezio was able to do it without gloves...

Farlander1991
09-17-2013, 11:10 AM
Ezio was able to do it without gloves...

Yeah, well I'm speaking more in terms of AC1 in isolation, there's a lot that has been changed in AC2 in comparison to AC1. And I'm just saying that losing your skills in AC1 like counter, tackle, dodge, or pretty much everything else doesn't make any sense, except ledge grab which is accompanied by gloves.

Sturnz0r
09-17-2013, 01:43 PM
to do it for two characters was very tiresome in ACIII, especially when i didn't want to do it for one.

That being said, there looks to be many additions in BF.. I'm okay with subtitle directions in the first (three) sequences, though

ultimate sandbox

RatonhnhakeFan
09-17-2013, 03:08 PM
I'm okay with subtitle directions in the first (three) sequences, thoughI think everyone is, even if 3 sequences is actually already pushing it. But when you compare it to 5 sequences as in AC3 then well lol

ladyleonhart
09-17-2013, 05:14 PM
I really hope you don't get all of Edward's abilities and equipment straight away. >_< Otherwise, I will certainly refrain from using certain things and I much prefer to unlock abilities and equipment. For me, this makes it much more enjoyable and I like to feel that I've actually accomplished something rather than everything being handed to me. Also, having limitations will hopefully add to the difficulty.

Sushiglutton
09-17-2013, 05:30 PM
I really hope you don't get all of Edward's abilities and equipment straight away. >_< Otherwise, I will certainly refrain from using certain things and I much prefer to unlock abilities and equipment. For me, this makes it much more enjoyable and I like to feel that I've actually accomplished something rather than everything being handed to me. Also, having limitations will hopefully add to the difficulty.

Agreed, I've always liked the Zelda formula where you get one new toy/ dungeon