PDA

View Full Version : WW2 gun questions

azpilot
06-19-2004, 10:00 PM
Some nagging questions i was hoping some kind soul would answer for me.

1: On AC with cowl mounted guns, where did the spent cases go? On the 109's and some soviet fighters, I have seen cutaways that show neither a chute for ejection, nor a collector box.
2: were the spent cases brought back by bombers from their defensive MG's reloaded, or just smelted to make new ones.
3: on bombers with a "ball" turret, where did the cases go? I have never seen footage of them being ejected, but I cant see how the gunner could have all that hot brass rolling around in there with him.

Thanks

azpilot
06-19-2004, 10:00 PM
Some nagging questions i was hoping some kind soul would answer for me.

1: On AC with cowl mounted guns, where did the spent cases go? On the 109's and some soviet fighters, I have seen cutaways that show neither a chute for ejection, nor a collector box.
2: were the spent cases brought back by bombers from their defensive MG's reloaded, or just smelted to make new ones.
3: on bombers with a "ball" turret, where did the cases go? I have never seen footage of them being ejected, but I cant see how the gunner could have all that hot brass rolling around in there with him.

Thanks

Red_Russian13
06-19-2004, 10:09 PM
Interesting question. I'm sure someone here will know the answer.

Red Russian

Shifty101
06-20-2004, 12:34 AM
I am by no means an expert but as I understand it, the shells from turret gunners and such on B-17s were ejected out of the plane, there are chutes that can be seen on the ball turret of B-17's I believe. As for cowl guns on planes like the 109 I don't know. I am interested to hear this too.

http://www.geocities.com/agrill101/Sig.jpg.txt

Dawg-of-death
06-20-2004, 12:42 AM
If you look close you can see your spent shells being ejected out the bottom of the plane on most fighters fighters. On bombers I don't realy know but materials were in high demand. ...... Rationing went on quit a bit at that time ......You couldnt buy a car from 1941-1945. Try and find a 1943 ford automobile. There arn't any. I bet they reloaded or at least recycled.

BadM-F(Mongrel-Fighter)...... AKA Dawg-of-death
Former Member... Kelly Johnsons...Skunk Works

Zyzbot
06-20-2004, 08:38 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Shifty101:
I am by no means an expert but as I understand it, the shells from turret gunners and such on B-17s were ejected out of the plane, there are chutes that can be seen on the ball turret of B-17's I believe. As for cowl guns on planes like the 109 I don't know. I am interested to hear this too.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I found this comment about spent shell casings from a narrative about a B-17 crew:

"Sanchez in the top turret swung his guns around, the spent shells tumbling to the floor as he poured bullets into the fighter. His victory shriek was echoed by a half dozen voices as the Messerschmitt rolled lazily, smoke pouring from its engine as it peeled away, mortally wounded before nose diving into a spin that it was never going to pull out of.

Buck kicked aside some of the brass casings accumulating around his feet and paused in his firing for a moment, seeking another target. "

Brotrob
06-20-2004, 09:04 AM
Hello, on the 109 the spent cases from the cowling-MGs and the ones frome the Engine-cannon were ejectioned through long rectangular ducts which passed straight down to the bottomn of the fuselage .

Sarpedon688
06-21-2004, 05:46 PM
I don't know about the casings on a B-17 ball turret but heres a pic and an account by Sgt Ben Phelper gunner on the 833rd BS B-17G 'Sack Time' on the links.

The spent links from the ammunition belts scrambled and churned around the lower part of my glass. I could smell the burnt powder and realised my oxygen line was leaking. My guns were red hot and the turret filled with links when the last fighter dove out of range and disappeared.
'I was wet with sweat as I swung my turret scanning the sky and giving the ship the once over."Whew!" What a relief! No new holes; everything okay! As I gyrated slowly back and forth, from nose to left wingtip, downward, back to nose and repeat, I was shoving links out through the link chute opening.

http://img78.photobucket.com/albums/v260/Sarpedon688/B-17.jpg

'Sack time' was shot down later in the same mission and Sgt Phelper bailed out He was captured and imprisoned at Stalag XVII B. The picture is one that he drew there and hid from the guards

x6BL_Brando
06-21-2004, 07:17 PM
I can tell you that casings would not be reloadable. Heat deformation would take care of that, as well as being trodden on and kicked around the deck as with the waist-gunner example.

Funnily enough, the links could have been reused - but I doubt if the guy in the ball-turret would have been too happy!

Shifty101
06-21-2004, 07:47 PM
I guess I am mistaken then, thanks for pointing that out guys! Like I said I am no expert.

BennyMoore
06-21-2004, 08:21 PM
Well, I know that spent casings can be reloaded. My brother does it regularly, and I have done it on occasion. Personally, I don't find it worth the time, but that's not the point. The point is that brass can be reloaded.

Zyzbot
06-21-2004, 09:11 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by BennyMoore:
Well, I know that spent casings can be reloaded. My brother does it regularly, and I have done it on occasion. Personally, I don't find it worth the time, but that's not the point. The point is that brass can be reloaded.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Here is all you need for 50 caliber reloading!

http://www.impactguns.com/store/.50_cal_loading_info.html

azpilot
06-21-2004, 09:18 PM
Thaks for the responses. I am truly impressed by the vast amounts of obscure knowledge floating around here.

Shifty101
06-22-2004, 04:40 PM
Well I was just dinking around on the net earlier and came across this pic.
http://www.photodump.com/direct/Shifty101/BallTurret.jpg
As you can see, there is most definatly a chute for the spent shells/links to go.