PDA

View Full Version : Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag - Next Gen Tech video

EscoBlades
09-12-2013, 04:59 PM
This new video is narrated by Associate Producer, Sylvain Trottier, and takes a look at some of the technical achievements of the game's next gen version. Enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D4TZdt5DuuI

Alternate link if needed (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AQTq1zzuVQg).

poptartz20
09-12-2013, 05:07 PM
Wow... it's nice seeing the Anvil Next Engine at work!

I wish It could have been used to it's fullest capabilities like this in AC3 but then again they were still developing it! ! -- Which until AC4, AC3 was the best one graphically to date. imo.

Thanks for the vid Esco!

pacmanate
09-12-2013, 05:11 PM
In your face PS3/60

RatonhnhakeFan
09-12-2013, 05:12 PM
I'm mad as hell Edward is getting all this next gen goodness treatement and not my baby :mad:

BTW, I think it actually looks better than Watch Dogs at this point lol, I mean, what happened? Why Watch Dogs downgraded since the first reveal?

ProletariatPleb
09-12-2013, 05:17 PM
FINALLY no peasantry!

All me eyecandy love....SOMEONE HOLD ME....HOLD MEEEEEEEE

poptartz20
09-12-2013, 05:17 PM
I'm mad as hell Edward is getting all this next gen goodness treatement and not my baby :mad:

BTW, I think it actually looks better than Watch Dogs at this point lol, I mean, what happened? Why Watch Dogs downgraded since the first reveal?

Really!? That's a disappointment! I haven't kept up with watchdogs for awhile because I wanted to go into that game completely in the dark! Wow! Now I'll have to go check it out!

Sushiglutton
09-12-2013, 05:19 PM
That's a really hot video :cool:! I enjoy stuff like this more than what is healthy. Very impressive stuff especially given the scope of the game.

Shahkulu101
09-12-2013, 05:34 PM
FINALLY no peasantry!

All me eyecandy love....SOMEONE HOLD ME....HOLD MEEEEEEEE

You have posted in an AC related thread. You are now officially back!

ProletariatPleb
09-12-2013, 05:37 PM
You have posted in an AC related thread. You are now officially back!
1.Videogames
2.Technology

Two things I live off, you expect me to give them up? Hearsay!

poptartz20
09-12-2013, 05:42 PM
so sid! what did you think! Tech wise! you know you like it... come on just admit it! :cool:

ProletariatPleb
09-12-2013, 05:44 PM
so sid! what did you think! Tech wise! you know you like it... come on just admit it! :cool:
But I never denied it, lol

http://puu.sh/4puP3.png

BATISTABUS
09-12-2013, 06:02 PM
I'm not a tech expert or anything, but that looks really really impressive.

ACfan443
09-12-2013, 06:03 PM
There's no denying ACBF will look beautiful on next gen, I've always been impressed by that dynamic foliage, it took me by surprise in the E3 demo.

Shahkulu101
09-12-2013, 06:07 PM
As soon as I conclude I'll get a PS4 next year they release this. :( Ack, first world problems eh? I know it's not worth it but still I can't resist!

poptartz20
09-12-2013, 06:10 PM
But I never denied it, lol

http://puu.sh/4puP3.png

haha... true. But eventually you'll like it enough to actually get and play the game and become fan again like you once were!

: | then again maybe I'm reaching a little too far on this one! lol!

ProletariatPleb
09-12-2013, 06:10 PM
I know it's not worth it
But you are wrong!

Shahkulu101
09-12-2013, 06:15 PM
But you are wrong!

I would get it on PC but it's no doubt delayed - it's cheaper isn't it? I can't wait for it though, if it's out I must have it. Would need to make a steam and whatnot as well.

ProletariatPleb
09-12-2013, 06:17 PM
I would get it on PC but it's no doubt delayed - it's cheaper isn't it? I can't wait for it though, if it's out I must have it. Would need to make a steam and whatnot as well.
PC/Next-gen, it's the same....for now.

And it's the same date as next-gen release as far as I know.

Shahkulu101
09-12-2013, 06:22 PM
PC/Next-gen, it's the same....for now.

And it's the same date as next-gen release as far as I know.

Going to have to steer clear of the forums to avoid spoilers if I wait for PC/next gen as well. I could get both editions but I would need...*gulp*...a job.

The bank of Mummy runs out quick during game season.

pacmanate
09-12-2013, 06:35 PM
There's no denying ACBF will look beautiful on next gen, I've always been impressed by that dynamic foliage, it took me by surprise in the E3 demo.

Yup. When I saw the leaves flopping around I was like :O

LoyalACFan
09-12-2013, 06:42 PM
But... but... but... I'm not getting a PS4 til next year!

http://25.media.tumblr.com/46d8829f4fe33bd5718a77e8245947f7/tumblr_mi2h99x9QR1qcy4dgo1_500.gif

You think Gamestop will still be running that "upgrade your games to nextgen for $10" thing?

ze_topazio
09-12-2013, 06:43 PM
They need to remade Venice with those graphics.

Shahkulu101
09-12-2013, 06:45 PM

A digitally remastered AC2 would be a dream come true, especially since graphics were the games weak point.

poptartz20
09-12-2013, 06:45 PM
But... but... but... I'm not getting a PS4 til next year!

http://25.media.tumblr.com/46d8829f4fe33bd5718a77e8245947f7/tumblr_mi2h99x9QR1qcy4dgo1_500.gif

You think Gamestop will still be running that "upgrade your games to nextgen for $10" thing?

Hahaha... I'm in the same boat as you. I hope they will still be running the deal. I really hope so. But they will probably only run it until the end of this year if not like end of January. Game Stop says power to the players but we all know where the power is. :(

LoyalACFan
09-12-2013, 06:50 PM
Hahaha... I'm in the same boat as you. I hope they will still be running the deal. I really hope so. But they will probably only run it until the end of this year if not like end of January. Game Stop says power to the players but we all know where the power is. :(

Yeah, unfortunately... I miss EB Games :( Maybe I'll just buy the PS3 version at launch, beat it, and trade it in for the PS4 version long before I actually get the console so I'll have it waiting for when I can actually buy a PS4? That way I can get the next-gen version without paying full price and I can also come on the Internet and not have to tiptoe around spoilers!

ProletariatPleb
09-12-2013, 06:52 PM
Reading your replies gives me so much satisfaction
http://i.minus.com/ibhixn5Uypm7rh.jpg

Wolfmeister1010
09-12-2013, 07:44 PM

i have always wanted this since the release of AC2.

I have always dreamnt of an AC that has no story, no campaign, no multiplayer, but just all of the past cities, remastered with anvilnext.

ladyleonhart
09-12-2013, 08:01 PM
Yeah, unfortunately... I miss EB Games :( Maybe I'll just buy the PS3 version at launch, beat it, and trade it in for the PS4 version long before I actually get the console so I'll have it waiting for when I can actually buy a PS4? That way I can get the next-gen version without paying full price and I can also come on the Internet and not have to tiptoe around spoilers!

I'm getting ACIV on PS3 as well, since I won't be getting a PS4 until late next year. Then, I would like it to be a spoiler-free experience too, of course. :) However, I'll be keeping my PS3 ACIV 'Skull Edition', since I bought it for the soundtrack. ;) It'll definitely be an expensive couple of months though, as I'm planning to buy certain PS4 games way before I get my console. Is that crazy...? Maybe. :p

pacmanate
09-12-2013, 08:07 PM
I'm getting ACIV on PS3 as well, since I won't be getting a PS4 until late next year. Then, I would like it to be a spoiler-free experience too, of course. :) However, I'll be keeping my PS3 ACIV 'Skull Edition', since I bought it for the soundtrack. ;) It'll definitely be an expensive couple of months though, as I'm planning to buy certain PS4 games way before I get my console. Is that crazy...? Maybe. :p

I always get these things but never listen to them :|

lothario-da-be
09-12-2013, 08:45 PM
Nice video, but why don't they show us the difference between current and next gen?

ProletariatPleb
09-12-2013, 08:48 PM
Nice video, but why don't they show us the difference between current and next gen?
It would probably be along the lines of this...

Next:
http://i.imgur.com/ZG22G2X.png

Current:
http://i.imgur.com/9pZjEh0.jpg

pacmanate
09-12-2013, 08:49 PM

Because Current Gen will pretty much look like AC3.

ladyleonhart
09-12-2013, 08:50 PM

If they did, it would probably ruin the illusion. ;)

Then, personally, I'm happy not knowing for now. ;)

lothario-da-be
09-12-2013, 08:50 PM

Next:

Current:
Please tell me this isn't true.

lothario-da-be
09-12-2013, 08:51 PM
If they did, it would probably ruin the illusion. ;)

Then, personally, I'm happy not knowing for now. ;)
Yeah probably this, the ps3 footage would only decrease hype.

pacmanate
09-12-2013, 08:53 PM
Please tell me this isn't true.

Its true.

lothario-da-be
09-12-2013, 08:55 PM
Its true.
* dreams about last current gen goty instantly destroyed *
Meh, this means i will have too wait maybe 2 years before being able to play WD. PS4 won't enter my house first 15 months afther release.

AnthonyA85
09-12-2013, 08:56 PM
That was a very good video. I always like seeing the game while it's running in "edit mode" like this, you get to see things that are hidden in the actual game (navmeshes, locators, markers, wireframes, ect)

If Ubi ever licensed AnvilNext out to indie developers and small studios, Crytek, Epic Games and Unity Tech would be crying with despair :P

Though i really do like the dynamic effects they're putting into this. I'm very happy that I now have a x64-bit Os and a DX11 card in my system, sadly though, i'm still using a 2.0 GHz Q-Core CPU, an old one, but then again, I never play my games with all the settings on max.

But why do i get the feeling that some of these dynamic features are gonna be NVidia dependant? Which would mean if you have an AMD card you're missing out.

ProletariatPleb
09-12-2013, 09:02 PM
If Ubi ever licensed AnvilNext out to indie developers and small studios, Crytek, Epic Games and Unity Tech would be crying with despair :P
http://i.minus.com/iCk6OdilzgGkD.jpg

But why do i get the feeling that some of these dynamic features are gonna be NVidia dependant? Which would mean if you have an AMD card you're missing out.
because that is correct, for a lot of games coming out. I regret rolling with AMD, will switch next year.

The statement:

According to the press release, NVIDIA’s Developer Technology Team is working closely with Ubisoft’s development studios on incorporating graphics technology innovations to create game worlds that deliver new heights of realism and immersion. One example is TXAA antialiasing, which provides Hollywood-levels of smooth animation, soft shadows, HBAO+ (horizon-based ambient occlusion) and advanced DX11 tessellation.

Ureh
09-12-2013, 09:07 PM
I stopped at the 1 min mark, just couldn't take it anymore. Too much beauty in such a large dose... it hurts so right. o.O

menumaxibestof
09-12-2013, 09:20 PM
Its true.

Who said that ? No one. Assumptions, nothing more.

You should have checked Jonathan Morin's twitter account, he explained that this video was a mistake. It is not representative of any version of the game.

pacmanate
09-12-2013, 09:22 PM
Who said that ? No one. Assumptions, nothing more.

You should have checked Jonathan Morin's twitter account, he explained that this video was a mistake. It is not representative of any version of the game.

Doesn't matter. Do you honestly think that they captured this footage, had it all planned out, camera angles and everything, only for it to be a "mistake".

They knew what they were recording, dont be so naive. There is no way you can do all that stuff and go "Oh, yeah.... um... that was the wrong footage we scripted, edited and captured. The "REAL" one looks better, but we won't show you that".

lothario-da-be
09-12-2013, 09:29 PM
Doesn't matter. Do you honestly think that they captured this footage, had it all planned out, camera angles and everything, only for it to be a "mistake".

They knew what they were recording, dont be so naive. There is no way you can do all that stuff and go "Oh, yeah.... um... that was the wrong footage we scripted, edited and captured. The "REAL" one looks better, but we won't show you that".
Well that screenshot looked awfull for a ps3 game imo. I have a hard time believing that is how the game will look.

ProletariatPleb
09-12-2013, 09:30 PM
Well that screenshot looked awfull for a ps3 game imo. I have a hard time believing that is how the game will look.
The 'screenshot' comes from a whole trailer that looks like that

lothario-da-be
09-12-2013, 09:31 PM
The 'screenshot' comes from a whole trailer that looks like that
Where can i find it? Or did they delete everything?

ProletariatPleb
09-12-2013, 09:34 PM
Where can i find it? Or did they delete everything?
Idk why it looks so bad...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VpemyeVjppc

ProletariatPleb
09-12-2013, 09:37 PM
I think the damage control statement was, "this footage is 3 years old" or something like that...

Yeah I'm sure they already thought Aisha Tyler would be playing a role 3 years ago.

lothario-da-be
09-12-2013, 09:38 PM
Idk why it looks so bad...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VpemyeVjppc
Hmmm weird. Weird vid too.

x___Luffy___x
09-12-2013, 09:46 PM
holy ****. the game looks awesome. can't wait to get lost in this beautiful world.

and that watch dogs demo is horrible. its looks like a completely different game.

SixKeys
09-12-2013, 09:47 PM
I had to check just in case and yay, I have a Nvidia card. :D

This video looks too good to be true. I don't want to set myself up for a disappointment in case the game doesn't end up looking like this after all. But godd*mn, those are some beautiful graphics. I can't decide which one makes me drool more, the storms or the foliage.

Next:

Current:

Damn, what happened?

Jexx21
09-12-2013, 09:48 PM
Watch_Dogs wasn't originally going to release on current-gen, that's what happened.

ProletariatPleb
09-12-2013, 09:48 PM
I can't decide which one makes me drool more, the storms or the foliage.
Let me help you then, foliage and trees :p

menumaxibestof
09-12-2013, 09:51 PM

And you honestly think the game is so ugly on PS3/360 that it can't even reach the graphics of AC 3 ?

Anyway, that's not the topic.

pacmanate
09-12-2013, 09:51 PM
Damn, what happened?

I think it was made for PC and Next Gen initially. I think they decided to put it on this gen some point halfway through development. And this is what happened. IGN Said they saw the PS3 version in action ages ago and said it wasn't pretty.

pacmanate
09-12-2013, 09:52 PM
And you honestly think the game is so ugly on PS3/360 that it can't even reach the graphics of AC 3 ?

Anyway, that's not the topic.

Yes, read post above.

Shahkulu101
09-12-2013, 09:52 PM
Well at least I don't need to buy two copies of watchdogs. That's really a disaster - the current gen graphics actually make me squirm with disgust. It will be a nice Christmas present along with my PS4. :D

ProletariatPleb
09-12-2013, 09:54 PM
the current gen graphics actually make me squirm with disgust.
Welcome to the club.

SixKeys
09-12-2013, 09:56 PM
Does this mean even the next-gen version of Watch_Dogs has been downgraded? Or is it just the PS3 version?

pacmanate
09-12-2013, 10:00 PM
Does this mean even the next-gen version of Watch_Dogs has been downgraded? Or is it just the PS3 version?

Just PS3, why would PS4 get a "downgrade"?

Edit: PS3 actually never got a downgrade. It just looks ****.

ProletariatPleb
09-12-2013, 10:02 PM
No. I think it's just that when they had to shove it down to medieval hardware they had to strip it of most effects...and it resulted in this. And the textures were obviously downscaled a lot.

ACfan443
09-12-2013, 10:04 PM
Pre ordered the PS4 a while back, but I've been contemplating for quite some time as to whether I should buy the curren gen version first since the PS4's release is a whole month after PS3/360's. I don't want to risk being left with an unpleasant aftertaste of mediocre current gen visuals. Decisions decisions.

Shahkulu101
09-12-2013, 10:05 PM
They're nearly as bad as GTA IV. :| Maybe they'll be touched up before release, it can't look exactly as bad as that. I would expect at least minor improvements from...that which shall not be named.

ProletariatPleb
09-12-2013, 10:06 PM
Pre ordered the PS4 a while back, but I've been contemplating for quite some time as to whether I should buy the curren gen version first since the PS4's release is a whole month after PS3/360's. I don't want to risk being left with an unpleasant aftertaste of mediocre current gen visuals. Decisions decisions.
Wait and play the superior definitive version, swiney!

Jexx21
09-12-2013, 10:08 PM

..uh. It's 2 weeks. not a month

ACfan443
09-12-2013, 10:08 PM
Wait and play the superior definitive version, swiney!

I think I shall, that next gen foliage is calling to me.

..uh. It's 2 weeks. not a month

Uhh, I live in the UK.

superkootje
09-12-2013, 10:12 PM
What exaclty is going to be the difference between the PS3 and PS4 verison?
I want to know everything, on the spot, in detail!

Jexx21
09-12-2013, 10:13 PM
Uhh, I live in the UK.

those racist[word removed]

ACfan443
09-12-2013, 10:27 PM
those racist bastards

Also, $399 converts to roughly 250, yet the RRP for the PS4 in the UK is 350, which is absolutely ****ing absurd. It happens with virtually all international products, discrimination I tell ya.

Although I heard Australia fares worse when it comes to conversion rates.

SixKeys
09-12-2013, 11:26 PM
Just PS3, why would PS4 get a "downgrade"?

Edit: PS3 actually never got a downgrade. It just looks ****.

I figured maybe they had to strip down some of the game's planned features in order to make all content available on both next-gen and current-gen machines, hence resulting in both versions being compromised in one way or another. (Kind of like how AC3 could have benefitted a lot from being next-gen, but they had no choice but to make do with current technology.) I'm glad if that isn't the case though.

Mr_Shade
09-13-2013, 10:54 AM
Its true.
Is it?

Thought that the team went on record to say that the WD graphics where not representative of the final game..?

However have to point out the obvious - people expecting the same level of graphical detail on any PS3/Xbox 360 to match PS4 and Xbox One - maybe disappointed..

Can we please get back to the topic of AC - if you wish to talk about Watch_Dogs - we do have a forum for it ;)

Don't forget - any comments in here, are used for reports / seen by the team - so lets keep it on topic ;)

RatonhnhakeFan
09-13-2013, 08:36 PM
Don't forget - any comments in here, are used for reports / seen by the team - so lets keep it on topic ;)O rly?

In that case, where is my Raton sequel devs?! /ragequit :mad:

ze_topazio
09-13-2013, 09:36 PM
Raton is Spanish for mouse.

Dutchman141
09-16-2013, 10:18 PM
I just read an article about this next gen tech video on Gamerant.com and I read the following quote:

"Although this trailer is billed as a closer look at Assassin’s Creed 4: Black Flag’s next-gen open world, it’s important to point out the same moving parts will be at work in the PS3, 360, and Wii U versions of the game. Obviously, they will look better on Sony and Microsoft’s forthcoming consoles, but that doesn’t mean current-gen players will be left completely in the dust."

Either Ubisoft isn't showing any current gen material because that would affect the reason to get a next-gen console or the guy in the article realy doesn't know what he's talking about.
Personaly I would be in utter awe if it, the moving plants etc, were true and Ubisoft could get this out of the current gen consoles, I'm not betting on it though.

ze_topazio
09-16-2013, 11:40 PM
If I'm not mistaken some journalists who saw the current gen version said it looks better than AC3 and it's only slightly worse looking than the next gen version.

deskp
09-17-2013, 01:51 AM
Well the caribbean is bound to look more impressive than the cold grey parts of revolutionairy america.

Ubi isnt showing the current gen version because it makes a whole lot mroe sense to show of its best looking option....

it'll look great on all consoles, as ac3 looked great before it. But the impressive enw detail are obviosuly only on next gen.

Mr_Shade
09-17-2013, 07:38 PM
To be honest, as always...

All game companies show the best looking version, in sexy trailers - since that's the 'ideal' version of it.

Having said that - the team WILL be making the best looking and playing game possible on EVERY format - so please don't worry :)

RatonhnhakeFan
09-17-2013, 09:37 PM
All game companies show the best looking version, in sexy trailers - since that's the 'ideal' version of it.
Sure but Ubisoft has really surpassed everyone with ACL Vita bullshots xP

http://s.pro-gmedia.com/videogamer/media/images/psvita/assassins_creed_3_liberation/screens/assassins_creed_3_liberation_14_605x.jpg

I mean, c'mon xD

Mr_Shade
09-17-2013, 09:41 PM
Concept Artwork - is something different from a screenshot - it's intended to show the feeling and drama of a game - not be a pixel perfect copy.

Same idea as early test footage or targeted visuals - it's to give an idea..

And tbh - all are tools used by all game producers.

Black_Widow9
09-18-2013, 02:14 AM
This just stunned me.... now I may have to get a NextGen Console... :'(

Mr_Shade
09-18-2013, 05:34 PM
This just stunned me.... now I may have to get a NextGen Console... :'(
You KNOW you want too..

Time to ask Ed for a pay rise ;)

roostersrule2
09-18-2013, 11:31 PM
You KNOW you want too..

Time to ask Ed for a pay rise ;)Well I know's he was a pirate but to still be able to pay people 200 years later, wow, ole Edward did make some coin.

EscoBlades
09-19-2013, 10:49 PM
You KNOW you want too..

Time to ask Ed for a pay rise ;)

*cough cough* :cool:

Mr_Shade
09-20-2013, 11:01 AM
*cough cough* :cool:
ooh can we ask you for a pay rise too? :)

Can't wait till Eurogamer now, to see peoples reactions to the game :)

Are you going to be there me ol' hearty?

EscoBlades
09-20-2013, 11:42 AM
ooh can we ask you for a pay rise too? :)

Can't wait till Eurogamer now, to see peoples reactions to the game :)

Are you going to be there me ol' hearty?

Not 100% sure yet. You know...working on stuff...and things ;)

Sushiglutton
09-30-2013, 12:56 PM
Ha I never thought I would be excited about plants, but I can't get over just how cool these new stalking zones look :D. It's so awesome that you can't see Edward, but only the foliage gently swaying as Edward moves through it. It's so predator like. Love it!

pacmanate
09-30-2013, 01:23 PM
Ha I never thought I would be excited about plants, but I can't get over just how cool these new stalking zones look :D. It's so awesome that you can't see Edward, but only the foliage gently swaying as Edward moves through it. It's so predator like. Love it!

Its almost sexual. How they just wrap around him. I love it!

Thats one of my main next gen happinessess

Dag_B
09-30-2013, 02:25 PM
Its almost sexual. How they just wrap around him. I love it!

Thats one of my main next gen happinessess
http://i.imgur.com/NHgXwci.png